Author Topic: Newest worst commercials on TV  (Read 49353 times)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Re: Newest worst commercials on TV
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2013, 11:37:40 PM »
I don't see how one can watch commercial TV and then complain about commercials.  To me, it's just not worth it.  Yes, I REALLY like certain TV shows, but I am willing to wait until they arrive at my library on DVD.  Then I watch them for free, with no commercials.  Yes, I REALLY like watching professional tennis, but I have managed to live without watching the tennis I can't find for free on the internet.  For the most part, I have a commercial-free life, and I am SO happy with it.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2013, 12:14:04 PM »
I don't see how one can watch commercial TV and then complain about commercials.

To me, the commercials are usually the most interesting part.  I don't really watch TV (don't even own one), but see it when I'm visiting friends.  I suppose it would get old if you saw them all the time, but to me it's almost like reading the occasional "Dear Prudence" column: a peek into another reality.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2013, 05:44:31 PM »
I had forgotten about this one:

Toys R Us has a new ad campaign that blatantly undermines the value of education.

The commercial depicts bored, yawning kids on a school bus labeled "Meet the Trees Foundation" as they begin a nature-oriented field trip. The kids then jump for joy at the guide’s announcement that they’re actually taking a school trip to Toys R Us. The ad explicitly promotes material consumption over schools, science and the environment.

Toys R Us’ commercial reinforces the notion that education and exploration are necessarily boring in comparison to material things. The marketing campaign not only focuses children in the wrong direction, it burdens parents by undermining their efforts to make their children enthusiastic about school activities. The commercial is irresponsible and contrary to American values.

Please sign this petition asking them to pull the ad:  http://action.citizen.org/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=12357

MrsHybrid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2013, 05:44:29 AM »
My husband and I call that open heart jewelry "fish hooks." I'd catch so much fish using one of those diamond-encrusted suckers! :D
(and yes, it works - see loads of those stupid things)

I call that line of jewelry "double butt" cause they look like two rear ends glued together.

Nothing like a pair of diamond encrusted hineys to show your love. :)

This is hilarious (and sick). I'm sure NAMBLA especially loves the little heart/big heart ones! Gross!

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2013, 12:12:34 PM »
(For the record, no cable or Hulu, I have a $10 set of rabbit ears.)

There some new bank commercial that keeps running where the script says, "And the best part of our new (monthly pay) service?  No more surprise overdraft fees!" 

What pray tell, dear MMM community, is a "surprise overdraft fee"?  If there's a demand and people are paying money to protect themselves against it, it must be a fairly regular occurrence for many.

My mind goes:  "Overdraft"?  Wrong.  "Surprise"?  Wrong.  "Fee"?  Wrong.  How people have mixed those three idiocies together into a financially toxic bouillabaisse of insanity is completely beyond my comprehension.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2013, 12:44:47 PM »
I had forgotten about this one:

Toys R Us has a new ad campaign that blatantly undermines the value of education.

The commercial depicts bored, yawning kids on a school bus labeled "Meet the Trees Foundation" as they begin a nature-oriented field trip. The kids then jump for joy at the guide’s announcement that they’re actually taking a school trip to Toys R Us. The ad explicitly promotes material consumption over schools, science and the environment.

Toys R Us’ commercial reinforces the notion that education and exploration are necessarily boring in comparison to material things. The marketing campaign not only focuses children in the wrong direction, it burdens parents by undermining their efforts to make their children enthusiastic about school activities. The commercial is irresponsible and contrary to American values.

Please sign this petition asking them to pull the ad:  http://action.citizen.org/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=12357

I agree, this was a terrible idea from the very beginning. And I would feel that way even if I weren't a forester.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2013, 12:55:28 PM »
Thanks for giving me a place to vent...

Have you seen the one for Nature's Bounty Cereal?
The one where the woman is out on a trail and the bear points her in the right direction??
Then they are sitting side by side on a treestump, presumably eating cereal together???

Little does she know she's about to become his next meal...

Where is PETA when you need them?

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2013, 01:17:26 PM »
The one that bugs me (on the rare occasion that I'm watching commercial TV) is the one for one of the cable or satellite companies that shows how much cable/satellite TV can enhance your life when you're doing other things.  In one scene, we see kids in a tent watching TV on handheld devices while the rest of the family experiences the outdoors around a campfire.  In another, we see an extended family at a family function talking to each, except for the lucky people on the couch who are watching "Family Guy."  Don't get me wrong, there are certain people in my family who would drive me to an extreme like watching "Family Guy" if that were my only alternative, but I think in this situation I'd find something else to do, like playing with the kids or getting somebody to play cards or a board game or something with me. 

That commercial just makes me sad, like the message is, "Why experience life when you can watch TV??!!"

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2013, 01:35:23 PM »
Well, since the commercial is shown to people who are watching TV, it kind of makes sense, doesn't it?

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2013, 02:39:40 PM »
I once saw an ad for a bank that was offering a free iPad to people who opened a checking account. A very slimy marketing tactic: I don't know exactly how much an iPad is worth and I'm likely to over-value it by consulting something like the retail price. The problem is that it's a depreciating asset so if I keep it it's not worth even a fair initial price. And this is coming from a bank, which should be marketing itself as a trustworthy partner for me and my finances but is actually, quite blatantly, trying to trick me.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2013, 11:15:33 AM »
There's a new one for the local mall that I find absolutely disgusting in every way. I was trying to find a transcript, but I couldn't so I have to do it from memory (not a direct quote but you'll get the jist...)

Woman's voice: "Hey girls, When Thanksgiving is over and you've slaved away over the hot stove all day, cooked, cleaned, and even done all the dishes with NO help whatsoever from that buzzsaw that is passed out on the couch, it's time to do something for yourself. Come on down to XX mall which opens at midnight. Score deals for the kids for the holidays and pick up something for yourself too"....etc etc.

It's awful. And I don't think I even did the first part justice....it slams the husband/partner as a totally useless imbecile....so you should go spend money to make yourself feel better...right?

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2013, 12:06:03 PM »
Well, since the commercial is shown to people who are watching TV, it kind of makes sense, doesn't it?

Only in False Dichotomy World.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2013, 01:41:44 PM »
You know what really gets me?  I hate that there is now so much product placement within shows on TV.  You can't watch "The Walking Dead" without basically watching blatant product placement for Hyundai everywhere. 

No show was worse with this than "Chuck" on NBC a few years ago.  The fans saved the show from cancellation by organizing group visits to the show's sponsor, Subway, so Subway put ads directly into the show.  The characters would go to Subway constantly and talk about the sandwiches without it having any relation to the plot of the episode.  It was so annoying.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2013, 07:19:05 PM »
You know what really gets me?  I hate that there is now so much product placement within shows on TV.  You can't watch "The Walking Dead" without basically watching blatant product placement for Hyundai everywhere. 

No show was worse with this than "Chuck" on NBC a few years ago.  The fans saved the show from cancellation by organizing group visits to the show's sponsor, Subway, so Subway put ads directly into the show.  The characters would go to Subway constantly and talk about the sandwiches without it having any relation to the plot of the episode.  It was so annoying.

The first season of Chuck was a lot of fun, and that show had so much potential.  Too bad the writing fell off so badly after Season 1.  Did David Kelley write the first season and then get bored and leave it to a bunch of hacks like so many other of his shows?  (Kidding, know he wasn't part of this show)

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2013, 09:06:45 PM »

That stupid new Robin Williams show is like an entire commercial (the couple of episodes I watched anyway before realizing how horrendous it is).  Truly awful.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2013, 10:32:24 AM »

To me, "Heroes" was worse.  Well, to be fair, you could probably say it was "as bad," since it was also on NBC at the same time.  There were whole plotlines around "We have to get the Nissan Versa because it's what we were driving in this comic book that predicts the future!"  Then there were the quotes in the second season where, for example, the teenage girl is given the family car as a gift, and she says "The Nissan Rogue?  You're giving me the NISSAN ROGUE?"

Gross.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2013, 10:25:32 PM »
I have a new candidate for worst, though I don't know if it's the commercial or the actual product.  Went to friends' place for dinner, and the young grandkids were there watching cartoons.  Commercial comes on for a game/toy called the "Doggiedoodoo".  There's this plastic dog toy, the kid stuffs "food" in its mouth, and they do some sort of game activity until it comes out the other end.

ocandelario

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2013, 08:03:40 AM »
I have a new candidate for worst, though I don't know if it's the commercial or the actual product.  Went to friends' place for dinner, and the young grandkids were there watching cartoons.  Commercial comes on for a game/toy called the "Doggiedoodoo".  There's this plastic dog toy, the kid stuffs "food" in its mouth, and they do some sort of game activity until it comes out the other end.
I think you mean the Doggie Doo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDyOD1C67J0

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2013, 06:05:01 PM »
Not on TV, but I just saw a web ad from Green Giant vegetables with the slogan, "Less DOING, and more CELEBRATING!"  I guess it was about using their products to make quick, semi-homemade snacks.
Because, you know, spending time together in the kitchen making family recipes from scratch wouldn't be celebrating the holidays.

acanthurus

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2013, 11:40:55 AM »
Rent-a-Tire: "The best decision I ever made!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDYyIrkYZGM

Peanut Butter

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2013, 12:11:25 PM »
I don't see how one can watch commercial TV and then complain about commercials.

To me, the commercials are usually the most interesting part.  I don't really watch TV (don't even own one), but see it when I'm visiting friends.  I suppose it would get old if you saw them all the time, but to me it's almost like reading the occasional "Dear Prudence" column: a peek into another reality.

+1 - I hadn't listed to the radio in almost 3+ years (when I had a car I lived in a town with no radio, so it was all my own music, then when I moved into a larger city I never drove my car...) but then these last two weeks I've had use of my mom's SUV. The commercials are so WEIRD. I feel like that guy in that movie when he gets those glasses...

Miamoo

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2013, 01:31:37 PM »

That goes for 99% of trucks though. I hauled more shit in my 4banger S-10 than probably 95% of all 1/2 ton pickups.
[/quote]

My husband would worship at your S-10 altar.  Best little truck.  Now searching for a used Colorado to replace the one that just pooped out.  Maybe we should go back to the S-10?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2013, 03:02:09 PM »
- Black Friday furniture financing commercials (WHAT!? are you serious? I don't even WAIT WHAT?!?! GTFO)

- Commercials promising to get you on disability (there was a recent 60 minutes part about this, mind = blown)

- Any student loan "relief programme", usually aired between 1am and 3am as people stumble out of bars, between ads for pizza.

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2013, 03:25:06 PM »
Any holiday automobile advert that talks about "Holiday Savings end soon..." just rankles me... as if I link any car purchase I have ever made to the Christmas holidays.  I think they are trying to through back to the Clark Griswalds holiday bonus check, even though most performance bonuses I have seen this millenium are timed for distribution after year end close.

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2013, 09:01:57 PM »
Some Black Friday car ad (no idea what car company): One woman telling how she got up before dawn to "save hundreds" on the bags of stuff she's unloading from her car.  Neighbor replies that she slept till noon, "saved thousands" as they both look at the shiny new vehicle in her driveway.  First woman looks dejected and moans "Oh...".

Buying stuff does not count as "saving" money.  Yikes!

Mr. Minsc

• Stubble
    • ThriftyHamster
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2013, 09:52:06 AM »
Any anti-depressant ad on Hulu.  Why do they liken depressed people to emotionless wind-up toys? Maybe it's to make people even more depressed...such evil genius!

Sadly that happy-go-lucky co-worker we all know and love very well could be highly depressed.

Anyways, I don't really have a "worst" commercial.  I do notice I view commercials differently since coming here.  Take this one for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GR_gelar1I

I see all the little presentation tricks used to make the Quick-Clip Lights seem so much more appealing compared to traditional methods of hanging lights.  I can also see how those clips can break and you'll eventually be forced back to using traditional hanging methods. ;)

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2013, 09:56:49 AM »
Some Black Friday car ad (no idea what car company): One woman telling how she got up before dawn to "save hundreds" on the bags of stuff she's unloading from her car.  Neighbor replies that she slept till noon, "saved thousands" as they both look at the shiny new vehicle in her driveway.  First woman looks dejected and moans "Oh...".

Buying stuff does not count as "saving" money.  Yikes!

GMC.

They have another one with two guys that are neighbors where the one guy comes out of his car with a black eye from "fighting black friday shoppers."

Lentils5eva

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2013, 11:05:47 AM »
oooh, I just HAD to chime in on this one.  While we were visiting relatives for thanksgiving, my fiancee and I were exposed to commercials for the first time in months since we cancelled our cable, and both of us found it shockingly off-putting.  The very worst one is an AT&T commercial, where this woman is walking through a mall with two kids.  She is saying something like "Dad's gift has to be perfect this year.  We don't want a repeat of last year's incident" and then she turns to the kids and asks if she can count on them.

It actually gives me the chills.  It just strikes me as a domestic abuse situation. "Don't want to be around Daddy if we don't get him exactly the right thing for Christmas this year!"

*shudders*

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2013, 11:29:45 AM »
oooh, I just HAD to chime in on this one.  While we were visiting relatives for thanksgiving, my fiancee and I were exposed to commercials for the first time in months since we cancelled our cable, and both of us found it shockingly off-putting.  The very worst one is an AT&T commercial, where this woman is walking through a mall with two kids.  She is saying something like "Dad's gift has to be perfect this year.  We don't want a repeat of last year's incident" and then she turns to the kids and asks if she can count on them.

It actually gives me the chills.  It just strikes me as a domestic abuse situation. "Don't want to be around Daddy if we don't get him exactly the right thing for Christmas this year!"

*shudders*

I also saw that one over Thanksgiving. What boggled my mind is that nowhere in the ad do they mention COST. When they say "$0 down" I immediately think "oh, we're going to talk numbers now, okay. How much per month? What's the retail value of the phone? What APR does that payment boil down to?" then I'm confused when the ad ends...

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2013, 01:02:04 PM »
OK, so here's two:

TitleMax:  This one really irks me, b/c the slogan is "I got my title back w/TitleMax!"  To which I always want to yell back, if you didn't spend everything you made and then some, you would have your title in the first place!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOLtL_Yn6uY

Best Commercial EVER: Lending Tree's "I'm in debt up to my eyeballs!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HX4a5P8eE

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2013, 02:08:40 PM »
That is pretty funny. It's too bad the company it's for is one of the most despicable in existence.

Business model:
1. Collect personal information from people on website
2. Sell personal information to shady lenders
3. Profit!!!

Daniel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2013, 02:32:30 PM »
Here was my favorite from watching football on Thanksgiving (I know, I'm sorry).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWruMu9QPIg

It's just so creepy to me for some reason.

ArcticaMT6

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2013, 02:38:03 PM »
Heard one on the radio where the mom was saying that now that they have Xfinity cable, their family will no longer be depressed anymore.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2013, 03:25:26 PM »
That is pretty funny. It's too bad the company it's for is one of the most despicable in existence.

Business model:
3. Profit!!!

Very true!  When I originally thought of it, I was almost certain it was an SNL Skit, not an actual commercial.  As it turns out, there was an old SNL skit that's very applicable today.  I can't seem to find a good link for the skit, but here's the link to the transcript:  http://snltranscripts.jt.org/05/05lbuy.phtml

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2013, 07:31:33 PM »

Business model:
3. Profit!!!

Very true!  When I originally thought of it, I was almost certain it was an SNL Skit, not an actual commercial.  As it turns out, there was an old SNL skit that's very applicable today.  I can't seem to find a good link for the skit, but here's the link to the transcript:  http://snltranscripts.jt.org/05/05lbuy.phtml

https://www.google.com/search?q=youtube+don't+buy+stuff+you+can't+afford
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2013, 08:33:32 PM »
OK, so here's two:

TitleMax:  This one really irks me, b/c the slogan is "I got my title back w/TitleMax!"  To which I always want to yell back, if you didn't spend everything you made and then some, you would have your title in the first place!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOLtL_Yn6uY

Ohhhhh, I hate the TitleMax commercial.  "I got my title back with TitleMax"???  Nooooo, you pawned your car at TitleMax, likely the only thing of value in your possession.  So very sad.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2013, 08:44:56 PM »
I'd like to nominate Wonga Canada's Payday Loans commercials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4KtdNplu-8

Take a look!  You can borrow $300 for 2 weeks, for only $30.  That's a 10% interest rate, so not too bad, right?  Well, until you amortize that over a year, and come up with something like 272% annual interest rate!  Fuck, right?

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2013, 09:45:44 PM »
I'd like to nominate Wonga Canada's Payday Loans commercials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4KtdNplu-8

Take a look!  You can borrow $300 for 2 weeks, for only $30.  That's a 10% interest rate, so not too bad, right?  Well, until you amortize that over a year, and come up with something like 272% annual interest rate!  Fuck, right?

Not a new commercial, but who can forget the "Problem Solver Loan" from Western Sky?  http://youtu.be/xgLMgVq4p_E

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2013, 09:56:08 PM »
Not a new commercial, but who can forget the "Problem Solver Loan" from Western Sky?  http://youtu.be/xgLMgVq4p_E

Did they quote an 89% APR at the bottom, in small print?!

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2013, 10:02:27 PM »

Did they quote an 89% APR at the bottom, in small print?!

That is actually their best rate.  This is from their website:

Loan Product   Borrower Proceeds   Loan Fee   APR   Number of Payments   Payment Amount
$10,000   $9,925   $75   89.68%   84   $743.49
$5,075   $5,000   $75   116.73%   84   $486.58
$2,600   $2,525   $75   139.22%   47   $294.46
$1,500   $1,000   $500   234.25%   24   $198.19
$850   $500   $350   342.86%   12   $150.72

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2013, 10:05:41 PM »
Uggh.

kms

• Bristles
  • Minion Money Hippie
« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2013, 08:35:54 AM »
Not on TV but on radio: a couple of years back around this time of year there was a radio ad going something like this (I'm obviosly paraphrasing): you hear christmas music in the background and the sound of somebody unwrapping a gift. Then a female voice, first screaming, then yelling thank you, thank you, thank you, then somebody running away from the christmas tree, a door slamming, car engine starting and driving off. Then, a voice said something along the lines of "The new Ford Fiesta. The perfect Christmas gift for your teenage daughter."

The sad part is that I can actually see the clowns out there buying brand new cars for christmas for their kids.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2013, 01:58:14 PM »
Ah yes, that reminds me of the years of Christmas Lexus commercials where a brand new Lexus is waiting in the driveway.  The most ridiculous being where the missus buys her husband a car.  A white car.  A white hatchback car.

(Ladies, a tip.  If you are so wealthy you are going to waste ridiculous amounts of money on a Lexus, we don't want a hatchback, and we don't want the color white.  Just saying.  And I own a hatchback.)

Well, apparently my friends and I weren't the only ones who found the commercial utterly ridiculous.  Here is an R-rated send-up of that same commercial.

NOT SAFE FOR WORK DUE TO CRUDE LANGUAGE AND CONTENT, DO NOT WATCH IF EASILY OFFENDED  (but funny as hell all the same)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSSrSoa07nM

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2013, 02:54:35 PM »
(Ladies, a tip.  If you are so wealthy you are going to waste ridiculous amounts of money on a Lexus, we don't want a hatchback, and we don't want the color white.  Just saying.  And I own a hatchback.)
I'd say this is all personal preference. While DH and I both hate white cars, we both LOVE our hatchbacks. In fact we both love the Lexus CT 200h (not sure which one is in the commercial), we're just way too damn cheap to spend that kind of money on a car

Oh, I love my (red) hatchback too, but if we are going to entertain the notion that someone is going to senselessly drop crazy money on a car as a Christmas gift, then for heavens sake not a utilitarian and utterly practical white hatchback....  Something with two seats and a lot of vroom-vroom please.

ArcticaMT6

• Stubble
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2013, 04:09:52 PM »
I'd say this is all personal preference. While DH and I both hate white cars, we both LOVE our hatchbacks. In fact we both love the Lexus CT 200h (not sure which one is in the commercial), we're just way too damn cheap to spend that kind of money on a car

Oh, I love my (red) hatchback too, but if we are going to entertain the notion that someone is going to senselessly drop crazy money on a car as a Christmas gift, then for heavens sake not a utilitarian and utterly practical white hatchback....  Something with two seats and a lot of vroom-vroom please.

I dunno. I would totally rock a white Audi A3.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2013, 01:58:40 AM »
I once saw an ad for a bank that was offering a free iPad to people who opened a checking account. A very slimy marketing tactic: I don't know exactly how much an iPad is worth and I'm likely to over-value it by consulting something like the retail price. The problem is that it's a depreciating asset so if I keep it it's not worth even a fair initial price. And this is coming from a bank, which should be marketing itself as a trustworthy partner for me and my finances but is actually, quite blatantly, trying to trick me.

Why is that slimy? iPad is just like your computer only smaller and a bit less useful. Nevertheless it has some fair value which might or might not reach the actual retail price.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2013, 02:07:06 AM »
Not on TV, but I just saw the following advertisement in the window of an upscale clothing store downtown: "Women look prettier shopping than running"

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2013, 02:17:10 AM »
Not on TV, but I just saw the following advertisement in the window of an upscale clothing store downtown: "Women look prettier shopping than running"

Nuts!

annaraven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2013, 02:46:50 AM »
That makes sense. I wonder how many of those are new trucks? If I bought a new pickup truck I would be too scared of scratching the paint to take it off the pavement :)

Yeah.  Like I tell my friends (who have newish pickups), it's not really a truck if you'd hesitate one second before filling the bed with a load of horse manure :-)  My truck's an '88 Toyota, and gets used for hauling firewood, hay, and yes, the occasional load of horse manure, as well as driving on Forest Service/BLM roads.  And this morning I used it to yank out a couple of stumps...

This!

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2013, 11:42:59 PM »
That one Sears ad right now...with the two girls (20-somethings) who are going to a movie and park by Sears because "there's always parking"...and then get sidetracked and spend ALL DAY shopping instead, putting off the movie, until they leave with a gazillion items each and the words "well it will come out on DVD soon anyway."

Which to me says they didn't care that much about seeing the movie anyway, so they could have...
-baked cookies/tried a recipe
-given each other home mani/pedis
-gone for a walk/hike/bike ride
-rented another movie to watch at home (or Netflixed)
-done some crafts (maybe to sell on Etsy)
-about a million other things that would have cost them less than several hundred $$ each