Author Topic: My Neighbor's Air Conditioner Runs Incessantly  (Read 16429 times)

darkelenchus

• Bristles
  • True wealth comes from good health and wise ways.
My Neighbor's Air Conditioner Runs Incessantly
« on: June 19, 2012, 11:10:08 AM »
Seriously. It was 72 degrees the other day and his air conditioner kicked on at least four times.

atelierk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: My Neighbor's Air Conditioner Runs Incessantly
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 12:59:56 PM »
My neighbor's window AC does too - May through most of October. In upstate NY. When I get my lawn mower out of my shed, which is close to the property line, it's always on. Day or night, cool or warm. And the house is almost completely shaded by huge maples!

There's also a guy that lives somewhere nearby (not sure if it's on the same road I live on) that goes by my house - in his late 90s dark green Chrysler mini-van - at least a half-dozen times a day. Sometimes more often. Sometimes he's alone, sometimes has a passenger. Looks to be retirement age, doesn't drive real fast. He goes by so often I can now recognize the sound of the car engine before he's even in sight. If he drives by my house this often while I'm outside working in the garden, how many more times do I miss when I'm inside or not home?

Soooo glad I don't have my neighbor's electric bill or the older guy's gasoline bill!

Uncephalized

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 02:16:41 PM »
I leave my house at 85 degrees through the summer.

It ends up being more comfortable than cooling it to a "comfortable" temperature because we get used to being hot, then it feels normal, and then the 110 degree heat outside doesn't feel *quite* as oven-like in comparison.

Same argument goes for being cold in the winter. Make your body tougher, not your environment softer!

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 02:17:44 PM »
Haha.

I am friends with a couple that lives a few blocks from me. The other day I brought a sweater when I had dinner at their place because the A/C is always running and I knew I'd be freezing. There have been hot days, but honestly, it's not that bad. I love them dearly and it's their choice, but it baffles me. Then again. XD I don't have A/C at my place, so the option isn't there to taunt me.

People seem very unwilling to feel the slightest discomfort. Ever.

Lavender

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 04:02:18 PM »

It ends up being more comfortable than cooling it to a "comfortable" temperature because we get used to being hot, then it feels normal, and then the 110 degree heat outside doesn't feel *quite* as oven-like in comparison.

Same argument goes for being cold in the winter. Make your body tougher, not your environment softer!

This is true. This morning after biking to preschool with two kids in a trailer (first time I've done this...yay!), I got back home and the inside felt like it was freezing...it was 79 degrees inside and my A/C (set to 82) wasn't even running. This is exactly what MMM described in a recent post.

As for anti-mustachian neighbors, I have neighbors across the street that put out a PILE of trash twice a week, and about 90% of it belongs in the recycle bin! Pizza boxes, packing boxes, newspapers, plastic containers, soda bottles....my heart bleeds to see it and I have seriously considered going over and asking them to recycle. How would y'all handle this? I don't know them at all.

darkelenchus

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 05:21:34 PM »
As for anti-mustachian neighbors, I have neighbors across the street that put out a PILE of trash twice a week, and about 90% of it belongs in the recycle bin! Pizza boxes, packing boxes, newspapers, plastic containers, soda bottles....my heart bleeds to see it and I have seriously considered going over and asking them to recycle. How would y'all handle this? I don't know them at all.

Sounds like they need a lecture in cutting down on their consumption, first.

velocistar237

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 06:08:13 PM »

It's supposed to hit close to 100 degF here in the next couple of days, and I'm kind of looking forward to it, thanks to MMM. Unfortunately, the A/C at work is out of my control. I'm thinking of wearing a medium jacket at the office so I don't get used to the cool. We've had some HVAC issues in our building, to the point where a coworker got so cold during the summer that he wore a scarf and fingerless gloves.

Uncephalized

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 02:21:43 PM »

It's supposed to hit close to 100 degF here in the next couple of days, and I'm kind of looking forward to it, thanks to MMM. Unfortunately, the A/C at work is out of my control. I'm thinking of wearing a medium jacket at the office so I don't get used to the cool. We've had some HVAC issues in our building, to the point where a coworker got so cold during the summer that he wore a scarf and fingerless gloves.
Oh that's unfortunate. I make a point of opening my windows when it's hot instead of using A/C and going for walks outside after lunch to stay used to the heat.

Tiamat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 07:59:29 PM »

This is true. This morning after biking to preschool with two kids in a trailer (first time I've done this...yay!), I got back home and the inside felt like it was freezing...it was 79 degrees inside and my A/C (set to 82) wasn't even running. This is exactly what MMM described in a recent post.

Do they have a recycle bin?  Just wondering. I don't have a yard waste bin.  I compost but it gets to be too much. But my neighbor kindly lets me use hers. Is that an option?

Lavender

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 08:39:53 PM »

Do they have a recycle bin?  Just wondering. I don't have a yard waste bin.  I compost but it gets to be too much. But my neighbor kindly lets me use hers. Is that an option?

You know, that's a great point. I've never seen a recycling bin around their place, though the city gives you one (or as many as you want). Maybe I should go pick up one from City Hall for them as a neighborly gift/hint.

Tiamat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 08:50:31 PM »

You know, that's a great point. I've never seen a recycling bin around their place, though the city gives you one (or as many as you want). Maybe I should go pick up one from City Hall for them as a neighborly gift/hint.

How nice that you can  have it for free. Here, it is an extra charge. The green (yard waste) also.  That's why I don't have one.

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 01:16:06 AM »
I read my electric meter daily to track my electrical consumption.  since it flashes between various readings every 6 seconds I glance at  my neighbours meter right behind me while I wait.   Both meters were installed the same day back in december.   My reading is about 1/3 higher.    I have 4 people living here and I work from home.  There is almost always someone here.  The neighbours house is empty. It has been since November.  They have gutted it for reno's getting ready to rent it out.   

I know I'm good on power usage but how the hell does an empty house use almost as much power as I do?  Also they have natural gas  which I don't   so they should be heating their water and the house that way... 

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 01:53:58 PM »
Maybe they keep it at 65 F all the time in case they want to visit. That is a seriously impressive waste of money, though...

darkelenchus

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 05:25:22 PM »
Or they have battery-powered power tools with a ridiculous phantom load.

MrSaturday

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 05:58:29 PM »
Or he's growing pot.

Grigory

• Stubble
  • (rhymes with "story")
    • my attempt at blogging
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 05:35:07 AM »
Or a meth lab in the basement. :))

fruplicity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 07:21:38 AM »
Actually this summer my partner is brewing beer and has been good about keeping it cool via water/ice/location. However this weekend we went away during a heat wave so we did keep our AC running specifically for the beer (on "energy saver mode") ALLLL weekend long. I felt pretty lame about this but hey we're getting good homemade beer out of it.

BUT besides the beer issue - does everyone here in live-in relationships have a partner on the exact same temperature level as themselves? Because you're all REALLY lucky. I run "cold" so I hate AC in summer and am willing to use layers in the winter instead of turning up the heat. My partner runs "hot" and he will actually feel physically ill if he's not in a cooled environment in summer. We also have a dog and though I personally believe she runs "cool" my partner worries all the time and insists we keep AC on for her when we're not around. (I would rather run it only on the really hot days for her). We have two window units in our apt., one in each bedroom. Partner usually hangs out with the AC all summer and I try to avoid it, but since we do sleep in the same room it can really get difficult for our energy use and relationship.

So in short we ARE those people who keep their AC running all summer :( And yes I do view it as basically blowing dollar bills out our window all day long.

Our 13-year old car actually has dual temperature control and this is the one feature I think we will HAVE to pay extra $$ for when we eventually replace this car. But I almost never run AC when I'm driving alone.

Does no one else struggle with this?

darkelenchus

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 08:09:38 AM »
Does no one else struggle with this?

Not really, but I used to be more sensitive to heat. One day I decided to stop being a wussypants and adapted. Have you shared The World's Most Efficient Air Conditioner article with him?

gecko10x

• Bristles
    • SawyerPF
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 08:40:36 AM »
Funny, last night we were hanging out on the deck and I complained that I was cold with the breeze and declared that it was quite comfortable inside. My wife gave me a strange look- turns out it was 81 inside (we'd had the A/C off all day).

Generally we're pretty close to having the same comfort levels, but not perfect. She was a bit cold this morning when it was 63 inside ;-)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 08:59:14 AM »
does everyone here in live-in relationships have a partner on the exact same temperature level as themselves? Because you're all REALLY lucky.
I'll echo this. I can regulate my own temperature just fine. If it were up to me the house would be 60 in the winter and 85 in the summer, and that would be completely comfortable. I live with half a dozen people that are not similarly inclined, so it was 68 last winter and it's been 78-82 so far this summer-- and that's pushing them. Still, it's really a little compromise overall, small potatoes compared to the big picture stuff.