Author Topic: neighbors ordered a new car over internet  (Read 4593 times)

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
neighbors ordered a new car over internet
« on: June 17, 2013, 11:23:51 PM »
Tonight a huge - think really big here  - truck pulls up in the road near my house, 9pm, and this double car trailer as big as 2 double decker buses back to back stops, blocking all traffic. It's too big to fit down the side street.

He proceeds to open it up and offload a fully restored, souped up, lifted off roader capable 4x4.  About 30k worth apparently, all the way from Florida. Another of the cars he was delivering was a new masarati...

So, want a nice shiny new car? Just click.

Sparafusile

• Bristles
Re: neighbors ordered a new car over internet
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 06:12:53 AM »
I wonder what the delivery fee was from FL to MI. That had to have added a couple thousand to the price of the clown car.

prodarwin

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 07:00:44 AM »
I wonder what the delivery fee was from FL to MI. That had to have added a couple thousand to the price of the clown car.

Maybe, but its not always that expensive.  I know many people who have purchased a car from far away and had it delivered.  It often ends up cheaper than fly-n-drive.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 08:41:31 AM »
I know that when my sister was looking to unload her car (a Pathfinder *shiver) she was claiming it would be like 2000 to ship it from Boston to Minnesota. We talked to a mechanic we know and he said that he could get it here safely for $700, and did. So it doesn't have to that much. That said, just because you can, doesn't necessarily mean you should.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 03:35:23 PM »
Another of the cars he was delivering was a new masarati...
I was walking by a country club parking lot the other day, the type of place where you see a lot of Mercedes, Jaguars, & BMWs.  There's usually a dozen or more of each in the lot, so the logos eventually penetrate my cerebral cortex.

I didn't recognize one car, however, and strolled behind it to read its logo.  Mitsu...? no, Mazd...? no... oh, Maserati!

Not exactly a car you take to the beach.  It couldn't fit a longboard inside anyway, and I doubt that Maserati sells to owners who want roof racks.  The driver would've had to go at least 10 miles to get to a highway with a 55 MPH speed limit, and the fastest limit on the island is 60 MPH.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 12:22:05 PM »
m'eh, I order my pants and shoes online. It's just the same thing at a different price level :)

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 12:39:49 PM »
It couldn't fit a longboard inside anyway, and I doubt that Maserati sells to owners who want roof racks.  The driver would've had to go at least 10 miles to get to a highway with a 55 MPH speed limit, and the fastest limit on the island is 60 MPH.

People who buy Maserati's also have a hummer or navigator for their boards.

CanuckStache

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 12:43:37 PM »
We bought my GF's car on Jetta. Smooth transaction. Only thing is it was in Miami and we're in New Orleans. So, we got a couple cheap one-way tickets, flew down to pick it up, and drove through the night straight back (about 13 hours). Even with all that, we saved about $3k from bluebook value.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 03:43:34 PM »
We bought my GF's car on Jetta. Smooth transaction. Only thing is it was in Miami and we're in New Orleans. So, we got a couple cheap one-way tickets, flew down to pick it up, and drove through the night straight back (about 13 hours). Even with all that, we saved about $3k from bluebook value.

We almost bought a Juke a couple years ago the same way, the combo she wanted (brown metallic + manual transmission) was only on a lot in Las Vegas and even with airfare, travel expenses, etc., it was going to be cheaper than buying locally (and a neat roadtrip as well).