Author Topic: New Amazon Dash buttons  (Read 13959 times)

teadirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
New Amazon Dash buttons
« on: March 31, 2016, 11:12:14 AM »
Now with 100+ brands to choose from!

https://www.amazon.com/b/?node=10667898011

Make sure you watch the 1 minute promo video partially down the page, where the main character almost faces a total breakdown after running out of Keurig cups, for maximum anti-mustachean comedy.

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
Re: New Amazon Dash buttons
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 11:20:28 AM »
"Let's buy things without knowing how much they cost!"

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 11:26:22 AM »
I like that they have pet food and dog treats. You could train your pet to order his own food deliveries. ;-)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 11:33:52 AM »
That song tho! It's going to be stuck in my head all day!

From a carless perspective the bulky/heavy items ones make sense. If I need kitty litter, I either have to rent a car, Uber from the pet store, or have it delivered (and because of the weight shipping can be just as expensive as car rental. BUT I live in a PrimeNow area, so free same-day delivery makes the Dash button obsolete.

I'm not gonna lie though--if there was a Dr Pepper one, I would get one. Sorry not sorry.

I like that they have pet food and dog treats. You could train your pet to order his own food deliveries. ;-)
....! Okay, maybe I'll get the kitty litter one after all.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 11:35:40 AM »
This is the way of the future for the non-Mustachians. Amazon Dash sums it up perfectly. Your drinks come from a pod. Your food comes in a box (Blue Apron) or frozen microwave meals or packaged cereal bars, etc. You will live in a pod just like Bruce Willis in The Fifth Element. When you die, you'll be packaged in a box/pod and be dashed away to your chosen method, be it burial, cremation, or whatever. Just need an Amazon Dash button for that service.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 11:39:45 AM »
If it was something I ordered ALL THE TIME (diapers), I'd consider it.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 11:45:19 AM »
I just noticed they have one for oats. See, they are trying to cater to mustachian needs, too!

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 11:55:33 AM »
It's a silly old world we live in.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 11:58:42 AM »
On the other hand, folks have done some fun hacks with them.  They're essentially "free" to buy.  You get the cost back on the first (and last!) purchase.  Then you do fun stuff with them.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 12:17:25 PM »
Since you still have to go to your email to confirm the purchase, I don't understand the point of these. Is it that hard to go to Amazon and just order the thing?

And that eliminates all the times you have to read emails for when your toddler pushed the button over and over again and you don't want the thing...

/But yeah, there have been some really cool hacks.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 12:29:08 PM »
Since you still have to go to your email to confirm the purchase, I don't understand the point of these. Is it that hard to go to Amazon and just order the thing?

It's not THAT hard to go to Amazon and order the thing, but it is harder.
Generally anything you can do to make the purchase process easier/faster will equate into increased sales.
They have essentially managed to get Amazon purchases to the point of an impulse buy in your own home.
Pretty genius move on their part.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 12:30:23 PM »
Since you still have to go to your email to confirm the purchase, I don't understand the point of these.

I think you can disable that setting.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 12:44:23 PM »
I would put these down in my basement in the pantry area where I keep paper towels, TP, laundry pods, diswasher pods, etc, to reorder those things as soon as I am getting low.  Why the hell not?

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 12:46:15 PM »
This is the way of the future for the non-Mustachians. Amazon Dash sums it up perfectly. Your drinks come from a pod. Your food comes in a box (Blue Apron) or frozen microwave meals or packaged cereal bars, etc. You will live in a pod just like Bruce Willis in The Fifth Element. When you die, you'll be packaged in a box/pod and be dashed away to your chosen method, be it burial, cremation, or whatever. Just need an Amazon Dash button for that service.

That sounds like the movie Wall-E. We'll just zip around staring at a screen all day. :/

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 12:49:38 PM »

It's not THAT hard to go to Amazon and order the thing, but it is harder.
Generally anything you can do to make the purchase process easier/faster will equate into increased sales.
They have essentially managed to get Amazon purchases to the point of an impulse buy in your own home.
Pretty genius move on their part.

Is it really an impulse buy if you had the foresight to acquire a Dash in the first place?  These things are clearly made for regular, repeated purchases, not one-off impulse stuff.  When my daughter was in diapers I had Amazon deliver a box of diapers and a box of wipes every 3rd (I think?  Maybe it was 4th?) week automatically.  This is basically the same concept, but on a pull system rather than push. 

I really don't get the hate, assuming it's used for regular consumables. 

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 01:47:08 PM »
So here's a thought. You know you're an impulse shopper. You can't go to the grocery store and buy 1 thing. You go to Target for detergent and come out with detergent, sponges, Swiffer cloths, oranges, cat treats, steaks, a coffee mug, and candy (or if you're me, you probably got all that but forgot the detergent and the cycle starts over when you go back to get it). You've recognized the problem, but solving  it (be it via budget, shopping lists, envelopes, or whatever) is still a work in progress.

So say you run out of laundry detergent, but there's nothing else you need at the store. You hit your little Dash button and here comes your laundry detergent--completely without the temptation of any other items (be it in a brick 'n' mortar or on Amazon--digital shopping carts can be even more dangerous than physical ones). So you have your laundry detergent (which--if your memory is anything like mine--is not guaranteed even if you do go to the store), and you haven't blown through $50 on crap you don't need. Mustachian win-win, I'd say.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 01:49:38 PM by Inaya »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2016, 01:53:01 PM »
How easy is it to set that up? The page says it requires wifi.

But yeah, pretty stupid.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2016, 02:19:46 PM »

But yeah, pretty stupid.

Do you not have wifi? 

And why is it stupid?  I really don't understand why the hate?

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 02:28:13 PM »
AHAHAHAHAHA! There's one for condoms! Things are getting "interesting" with your SO. But, oh no!, you're out of condoms. "Don't worry honey, I have the Trojan Dash button--we can resume this tomorrow!"  I wonder if this would increase safe sex practices among people who would rather go unprotected than buy condoms in person.

Looks pretty easy. The Amazon mobile app serves as the interface between your Dash and your router. However, the button might not work if there's a weak WiFi signal--if you keep your button on your dryer, which is in your basement 2 floors away from your router.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 02:31:08 PM »
AHAHAHAHAHA! There's one for condoms! Things are getting "interesting" with your SO. But, oh no!, you're out of condoms. "Don't worry honey, I have the Trojan Dash button--we can resume this tomorrow!"  I wonder if this would increase safe sex practices among people who would rather go unprotected than buy condoms in person.

Oh gosh, I remember the first time I bought condoms. I went to the local grocery store and they were in the pharmacy section, locked up in a glass case that was very visible. There weren't any available people at the pharmacy so I went to customer service and a very sweet and very old lady walked with me and unlocked it and waited for me to pick one.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 02:34:19 PM »
I have a friend who works there - you guys have no idea how popular these are.

Also, think! Who _else_ gets a lot of benefit from these buttons that amazon can capitalize on?

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 02:35:41 PM »
Oh gosh, I remember the first time I bought condoms. I went to the local grocery store and they were in the pharmacy section, locked up in a glass case that was very visible. There weren't any available people at the pharmacy so I went to customer service and a very sweet and very old lady walked with me and unlocked it and waited for me to pick one.
The pharmacy I went to not only had them in a locked glass case, but there was a big red button you had to push if you wanted somebody to come unlock it. So you push the button and what happens? "CUSTOMER SERVICE NEEDED IN THE FAMILY PLANNING DEPARTMENT!" was blasted over every loudspeaker in the store. I was 17 and wanted to slink away and die.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 02:37:15 PM »

But yeah, pretty stupid.

Do you not have wifi? 

And why is it stupid?  I really don't understand why the hate?
I was asking how easy it was to setup, because it's a much harder sell to the busy mom who doesn't know a modem from a router if she needs her nephew who's good with computers to install it for her. But it looks like they have it covered.

It's stupid because it's an electronic gadget of extremely narrow utility, pushed by a company that thrives off impulse consumption, and delivered to your door in a single box when it could just as easily have been picked up at the grocery store or grouped with other orders.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 09:07:16 PM »
So here's a thought. You know you're an impulse shopper. You can't go to the grocery store and buy 1 thing. You go to Target for detergent and come out with detergent, sponges, Swiffer cloths, oranges, cat treats, steaks, a coffee mug, and candy (or if you're me, you probably got all that but forgot the detergent and the cycle starts over when you go back to get it). You've recognized the problem, but solving  it (be it via budget, shopping lists, envelopes, or whatever) is still a work in progress.

So say you run out of laundry detergent, but there's nothing else you need at the store. You hit your little Dash button and here comes your laundry detergent--completely without the temptation of any other items (be it in a brick 'n' mortar or on Amazon--digital shopping carts can be even more dangerous than physical ones). So you have your laundry detergent (which--if your memory is anything like mine--is not guaranteed even if you do go to the store), and you haven't blown through $50 on crap you don't need. Mustachian win-win, I'd say.

This is why I shop at Amazon. I don't have to leave my house and I don't fall into the target trap.

But I still think the dash button is dumb. I want to comparison shop for my dog poop bags for goddess sake, they have sales!

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2016, 05:39:34 AM »
But I still think the dash button is dumb. I want to comparison shop for my dog poop bags for goddess sake, they have sales!

You pay money for bags to put pet waste in? We have so many plastic grocery/target bags I don't think we'll ever run out.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 07:54:19 AM by NoStacheOhio »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2016, 07:03:34 AM »
Since you still have to go to your email to confirm the purchase, I don't understand the point of these.

Then either your toddler or your drunk friends (depending on your stage of life) orders you 2,895 of the same product.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2016, 07:35:36 AM »

Then either your toddler or your drunk friends (depending on your stage of life) orders you 2,895 of the same product.

They (supposedly) have algorithms to suppress duplicate orders.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2016, 08:25:20 AM »

I'm pretty brand-loyal for consumable stuff (if brand XXX works I'm not going to try brand YYY to save $.25) and the time ROI of comparison shopping this type of thing to save a tiny amount of money is terrible. 

I can think of about 10 products I'd use this for:

TP
Paper towels
dishwasher pellets
washing machine pellets
toothpaste
shampoo
deodorant
shaving cream
razors
soap (body)
soap (hands)
ziploc bags

None of that stuff varies significantly in price, and all of it is the kind of thing I'll run out of and then forget about later on.  I couldn't tell you how many late-night Walgreens runs I've made because I forgot we ran out of toothpaste or deodorant in the AM and now it's 1030 and I'm washing up to go to bed and shit.  Hit the button in the medicine cabinet instead?  Perfect.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2016, 08:26:15 AM »

It's stupid because it's an electronic gadget of extremely narrow utility, pushed by a company that thrives off impulse consumption, and delivered to your door in a single box when it could just as easily have been picked up at the grocery store or grouped with other orders.

The gadget is basically free and the box will be recycled.  Still don't see a problem. 

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2016, 12:39:14 PM »

Pretty much.  I am opposed to this on principle because it makes people less price sensitive. 

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2016, 12:51:35 PM »

Pretty much.  I am opposed to this on principle because it makes people less price sensitive.

I dunno about you, but I'm pretty price insensitive when it comes to TP.  What am I going to do, stop taking shits?  Replumb my house for a bidet?

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2016, 01:32:56 PM »
I hope these things are readily recyclable, because they look like another stream of e-waste to me if they're not.

I don't mind the "shopping" aspect of this much. It looks like there's a safeguard in place where multiple presses of the button don't trigger additional orders if you have an order already in progess. It would be dumb to switch brands just because one has a Dash button available, but if you know you're ordering something you're happy with over and over again, it makes sense.

TRBeck

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2016, 01:44:34 PM »

I dunno about you, but I'm pretty price insensitive when it comes to TP.  What am I going to do, stop taking shits?  Replumb my house for a bidet?
Buy cheaper toilet paper?

enb123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2016, 04:47:06 PM »
You're all looking at Dash the wrong way (sarcasm!):

http://www.popsci.com/youve-been-looking-at-amazon-dash-all-wrong?src=SOC&dom=fb

From the article:

"You can purchase more coffee from a Dash button while filling your coffeemaker, then go to bed. The next morning, tell an Alexa unit in your bedroom to wait an extra hour to brew the coffee so you can sleep in, and wake up to a shipping notification and a fresh cup of joe all without ever touching your computer or your phone. Sure you can do that now--your coffee options are just limited."

And if I had a catheter and a bedpan...

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2016, 05:23:09 PM »

Well, think of it this way. You put the button next to the box and whoever pulls the last condom pushes the button. No fuss, no muss.

gliderpilot567

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2016, 12:36:57 PM »
Some of the dash button hacks seemed technically interesting, but with limited actual usefulness (I.e. turn a 4 second task into a 1 second task). But one that caught my attention and that i might actually consider was the one that adds items to your shopping list (instead of actually buying them). Then I can grab them myself on the way home from work or whatever.

A little planning and a little paying attention to what you're doing pretty much eliminates the need for these dash buttons. Things like TP or detergent running out rarely catch me off guard. I could tell you the status of just about any consumable supply or food item in my household at any time. And this with four kids.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2016, 08:34:39 AM »

A little planning and a little paying attention to what you're doing pretty much eliminates the need for these dash buttons. Things like TP or detergent running out rarely catch me off guard. I could tell you the status of just about any consumable supply or food item in my household at any time. And this with four kids.

And boy, it would suck if you ran out of TP and had to sit there waiting on the UPS truck to deliver after pressing the dash button.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2016, 08:58:59 AM »

That's a serious problem I have- so I totally looked into having my produce delivered by Amazon to reduce my trips to the store but it's just to expensive.

I really REALLY have a hard time walking into a store and buying JUST the one thing I needed. It's rare that it happens. So honestly- anything to keep my from stopping regularly (which a quick trip out in NJ is very easy considering there is a store every 1/2 mile here) - is a good thing.

I order all my consumables on line- paper towels- toilet paper tampons- anything like that- I order.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2016, 09:01:19 AM »
And boy, it would suck if you ran out of TP and had to sit there waiting on the UPS truck to deliver after pressing the dash button.

Ditto with that Trojan button too. . . .

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2016, 12:40:16 PM »

I don't care if it quadruples in price, I'll always buy the same TP. Cheap TP is never worth it.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2016, 12:43:26 PM »

My tall 100-lbs dog would definitely find the button for dog food and treats.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2016, 05:35:37 PM »
Kind of awesome, have to admit.  I live in Mexico, so not available for me, but if it were.....!!!!

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2016, 05:52:31 PM »

I don't care if it quadruples in price, I'll always buy the same TP. Cheap TP is never worth it.

Yup.  I'm currently living in a hotel, so in theory TP is free, but I still went and bought my own.  There are about 4 things in life for which I brand loyal.  TP is one of them.  Charmin Extra Soft.  As someone with IBS, who sometimes uses lots of toilet paper in a short time, soft is important. 

So I can see having a Dash button for that, but only if my preferred brand was generally cheaper on Amazon than at the grocery store. 

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2016, 03:09:28 PM »

Ditto with that Trojan button too. . . .

If I have to wait for the UPS truck to show up, I better add a cucumber to the order. ;-l

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2016, 03:21:54 PM »
AHAHAHAHAHA! There's one for condoms! Things are getting "interesting" with your SO. But, oh no!, you're out of condoms. "Don't worry honey, I have the Trojan Dash button--we can resume this tomorrow!"
Unless you're in one of the cities where they're testing 1-hour delivery. In the future a drone might be able to have you the condoms before you lose "the moment." lol

LouLou

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2016, 10:44:06 PM »

As someone with IBS, who sometimes uses lots of toilet paper in a short time, soft is important. 

So I can see having a Dash button for that, but only if my preferred brand was generally cheaper on Amazon than at the grocery store. 

Obviously not the point of this thread, but get one of these bidet attachments for your toilet and change your whole life:  http://luxebidet.com/

I learned about these from a thread about toilet paper.  No need to replumb your whole house, no need for electricity.  No need for tons of TP.

YOU'RE WELCOME.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2016, 04:21:42 PM »

It seems this is exactly the purpose I would enjoy. It's a button you can place close to where you use things that triggers a "I need to buy more of these" reminder directly to your inbox so you don't forget.

This seems to have the potential to be quite useful. I'd love something like this I could use for our fridge/freezer/pantry (especially if it's free). Use the last butter? Press the button and automatically add butter to our grocery list.

The further removed you are from the item itself and how easy it is to add to a list, the better something like this would work.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2016, 04:53:26 PM »
It seems this is exactly the purpose I would enjoy. It's a button you can place close to where you use things that triggers a "I need to buy more of these" reminder directly to your inbox so you don't forget.

If you have an android smartphone, you can possibly do this by just saying, "okay google, add ______ to my shopping list."

I have my phone configured to wake up and unlock when I talk to it, and with that command it will add the item to the list labeled "Shopping" in Google Keep (which can be shared with another Google Keep account to keep everyone's list in sync). This is one of the only things I routinely use the voice command feature for.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2016, 08:34:31 AM »

If you have an android smartphone, you can possibly do this by just saying, "okay google, add ______ to my shopping list."

I have my phone configured to wake up and unlock when I talk to it, and with that command it will add the item to the list labeled "Shopping" in Google Keep (which can be shared with another Google Keep account to keep everyone's list in sync). This is one of the only things I routinely use the voice command feature for.

Kudy, how do you do this?  Do I have to set it up to recognize the command "okay google add____ to my shopping list", or if I have a list named shopping in Keep will it do it automatically?

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2016, 02:49:17 PM »
For me, it automatically assumed it should add an item to Google Keep with no special setup - and I think it finds the list called "Shopping" or creates it if one doesn't exist.