Author Topic: My Soon-To-Be Millionaire Family Members  (Read 238956 times)

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
Re: My Soon-To-Be Millionaire Family Members
« Reply #450 on: January 03, 2019, 10:58:51 AM »
... and that in the meantime, they are going to "pray that God will provide." What could go wrong?

Ugh. Nothing makes me grind my teeth more than this phrase.  Good luck to them.

I might have been tempted to snarkily hypothesize that any deity that exists might think he provided via the opportunity to earn a living after finishing a degree program. Or maybe a unicorn will prance up, bearing bags of cash. Or the teller window at Bank of Dad will open for business.

I have to think the diety is in favor of construction workers after all the people that are either left homeless or have terrible damage to their homes after hurricane Michael.
  I went into purchase a cellphone shortly after the hurricane and while waiting, I had an 82 year old man crying after telling me about the destruction to his home and how he never thought he would need to rely on his son for a place to live. I don't think a diety is there to help you with business financing.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #451 on: January 03, 2019, 11:13:49 AM »

The older I get, the more I understand that you do whatever works. I don't have to care why. You don't have to care why. If someone is in chronic pain and chiro works for them, great. If homeopathy works for them, equally great. If praying to a bowl of lemons on their coffee table at 3:12 exactly every afternoon works for them, also great. What or why doesn't matter. What matters is the outcome.

That's all fine but the risk/reward ratio needs to also be considered.
If you're injured by chiropractic manipulation, or have cancer and someone treats you with homeopathy until it's to late for modern medicine to save you, you lose.
 If you are believer in alternative methods, you might want to have a real doctors opinion as a backup just in case there is a treatable problem.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #452 on: January 03, 2019, 12:07:43 PM »
Very few people are injured by a chiropractor which is why their malpractice insurance is cheap. Most chiropractors X-ray a new patient before treating them in case something else is wrong. Most people have muscle pain/issues and chiropractic works great for these conditions.   Of course there are frauds in every profession so if one claims they can heal all your illnesses run away.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #453 on: January 03, 2019, 01:47:48 PM »
Any chance of an end of year update? I'm hoping for an unexpected twist and the beginnings of behaviour change.

paging @frugalfoothills

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #454 on: January 04, 2019, 01:36:39 PM »
My experience with agile:  At my last company I had one of the warehouse programmers/data scientists come up to me and say basically this:

"At my daily scrum stand-up which is pretty much done via videoconference  and no one stands up, we identified a blocker on a 5 pointer, meaning that unless we get the product owner to escalate the resolution our velocity is going to nosedive.  So our scrum-master took the issue to the scrum of scurm meeting to see if others had a similar blocker, but it turns out that the issue is that the DB2 license is per server and the SQL license is enterprise, so the product owner that has in 3 consecutive years shot down an upgrade to the DB2 server, is now asking that we just bring in some of the other backlog items to keep the velocity up, btw, her bonus depends on our velocity, while she evaluates the CBA for a server/license upgrade, but the backlog only has like 2 tasks that have been pointed since the business hasn't prioritized the backlog.  After we figure this out, I have to explain to the CFO why the AWS bill is so high this month after the marketing department spun up a massive SQL warehouse and essentially duplicated our onsite warehouse so they could learn how to benefit from some real machine learning, even though no one there even knows the difference between a continuous and a categorical variable.  I hate my job."

Also, I'm a little surprised that no reckoning has happened with this couple, but if the family doesn't care about being repaid...so be it.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #455 on: January 04, 2019, 02:15:23 PM »
"At my daily scrum stand-up which is pretty much done via videoconference  and no one stands up, we identified a blocker on a 5 pointer, meaning that unless we get the product owner to escalate the resolution our velocity is going to nosedive.  So our scrum-master took the issue to the scrum of scurm meeting to see if others had a similar blocker, but it turns out that the issue is that the DB2 license is per server and the SQL license is enterprise, so the product owner that has in 3 consecutive years shot down an upgrade to the DB2 server, is now asking that we just bring in some of the other backlog items to keep the velocity up, btw, her bonus depends on our velocity, while she evaluates the CBA for a server/license upgrade, but the backlog only has like 2 tasks that have been pointed since the business hasn't prioritized the backlog.  After we figure this out, I have to explain to the CFO why the AWS bill is so high this month after the marketing department spun up a massive SQL warehouse and essentially duplicated our onsite warehouse so they could learn how to benefit from some real machine learning, even though no one there even knows the difference between a continuous and a categorical variable.  I hate my job."

I hate that I understood every word of that.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #456 on: January 04, 2019, 04:50:40 PM »

@aetherie, LOL.

What I thought after reading it was, "It doesn't matter what technique you use to run a workplace badly. If you run a workplace badly, working there is going to suck."

Tabitha

• Stubble
« Reply #457 on: January 05, 2019, 10:04:58 AM »
... and that in the meantime, they are going to "pray that God will provide." What could go wrong?

Ugh. Nothing makes me grind my teeth more than this phrase.  Good luck to them.

Apparently she’s never heard the old saw “The Lord helps those who help themselves”. 

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #458 on: January 05, 2019, 04:55:31 PM »
Any chance of an end of year update? I'm hoping for an unexpected twist and the beginnings of behaviour change.

paging @frugalfoothills

Yeah, I love this thread and I need a hit.

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #459 on: January 05, 2019, 05:22:37 PM »
IIRC, the OP responds to bat signals. @frugalfoothills

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #460 on: January 05, 2019, 07:21:12 PM »

Same!

Dan408

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #461 on: May 06, 2019, 05:57:06 AM »
Bump for update

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #462 on: May 06, 2019, 07:52:06 AM »

Same!

I'm hoping to forget it all ASAP after FIRE

Kierun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #463 on: June 10, 2019, 06:00:19 PM »
How many millions do they have now?  Inquiring minds would like to know...

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #464 on: June 19, 2019, 03:43:07 PM »
Sending bat signal to @frugalfoothills

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #465 on: June 27, 2019, 11:59:13 AM »
Sometimes these things actually work out. Business is booming in a lot of places right now...

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #466 on: July 11, 2019, 11:00:49 AM »

frugalfoothills is posting, her last post was yesterday, July 10, 2019, but I haven't located that post.

kingxiaodi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #467 on: July 11, 2019, 02:00:35 PM »

frugalfoothills is posting, her last post was yesterday, July 10, 2019, but I haven't located that post.

Are you sure her last post was yesterday? The most recent post I could find was from March, but she was last active today (I assume she was active today after your post, so when you looked, it likely said yesterday). In fact, she appears to be "online" at this very moment!

In either case, I can only imagine that she will update the post when she is ready to do so. Even if she didn't get the batsignal, I doubt she's forgotten about this thread.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #468 on: July 11, 2019, 06:42:23 PM »

Are you sure her last post was yesterday? The most recent post I could find was from March, but she was last active today (I assume she was active today after your post, so when you looked, it likely said yesterday). In fact, she appears to be "online" at this very moment!

In either case, I can only imagine that she will update the post when she is ready to do so. Even if she didn't get the batsignal, I doubt she's forgotten about this thread.
You are most likely correct, I interpreted active as posting.

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #469 on: July 11, 2019, 07:37:07 PM »
She did post today, first time since March.  I've been eagerly awaiting an update to this story.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #470 on: July 12, 2019, 01:49:41 PM »
Let's give the thread a cooling off period and then I'd love to read everyone's fictional "final chapter". ;)

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #471 on: July 14, 2019, 10:33:41 AM »
ptf - just enjoyed reading this whole thread!

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #472 on: July 14, 2019, 04:19:30 PM »

Me too!  But I thought for sure it would have come to an end by now....
I'm guessing they are doing alright; any shortfalls are being helped along by the FIL - who is THRILLED about learning that he is going to a Grandfather!!!

LilyFleur

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #473 on: July 18, 2019, 08:19:44 PM »
I fell for that kind of chiropractic care. The guy did our x-rays and clearly mine was worse than my child's and so he preyed on my emotions and said that with his treatment we can avoid my kid becoming as bad as me. So we prepaid thousands of dollars and went to treatments 2-3x a week for however long. It was an assembly line. He had three tables set up with a half wall divider between, an electronic system that called your name and table number. He would spend <5 mins with each patient and send them on their way. It took a few months that I realized that it was just a sales technique and it was not so much about our health.

Now I go to a chiropractor whenever I get tightness in my lower back and I come back on my schedule. This new guy is very easy going and only if the adjustment was particularly difficult will he suggest to come back sooner than I normally would.
Whenever I get tightness in my lower back, I do the stretches my physical therapist taught me. Evidently tall women get tight hamstrings which can cause lower back pain. No chiropractor I tried ever helped me as much as my physical therapist.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #474 on: July 20, 2019, 09:28:00 AM »

Me too!  But I thought for sure it would have come to an end by now....
I'm guessing they are doing alright; any shortfalls are being helped along by the FIL - who is THRILLED about learning that he is going to a Grandfather!!!

And he will buy the young couple a big new SAFE automobile because baby cannot ride in anything UNSAFE, it must be new.  And big.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #475 on: May 12, 2020, 10:31:11 AM »
My brother and sister in law have similar to plans to "be very rich, very soon" They are heavily "invested" in the Iraqi Dinar, which is supposed to "re-value" at 100 to 1. I'm guessing they have bought 10K to 20K of this crap. They even told a family member who is a real estate agent that they need to be looking at 1-2 million dollar homes in the near future. The real estate agent pretty much ignored their request. It's been 3 years and everyone is still waiting.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #476 on: May 12, 2020, 10:38:37 AM »
My brother and sister in law have similar to plans to "be very rich, very soon" They are heavily "invested" in the Iraqi Dinar, which is supposed to "re-value" at 100 to 1. I'm guessing they have bought 10K to 20K of this crap. They even told a family member who is a real estate agent that they need to be looking at 1-2 million dollar homes in the near future. The real estate agent pretty much ignored their request. It's been 3 years and everyone is still waiting.

That's....what??? From where did they hear that?

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #477 on: May 12, 2020, 11:02:31 AM »

Even if it does revalue at 100-to-1, don't they realize that it's still worth the same? It's like the old Italian Lira, which they were talking about revaluing before they wet to the euro - https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1988-02-10-fi-28224-story.html

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #478 on: May 12, 2020, 11:16:34 AM »
Crypto- must not be volatile enough for them.

UpNAtom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #479 on: May 12, 2020, 11:41:56 AM »

Someone sold them on the wrong definition of re-value.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #480 on: May 12, 2020, 12:10:50 PM »
Why stop at 20k? I'd be maxing out credit card advances, selling plasma, sperm, my wife's eggs, all my possessions... maybe even my kid!

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #481 on: May 12, 2020, 11:00:29 PM »

Yeah... becasuse you need an expensive house if you have money.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #482 on: May 12, 2020, 11:25:50 PM »

My $200 in Iraqi Dinar I bought back in 2005 when I was deployed is now worth..... a whopping $241. Almost all that change in value occurred around 2007-2008. Since then it's been essentially flat. That $200 in any real investment would have easily doubled by now.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #483 on: May 13, 2020, 07:11:52 AM »
@frugalfoothills posted this in another thread. Looks like the clinic is still running.

I feel your pain. The tension in my family between myself, my parents, and my sister is.... reaching peaks, to say the least. Sister and brother-in-law do not believe in medicine, clean with essential oils only, etc. and have done zero prevention/social distancing. They believe COVID is a hoax, full stop.

<...>

My sister has decided that since this is all fake, she will start seeing my parents. Not worried at all about compromising them. Her and my BIL came to stay with them 2 weeks ago in their home. Took them to the lake last weekend. Hugging, in the house together, zero distancing. My sis and BIL own a chiropractic office and have done nothing to limit their exposure during this entire time: no masks, no gloves, no limits to the number of people entering, still only cleaning with non-toxic products. And are now cozying up to my parents.

<...>

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #484 on: May 13, 2020, 08:27:06 AM »

My $200 in Iraqi Dinar I bought back in 2005 when I was deployed is now worth..... a whopping $241. Almost all that change in value occurred around 2007-2008. Since then it's been essentially flat. That $200 in any real investment would have easily doubled by now.

@Michael in ABQ are you holding the dinar as cash? I guess an airport might be able to change them if you don't plan to return to Iraq soon.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #485 on: May 13, 2020, 09:55:47 AM »

@Michael in ABQ are you holding the dinar as cash? I guess an airport might be able to change them if you don't plan to return to Iraq soon.

They're still with a letter I originally mailed to my parents when I was deployed asking them to hold on to it for me and explaining why I sent them a bundle of foreign currency. At this point they're just souvenirs that I can show my kids. Unless they suddenly revalue them and the value goes up 100x (snowball's chance in hell) I don't see any reason to try and exchange them. I could probably sell them on eBay if I cared to.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #486 on: May 13, 2020, 09:29:21 PM »

The whole thing wouldn't bother me if they could just keep it to themselves. At every family function, they give a hard sell to everyone that if you want to be a smart investor like them, we need to be doing what they are doing. They give us the Dinar for birthdays ($25 worth) and tell us that I can pay for my kids college education with it.

I teach community college and my kid gets free tuition at any of the 13 different community colleges in our state. Many of them now have 4 year degrees. College is already free. Thanks, but no thanks.

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #487 on: May 14, 2020, 06:24:23 AM »

The whole thing wouldn't bother me if they could just keep it to themselves. At every family function, they give a hard sell to everyone that if you want to be a smart investor like them, we need to be doing what they are doing. They give us the Dinar for birthdays ($25 worth) and tell us that I can pay for my kids college education with it.

I teach community college and my kid gets free tuition at any of the 13 different community colleges in our state. Many of them now have 4 year degrees. College is already free. Thanks, but no thanks.

These dinar theorists seem to have no understanding of how currency works. Do they really think that the Iraqi government can wave a magic wand and you will be able to buy 100 times as much worth of commodities for the same amount of dinar? The only way that could happen is if the Iraqi government would exchange dinars for 100 times the amount of US dollars as before. Color me skeptical.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #488 on: May 14, 2020, 07:08:40 AM »

Clearly you need to start one upping them by giving Zimbabwe dollars as presents in return.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #489 on: May 14, 2020, 09:11:21 AM »
I love those bills, so many 0's.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #490 on: May 14, 2020, 12:04:44 PM »

These dinar theorists seem to have no understanding of how currency works. Do they really think that the Iraqi government can wave a magic wand and you will be able to buy 100 times as much worth of commodities for the same amount of dinar? The only way that could happen is if the Iraqi government would exchange dinars for 100 times the amount of US dollars as before. Color me skeptical.

Yes, I agree 100%. Their thought process is more consistent with the "magic wand theory" than actual theory within economics. The closest thing to a real economic theory for the re-evaluation is Iraqi oil reserves. Iraqi is an oil rich country and they will use that to increase the value of their currency.

Because oil was negative a few weeks ago I should have told my brother that he needs to give me United States currency for me to accept the Iraqi Dinar.

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #491 on: June 05, 2021, 12:43:59 PM »
@frugalfoothills - any update? 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #492 on: June 05, 2021, 04:10:26 PM »
Hope the batsignal works, but they haven't been seen in these parts of late:

Last Active:  January 28, 2021, 11:49:09 AM

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #493 on: June 05, 2021, 04:36:59 PM »
@clarkfan1979, we would love an update on your dinar-loving brother too. I'm kind of curious why he thinks the value will be going up so drastically?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #494 on: June 05, 2021, 05:06:31 PM »
@clarkfan1979, we would love an update on your dinar-loving brother too. I'm kind of curious why he thinks the value will be going up so drastically?

This is a thing that pops up now and then, I've been hearing about it for years. I don't know where it comes from, but every once in awhile I'll talk to some moron who thinks they're going to end up rich because of it.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #495 on: June 05, 2021, 07:03:24 PM »

This is a thing that pops up now and then, I've been hearing about it for years. I don't know where it comes from, but every once in awhile I'll talk to some moron who thinks they're going to end up rich because of it.

I bought $200 worth of Iraqi Dinar in 2004 when I was deployed over there - about 250,000 IQD. Today it's worth about the same, maybe a bit less. It's a neat thing to show my kids but as an "investment" it's worthless.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #496 on: June 06, 2021, 07:52:49 AM »

I bought $200 worth of Iraqi Dinar in 2004 when I was deployed over there - about 250,000 IQD. Today it's worth about the same, maybe a bit less. It's a neat thing to show my kids but as an "investment" it's worthless.

Maybe you should tell them it's the 2004 version of crypto

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #497 on: June 12, 2021, 01:22:51 AM »

I might be able go provide an update in about 3 weeks. It's my step-dad's 70th birthday party and we will be hanging out and playing golf. He hasn't spoke about the Dinar in over a year. I've been trying to discourage it. I guess I have succeeded.

He has spoke about cryptocurrency. I think he is buying fake crypto that is worth nothing. He has been trying to convince my step-sister who is a realtor to let him make offers on houses in crypto. She has suggested that he sell the crypto for US currency and then make an offer in US currency. He has some sort of excuse on why it can't be exchanged for real money.

In other money matters, they sold his wife's house in January of 2020 and bought an RV. They successfully traded an appreciating asset for a depreciating asset. According to zillow, over the past 18 months, the neighborhood has appreciated by 24%. They had a mortgage, so this was leveraged money. They bought their used RV for 60K. I'm guessing it's worth 55K now?

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #498 on: June 14, 2021, 10:58:44 AM »
He has spoke about cryptocurrency. I think he is buying fake crypto that is worth nothing. He has been trying to convince my step-sister who is a realtor to let him make offers on houses in crypto. She has suggested that he sell the crypto for US currency and then make an offer in US currency. He has some sort of excuse on why it can't be exchanged for real money.

But a house seller should be happy to exchange it for real house. Uh huh.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #499 on: June 14, 2021, 11:15:36 AM »

But a house seller should be happy to exchange it for real house. Uh huh.

Selling the crypto may require taxes be paid but trading it for something else (ie a house) may not require taxes.  No clue if this is the thought process or if its even remotely inline with the law/IRS rules (would assume not).  Or maybe the crypto is actually an ownership stake in something else that cant be sold or easily equated to dollars but that someone else might want to exchange a house for ...?