Author Topic: My friend asked me if he should buy a $5000 hot tub  (Read 23841 times)

Emg03063

• Bristles
My friend asked me if he should buy a $5000 hot tub
« on: August 18, 2014, 09:07:51 PM »
Background:  my friend is the epitome of anti-mustachianism, self employed, ~$80k in annual income, about half of which is business expense, but he lives closer to an $80k w-2 lifestyle than a $40k one, drives an exterra on credit, travels regularly, etc, etc.  Has close to $0 in retirement savings, routinely makes purchases on credit and fully intends to die broke, b/c he is unwilling to make any sacrifices in his current consumption levels in order to buy his freedom.  We're out to lunch with some mutual friends last week, and he mentioned that he is considering buying this $400 inflatable Wal-mart hot tub.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/34480054?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227024716071&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=40330060352&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78288282032&veh=sem

My (other) engineer friend and I mention that he might want to consider the operating costs needed in terms of electricity & pool chemicals needed to operate the thing, and that based on our back of the envelope calculations, he might be better off in the long run buying a real insulated hot tub based on how much he might spend in electricity to keep 210 gallons of water warm in an uninsulated container.   My friend's wheels start spinning, and he reluctantly agrees to think it over.

Five days later, he texts me a picture of a shiny new $5000 fiberglass hot tub in a showroom with the message:  "Should I buy?  $5000"  I don't respond.  An hour later he calls me, and the following conversation ensues:

Him: "Did you get my text?"
Me: "yes"
Him:  "What do you think?"
Me:  "Do you have an extra $5000 laying around?"
Him:  "Of course not!"
Me:  "Well, that kind of answers your question then, doesn't it?"
Him (in irritated tone of voice):  "Uhhh, there's a thing called credit.  It's no interest for 12 months.  That's only like $400/month."
Me:  "Do you plan on having an extra $400/ month over the next 12 months?"
Him (very irritated now): "Yes, Eric, I think I can afford an extra $400/month."
Me:  "Ok, is this the best possible use of your extra $400/month?"
Him (totally irritated) "Ok, well I obviously don't want to talk to you about this.  I'll talk to you later." (Hangs up)

He knows me well enough to know I would never condone this behavior, but is obviously unhappy with my line of questioning when asking my advice.  I just felt the desire to relay this here to a sympathetic audience.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 09:10:22 PM by Emg03063 »

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
Re: My friend asked me if he should buy a $5000 hot tub
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 09:13:24 PM »
Wow, I really don't understand people like that.

I used to have a friend like that, she would tell me the stupid money decisions they would make I'm not sure why, she knew I wouldn't congratulate her on them, I learned to just be silent because if I spoke she disagreed with everything, it didn't really matter what I said, I just don't know why these types of people ask advice of us, we are pretty predictable in this matter.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 09:18:04 PM »

Him: "Did you get my text?"
Me: "yes"
Him:  "What do you think?"
Me:  "Do you have an extra $5000 laying around?"
Him:  "Of course not!"
Me:  "Well, that kind of answers your question then, doesn't it?"
Him (in irritated tone of voice):  "Uhhh, there's a thing called credit.  It's no interest for 12 months.  That's only like $400/month."
Me:  "Do you plan on having an extra $400/ month over the next 12 months?"
Him (very irritated now): "Yes, Eric, I think I can afford an extra $400/month."
Me:  "Ok, is this the best possible use of your extra $400/month?"
Him (totally irritated) "Ok, well I obviously don't want to talk to you about this.  I'll talk to you later." (Hangs up)

Wow the quality of this conversation is eerily similar to those I have with my step-daughter. EERILY CLOSE.
They usually end in, 'well I don't want to talk to you about this anymore'.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 09:19:09 PM »
Imma probably get me a $5k hot tub soon.  But I do have an extra $5k lying around (times over 100), so....

Seriously, though, this is a luxury that I know from experience is worth the cost (for me).  Some people splurge on whatever, but I love me a good hot tub.

db_cooper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 09:48:14 PM »
same here,  about to put a hot tub in our foreclosure find/steal  ski cabin,  looking for a craigslist deal,  but have the cash, and it's worth it for the experience of watching the snow come down.   It all depends on the situation.   Also,  once you have it, they are easy to fix, which is mustachian.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 10:54:43 PM »
same here,  about to put a hot tub in our foreclosure find/steal  ski cabin,  looking for a craigslist deal,  but have the cash, and it's worth it for the experience of watching the snow come down.   It all depends on the situation.   Also,  once you have it, they are easy to fix, which is mustachian.

What kind are you looking for?  I've seen a lot of hypy ads comparing operating cost (for example, Bullfrog says $12/mo).  Used tubs definitely bring out the "ick" factor in my mind, so what critera are you running for your craigslist search?

a

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 11:57:26 PM »
Used tubs definitely bring out the "ick" factor in my mind

I totally agree when it comes to using them directly, e.g when I see a hotel advertise in-room whirlpool bathtubs I always cringe a bit. When were the hoses last cleaned? Probably never. What have people been doing in them? Probably things I don't want to know.

But if you're actually buying it for permanent use I'd think you could just fill 'er up with bleach and let it run for a while. A good scrubbing down (maybe replacing some hoses or something) and it would be good as new. It might take a little elbow grease but that should only make relaxing in it afterwards all the more enjoyable!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 04:20:07 AM »
My dream home will definitely include a hot tub.

The difference is that I know I've got better uses for $5,000 now. When I generate more than enough passive income, then I'll get one. I'll have all day to enjoy it :)

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 04:45:57 AM »
When I finally find a plot of land to build a home on one day I will be getting a hot tub. Preferrably on a balcony/patio with a nice view.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 05:21:29 AM »
We'll definitely be putting in a hot tub once the deck section it will go on is built. We might well even run it through a rewards credit card. But that's a far cry from making payments...

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 09:13:01 AM »
We're planning on getting a hot tub at some point- but that will be well down the line since several house upgrades (replacing and expanding the driveway and pad by the garage) have to happen first.

Out of curiousity and since it was there and free, we went to see a hot tub and swim spa show a few months back- I'd personally LOVE one of the swim spas that you can 'swim laps' in (though you're not moving) and had never seen one in person or in operation so was excited to do so. Until we finally got them to tell us what the cost of the model we were most interested in was: $17,000 dollars. SEVENTEEN THOUSAND dollars. We're both good at controlling our reactions but I KNOW we both went O_O at that. They kept pushing too for us to put a deposit down on one- only $300! and it locks in your price and the financing for when you're ready in a few months! We of course walked away barely keeping from laughing. $17k is more than our cars (minus the D) are worth combined!

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 09:43:17 AM »
Are you going to have access to said hot tub?  If you are, you know what the answer is. 

I like when my friends blow money on stupid stuff I get to enjoy. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 10:01:05 AM »
My experience drinking in hot tubs is that I get drunk ridiculously quicker.  Something to do with the heat . . . If your friend is a heavy drinker, the hot tub could be an investment that pays back via reduced alcohol expenditures.  :P

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 10:40:56 AM »
You can get one a lot cheaper than that off of eBay. Exact same model and all that for $1.5k less. Father-in-law did this and it was awesome. My experience with hot tubs is that the first year or two, they get used a TON. Then it kind of peters off after that though. You should have him get it and party in it.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 11:49:38 AM »
I used to work as the service manager for a hot tub place.  There is no way in hell i would every buy one.  The upfront cost is only part of the equation.  They require chemicels every week($200 a month here) they require loads of water(estimates on $20 a fill) they have to be dumped and re filled every three months to maintain water quality.  They need filter changes and cleaned ever 2-3 weeks($5-10 a month based on brand and if you clean it yourself) Electricity to heat the tub(even the most efficiant ones average $45-75 a month here)

Then there is repairs... they break down, often.  A new motor, even on ebay will run you $150-700 and you can count on that once every 3-4 years unless you take prestine care of your water... they are a huge... I mean Huge expence.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 12:15:26 PM »
I used to work as the service manager for a hot tub place.  There is no way in hell i would every buy one.  The upfront cost is only part of the equation.  They require chemicels every week($200 a month here) they require loads of water(estimates on $20 a fill) they have to be dumped and re filled every three months to maintain water quality.  They need filter changes and cleaned ever 2-3 weeks($5-10 a month based on brand and if you clean it yourself) Electricity to heat the tub(even the most efficiant ones average $45-75 a month here)

Then there is repairs... they break down, often.  A new motor, even on ebay will run you $150-700 and you can count on that once every 3-4 years unless you take prestine care of your water... they are a huge... I mean Huge expence.

Ex had one, was really nice.  No way she spend anything near that on chemicals, am sure they were not free but still.  200$/mon, is this a bit like going to Jiffy-Lube every 5k miles and getting the high end synthetic?  Yes maybe that is what is 'best' but no one actually does it and the actual requirement is much less?  I think we drained it yearly too.  Her power bill was stupid but there were other factors in that.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 12:47:13 PM »
Also $20 to fill it would give me about 3,000 gallons of water.  I was under the impression they were about 300 gallons for a 5 person tub.  $2/fill sounds more reasonable and realistic than $20.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 01:40:10 PM »
They tubs were about 2000L... this is the cost here that they told customers.  The cemicals that they sell come in a 30 day supply for $200.  This is the chemical that they push on every one of their customer and that 95% of them buy.  After all it is the best.

I always like that because in your market things are cheaper must mean someone is lying about things.

AlanStache - did you happen to run yours year round... when it was -40 to -50 c for three or four weeks at a time.  this was the average electricity costs as quoted by our customers. 

Yes there are cheaper chemicles if you shop around... but if you were spending upwards of 20k on a toy you can afford not to shop around.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 01:51:08 PM »
"-40 to -50 c"  wtf!!!!  hell no.  But would not know if it was running or not as I would in bed under 10" of blankets.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 01:53:46 PM »
-40 to -50 is a reality here at least 3 weeks to a month every year.  We do not stop working, and just go about as normal(I even ride my bike the 10 each way to work). 

This is when hot tubs fail, and why people spend the premium to have someone come fix it... 

nordlead

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 02:04:55 PM »
They tubs were about 2000L... this is the cost here that they told customers.  The cemicals that they sell come in a 30 day supply for $200.  This is the chemical that they push on every one of their customer and that 95% of them buy.  After all it is the best.

I always like that because in your market things are cheaper must mean someone is lying about things.

AlanStache - did you happen to run yours year round... when it was -40 to -50 c for three or four weeks at a time.  this was the average electricity costs as quoted by our customers. 

Yes there are cheaper chemicles if you shop around... but if you were spending upwards of 20k on a toy you can afford not to shop around.

So, what you should have said, is you wouldn't buy a hottub because you'd buy expensive chemicals marked up 100x over going to the local grocery and hardware stores. Maybe some people buy expensive chemicals, especially for the first year, but I bet most people will shop around if they maintain their own pool/hottub.

You can't throw out the most expensive prices to justify your stance without expecting push back when people know there are much cheaper options regardless of the market.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 02:08:15 PM »

So, what you should have said, is you wouldn't buy a hottub because you'd buy expensive chemicals marked up 100x over going to the local grocery and hardware stores. Maybe some people buy expensive chemicals, especially for the first year, but I bet most people will shop around if they maintain their own pool/hottub.

You can't throw out the most expensive prices to justify your stance without expecting push back when people know there are much cheaper options regardless of the market.

That just it though.... there are only two or three choices here... Prices are the same... People could shop online, but most wont/dont.  No harware, grocery sell here... maybe just a hard market, but that is the normal here. 

By the way the "cheap" chemicals that were sold were still in the $125 per month range.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 02:17:27 PM »
My dream home will definitely include a hot tub.

The difference is that I know I've got better uses for $5,000 now. When I generate more than enough passive income, then I'll get one. I'll have all day to enjoy it :)

I like the way you reason.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 02:18:26 PM »
Are you going to have access to said hot tub?  If you are, you know what the answer is. 

I like when my friends blow money on stupid stuff I get to enjoy.

Yeah, I don't currently but there have times when I have had friends that would blow money on stupid stuff. They generally knew what I would think of their expense, and so I felt absolutely no guilt enjoying it when I could.

FuturePrimitive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 07:38:38 AM »

That just it though.... there are only two or three choices here... Prices are the same... People could shop online, but most wont/dont.  No harware, grocery sell here... maybe just a hard market, but that is the normal here. 

By the way the "cheap" chemicals that were sold were still in the $125 per month range.
Ok, are chemicals really that different for a hot tub than for a pool? I know the Cl level needs to be higher but I would think the Ph/hardness/alkalinity/etc would be similar. For my pool I've spent <200 on chemicals for this entire season so far (including opening), and I've likely got enough chlorine to last the rest of the season. (And I've spent $0 on heating, so glad my pool is solar heated!)

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2014, 07:41:19 AM »

Ok, are chemicals really that different for a hot tub than for a pool? I know the Cl level needs to be higher but I would think the Ph/hardness/alkalinity/etc would be similar. For my pool I've spent <200 on chemicals for this entire season so far (including opening), and I've likely got enough chlorine to last the rest of the season. (And I've spent $0 on heating, so glad my pool is solar heated!)

I suspect not... the chemicals for a pool ran the same amount at the store...  keep in mind that when we had our Janurary shindig for the managers to discuss business progress etc, that they were not happy with their 450% mark up.  They were hopping that they could get into the 700-800% range, but were not sure if the market could handle it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2014, 08:19:12 AM »

I suspect not... the chemicals for a pool ran the same amount at the store...  keep in mind that when we had our Janurary shindig for the managers to discuss business progress etc, that they were not happy with their 450% mark up.  They were hopping that they could get into the 700-800% range, but were not sure if the market could handle it.

I believe Cl is lost quicker at higher temperatures -- for example by running the jets for a couple hours you can eliminate the Cl to make the water safe for plants.  This is just what I heard, and that this is one reason Br is used instead.  So maybe, per volume of water, the chemical cost is higher. 

FuturePrimitive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2014, 08:24:18 AM »

Wow, I'm clearly in the wrong business! Of course, things are different here, a case of liquid Cl (4 gallons) goes for $16 and that's only if you buy "Official Pool Cl". Some guys on a pool forum I frequent get it down even cheaper by buying regular bleach at Walmart. (Most household bleach is just 3% Cl.)

Anyway, it probably has a lot to do with local market factors up there, I imagine pools are not as common in CA as they are in the states, making chemicals and other pool items/services a niche market. 

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2014, 08:37:17 AM »

Wow, I'm clearly in the wrong business! Of course, things are different here, a case of liquid Cl (4 gallons) goes for $16 and that's only if you buy "Official Pool Cl". Some guys on a pool forum I frequent get it down even cheaper by buying regular bleach at Walmart. (Most household bleach is just 3% Cl.)

Anyway, it probably has a lot to do with local market factors up there, I imagine pools are not as common in CA as they are in the states, making chemicals and other pool items/services a niche market.

That is true... i am very seriously thinking of starting a repair business as a side gig... there is good money in this, espically when you are good...

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 08:41:15 AM »
With regards to the "ick" factor: nothing a good bleaching can't solve. Yeah, people have had their balls rubbing against it, but guess what, when you buy a used car there's a pretty good chance it's seen some backseat action from two horny teenagers.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2014, 08:42:42 AM »
With regards to the "ick" factor: nothing a good bleaching can't solve. Yeah, people have had their balls rubbing against it, but guess what, when you buy a used car there's a pretty good chance it's seen some backseat action from two horny teenagers.

That is really funny... true but funny.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2014, 09:29:43 AM »

So what you're saying is... don't buy a used car

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2014, 09:57:51 AM »

I think what he is saying is that you need to buy a disinfectant, or a black light, when you buy a used car... Can you imagine a rental car?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 10:29:04 AM »

I think what he is saying is that you need to buy a disinfectant, or a black light, when you buy a used car... Can you imagine a rental car?

Yeah, luckily I'm always fully clothed in rental cars

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2014, 11:42:23 AM »

Yeah, luckily I'm always fully clothed in rental cars

Well, either you're doing it wrong or I am then.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2014, 03:25:43 PM »
Hot tubs are great, we love ours and use it at least 3-4 times a week.  Buy on credit though?  Not a chance.  We bought ours using an annual bonus.   

We bought a Softub, which is a lightweight foam tub (not inflatable) that uses a standard electrical hookup, and you don't need a concrete pad.  It's not quite as nice as a fiberglass one, but has some advantages for us.  The military won't move a standard hot tub for you, but this we can send with the rest of our household goods.  We've also had no problem finding rentals that let us have it there.  Chemicals and electricity cost about $20/month.  I have chronic back pain, and my job doesn't make that better.  Soaking in the hot tub with the jets going makes a huge difference in how my back feels.  I'd pay well over $20/month for that.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2014, 03:49:28 PM »
Well, either you're doing it wrong or I am then.

ROFLMAO

and I am at work (Regina today!) sneaking peek at the forum, too.!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2014, 03:59:08 PM »
Hot tubs are great, we love ours and use it at least 3-4 times a week.  Buy on credit though?  Not a chance.  We bought ours using an annual bonus.   

We bought a Softub, which is a lightweight foam tub (not inflatable) that uses a standard electrical hookup, and you don't need a concrete pad.  It's not quite as nice as a fiberglass one, but has some advantages for us.  The military won't move a standard hot tub for you, but this we can send with the rest of our household goods.  We've also had no problem finding rentals that let us have it there.  Chemicals and electricity cost about $20/month.  I have chronic back pain, and my job doesn't make that better.  Soaking in the hot tub with the jets going makes a huge difference in how my back feels.  I'd pay well over $20/month for that.

edit: eh, looks a bit pricey for what it is

Wow, that's pretty cool.  I'm putting it on my research list.  Seems like it is more efficient due to being 100% foam?  I'd worry about longevity, though....
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 04:04:02 PM by dragoncar »

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2014, 04:23:37 PM »

edit: eh, looks a bit pricey for what it is

Wow, that's pretty cool.  I'm putting it on my research list.  Seems like it is more efficient due to being 100% foam?  I'd worry about longevity, though....

They are a little expensive.  We got ours at a special event though, so it was about $1500 less.  At least from what I've read, the longevity is pretty decent, if you take good care of it.  Not as good as a fiberglass, but again we're in a demographic that would make a traditional tub difficult.  We've moved with ours twice.  I think fiberglass is a better option if you're staying in one place and can put in the pad and electrical hookups.  With this, we just tuck it out on the patio of whatever house we're renting, and even rolled it into the attached garage at one house during the winter.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2014, 04:49:33 PM »
Let him get it, it's not your money. Then wait till he complains about how he has no money.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2014, 06:06:12 PM »
Never try to talk your friends out of these things.   That's how I get use of a time share,  get to ride horses and watch really important games on a giant screen TV.  They buy this stuff,  I'll bring a yummy dish to share and a good time is had by all. I'm delighted when they decide they need new patio furniture and gift me the old stuff.  Powerwash and some spray paint and my place is all done up, too.  If I tsk tsk that they didn't need a new chaise with a lecture about saving for the future,  blah blah,  it doesn't do any good for anybody.
I wish they'd buy a boat. ...
Seriously,  when your friend sends you a pic of their hot tub, offer to bring the beer for the first hot tub party.

With friends like you, who needs family?

Luckily, my family is not like that. No one would push me to purchase something for them to use it. Of course, there is the saying that there's always an annoying/outcast/something-or-other person in a group. And if you don't notice anyone in the group with that characteristic, then it's probably you. (boy I really butchered that story but I can't remember the details). So O-M-G maybe *I* am the leecher in the family. Now I'm embarassed.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2014, 02:21:32 AM »
Never try to talk your friends out of these things.   That's how I get use of a time share,  get to ride horses and watch really important games on a giant screen TV.  They buy this stuff,  I'll bring a yummy dish to share and a good time is had by all. I'm delighted when they decide they need new patio furniture and gift me the old stuff.  Powerwash and some spray paint and my place is all done up, too.  If I tsk tsk that they didn't need a new chaise with a lecture about saving for the future,  blah blah,  it doesn't do any good for anybody.
I wish they'd buy a boat. ...
Seriously,  when your friend sends you a pic of their hot tub, offer to bring the beer for the first hot tub party.

With friends like you, who needs family?

Luckily, my family is not like that. No one would push me to purchase something for them to use it. Of course, there is the saying that there's always an annoying/outcast/something-or-other person in a group. And if you don't notice anyone in the group with that characteristic, then it's probably you. (boy I really butchered that story but I can't remember the details). So O-M-G maybe *I* am the leecher in the family. Now I'm embarassed.

LOL
Maybe I am the leech, but they keep asking me back, so I don't think so.  I'm not pushing them to buy anything,  I'm just not expending effort to talk them out of what they already want.   
My point is that no one likes a lecture,  and you can't save people from themselves.   If you're the Debbie Downer about all their fun and frivolous purchases, eventually they buy that crap anyway and just enjoy it without you.   So, no, I'm not going to tell my friends that they are wasting money on the NFL package on cable,  I'm bringing refreshments when they host a Super Bowl party.  I'm helping groom their horses and pack a picnic lunch for our regular trail rides and keeping my trap shut about how expensive horses are to feed, etc.  And my friends with the timeshare get treated to a very nice dinner every time they invite us along on a trip.  The last thing I'd do is tell them how antimustachian it was to provide me with a vacation

Anyway,  I tend not to believe that people who are "broke" are really giving you the full story.  The OP's friend makes 80K, so he's doing better than most from an income perspective.   Beyond that,  we simply don't know about his finances.

I like your style, Kite.  Next time I feel the urge to get all mustachian on my splurging friends I'll remember you.

In retrospect, my whole summer vacation was spent enjoying my friend's awesome stuff with them while couch-surfing.  Not lecturing was the KEY. So I was practicing what you've been preaching!   

Goldie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2014, 11:06:45 AM »
It always surprises me what people want to spend their money / time on (or in). I have a coworker who gets in her hot tub weekly. I have zero desire to ever get in one, so it's just unusual to me to hear people spending that kind of money on something I'd never do. But I guess there's a market for everything.

As an aside ... We have a jacuzzi tub in our master that came with the house. We thought oh that looks fun, we'll try it sometime. In two years I've tried in once and HATED it. It's enormous and wasteful, IMO. I really want to redo the bathroom and get a regular tub. That jacuzzi tub is so hard to get in and out of due to the jets and motors taking up so much space. It's so annoying. We now use it as a very large sink for my husband to sit in while I cut his hair.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2014, 01:50:30 PM »
We now use it as a very large sink for my husband to sit in while I cut his hair.

I think we have different understandings of what a sink is or the approximate size of one standard issue husband.

Second that on the jacuzzi tub, only time it had water in it was before a storm when we might have lost the water supply.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2014, 02:13:40 PM »
We now use it as a very large sink for my husband to sit in while I cut his hair.

I think we have different understandings of what a sink is or the approximate size of one standard issue husband.

Second that on the jacuzzi tub, only time it had water in it was before a storm when we might have lost the water supply.

Would your husband fit in a rowboat?

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2014, 02:18:20 PM »
My parents have had a hot tub for about 18 years.  They just replaced the first one.  My dad suffers from back/neck/leg pain and uses it every morning. 

We had one that came with a rental house and I used it a couple times a week, more in the winter.  Great place to relax over a brew.

I will have one when I retire from the Navy and move somewhere semi-permanently.

TreeTired

• Bristles
  • I think we can make it (We made it!)
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2014, 02:26:20 PM »
Do you think one hot tub is enough?   What if the temperature isn't just right?  If you had 2 you could maintain one at "warm" and the other really "hot".   What if one sprung a leak?  Wouldn't it be handy to have a spare?   What if the pump or filter broke on one of them?   You could probably get the 2nd one cheaper than the first in a package deal.  I really think he should buy 2.

We redid our bathroom last year and took out the Jacuzzi tub and didn't even put a bath tub in our new bathroom.   Stayed at a B&B last weekend that had a big Jacuzzi tub in the bathroom and didn't get in it once.

Goldie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2014, 10:31:43 PM »

LOL, what? Is this so weird? Like a good mustachioed wife, I cut my husband's hair at home with clippers. He sits in the monstrous jacuzzi tub in our master bathroom and I stand in it and cut his hair. That way his hair doesn't go all over the floor. We wipe up the hair for the most part and can easily rinse the little hairs down the drain, much easier than if it got on our tile floor. We're both normal sized people. I was just illustrating how useless the stupid thing is to us! :) It's only good for catching hair. Likely not what the builder or original owners had in mind. They probably thought it was a selling point!

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2014, 04:49:56 AM »

LOL, what? Is this so weird? Like a good mustachioed wife, I cut my husband's hair at home with clippers. He sits in the monstrous jacuzzi tub in our master bathroom and I stand in it and cut his hair. That way his hair doesn't go all over the floor. We wipe up the hair for the most part and can easily rinse the little hairs down the drain, much easier than if it got on our tile floor. We're both normal sized people. I was just illustrating how useless the stupid thing is to us! :) It's only good for catching hair. Likely not what the builder or original owners had in mind. They probably thought it was a selling point!

Ok, I missed the "it as" in the original quote - changing the meaning to he sits in a very large sink.  my bad :-)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2014, 09:39:16 AM »
But it's a dry cold.  ;-)  As in "It's not the heat (cold), it's the humidity.

Seriously, my Mom grew up on the prairies, and she froze when she moved to Toronto.

A hot tub is nice in winter, when you have just spent an hour shoveling snow from the side of the house to keep the furnace vents open (BTDT).  But there are other ways to warm up.

-40 to -50 is a reality here at least 3 weeks to a month every year.  We do not stop working, and just go about as normal (I even ride my bike the 10 each way to work).