Author Topic: Just for fun-My husband found a receipt at Walmart  (Read 6988 times)

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
Just for fun-My husband found a receipt at Walmart
« on: October 25, 2019, 08:11:37 AM »
Someone left a receipt for $945 in the cart. I am sad that savings catcher is no more, but we got about $4 from Fetch rewards.

I am sorry I can't attach a picture of it with my phone. It provides interesting details about how other people shop. For example, they bought brand name detergent with no coupons. Also foam plates and a random assortment of processed foods including easy cheese, Velveeta shells, and pizza rolls. There are five loaves of bread so it has to be a large family or group of people, but then why all the expensive brands? There is some reasonable food on there too, like two bell peppers and some tomatoes and pork chops, but 95% is processed crap. And why wouldn't they save their receipt?

Help me figure out why they bought what they bought. My first thought was some kids stole a debit card and just bought whatever they wanted. My husband thinks it's the work of some rich anti mustachian person with a three row SUV.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 09:00:13 AM by Aunt Petunia »

Brianmcg321

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: My husband found a receipt at Walmart
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 08:34:33 AM »
Maybe they were donating these items to a food shelter.

I know more about you from this one thread, than can be decifered from a receipt.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 08:36:45 AM by Brianmcg321 »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 08:47:21 AM »
Hard to tell without the receipt, but from what you described my guess would be a church or community group planning a large luncheon for lots of people.  The foam plates and assortment of processed foods is typical of this sort of purchase.

Honestly, spending $945 isn’t that much if that’s what you are doing. And the person doing the shopping doesn’t care much about clipping coupons.  They just have to so many appetizers and so many plates and so many drinks.  I used make CostCo runs for our open house seminars and I’d drop $1,000 in one go no problem. 

Alternatively, it could be someone that lives in a rural area and they only make a walmart trip a few times per year, so they stock up on mostly non-perishables.  My previous location was like this - a 45 minute trip (each way) to any big-box stores, and the local grocery store was small, pricy and lacked a lot of things.
::shrug::

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 08:52:44 AM »
Sounds like some kind of party plus a few household items?

There are definitely people who buy name brand items without coupons, for whatever reason. 

I rarely save a receipt from the grocery store unless I think I am likely to return something.  I usually scan through it before leaving to make sure there is nothing incorrect/unexpected, and then I am done with it.  Admittedly, a large chunk of what I buy at the grocery store is bargain produce that can't be returned :)

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 08:54:11 AM »
Maybe they were donating these items to a food shelter.

They would have done much better by just giving the money to the food bank, which can get bulk discounts and order straight from suppliers. They also have a request list for things like feminine products and low sodium canned vegetables. I don't think they even accept frozen food from individuals, which was most of the receipt.

And the post was meant to be in good fun and out of genuine curiosity, not malice.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 09:17:06 AM by Aunt Petunia »

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 08:58:56 AM »
Hard to tell without the receipt, but from what you described my guess would be a church or community group planning a large luncheon for lots of people.  The foam plates and assortment of processed foods is typical of this sort of purchase.

Honestly, spending $945 isn’t that much if that’s what you are doing. And the person doing the shopping doesn’t care much about clipping coupons.  They just have to so many appetizers and so many plates and so many drinks.  I used make CostCo runs for our open house seminars and I’d drop $1,000 in one go no problem. 

Alternatively, it could be someone that lives in a rural area and they only make a walmart trip a few times per year, so they stock up on mostly non-perishables.  My previous location was like this - a 45 minute trip (each way) to any big-box stores, and the local grocery store was small, pricy and lacked a lot of things.
::shrug::
Large party or event makes sense, but this Walmart is right next to Sam's club, they would have come out ahead by buying the membership and getting the food cheaper. Same for a person who lives far away and stocks up.

There were also a lot of hot pockets and other similar items that you would not normally see at a party or luncheon.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 09:07:41 AM by Aunt Petunia »

nancyfrank232

• Stubble
Just for fun-My husband found a receipt at Walmart
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 09:06:29 AM »
Someone left a receipt for $945 in the cart. I am sad that savings catcher is no more, but we got about $4 from Fetch rewards.

I am sorry I can't attach a picture of it with my phone. It provides interesting details about how other people shop. For example, they bought brand name detergent with no coupons. Also foam plates and a random assortment of processed foods including easy cheese, Velveeta shells, and pizza rolls. There are five loaves of bread so it has to be a large family or group of people, but then why all the expensive brands? There is some reasonable food on there too, like two bell peppers and some tomatoes and pork chops, but 95% is processed crap. And why wouldn't they save their receipt?

Help me figure out why they bought what they bought. My first thought was some kids stole a debit card and just bought whatever they wanted. My husband thinks it's the work of some rich anti mustachian person with a three row SUV.

Donated to charity?
Throwing a party?

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
Re: Just for fun-My husband found a receipt at Walmart
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 09:19:58 AM »
I could see it maybe if they were taking a bunch of teenagers to their cabin for a week, and didn't want to do much cooking. But then why not go to Sam's club?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 09:29:01 AM »

There were also a lot of hot pockets and other similar items that you would not normally see at a party or luncheon.

Apparently you and I are thining of different kinds of luncheons.  If your event involves a lot of kids, teh default is often stuff like hot pockets, tater tots, pizza bagels etc.  Think churches, school groups, youth sports clubs, etc.

Why not Sams Club?  Well as you said it requires a membership, which might be a hurdle for someone shopping for another company.  And to reiterate, the person buying might not have cared (much) about the price.  That's the sad truth about how most purchases are made - convenience over price.
In my current capacity at a large University I literally have a list of approved venders I can buy from.  It's incredibly difficult to buy something from a place not on this list, even if I find the identical item at half the price.  It has to do with taxes and audits and the like.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2019, 09:34:53 AM »
This sounds exactly like what I might buy for my WS pre-game party this weekend.

I don't think I've ever used coupons for detergent -- am I missing some huge savings?  (I only use 1 bottle every 5-6 months, so is it worth the time?)

Also, my secret passion is Easy Cheese.  I know, it's embarrassing.  But it's so bad, it's good! 
Pizza rolls -- best WS or superbowl appetizer when you're not trying to impress anyone.  Everyone loves them and no one wants to admit it. 
Those peppers...maybe to garnish my refried-beans and nachos. 

5 loaves of bread?  pass. 
Foam plates?  Someone clearly doesn't understand what a pizza roll will do to styrofoam. 

What kind of soda was on the receipt?  I'm guessing Grape soda.  Am I right?

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2019, 09:43:27 AM »
This sounds exactly like what I might buy for my WS pre-game party this weekend.

I don't think I've ever used coupons for detergent -- am I missing some huge savings?  (I only use 1 bottle every 5-6 months, so is it worth the time?)

Also, my secret passion is Easy Cheese.  I know, it's embarrassing.  But it's so bad, it's good! 
Pizza rolls -- best WS or superbowl appetizer when you're not trying to impress anyone.  Everyone loves them and no one wants to admit it. 
Those peppers...maybe to garnish my refried-beans and nachos. 

5 loaves of bread?  pass. 
Foam plates?  Someone clearly doesn't understand what a pizza roll will do to styrofoam. 

What kind of soda was on the receipt?  I'm guessing Grape soda.  Am I right?

2 24 packs of Pepsi and a large Hawaiian Punch.

Also 4 gallons of milk. There was lots of frozen pizza too. We have frozen pizza sometimes but don't buy that many at a time.

We have gotten free detergent after coupon and rebate stack. I always buy store brand unless a coupon makes the brand name cheaper.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2019, 09:50:49 AM »

2 24 packs of Pepsi and a large Hawaiian Punch.

Also 4 gallons of milk. There was lots of frozen pizza too. We have frozen pizza sometimes but don't buy that many at a time.

We have gotten free detergent after coupon and rebate stack. I always buy store brand unless a coupon makes the brand name cheaper.

Hawaiian punch!  that's the kicker.  Okay, I'm going to guess even more and ask you WHAT COLOR was most of the processed food?  Was most of it ORANGE?  Because that's a thing.  There are some people that think Orange should be it's own food group.  I'm convinced it's something in the food coloring that makes it addictive. 

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2019, 10:28:47 AM »
Haha I know a guy who eats lots of orange food and drinks orange soda with it too!! On this receipt the only orange things were Velveeta (which as I recall isn't THAT orange) the one can of easy cheese, and possibly chicken fajitas. There were some items I couldn't identify though, and a lot of keebler cookies and snack cakes. I'm not sure what color uncrustables are, there were two boxes of those.

I am starting to think it is maybe a family of teenagers visiting their grandparents for a week, and grandma told them to buy whatever they want. There were 216 separate items, so they would have needed more than one cart.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2019, 11:19:06 AM »
It does sound like you are curious, OP, and I can imagine I would be, too, if I stumbled across a receipt like that.  But DH & I know a woman who regularly shops for hundreds (yes, hundreds) of people who are down on their luck as part of her own personal tithe.  She is someone who has been fortunate in her life, although she has gotten to the point where she takes donations now.  Her shopping receipts regularly top $800, and she shops 3 times/week.  Then she drives around delivering the items.  That was the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw your post.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2019, 11:46:52 AM »
I wonder what people think of my shopping at Trader Joe's and buying lots of cheese and no vegetables...

I get all my vegetables from 2 CSAs.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2019, 12:11:32 PM »

I know more about you from this one thread, than can be decifered from a receipt.

I agree. Pretty odd post without context or personal information.

The other day I spent about $100 at the grocery store buying things for my girl's hockey team. Things I would not normally buy for my personal pantry or consumption but were requested to be purchased for the team. I hope nobody decided to judge me mercilessly.

There are five loaves of bread so it has to be a large family or group of people, but then why all the expensive brands?

Maybe that is their preferred brand? Maybe it tastes better? Maybe they make enough money they don't care about sacrificing flavor for $1.00 in savings?

I often spend $700 at Costco. You'd think I had 12 kids. But I stock up and only hit up Costco every few months. Sometimes I go in for 2 runs, one for paper products and large items (TP, kleenex, beer, dog beds, etc) and another for food products. I also do a lot of cooking and buy almost no premade items. I'd hate to think people are judging me for my purchases without any context or insight.

They would have done much better by just giving the money to the food bank, which can get bulk discounts and order straight from suppliers.

Now we're judging people who are donating? Wow.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2019, 12:17:35 PM »

There's a whole lotta judging that goes on around here (don't hit up the Frugalwoods thread if you're not into judging).  But in the OP's defense, they did say it was "Just for fun." 

I often spend $700 at Costco. You'd think I had 12 kids. But I stock up and only hit up Costco every few months.

This reminded me of the beginning of the summer, when DH & I did our Pre-Hurricane Season BJ's run.  Our 10 year old daughter came with us that time, and she was amazed that we spent over $500.  But it was all to stock up for the hurricane season.  Now that the season is winding down, we're using up the stuff we bought then, and it evens out the food bill, like your Costco run.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2019, 12:30:33 PM »

I agree. Pretty odd post without context or personal information.

The other day I spent about $100 at the grocery store buying things for my girl's hockey team. Things I would not normally buy for my personal pantry or consumption but were requested to be purchased for the team. I hope nobody decided to judge me mercilessly.

There are five loaves of bread so it has to be a large family or group of people, but then why all the expensive brands?

Maybe that is their preferred brand? Maybe it tastes better? Maybe they make enough money they don't care about sacrificing flavor for $1.00 in savings?

I often spend $700 at Costco. You'd think I had 12 kids. But I stock up and only hit up Costco every few months. Sometimes I go in for 2 runs, one for paper products and large items (TP, kleenex, beer, dog beds, etc) and another for food products. I also do a lot of cooking and buy almost no premade items. I'd hate to think people are judging me for my purchases without any context or insight.

They would have done much better by just giving the money to the food bank, which can get bulk discounts and order straight from suppliers.

I checked the local food bank's website just to make sure, and it says that they cannot accept frozen food, so if I were judging the receipt's original owner, I can be absolutely sure that they were not donating most of the items. The website also said that they would much rather have the money, but can accept toiletries, non perishable food, and any garden produce except lettuce.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2019, 12:39:29 PM »
Huh?  The only way of giving food is through a food bank?  Not to sound redundant, but churches, youth-groups, schools etc hold events where they give out food All. The. Time.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2019, 08:18:17 PM »
I’m going with Frat or Sorority shopping to stock the house with food and a few supplies.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2019, 03:25:49 PM »
Coupons?  Who gets those anymore?  Not us folks in Canada.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2019, 11:53:23 AM »
They are running an in-home daycare.  The bread is for sandwiches and on Fridays it's junk food day and the kids get pizza and hot pockets, etc. The few real food items are for the adult workers. The plates make for easy cleanup and they don't have to worry about running the dishwasher 3 times a day.  Accidents will happen with young kids so they're ready to wash the clothes,towels and blankies at a moment's notice. 

Why not Sam's club you say?  Well turns out the owner of the daycare had a falling out with one of the Sam's Club managers over something non business related (something about putting her personal business on social media and causing her to lose a few clients), but still boycotting until they cool off.  In the meantime, Walmart marches on.  In all of the rush to get this errand done, they forgot the coupons on the kitchen counter and they just didn't have the time or energy to go back and get them once at the store.  She didn't bother to take the receipt with her cause she needed and emergency tissue...

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2019, 12:07:18 PM »
They are running an in-home daycare.  The bread is for sandwiches and on Fridays it's junk food day and the kids get pizza and hot pockets, etc. The few real food items are for the adult workers. The plates make for easy cleanup and they don't have to worry about running the dishwasher 3 times a day.  Accidents will happen with young kids so they're ready to wash the clothes,towels and blankies at a moment's notice. 

Why not Sam's club you say?  Well turns out the owner of the daycare had a falling out with one of the Sam's Club managers over something non business related (something about putting her personal business on social media and causing her to lose a few clients), but still boycotting until they cool off.  In the meantime, Walmart marches on.  In all of the rush to get this errand done, they forgot the coupons on the kitchen counter and they just didn't have the time or energy to go back and get them once at the store.  She didn't bother to take the receipt with her cause she needed and emergency tissue...

Nice backstory... what was the falling out over?

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2019, 12:41:00 PM »
I don't have all the particulars but the daycare owner had a messy breakup with the baby daddy and confided in the Sam's Club manager and a few of the more juicy bits made it onto Fa*ebook.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2019, 01:24:50 PM »
I don't have all the particulars but the daycare owner had a messy breakup with the baby daddy and confided in the Sam's Club manager and a few of the more juicy bits made it onto Fa*ebook.

Love it!!!! But wouldn't they need the receipt to write off the food as a business expense? Unless she is running an illegal daycare and getting paid under the table....

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2019, 03:10:36 PM »
Walmart also does electronic receipts now so I'm guessing that's why she felt comfortable using the hard copy as tissue.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2019, 05:28:14 PM »

Love it!!!! But wouldn't they need the receipt to write off the food as a business expense? Unless she is running an illegal daycare and getting paid under the table....
I don't think so.  At least where I live, if you are licensed you get a certain amount awarded to the daycare for food.  I don't think receipts are required.  (I don't know for sure, but both my kids were in home daycares, and one of my friends runs one.)

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2019, 06:18:27 PM »

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2019, 05:21:41 PM »
Yes I've seen that one, too. It's interesting the pattern we see worldwide.

With the lowest income, people have grains or tubers, beans and cooking oil.
Income goes up, they add meat.
After that, fruit and vegies.
Then, soft drinks.
From there, processed and prepared food starts to edge out the fresh stuff, with fruit and vegies disappearing first.

It's interesting that this is a worldwide pattern, suggesting that it's from something inherent in humans, rather than specific to particular cultures, etc.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2019, 05:38:27 AM »
Sounds like some kind of party plus a few household items?

There are definitely people who buy name brand items without coupons, for whatever reason. 

I rarely save a receipt from the grocery store unless I think I am likely to return something.  I usually scan through it before leaving to make sure there is nothing incorrect/unexpected, and then I am done with it.  Admittedly, a large chunk of what I buy at the grocery store is bargain produce that can't be returned :)

Just for fun I throw in the speculation that it was someone who just moved to the US and throwed a "Hey neighbors" party and only bought international recognizable brands.

But then... I needed to look up "Easy Cheese" and I am quite sure nobody outside the US (except maybe Japan) does such a crazy stuff. Cheese out of a bottle??? If you turn up with that in France you propably get stoned, so be careful!

It's interesting that this is a worldwide pattern, suggesting that it's from something inherent in humans, rather than specific to particular cultures, etc.
Maybe it's not inherent in humans, but inherent in the interest of big companies? If people can't afford to buy fruits, you don't sell them. But once they get rich enough... companies start to rush in to milk the market.

I accept that eating meat is inherent for humans (it is the easiest way for the body to use food), but the rest... I would be very carefully.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2019, 08:53:39 AM »
Many here will totally judge my Trader Joe's run later in the day which will be mostly frozen dinners.  I generally only shop their every few months and stock up on their frozen meals for my I don't feel like cooking dinners.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2019, 09:04:11 AM »
Many here will totally judge my Trader Joe's run later in the day which will be mostly frozen dinners.  I generally only shop their every few months and stock up on their frozen meals for my I don't feel like cooking dinners.

Our nearest TJs is about 90 minutes away.  Every few months we do a similar stockup... buying mutiple bags of their gyoza, gnocci, orange beef, veggie stir-fry and other quick-prep meals. We do a lot of meal prep on our own but there are so many things there that make a good, quick family meal for ~$5 that we always try to have some on hand. Sure beats getting delivery or take-out on price.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2019, 02:01:04 PM »

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2019, 02:36:59 PM »
Yes I've seen that one, too. It's interesting the pattern we see worldwide.

With the lowest income, people have grains or tubers, beans and cooking oil.
Income goes up, they add meat.
After that, fruit and vegies.
Then, soft drinks.
From there, processed and prepared food starts to edge out the fresh stuff, with fruit and vegies disappearing first.

Maybe it's not inherent in humans, but inherent in the interest of big companies? If people can't afford to buy fruits, you don't sell them. But once they get rich enough... companies start to rush in to milk the market.

I accept that eating meat is inherent for humans (it is the easiest way for the body to use food), but the rest... I would be very carefully.

Interesting thought. I would agree that at the higher end advertising and what companies want to push play a big role. Processed foods bring in higher margins than dry starches and oil while being easier to store and transport than whole fruits, vegetables, and meat so it makes sense that companies push them. Also it's more difficult to brand whole foods than processed ones. Then there's the relationship between income and access to media where the products are advertised.

As for fresh fruits and vegetables being the first to go, I'd guess that's a combination of convenience and taste. Processed food is easier and meat tastes better.

I'm sure there are many factors at play, so I'm not trying to draw any conclusions, just throwing out some thoughts.

-And thanks for the book mention Kyle, look's like it's available at my library so I'll be checking it out this weekend

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2019, 02:47:17 PM »
Maybe it's not inherent in humans, but inherent in the interest of big companies?
No, I think it's inherent in humans.

First, we take care of our basic caloric needs, and some of our protein and nutrient needs - grains, beans and tubers. We can survive a long time with little protein and poor vitamins and minerals, we can't survive long with poor calories.
Next, we take care of our protein needs, and some more of our nutrient needs - meat and fish. We'll do better with more than the minimum protein.
After that, we take care of our nutrient needs - fruit and vegetables. We'll do better with a good amount of vitamins and minerals, having better chances of reproducing, lower infant mortality, better everyday energy and health, etc.

From there it's luxuries - soft drinks, junk food. We add things which taste good but don't contribute terribly much to our health. And after that we get someone else to prepare food for us - we buy processed food and takeout.

For most of human history food has been scarce and unreliable. There was the daily grains and tubers, but then only a gazelle every two weeks. Some people had a gluttonous gene, some had an I'll Just Eat The Salad gene. Then one day it was six weeks between gazelles. The gluttonous gene guy had some extra chub, leaned out a bit over the six weeks, survived and passed those genes on; Mr Salad had no chubby reserves and died, turned into Machinist Christian Bale and couldn't pass on his Salad genes.

For most of human history, gluttony has been a survival advantage. It's only in the last couple of centuries that some places have had so much food it's a health hazard.

Likewise, sloth.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2019, 03:01:43 PM »
First, we take care of our basic caloric needs, and some of our protein and nutrient needs - grains, beans and tubers. We can survive a long time with little protein and poor vitamins and minerals, we can't survive long with poor calories.
Next, we take care of our protein needs, and some more of our nutrient needs - meat and fish. We'll do better with more than the minimum protein.
After that, we take care of our nutrient needs - fruit and vegetables. We'll do better with a good amount of vitamins and minerals, having better chances of reproducing, lower infant mortality, better everyday energy and health, etc.

In that part you forget that we are talking about stuff sold in shops.
Before people buy e.g. fruits in shops, they generally get them themselves - by having a fruit tree for example. It's only when you get a larger population that is not self-sufficient by their own land and that earns more than basic necessities, that you get shops selling all that stuff that is not basic food.

Anyway, judging by a single receipt is not not going to tell you the truth about a person.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2019, 04:10:47 PM »
I don't think that receipt was for a single person, most likely they were buying stuff for a party of some kind.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2019, 10:48:46 PM »
I used to scout for deals on stuff I could donate to my food bank. That is, until I visited their facility and saw how it's run. I learned they buy imperfect produce for twelve cents a pound! Their rule of thumb is that they can provide three pounds of food for every dollar they receive in donations. From then on, I help organize food drives to raise awareness, but now I donate my own money instead of food. Badass shoppers, my food bank friends!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!