Author Topic: My poor sister - "we don't cook"  (Read 27496 times)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
My poor sister - "we don't cook"
« on: June 09, 2014, 02:54:02 PM »
I did some gardening with my niece, and we started a basil and oregano plant from seed for her.  She forgot the pots at my house, so I texted my sister letting her know we have them and i'll bring them over next week.  This was the text exchange:

sister: What is she supposed to do with basil and oregano? lol.

me: Keep them on the porch and cook with them.

her: No one here cooks with them.  No one here cooks half the time.

me: you should.  It's cheaper and healthier.  Put it in spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce.

her: We don't make pizzas.

me: Why not? You guys eat pizza all the time.  Every week I see pizza boxes in the garbage.  Just make some.

her: Making it is different than buying it.

I stopped texting her at that point.  I wish I could face punch her through the phone and tell her to stop ordering pizza every damn week when she's thousands of dollars in debt and living at home with her kid*.  That goes for the whole household and not just her.

*Especially when I own the house and rent out under fair market value to my parents so they all can have a place to live.

/rant

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
Re: My poor sister - "we don't cook"
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 02:58:43 PM »
Next time try teaching the niece to make pizza? You can use those frozen white bread loaves from the spartan groceries!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 03:02:35 PM »
Next time try teaching the niece to make pizza? You can use those frozen white bread loaves from the spartan groceries!

What do you think we ate after she helped with my garden! 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 03:21:38 PM »
Give a man a pizza and he'll eat like a college kid.
Teach a man to make a pizza and he'll eat like a king!

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 03:30:40 PM »
Ugh, sounds like my father in law, who proudly boasts that he does take out.  Hasn't got a pot to p*ss in...

I'm living in a hotel right now, waiting for my new home to be finished.  It's been an expensive & annoying experience, but the highlight of the hotel is that they use Rosemary bushes for shrubs!  I've been picking what I need and adding it to recipes - nothing beats fresh herbs.  I'm sure the move-out will be a rushed mess, but I'm hoping to snag a few branches and turn them into my own herb garden at the new house.  :)

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 04:02:10 PM »
My rice cooker was my cook throughout college.

payitoff

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 04:03:49 PM »
and talking about sis in law boasting on Instagram about her hubby cooking her dinner on Valentines' day as a 'Treat' since they rarely eat at home. Not sure if they were just broke on Vday or its really a special gesture bro in law did for her. 

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 04:20:09 PM »
My BMW-driving, shopaholic, perpetually broke sister once announced "We just like expensive cars!" when reacting to my parents' questioning of her decision to trade a just-paid-off BMW for a new all-wheel drive model.

These sisters are just unbelievable!

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 05:03:06 PM »
Give a man a pizza and he'll eat like a college kid.
Teach a man to make a pizza and he'll eat like a king!

Ha!  Nice!

The Hamster

• Stubble
  • Vivere intus vestri mediis
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 06:06:25 PM »
My BMW-driving, shopaholic, perpetually broke sister once announced "We just like expensive cars!" when reacting to my parents' questioning of her decision to trade a just-paid-off BMW for a new all-wheel drive model.

And no doubt will drive that BMW right to your front door whenever they need a handout.

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 06:42:13 PM »

And no doubt will drive that BMW right to your front door whenever they need a handout.

I live too far away...but my parents have been nicked more than a time or two.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 12:51:12 PM »
I think it an utter shame that people are constitutionally incapable of doing things like cooking. Oh wait, you mean to tell me that they can but are unwilling to? Sympathy gone!

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 12:56:05 PM »

Tell me more, CarSafetyGuy... I am intrigued!

kyanamerinas

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 01:02:27 PM »

in college i called my slow cooker my house husband. i loved coming home on a cold day to a hot meal all ready for me and the effort in the morning forgotten.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 02:26:11 PM »
I stopped texting her at that point.  I wish I could face punch her through the phone and tell her to stop ordering pizza every damn week when she's thousands of dollars in debt and living at home with her kid*.  That goes for the whole household and not just her.

*Especially when I own the house and rent out under fair market value to my parents so they all can have a place to live.

I would have a hard time restraining myself from saying "learn to make pizza instead of buying it or I'm increasing your rent!"

Theadyn

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 05:10:03 PM »
Met a couple a few weekends ago, they said it was cheaper for them to eat out than for them to cook.  I knew I had a look on my face, was speachless...          At least man-friend boasted that I was a helluva cook. 

Kaminoge

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 03:41:35 AM »

Tell me more, CarSafetyGuy... I am intrigued!

I had a friend in Japan who lived in a tiny apartment and the only cooking facility he had was a rice cooker (not that uncommon there - why bother with putting in a kitchen when salary men never eat at home). He is the frugal type and learned to cook full meals in it. He even used it to make a cake. I've never been to that extreme but while living in Japan I figured out you can cook almost anything in  a slow cooker. Lasagne, roasts, desserts. I've moved on now to a country where I have an oven (a great novelty after a decade without one) so I didn't bother to buy a slow cooker but they are definitely awesome.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 09:58:51 AM »
To be fair... I've never tasted a homemade pizza that wasn't disgusting.  But we don't eat pizza often, either.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 10:06:41 AM »
To be fair... I've never tasted a homemade pizza that wasn't disgusting.  But we don't eat pizza often, either.

I feel sorry for you.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 10:16:02 AM »

Maybe you need to plant some basil and oregano.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 02:47:12 PM »

oh yeah.

I also find that a small amount of bacon always pushes my homemade pizzas over the edge into amazingness, if you're into bacon.

The Hamster

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2014, 04:43:11 PM »

You're doing it wrong then :)

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 04:56:58 PM »
I make the pizza dough in my bread machine and it is easy & awesome!  Everything is better with bacon:))

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 05:25:21 PM »

hahahaha awesome! +1

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2014, 07:15:16 PM »
I make killer pizza, both Chicago style Deep dish and a thinner crust on our grill.

I should make it more often actually.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2014, 07:18:12 PM »
Even easier than that:  Pita bread or English muffins as the base.  Start simple and move up to more difficult meals. 
I had a coffee maker that I'd use to boil water /cook noodles.  I also had a toaster oven and an electric frying pan. 
in college i called my slow cooker my house husband. i loved coming home on a cold day to a hot meal all ready for me and the effort in the morning forgotten.
I will never forget being a senior in college and getting a hand-me-down crock pot.  I'd never cooked in one before, but I put in a beef stew and went away to work.  When I returned home, I opened the stairwell door and the smell of beef stew permeated the whole stairwell.  I RAN up those stairs saying, "Please let me find that smell coming from my apartment, please let me find that smell coming from my apartment".  And it WAS! 
Met a couple a few weekends ago, they said it was cheaper for them to eat out than for them to cook.  I knew I had a look on my face, was speachless...          At least man-friend boasted that I was a helluva cook.
Every now and then I get a coupon . . . coupled with a low-cost choice . . . and no drinks . . . and this happens.  But it's the exception rather than the rule. 

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 08:53:53 PM »
First off. You've never had pizza until you've had pizza made with a high hydration,  Sourdough slow fermented, dough baked in under 2 minutes in a hacked home oven at a minimum of 750 degrees.

Second of all what is up with these sisters?

Witness this hilarious post...

http://www.1500days.com/thursday-rant-spongesister-and-the-three-laws-of-lazymotion/

I blame the princess myth.

What kind of a culture deifies rich girls with no discernible talent or drive ?  What's the message here?

Superheroes I get.

But princesses?

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2014, 05:47:38 AM »
I make killer pizza, both Chicago style Deep dish and a thinner crust on our grill.

ooooooh any tips/recipes for the deep dish?? I LOVE deep dish pizza but have never tried making it at home!

I will never forget being a senior in college and getting a hand-me-down crock pot.  I'd never cooked in one before, but I put in a beef stew and went away to work.  When I returned home, I opened the stairwell door and the smell of beef stew permeated the whole stairwell.  I RAN up those stairs saying, "Please let me find that smell coming from my apartment, please let me find that smell coming from my apartment".  And it WAS! 

hahahaha, I love this story! (and I LOVE my crockpot!)

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2014, 07:20:32 AM »
What kind of a culture deifies rich girls with no discernible talent or drive?

'Murrica

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2014, 07:53:08 AM »

oh yeah.

I also find that a small amount of bacon always pushes my homemade pizzas over the edge into amazingness, if you're into bacon.

I thought bacon was a standard pizza ingredient along with dough, sauce, and cheese?  At least in my house it is.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2014, 07:54:47 AM »
Too bad Gail Vaz Oxlade has stopped filming Princess - she would have been an ideal candidate.

Second of all what is up with these sisters?  Witness this hilarious post...

http://www.1500days.com/thursday-rant-spongesister-and-the-three-laws-of-lazymotion/

What kind of a culture deifies rich girls with no discernible talent or drive ?  What's the message here?

Superheroes I get.

But princesses?

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2014, 08:06:17 AM »

I don't think the world deifies them -- rather, they just find ways to exist without working.  Perhaps their parents buy into the "my baby needs coddling" idea, and they support her longer than is appropriate.  And a girl who's pretty and manipulative can often get guys to pay for stuff -- in the extreme, they'd become trophy wives.  But I don't think they're 'specially admired by society.

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2014, 08:09:55 AM »

I don't think the world deifies them -- rather, they just find ways to exist without working.  Perhaps their parents buy into the "my baby needs coddling" idea, and they support her longer than is appropriate.  And a girl who's pretty and manipulative can often get guys to pay for stuff -- in the extreme, they'd become trophy wives.  But I don't think they're 'specially admired by society.

or get TV shows...Kardashians anyone?

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2014, 08:22:44 AM »
First off. You've never had pizza until you've had pizza made with a high hydration,  Sourdough slow fermented, dough baked in under 2 minutes in a hacked home oven at a minimum of 750 degrees.

Hold up a second, we need more details about this!

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2014, 08:26:49 AM »

or get TV shows...Kardashians anyone?

In my quote "rich girls with no discernible talent or drive" = princesses. 

My daughter is an amazing athlete and very smart and focused.

But she still loves princesses and dressing up in poofy pink dresses with plastic high heels.

It kills me. Why is she not dressing up like pro soccer players? Or superheroes? (Like her brothers )

Cultural BS I suspect.

And good point about the kardashians/Hilton's. Modern princesses.

nordlead

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2014, 08:35:17 AM »

Just guessing, but he disabled the safety lever for "clean" on a standard oven. Most ovens get to 500-550F max, while clean will go closer to 900F.

You'd be surprised at how many news articles will claim something like that. Then people who read the mainstream news think its true without even running the numbers. Typically the news articles are flawed and compare eating out for dinner vs what the US says should be your average daily food budget, ignoring the fact that people eat more than 1 meal a day.

gillstone

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2014, 08:56:06 AM »
I think it was Anthony Bourdain who argued that cooking your own meals should be given the same importance that athleticism had in the 60's.  Just like the scrawny kid who couldn't climb the rope would later get a dodge-ball in the face, our home economics classes could take on a whole new dimension. Can't roast a chicken? - get a dodge-ball in the face!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2014, 09:08:12 AM »
You'd be surprised at how many news articles will claim something like that. Then people who read the mainstream news think its true without even running the numbers. Typically the news articles are flawed and compare eating out for dinner vs what the US says should be your average daily food budget, ignoring the fact that people eat more than 1 meal a day.
The only way I can think of that eating out could be cheaper than eating at home is if you're on a starve-and-binge pancake diet.  You fast for a few days, then you go walk to your local Denny's and get all-you-can-eat pancakes for $4, and eat 50-60 pancakes while the lovely waitress gives you death glares after each round.  Repeat again in a few days.  Bam, cheaper than cooking at home.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 09:11:35 AM by ketchup »

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2014, 09:37:44 AM »

I could write about home pizza making all day every day. Talk about a mustachian hobby. You can make a pizza better than anything you can get your town (as long as you don't live in New York or New Haven or Phoenix) for probably about two dollars plus  energy cost. And the only equipment you need is a pizza stone and a pizza peel. And the willingness to "alter" your oven.

If you're interested you can click over to the site in my tagline and read a post I wrote entitled "pennywise and pound foolish."

(I would post a link, but won't for fear of being tarred and feathered as a "spammer.")

Here is an unaffiliated link that really got me going on the pizza making journey.

http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm

Enjoy!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2014, 09:44:26 AM »
The only way I can think of that eating out could be cheaper than eating at home is if you're on a starve-and-binge pancake diet.  You fast for a few days, then you go walk to your local Denny's and get all-you-can-eat pancakes for $4, and eat 50-60 pancakes while the lovely waitress gives you death glares after each round.  Repeat again in a few days.  Bam, cheaper than cooking at home.

I'd be surprised if it cost me 4$ to make 50-60 pancakes at home.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2014, 10:21:24 AM »

I'd be surprised if it cost me 4$ to make 50-60 pancakes at home.
Eh, true.  Better make it once-a-month event then, and eat 2000 pancakes.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2014, 12:13:16 PM »

I could write about home pizza making all day every day. Talk about a mustachian hobby. You can make a pizza better than anything you can get your town (as long as you don't live in New York or New Haven or Phoenix) for probably about two dollars plus  energy cost. And the only equipment you need is a pizza stone and a pizza peel. And the willingness to "alter" your oven.

If you're interested you can click over to the site in my tagline and read a post I wrote entitled "pennywise and pound foolish."

(I would post a link, but won't for fear of being tarred and feathered as a "spammer.")

Here is an unaffiliated link that really got me going on the pizza making journey.

Enjoy!

Awesome... I'm scared to learn how to make pizza, because I would immediately become obese.  I'm saving that for my RE days when I can also do ridiculous amounts of cardio to counterbalance.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2014, 12:16:49 PM »

Enjoy!

Awesome... I'm scared to learn how to make pizza, because I would immediately become obese.  I'm saving that for my RE days when I can also do ridiculous amounts of cardio to counterbalance.

Obesity is an Occupational hazard.

There are no free rides!

AZ

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2014, 03:32:39 PM »

ooooooh any tips/recipes for the deep dish?? I LOVE deep dish pizza but have never tried making it at home!

hahahaha, I love this story! (and I LOVE my crockpot!)

Sure, it's an old recipe that was a hack of Uno's style in Chicago.

I use my bread maker for the dough (free from an old boss that was going to throw it away) But every bread maker seems to be a little different on how they make dough, since my neighbor made it and she said mine was so much better, and she followed my instructions.

1 pkg of yeast (I use it bought in bulk, much cheaper)
1c. warm water
1/4 c. + 2T. Oil, I usually use olive oil
1/4 C. Cornmeal
2 and 3/4 C. flour

After the dough is made in my dough cycle, I put it into 2 8in round cake pans, making sure it goes up to the top on the sides.

Get the toppings you want, it requires a lot more toppings than a regular crust.
Cheese goes down first, a light layer over the crust
Then layer the other ing.
Sausage
Mushrooms
more cheese
More sausage
more mushrooms
maybe some more cheese
Sauce, last as a topping

Then I bake at 475 20-25min

This is filling pizza, 2 pieces and you are stuffed.

Enjoy

The Hamster

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2014, 06:05:22 PM »

Rubbish.

Homemade pizza is so much healthier and lower fat than store-bought pizza and you can put whatever you want on it.  You don't have to drown pizza in cheese, oil and bacon for it to taste awesome.

My fave home made pizza recipe is very basic, as true Italian pizzas were originally very basic with very little cheese etc.  Nothing like what Pizza Hut and the like produce (which IMO isn't shouldn't even be called pizza).
To home made pizza base just add tomato paste in a thin layer, some sliced bocconcini or buffalo mozzarella cheese (not much), basil leaves, strips of ham or whatever meat you want. I like prawns and other seafood.  Add garlic, some snow peas and pumpkin and some pine nuts.  No cheese on top but a sprinkle of sea salt and oregano.  Bake in oven until base is nice and crispy.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2014, 06:40:22 PM »

Rubbish.

Homemade pizza is so much healthier and lower fat than store-bought pizza and you can put whatever you want on it.  You don't have to drown pizza in cheese, oil and bacon for it to taste awesome.

My fave home made pizza recipe is very basic, as true Italian pizzas were originally very basic with very little cheese etc.  Nothing like what Pizza Hut and the like produce (which IMO isn't shouldn't even be called pizza).
To home made pizza base just add tomato paste in a thin layer, some sliced bocconcini or buffalo mozzarella cheese (not much), basil leaves, strips of ham or whatever meat you want. I like prawns and other seafood.  Add garlic, some snow peas and pumpkin and some pine nuts.  No cheese on top but a sprinkle of sea salt and oregano.  Bake in oven until base is nice and crispy.

Yeah, no.  I do occasionally introduce pizza back into my diet, and I can buy relatively healthy pizza around here (Californians don't mess around with their froufrou pizzas).  I always gain weight.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2014, 07:05:27 PM »
We don't hack the oven since I get acceptable results cranking it to 550F (highest setting) and using a stone. Since I started grinding my own flour just before making the dough (we like white wheat), it is at a new level of awesome.

lisahi

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2014, 03:47:43 PM »

Rubbish.

Most of the time the least healthy aspect of a pizza is the dough (unless you're covering your pizza with candy and pixie stick dust).  Unfortunately, with really great pizza dough, you're going be eating a whole lot of flour-based carbs, even if you don't use sugar in the dough recipe (which, I believe, chain pizza restaurants do). Too many carbs can equal weight gain for a lot of people--doesn't matter how healthy the toppings are. Granted, making your own dough would be healthier, but not necessarily healthier to prevent weight gain from eating it too often (and if you love it, there's a better chance you'll eat it too often).

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2014, 03:55:48 PM »
I think it was Anthony Bourdain who argued that cooking your own meals should be given the same importance that athleticism had in the 60's.  Just like the scrawny kid who couldn't climb the rope would later get a dodge-ball in the face, our home economics classes could take on a whole new dimension. Can't roast a chicken? - get a dodge-ball in the face!

If you can dodge a wrench, you can roast a chicken. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMWdnkSMPGM&feature=kp

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2014, 01:37:30 PM »
Cauliflower crust pizza ain't half bad.  They're a different thing than a lovely thin-crust doughy pizza, but still a nice platform for a tasty array of toppings.

My in-laws don't cook at it makes me crazy.  They act like my ability to cook from scratch is some sort of rare genetic gift, rather than something I can do because I HAVE BEEN PRACTICING DAILY FOR DECADES.  But that gives them an excuse to not cook.  OTOH, I can make anything when they visit and they're thrilled.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!