Author Topic: My haircutter just didn't get it  (Read 6044 times)

rob in cal

• Bristles
My haircutter just didn't get it
« on: May 25, 2015, 09:54:38 AM »
   So I was getting a haircut (big sale on at the place in question) and I was really impressed with the young woman giving me my hair cut.  She was working two jobs, something like 50 hours a week or even more.  She was using the extra money to pay off debt.  So far so good.  I kept mentioning the investing possibilities, or just the good lifestyle options that open up when you wipe out debt and move unto the financial offensive.  But, everytime I mentioned this, she kept mentioning that the main reason for all this debt destruction was to improve her credit score.  She wasn't excited at all about the mere fact of  paying off her car, which IIRC was one of her goals, but rather the credit score improvement that would come with doing so.  You can lead a horse to water...

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: My haircutter just didn't get it
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 10:04:09 AM »
She's been inhaling too many chemical fumes.

Mine was telling me about the 1-year old Mercedes she just bought. Apparently I've been tipping too much.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 03:39:22 PM »
At my last appt, I discovered that my haircutter is pretty badass, and told her about MMM. She seemed really interested, so maybe another convert?

And yes, facepunch for going to her. I make sure to wait at least 3 months between haircuts and she is definitely less expensive than many other places near me.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 04:57:30 PM »
My haircutter never talks about anything.  Just buzzes loudly after I turn it on.  :P

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 05:06:04 PM »
My haircutter never talks about anything.  Just buzzes loudly after I turn it on.  :P

Sorry, I had a filthy mental image for a second. It's because I was playing Cards Against Humanity earlier this weekend.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 05:17:36 PM »

I met with my haircutter a few hours ago.  Its great.  I paid one $40 bill and now cuts my hair for free every week in my bathroom.  I don't even have to leave the house. 

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 07:04:26 PM »
LOL, by the title of this thread, I thought the story was that you tried to save money on a haircut, but the hair cutter didn't understand what style you wanted.  Pics of bad haircut wanted ;-)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 07:12:29 PM »
I really want to get my haircut, but I just can't stomach spending the money. (I have curly hair that doesn't curl evenly, I can't go to a great clips/ cost cutters style place. It has ended very badly twice. I learned my lesson).  It's been about 2 years since I've gone...so I keep thinking 'just wait a bit longer'.

When my hair is short, it looks cute, when it is long I just wear it in a bun, which is boring.  But it's like $75 once I tip...

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 07:24:42 PM »
I'm lucky in that I just let my hair grow, it gets to a certain length, and then I shed at about the same rate it grows...

The beard does need regular hacking back, though lately I've been letting it grow to see what it does longer - it's surprisingly manageable with a bit of brushing.  I do need to order some mustache wax... I'm tired of eating my mustache, and I'd rather not trim it, as I'm hoping to be able to do something entertaining with it by mid-summer.

The last professional haircut/trim/etc I got was a few years back for my brother's wedding - very nice beard trim and straight razor shave from a Russian guy who I'm glad I didn't piss off.

YoungInvestor

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 07:35:21 PM »
My stylist doesn't really care about this stuff, but he seems somewhat reasonable in his expenses, which is all that truly matters.

I would never cut my own hair, with my horrible skills. 25$ a month seems quite cheap not to look like a tool, especially while I'm single!

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 08:21:33 PM »
25$ a month seems quite cheap not to look like a tool, especially while I'm single!

$25 a month for haircuts seems like robbery to me! I used to pay $15 every 2-3 months and that was enough to inspire me to do it myself and save that money.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 08:52:50 PM »
Every now and then you can go to a hair styling school and get a free cut.  But, you get what you pay for, since the free hair cut is by someone who may not know how to cut hair yet.

I have a relative who loves to give "free" haircuts when she visits!  I conveniently make sure I just got prior to her coming to town.