Author Topic: New Luxury Credit Card!!!  (Read 2827 times)

redwood_canyon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
New Luxury Credit Card!!!
« on: March 28, 2019, 10:25:43 PM »
Guys, apparently we have been doing it all wrong. We do not have the credit cards we rightfully deserve. This plastic bit of rubbish in our pockets is far inferior to a PVD coated metal card. We must have the best!! After all we deserve LUXURY, we have the money right? I mean they have the money and we have the Income to pay it off in the future. I mean someday we are going to be RICH out of our minds... we might as well start acting the part. After all the Rodgers across the street have one of these LUXURY CARDS. This credit card is so nice, when I pull it out people will be amazed.... Wait my wallet... it is not nearly suitable enough for this credit card. I got it, I will just buy a new wallet a Burberry perhaps, after all that's what my father in law has. He hasnt retired yet, but he has the newest and most luxurious everything, OH BOY do I wish I could be like him. I wonder what sizable fortune he is going to leave to my wife, oh what a day that will be. I do not have to worry about money at all... since someday we will be RICH, RICH I tell you!!! After all we are GOING PLACES!!

Found this add in my weekly reading of the Economist magazine, which my library takes, to my delight (nearly a $200 subscription per year). The adds in it seem to target LUXURY Seekers, always watches and other "status items".
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:46:55 PM by redwood_canyon »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Re: New Luxury Credit Card!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 10:39:55 PM »
It feels like there are so many cards trying to be special or signal something that I wouldn’t have any way of knowing what is real, and what is the equivalent of the platinum visa I got issued as a summer intern.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 11:32:28 PM »
It feels like there are so many cards trying to be special or signal something that I wouldn’t have any way of knowing what is real, and what is the equivalent of the platinum visa I got issued as a summer intern.

This just gave me an idea, I think I'll spray paint my old Visa card black and write "exclusive black card" or something on it.  i could be the first in a new shitty trend of taking credit cards and trying to make them look cooler while failing spectacularly.  Kind of like those idiots that take a 20 year old Chevy Cavalier and put on a cardboard body kit and spray painted racing stripes.  Oh yeah, everyone's gonna think this is a Corvette (or Am Ex Black) now!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 11:49:19 PM »
I can just imagine how classy that will look as the paint starts to flake off.

redwood_canyon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 11:50:24 PM »

This just gave me an idea, I think I'll spray paint my old Visa card black and write "exclusive black card" or something on it.  i could be the first in a new shitty trend of taking credit cards and trying to make them look cooler while failing spectacularly.  Kind of like those idiots that take a 20 year old Chevy Cavalier and put on a cardboard body kit and spray painted racing stripes.  Oh yeah, everyone's gonna think this is a Corvette (or Am Ex Black) now!

NOOO!! We cannot do that!! The spray paint will rub off and ruin my new Burberry Wallet. And the cashiers will be able to tell that it is just plastic from the weight. That idea of yours is entirely unthinkable, I cannot afford to purchase my Luxury goods without an equally luxury credit card, to do otherwise would be absurd and everyone who is anyone knows that. I would not expect you to grasp the idea. Luxury is for the affluent!

(I am having so much fun with this satire. From reading The Millionaire Next Door, the insight into the Income Affluent is unreal. In addition being in college I can see it all around me. Here comes the side story: A friend had a FB birthday fundraiser for a Suicide Prevention Helpline which she said saved her life several times!! Only 4 people donated to it myself included, she even shared it with a club of 120 students which I am also in. The sad part is hardly anyone donated, the same students who I see walking around with $6 Starbucks in their hand drinking them like they are water. Those students could not spare even a dollar for the cause. It is just outrageous to me.)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 11:53:16 PM by redwood_canyon »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 03:27:50 AM »
My professional association just sent me an "exclusive offer" to get an engraved metal AMEX platinum for only $700/year.

I mean, I have to take this incredible deal, don't I?

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 09:09:00 AM »
My professional association just sent me an "exclusive offer" to get an engraved metal AMEX platinum for only $700/year.

I mean, I have to take this incredible deal, don't I?

Take it, then say you lost it and cancel it. You can let it drop out of your wallet at opportune times to impress lesser mortal with your exalted credit status.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 09:32:13 AM »
What can I say? That is mine:

It can credit, debit, near field and best of all: It costs nothing. (Which is not normal in Germany, where you also don't get points normally. Of course you get on the 30€/month ones.)

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 12:59:14 PM »
Chase Sapphire Preserve is metal - I feel like a big shot when I use it.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 11:31:45 PM »

Oh right, I forgot it had to be metal.  Ok, I'll wrap it in tinfoil and then spray paint it black

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 06:48:10 AM »
Found this add in my weekly reading of the Economist magazine, which my library takes, to my delight (nearly a $200 subscription per year). The adds in it seem to target LUXURY Seekers, always watches and other "status items".

I read the Economist pretty regularly and also find some of the advertisements hilarious. 

My favorites are the full page spreads for some expensive watch brand with a parent and child sharing some touching moment with the words "You never actually own a $EXPENSIVE_WATCH, you merely look after it for the next generation." 

So I shouldn't buy one then because somebody's going to give me one?   

Also the executive head hunting service that features a private jet horribly photoshopped over a sky scene. 

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 10:50:26 AM »
That black card in the OP has been around a while.

The metal cards are... well, hard to cut up when you cancel them. IIRC Chase gives you a freepost envelope to send them back for disposal.

My favourite is my Discover It card... with mixtape image. Not that anyone cares.

The only card/s I've ever had a comment on were the see-through Amex ones, and this was a few years back.

Ask not what you can do for your credit card, but what your credit card can do for you!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 11:27:11 AM »
I'll forever think of the Frye Festival and his Magnises card scheme when I think of fancy credit cards.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 06:19:46 AM »
The only black card I need is my Uber CC with 4% cash back at restaurants and a $150 sign on bonus. I like cards like this.