Author Topic: My neighbor's golf cart has Bluetooth  (Read 7354 times)

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
My neighbor's golf cart has Bluetooth
« on: December 12, 2016, 12:11:33 PM »
Background: I live in a snowbird-heavy community, where golf carts are street legal on side streets from sunrise to sunset. This is not a planned community where you can get to grocery stores, pharmacies, libraries and community centers by golf cart. From my house, I could legally take a golf cart to 5 restaurants/bars, 1 convenience store, 1 marine hardware store, and a fish market.

My neighbor bought the place across the street about 2 years ago and we quickly realized he has far more money than brains. The first winter here, he put his 2 outboard fishing boat up on his existing boatlift and promptly caved the whole thing in! It was only rated for a single outboard boat, but he never bothered to check!

This winter he came from the north country and bought a pretty ordinary golf cart. His wife took it out and the back wheel started to squeak. She must have run over something and didn't want to 'fess up to her husband. Rather than get the cart fixed, he went to a dealer, traded it in and put in another $6500 to return with this behemoth with fake alligator seats, bluetooth stereo, high end wheels and off road tires.

Oh, and he paid a guy to detail it for him.

swashbucklinstache

• Pencil Stache
Re: My neighbor's golf cart has Bluetooth
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 12:24:44 PM »
bluetooth instead of a direct line on a golf cart. interesting choice.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 12:32:54 PM »
fake alligator seats
My mind immediately pictured something far cooler than this surely means.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 12:41:08 PM »
fake alligator seats
My mind immediately pictured something far cooler than this surely means.

Yeah, should have written fake alligator leather seats. I would applaud a man for sitting on a replica alligator.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 02:15:14 PM »
Golf carts are $6500? Fuck me.

Electric or gas engine?

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 02:18:15 PM »
Golf carts are $6500? Fuck me.

Electric or gas engine?

$6500, plus whatever he got for trading in his other cart!! And gas, of course.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 02:21:02 PM »
Gas carts are terrible, the start-from-off lag is awful.  Electric is the way to go, plus near-zero maintenance aside from charging and maintaining the batteries (add water like every 6 months). 

Anyways, I'm not going to defend the guy except to say if the golf cart allows him to minimize car use and potentially go down a car, it's probably not a terrible idea financially.  Could be done cheaper, of course, but could be worse too.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 02:24:52 PM »
Chris, either you're a lot older than me, or golf carts use old-style batteries. I haven't seen any batteries you need to add water to in ... well, honestly, they went out of style before I saw car batteries. I'm 26.

I really don't get the point of a $6500 gas golf cart. Why not just buy an NB miata? They're about the same size, but one is way more fun.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 02:29:20 PM »
Golf cart is in no way replacing a car. Neighbor owns several cars, split between his Northern house and SnowBirdLand. He also owns at least 2 boats and a Class C RV.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 02:32:15 PM »
Chris, either you're a lot older than me, or golf carts use old-style batteries. I haven't seen any batteries you need to add water to in ... well, honestly, they went out of style before I saw car batteries. I'm 26.

I really don't get the point of a $6500 gas golf cart. Why not just buy an NB miata? They're about the same size, but one is way more fun.

I'm 34.  Pretty sure I've added water to batteries in the family golf cart that is ~15 years old. 

Why not a Miata?  much more acceptable to drive a golf cart on the sidewalk, park in golf cart parking, carry 4 people, drink a beer while driving, etc etc etc.  Golf carts are a great way to get around communities that use golf carts. 

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 03:05:22 PM »
Nah - go for an $18,000 side by side ATV. I see them in traffic occasionally here.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 03:19:09 PM »
I'm pretty sure my parents golf cart, with all the accessories they have added cost more than my car did. And I bought the car new...

YummyRaisins

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 03:24:13 PM »
Rather than get the cart fixed, he went to a dealer, traded it in and put in another $6500 to return with this behemoth with fake alligator seats, bluetooth stereo, high end wheels and off road tires.

Oh, and he paid a guy to detail it for him.

To be fair, everything should have bluetooth connectivity. Just sayin...

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 04:03:20 PM »
Several years ago, I would have considered the Bluetooth a big splurge. But recently Bluetooth has become ubiquitous and cheap. (Castrol is currently giving away Bluetooth speakers for the price of shipping to customers who buy five quarts of their motor oil. I may switch brands for my next oil change just to get one.)

But yeah, "trading up" to another golf cart is pretty un-Mustachian.

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 06:38:49 PM »
So, basically $6500 for a squeaky wheel!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 07:29:44 PM »
I'm 34.  Pretty sure I've added water to batteries in the family golf cart that is ~15 years old. 

Why not a Miata?  much more acceptable to drive a golf cart on the sidewalk, park in golf cart parking, carry 4 people, drink a beer while driving, etc etc etc.  Golf carts are a great way to get around communities that use golf carts.

Clearly you and I have different ideas of how to use a miata! Throw on some mud tires, a 6" lift kit, fit any fuckers who complain in the trunk (take off the trunk lid), drink while you drive it, park it wherever you please... good god, that would piss off so many people who are the kind of people who own fancy golf carts.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 08:00:47 PM »
My car doesn't even have bluetooth...

Clearly you and I have different ideas of how to use a miata! Throw on some mud tires, a 6" lift kit, fit any fuckers who complain in the trunk (take off the trunk lid), drink while you drive it, park it wherever you please... good god, that would piss off so many people who are the kind of people who own fancy golf carts.

This gave me an idea...  why not a go kart?  Drive that on the sidewalks! Challenge those golf carts to races! Oh, and it comes standard with off road tires.

Plus, go-karts are a whole lot cheaper than 6k unless you get the most expensive ones.

This really nice one is around 2.2k. It tops out at almost 38 mph.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 08:08:12 PM »
Hey, if you want to race -

I'm imagining a fairly expensive prank where during the summer months, when the snowbirds are gone, you break into their garage, take their golf cart, and upgrade the engine.

Assuming it's a basic but small four-stroke, give the fucker a really lumpy cam, make it sound like a quarter of a big v8. "Does this golf cart feel more... manly?"

Or I guess you could downgrade it, see if they trade it in again.

(I also dream of planting a tree in someone's front yard overnight. "Was that always there?")

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 09:20:06 PM »

This gave me an idea...  why not a go kart?  Drive that on the sidewalks! Challenge those golf carts to races! Oh, and it comes standard with off road tires.

Plus, go-karts are a whole lot cheaper than 6k unless you get the most expensive ones.

This really nice one is around 2.2k. It tops out at almost 38 mph.

Why not an Ariel Atom?

It's only $US90k for a road-going demo, compared with $US89,400 for the latest Porsche 911...

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2016, 07:04:19 AM »
(I also dream of planting a tree in someone's front yard overnight. "Was that always there?")

I love this idea! Perfect for snowbird yards. Trees grow so fast around here, a 3 foot palm planted in the spring would be 5 feet by the time they got back for the winter!

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2016, 07:43:44 PM »
It's funnier if you do it at night while everyone is sleeping, but shit, if someone is gone for seven months of the year, it's perfect. You could basically re-landscape someone's yard, and as long as it's not too obvious, get away with it. After so much time, there'd be no evidence of digging or anything.

Don't like that your neighbor has a weird gap in his shrubs? Plant one! Problem solved. Too funny.

And hey, it's for the benefit of us all, adding more green space to our lives.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 05:58:28 AM »

I love this idea! Perfect for snowbird yards. Trees grow so fast around here, a 3 foot palm planted in the spring would be 5 feet by the time they got back for the winter!
I like the way you guys think.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2016, 01:38:18 PM »
Not terribly concerned for this guy. Obviously he's loaded to the gills and can afford to blow money like he does.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2016, 05:19:22 PM »
Why not an Ariel Atom?

It's only $US90k for a road-going demo, compared with $US89,400 for the latest Porsche 911...

How did you know that was my favorite car?!?!?  :D

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2016, 01:42:27 AM »
I feel like the vette-kart, courtesy of Roadkill, is a much cheaper more hilarious way to get an ariel atom. Bigger engine, too. It'll kill ya.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2016, 03:06:08 AM »

Would it be too wrong to offer to buy it from them instead of the trade in, switch the engines back and then beat them away from the lights/green/club house? Apart from the slight bit of theft.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2016, 02:17:08 PM »

Would it be too wrong to offer to buy it from them instead of the trade in, switch the engines back and then beat them away from the lights/green/club house? Apart from the slight bit of theft.

But then you'd own a bluetooth-enabled golf cart, and we'd all mock you.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2016, 01:41:06 AM »

But then you'd own a bluetooth-enabled golf cart, and we'd all mock you.

But when I sold it and bought you drinks with the proceeds would the mocking stop? Because if the mocking would continue then the plan is worthless.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2016, 01:13:10 PM »
I'm onboard with any plan that calls for drink purchases.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2016, 04:35:59 PM »
We are currently in central FL.  I was shocked to learn that a new, name brand, totally stripped, electric golf cart is a $6500+ item. Given that I've met more than one guy recently who ended up with a perfectly serviceable used model for roughly 80% less. Purchased from a dealer with a guarantee. I'm gonna' assume that you don't buy new ones unless you're simply drowning in excess cash, or you " ain't the brightest bulb on the tree". Talk about overpaying for something that is slightly more complicated than a rock, and looks the same if it's a 1985, or 2017 model. Pretty hard to imagine that, at $6500, there is anything less than a 100% mark-up for all the players involved in the building and selling of the thing.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2016, 09:30:13 PM »
God damn, what does a brand new electric golf cart even have?

- Battery
- Probably a circuit to charge the battery
- Electric motor
- Basic circuit to drive said motor
- Maybe a gearbox? Or just straight into a final drive and a solid axle?
- Steering linkage
- Does it even have a suspension? Maybe four springs.
- Wheels, tires
- A frame
- A body, some chairs you sit on, a bunch of plastic

A golf cart is like the thing you build with your eight-year-old son in the garage, but softer and more pliable. $6500 for that garbage? $6500 buys a real (used) car.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2016, 02:50:41 AM »
God damn, what does a brand new electric golf cart even have?

- Battery
- Probably a circuit to charge the battery
- Electric motor
- Basic circuit to drive said motor
- Maybe a gearbox? Or just straight into a final drive and a solid axle?
- Steering linkage
- Does it even have a suspension? Maybe four springs.
- Wheels, tires
- A frame
- A body, some chairs you sit on, a bunch of plastic

A golf cart is like the thing you build with your eight-year-old son in the garage, but softer and more pliable. $6500 for that garbage? $6500 buys a real (used) car.

Bluetooth!! You missed the Bluetooth.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2017, 04:06:54 PM »
$2 on ebay from hong kong. Checkmate, golf cart sellers.

(Actually, a speaker system would add significant cost to a golf cart. Considering the thing should only be maybe a thousand bucks, a decent speaker system for the car should be at least fifty bucks. But after that, I can get bluetooth integrated for about two dollars and a can of coke.)