Author Topic: Nearly Half of Americans Say They Can't Afford an Unexpected $400 Expense  (Read 3337 times)

meg_shannon

• Stubble
The article cites that one quarter of households earning 100,000$+ cannot afford an unexpected 400$...Wow.

I've had a couple of times in my life where I wouldn't have been able to afford an extra 400$, mostly while in college and when my ex spent all our money a few times, but it was scary. I hated it and quickly amassed an emergency fund to deal with those expenses. Hopefully I'll never face that again.

But I don't find it too surprising. I have a few friends that wouldn't be able to come up with the extra money.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
Are you kidding me? The vast majority of my friends are living with/off their parents well into their 30's, 40's and in one case, 50's. School, housing, cars, food, you name it, they have to get money from their parents.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
"Nearly half of Mustachians can't do a search prior to creating a duplicate thread."

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
I normally have at least that in my wallet, cash.

elysianfields

• Pencil Stache
"Nearly half of Mustachians can't do a search prior to creating a duplicate thread."

While the threads are similar, the sources are completely different (The Washington Post vs. AllGov.com).  I'll admit that the ultimate source is this Fed Report (http://www.federalreserve.gov/econresdata/2014-report-economic-well-being-us-households-201505.pdf TL:DR), entitled "Report on the Economic Well-Being of U.S. Households in 2014". 

The three referenced article titles have no search terms in common.  The The Washington Post and AllGov.com titles have "unexpected" "expense" and "$400" in common.  The website URLs have no terms in common.

In any case, I started a second thread, and the world did not end.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
In any case, I started a second thread, and the world did not end.

Hey, who turned off the lights? What's that burning smell? What's HAPPENING?!?!??!?!