Author Topic: New Amazon Dash buttons  (Read 13960 times)

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
Re: New Amazon Dash buttons
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2016, 08:53:37 AM »
I like that they have pet food and dog treats. You could train your pet to order his own food deliveries. ;-)
I've found most pet products on Amazon (ie food, litter/crystals, etc) cost more than comparable online retailers like walmart, or less well known pet-product only sites. Seems like this applies most often to large sized economy/bulk items that you'd order regularly, it can really add up. You'll need to teach your pet how to be a mustachian or they will clean out your wallet, maybe show them how to hunt or pick wild fruit/berries on their own, bury bones for leftovers, use sticks for toys, get a job, etc. :)

Miss Unleaded

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2016, 10:20:58 AM »
For me, it automatically assumed it should add an item to Google Keep with no special setup - and I think it finds the list called "Shopping" or creates it if one doesn't exist.

Thanks for the tip.

I just opened the phone and said 'Ok Google.' Pause. Then 'Add mackerel to shopping list'  It launched the Google Keep application and created a list for 'Shopping' with the item 'Macro' on it. :o)

Then I tried 'mussels' and got 'Muscles' (no kidding, I asked my husband what we needed to get and this was what he wanted). A potentially great new use for my smartphone thwarted by my strange hybrid accent.  Almost like trying to talk to my half deaf grandmother. :oD

If I can get it to work this will be great because I'm always forgetting what we're out of when I write up the shopping list.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2016, 10:48:06 AM »
For me, it automatically assumed it should add an item to Google Keep with no special setup - and I think it finds the list called "Shopping" or creates it if one doesn't exist.

Thanks for the tip.

I just opened the phone and said 'Ok Google.' Pause. Then 'Add mackerel to shopping list'  It launched the Google Keep application and created a list for 'Shopping' with the item 'Macro' on it. :o)

Then I tried 'mussels' and got 'Muscles' (no kidding, I asked my husband what we needed to get and this was what he wanted). A potentially great new use for my smartphone thwarted by my strange hybrid accent.  Almost like trying to talk to my half deaf grandmother. :oD

If I can get it to work this will be great because I'm always forgetting what we're out of when I write up the shopping list.

I tried your use case, same results. Then I tried "mackerel fish" and "mussels seafood" and got it right. By adding fish and seafood you're giving context so that the right word is selected. Homonyms are still an obstacle for text-to-speech conversion bots.

seathink

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2016, 05:45:38 PM »

Obviously not the point of this thread, but get one of these bidet attachments for your toilet and change your whole life:  http://luxebidet.com/

I learned about these from a thread about toilet paper.  No need to replumb your whole house, no need for electricity.  No need for tons of TP.

YOU'RE WELCOME.

Also a nice hookup if you do cloth diapers. My brother/sister-in-law installed this for both personal use and to spray down poop before washing.

I would consider the condom button if I didn't already have my costo.com hookup which is cheaper.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 05:47:10 PM by seathink »

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2016, 06:35:34 AM »

And why is it stupid?  I really don't understand why the hate?

I don't understand the hate either.  This isn't something I want, but I can totally see the utility.   

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2016, 08:41:48 AM »

A little planning and a little paying attention to what you're doing pretty much eliminates the need for these dash buttons. Things like TP or detergent running out rarely catch me off guard. I could tell you the status of just about any consumable supply or food item in my household at any time. And this with four kids.

And boy, it would suck if you ran out of TP and had to sit there waiting on the UPS truck to deliver after pressing the dash button.

Maybe the confusion is a result of the way I use stuff versus the way others do. 

I bulk buy stuff like TP and paper towels.  Most of the time, it's in a big package full of smaller packages, and I put the big package in the basement.  As needed, say with TP, I take a small pack out of the big pack, and distribute the small pack to the bathrooms.  The way I'd use Dash, when I took the last small pack (6-9 rolls) out of the basement, I'd order a new big pack, which would show up in 2-3 days, and I haven't consumed the last of the small pack yet, but now I'm ready for next time I need more. 

Aside from maybe spending $1-2 more due to price insensitivity and not comparison shopping (which I don't do anyways, I just buy TP at Costco whatever it costs), I really don't see why this is 'worse' in any way.  Is it unnecessary?  Sure, but who cares?  It's free, and it might make my life a tad easier. 

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2016, 10:09:36 AM »
There are a number of services that long term track prices on Amazon items. I've seen things that I wanted which fluctuated quite a bit and timed the purchase to match the lower if not lowest price.

I've also done the same at Harbor Freight Tools. Now some of the tools there are a joke but some are good quality for the cost.

You just watch the flyers. I have some tools that will outlast me - like a MIG welder cart, ATV jack, etc.

On top of that there are coupons from that store.

I'd be pleased to shop at Sears and similar again but their pricing is wonky. When I need a tool sometimes if a tool is not on sale it is too high. One socket for $15 or a set for $25. Hmmmm...

And Sears doesn't always offer some of the oddball stuff that online retailers or HF offers like the MIG cart or ATV lift except from 3rd party retailers on their website.

Sorry for the tangent rambles... ;)