Author Topic: My 600lb life - ZOMG!  (Read 12310 times)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
My 600lb life - ZOMG!
« on: July 08, 2020, 03:47:01 AM »
So I recently discovered My 600lb Life. Morbid curiosity got the better of me and I got addicted to it while watching at a fellow mustachian friends place.

Oh my fucking lord!

The anti-Mustachian waste is ginormous. People spending $30 a meal on takeaway, several times a day. Definitely no bikes, lots of big cars to haul people around. Lots of resources required to maintain these people’s lifestyles. The rubbish generated from all the takeaway containers and the volume of plastic bags does make me sad.

I love Dr Now. I think he’s brilliant. I do wonder how the surgeries are funded... the TV company perhaps? The people on the show are generally quite poor. If they’re all on disability payments they would not have health insurance...

It fascinates me seeing the inside of people’s houses too... you can gather a lot about people’s spending habits just by seeing what fills their house.

Does anyone else watch the show, even just for the lols?

happy

• Walrus Stache
Re: My 600lb life - ZOMG!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 04:02:48 AM »
I confess, I may have watched more than 1 episode.
I have the same questions as you: how do these folk afford their lifestyles, surgery, therapy, gym etc? And some of them have a daily carer, seemingly paid for  several hours or more a day.

Some of them do seem to turn their lives around which is good to see - beating an eating disorder like that is not easy.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 04:55:20 AM »
The drives to Houston! Breaking up a short trip into 4 days because they can’t spend more than an hour in the car without stopping for food!

It just boggles the mind.

cupcakery

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 05:49:24 AM »
I've seen a few episodes.  It leaves me feeling sad and confused.  So many questions.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 06:20:50 AM »
I imagine there's a lot of insurance: health insurance, liability insurance.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 07:20:15 AM »
Actually, they are mostly on Medicaid and Medicaid does pay for weight loss surgery. My mom has Medicaid and she had weigh loss surgery 2 years ago and never paid a dime. For Medicaid to pay for it you must have at least 2 co-morbidities that are linked to your weight (diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, etc), you have to demonstrate the ability to lose a set amount of weight on your own (20-30 lbs I think) and you have to work with a dietician for x weeks prior to scheduling the surgery to prove you can follow the rules around tracking your calories/protein/etc. Once you have checked all of the boxes Medicaid will pay for it. After the surgery if you lose a set % of body weight Medicaid will also pay for you to have skin removal surgery because the excess skin becomes a health hazard.

I’ve never watched that show but I have seen commercials for it and I unfortunately know quite a few people who could be on it. DH’s best friend’s whole family could be on it and I totally understand what you are saying about the waste and the traveling! They did a road trip to visit us last summer and we have done the drive in 1 day before, although we usually do it in 2. They said they were “driving straight through” so we assumed 1-1.5 days to get here. IT TOOK 4!! They had to stop seemingly every hour to stretch their legs and get food. They told us a story about stopping to get gas and seeing on an app that the city had a “famous” fried chicken place so they drove around to find it, got fried chicken, ate in the car, went in again to get MORE fried chicken, and by that time they needed to stretch their legs again. Craziness. While they were here with us we would all go out to dinner, then when leaving the restaurant they would walk to the one next door to get another whole meal to go. Their car was extremely slow because they had 1500+ lbs in the car (3 people) and they smelled :( I’ve never smelled such terrible BO and they were constantly doused in perfume to try and cover it up. The said thing is that they can’t see what they are doing to themselves :(

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 08:11:38 AM »
They had to stop seemingly every hour to stretch their legs and get food.

I think I remember reading that obesity is a risk factor for deep vein thrombosis, which is basically blood clots in the legs that are more likely to occur when people are driving or flying. It's a real thing, so when a person has other risk factors I fully support the idea of frequent breaks.

When the Venomous Spaz Beast and I are on the road, we stop every hour or two to empty her little doggie bladder and to fill up the gas tank if necessary. I too benefit from the opportunity to walk around a bit. I find that it adds about five to seven minutes to every hour spent on the road, plus whatever bathroom and packed-sandwich time I might also need. For a drive that's long to begin with-- say maybe eight or nine hours-- I've sometimes broken it into two days. The monster multi-state road trips we take seldom require more than five hours a day on the road because we like to stop and actually take in at least a museum or a monument of some kind. Any respectable state or national park usually requires an overnight stay to do it properly.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 10:06:30 AM »
They had to stop seemingly every hour to stretch their legs and get food.

I think I remember reading that obesity is a risk factor for deep vein thrombosis, which is basically blood clots in the legs that are more likely to occur when people are driving or flying. It's a real thing, so when a person has other risk factors I fully support the idea of frequent breaks.

When the Venomous Spaz Beast and I are on the road, we stop every hour or two to empty her little doggie bladder and to fill up the gas tank if necessary. I too benefit from the opportunity to walk around a bit. I find that it adds about five to seven minutes to every hour spent on the road, plus whatever bathroom and packed-sandwich time I might also need. For a drive that's long to begin with-- say maybe eight or nine hours-- I've sometimes broken it into two days. The monster multi-state road trips we take seldom require more than five hours a day on the road because we like to stop and actually take in at least a museum or a monument of some kind. Any respectable state or national park usually requires an overnight stay to do it properly.

Yup.  I have children and the little one's bladder means a 5-6 hour drive takes 8-10, which is why we never plan on driving more than 5-6 hours in a day.

I watched all of the episodes on Netflix a few years ago. It was sad, but also there were some success stories, which is nice.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 04:36:59 PM »
Actually, they are mostly on Medicaid and Medicaid does pay for weight loss surgery. My mom has Medicaid and she had weigh loss surgery 2 years ago and never paid a dime. For Medicaid to pay for it you must have at least 2 co-morbidities that are linked to your weight (diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, etc), you have to demonstrate the ability to lose a set amount of weight on your own (20-30 lbs I think) and you have to work with a dietician for x weeks prior to scheduling the surgery to prove you can follow the rules around tracking your calories/protein/etc. Once you have checked all of the boxes Medicaid will pay for it. After the surgery if you lose a set % of body weight Medicaid will also pay for you to have skin removal surgery because the excess skin becomes a health hazard.

I’ve never watched that show but I have seen commercials for it and I unfortunately know quite a few people who could be on it. DH’s best friend’s whole family could be on it and I totally understand what you are saying about the waste and the traveling! They did a road trip to visit us last summer and we have done the drive in 1 day before, although we usually do it in 2. They said they were “driving straight through” so we assumed 1-1.5 days to get here. IT TOOK 4!! They had to stop seemingly every hour to stretch their legs and get food. They told us a story about stopping to get gas and seeing on an app that the city had a “famous” fried chicken place so they drove around to find it, got fried chicken, ate in the car, went in again to get MORE fried chicken, and by that time they needed to stretch their legs again. Craziness. While they were here with us we would all go out to dinner, then when leaving the restaurant they would walk to the one next door to get another whole meal to go. Their car was extremely slow because they had 1500+ lbs in the car (3 people) and they smelled :( I’ve never smelled such terrible BO and they were constantly doused in perfume to try and cover it up. The said thing is that they can’t see what they are doing to themselves :(

Thankyou for explaining the funding side....the show makes a lot more sense now.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 04:58:13 PM »
Try Hoarders. The one I have on right now:

"That warehouse is an idiot's 401k, we have about $10k worth of stuff there."

At least she realized it was an idiot's plan...

The thing about 600lb life is they mention the mental health care, but they make that seem like an afterthought, rather than a crucial piece of the puzzle. Hoarders kind of harps on about how this is a mental health issue and tries to build a support system.

In either case, so much enabling going on...

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 05:04:06 PM »
Yup.  I have children and the little one's bladder means a 5-6 hour drive takes 8-10, which is why we never plan on driving more than 5-6 hours in a day.

When mine were little we used to go on holidays to stay at a relatives farm where it was free - it was a 5 hour drive no stops. Add in 2 little kids bladder stops and it was a full day trip. One trip I got requests every half hour...and started to figure they were just bored. After taking 4 hours to do 2 hours of the drive, I sat them down and explained the math and that if they kept this up it would take 10 hours instead of 5.  The penny dropped and there were no more requests for the rest of the trip! A miracle! The next trip we did the younger wanted to stop fairly soon after leaving home ( big sigh, I knew she'd gone very adequately before we left home). Then I heard the older one gently interrogating her in the back seat....and reminding her of what had happened last trip. The request evaporated... and it turned out that from there on I was the one with the weakest bladder needing to stop every 2-3 hours. And the kids took great delight in bagging me out.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 05:42:32 PM »
I'm mostly very sad for those people - both the 600 pound life and hoarders shows. All of the episodes I've watched, they're very damaged people. Abuse, depression, tragedy, etc. At least for the morbidly obese, it goes back to childhood. I've also become extremely angry with some of the family and SOs who are enablers, then cross into saboteurs. It's very sad that in order to get healthy they have to kick a SO to the curb.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 05:45:35 PM »
I've watched many episodes of that show, because I used to be a psychologist. There's always some trauma that sets it off, but it amazes me that that they wait until they're (almost) immobile to get help.  And that they just don't see an alternative to fast food, even on the trip to see the weight-loss doctor.  Stop at a grocery store deli, for crying out loud!  I had to laugh at Doctor Now's comment "So you're telling me you live in a no-salad zone?" even though the whole thing is so sad.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2020, 01:48:56 AM »
I'm mostly very sad for those people - both the 600 pound life and hoarders shows. All of the episodes I've watched, they're very damaged people. Abuse, depression, tragedy, etc. At least for the morbidly obese, it goes back to childhood. I've also become extremely angry with some of the family and SOs who are enablers, then cross into saboteurs. It's very sad that in order to get healthy they have to kick a SO to the curb.

Oh I agree, some one the stories are horrible, you wouldn’t wish that on any child. But people grow up and at some point you have to start owning some of the choices you make.

The ones that enable are worse. It’s basically a form of murdering someone. Almost the perfect crime...

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2020, 01:55:52 AM »
I had to laugh at Doctor Now's comment "So you're telling me you live in a no-salad zone?" even though the whole thing is so sad.

“If you followed the diet you should have lost 50 pound this munt.”

“I just grabbed whatever’s in reach.”

“You telling me it’s harder to walk to a salad on the kitchen bench than if it were a pizza?”

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2020, 01:59:07 AM »
I'm mostly very sad for those people - both the 600 pound life and hoarders shows. All of the episodes I've watched, they're very damaged people. Abuse, depression, tragedy, etc.
Yes. I don't think someone else's aimless suffering should be my entertainment. This show is simply the modern version of the circus freakshow. It's not respectful of people as human beings.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2020, 04:39:10 AM »
I saw 2 episodes last night, While I agree all reality TV shows are exploitative, and it used to offend me, I do feel episode one was well done. I felt for the poor souls. Am amazed at the bully’s at food mart making insulting comments about her, to her like children at school.
I also heard from a  Bariatric surgeon that they all have traumatic events that trigger the food addiction and it is usually childhood sexual abuse.

I may watch another episode  or two. I do feel shows like this and intervention do teach me a thing or two about addictions and about myself as well.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2020, 07:20:07 AM »
My wife and I feel the same about the Hoarders show. We're probably less disciplined than many about the objects in our lives, but the guys on that show, dang.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2020, 09:33:51 AM »
That is useful to know that Medicaid requires they lose a certain amount of weight and consult a dietitian.

I’ve watched every episode of my 600 pound life, and Dr. Nowzarden always asks that they lose “Tirty pounds in one munt” before he schedules them for weight loss surgery, So now I know the source for that standard requirement.

That is useful to know that they have consulted with a dietitian, because that piece is always left out of the TV show and I always wonder do these people not have any training in appropriate eating habits?

This show treats most subjects in a sympathetic way. I would say 6 out of 10 are presented sympathetically, 2-3 are presented somewhat as brats, and 1 out of 10 is a complete turd. Fan favorites for turd behavior are James K. who recently died, Scheena, Lisa F.,  Maja, Penny, and of course Stephen Assanti.

My favorite was Sean who weighed in one time at a over 1000 pounds.What a shitshow that was, poor guy.

I’ve read the TV show producers pay for fast food orgies to get those on camera.

I am amazed at the few, the very few, who get out of bed each day and go to work. At that weight it is a Herculean task.  Most are disabled and getting gubmnt money, I assume, with their caretakers paid thru gubmnt programs as well.

I have a crush on Dr. Paradise and I think Lola is a trip.

These are my confessions and you can judge the hell out of me for watching my 600 pound life TV show!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 09:47:51 AM by iris lily »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2020, 09:49:05 AM »
I'm mostly very sad for those people - both the 600 pound life and hoarders shows. All of the episodes I've watched, they're very damaged people. Abuse, depression, tragedy, etc.
Yes. I don't think someone else's aimless suffering should be my entertainment. This show is simply the modern version of the circus freakshow. It's not respectful of people as human beings.

I agree with this. Still, I watch it.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2020, 02:44:21 PM »

I agree with this. Still, I watch it.

I'm not perfect. I get a decent amount of entertainment out of it. That doesn't mean I can't feel sad for the subjects.

Of course, I also got a good half hour of entertainment watching the delivery of the new shingles today. There was a truck that had a crane on it!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2020, 03:14:42 PM »
That is useful to know that they have consulted with a dietitian, because that piece is always left out of the TV show and I always wonder do these people not have any training in appropriate eating habits?

That's kind of like asking whether the mainstream consumer sukka spendypants has had any training in appropriate budgeting and money management habits.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2020, 03:16:56 PM »

Agreed.  I've found I can't watch these types of shows as it starts to make me wonder what's wrong with myself.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2020, 05:24:06 PM »

Agreed.  I've found I can't watch these types of shows as it starts to make me wonder what's wrong with myself.
When I used to watch them, it was because I liked the happy ending.  And there were several.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2020, 05:37:09 PM »

When I used to watch them, it was because I liked the happy ending.  And there were several.

There are some astonishing success stories!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 05:53:40 PM by iris lily »

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2020, 10:34:08 PM »
Do they have a followup a few years later? Because that's the real happy ending. There's a reason there are no Biggest Loser Reunion Specials.

I've been watching Alone, the survival show. What I like is that the producers scout out the area first to make sure there are sufficient resources to keep people going for a while, and they stay in touch with them, and do regular medical checkups - and pull them out if they're in danger of permanent harm. There's always a chance of a sudden fall or bear attack, of course, you can't prevent all risk. But the producers genuinely care for the welfare of the participants. They want them to have challenge, an adventure, and to grow and learn something from the experience.

This is not the case with weight loss tv shows.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2020, 06:53:15 AM »
Do they have a followup a few years later? Because that's the real happy ending. There's a reason there are no Biggest Loser Reunion Specials.

I've been watching Alone, the survival show. What I like is that the producers scout out the area first to make sure there are sufficient resources to keep people going for a while, and they stay in touch with them, and do regular medical checkups - and pull them out if they're in danger of permanent harm. There's always a chance of a sudden fall or bear attack, of course, you can't prevent all risk. But the producers genuinely care for the welfare of the participants. They want them to have challenge, an adventure, and to grow and learn something from the experience.

Yes, there are actually follow up shows to  original My 600 Pound Life episodes. The follow up show series are called “where are they now?”
After such extreme surgery, several of these subjects have had significant success. Many of them are heavy but they’re not, well, 600 pounds.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2020, 07:39:03 AM »
In my mom’s case she wasn’t as big as the people on the show - she is 5’1” and weighed 275 lbs. After the surgery it almost seems like she went to the other extreme, and her new addiction is weight loss. She is down to 114 lbs and for the past year the doctors have been telling her that she needs to plateau but she won’t follow their instructions. She just doesn’t eat at all. She says she can’t force herself to eat, and she makes a big deal about not wanting to lose any more weight, but there is a lot of talking out of both sides of her mouth. You can tell how happy she is each time another pound comes off. She is supposed to eat a small snack or meal every 2 hours but she might eat one “meal” (that consists of 2 tbsp) per day. Whenever I tell her that she needs to eat more, and exercise, and make her body healthy, she just says she is too tired or in too much pain or she forgets to eat.

She still has the same habits as before the surgery - she spends all day in front of the computer or the tv, barely moving around. She doesn’t go for walks or exercise at all. The depression isn’t gone, so her real problems are still there. They even made her quit smoking as a requirement for surgery and then after surgery she started smoking again. I thought this was her chance to actually make her life better and get healthy, but as long as she refuses to get help for her mental problems she won’t get healthy.

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2020, 02:34:42 PM »
Economists I am sorry for your mom, my spouse always tells me surgery can’t cure mental illness and points to my hoarding parent. I do also think some fast food is cheap, I had a whopper with the plant based burger it was great tasting then I wanted and had another one the next week then I said, no you are getting addicted! I will tell you what ever was in that plant burger or on it, I was not hungry afterwards for like 12 hours. I believe both times I was so full I did not snack or anything.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2020, 03:22:25 AM »
Economists I am sorry for your mom, my spouse always tells me surgery can’t cure mental illness and points to my hoarding parent. I do also think some fast food is cheap, I had a whopper with the plant based burger it was great tasting then I wanted and had another one the next week then I said, no you are getting addicted! I will tell you what ever was in that plant burger or on it, I was not hungry afterwards for like 12 hours. I believe both times I was so full I did not snack or anything.

A steak will do that for me. I don't know how many calories are in a 350-400g steak but if I have one at lunch I usually will not have to eat another full meal until breakfast the following day.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2020, 09:28:13 AM »
i don't understand how 600lb people have money to eat. I can't imagine they work, but if they're on welfare how does that finance multiple take-out fastfood meals each day?

Enablers. At some point all of them seem to have a husband, wife, parent or kid who takes on their share of the housework, food acquisition, and meal runs. Much of the time the enabler is employed or otherwise able to pay for the extra munchies.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2020, 09:34:51 AM »
I've seen several episodes of it.  It's depressing, really.  How in the eff do they even afford that much food daily.

I do like Dr. Now though, and his no BS approach.  Usually the visits go like this:

Person: I have been eating much better, I don't know why I'm not losing weight
Dr. Now:  You have to be consuming a huge amount of calories to even maintain that weight
Person: but I swear I'm eating better
Dr. Now: but you're not

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2020, 02:14:08 PM »

Oh, there have been Biggest Loser  reunions though.  Maybe not TV specials but articles and such.  Most people gain the weight back, a significant number keep the weight off, and a subset usually gain "some" back - which is not unexpected when you start off that large.  Probably pretty similar to what happens to the general population.

Except I don't think Biggest Loser producers care about the contestants.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2020, 05:17:31 AM »

I don't think people would watch, or produce, a show that focusses on panning the lifestyles of cognitively disabled people or people with other genetic abnormalities. Focussing on the morbidly obese seems to be in the same category to me. You are getting off on watching someone with major and deep-seated problems. It's not something that I could ever enjoy or even feel comfortable watching.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2020, 07:44:15 AM »

I don't think people would watch, or produce, a show that focusses on panning the lifestyles of cognitively disabled people or people with other genetic abnormalities. Focussing on the morbidly obese seems to be in the same category to me. You are getting off on watching someone with major and deep-seated problems. It's not something that I could ever enjoy or even feel comfortable watching.

There are plenty of reality TV shows that do this already.  Shows where women prostitute themselves to 'get' a particular man.  Shows where people with mental problems related to hoarding things have others invade their homes and take away their things.  Shows where mentally deranged housewives argue and fight with one another over nothing.  All of this type of television is kinda unsavoury.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2020, 08:48:30 AM »

There are plenty of reality TV shows that do this already.  Shows where women prostitute themselves to 'get' a particular man.  Shows where people with mental problems related to hoarding things have others invade their homes and take away their things.  Shows where mentally deranged housewives argue and fight with one another over nothing.  All of this type of television is kinda unsavoury.
We got rid of our TV about 9 years ago, and I had sorta forgotten how much of the programming is worthless junk.  Thanks for reinforcing our decision to cut the cable!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2020, 08:50:54 AM »
We use weekend family gatherings to remind us that much of cable TV isn't for us. These gatherings invariably include some hours of group TV watching - and by that I mean watching what our elders like to watch. ;)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2020, 09:05:24 AM »
We use weekend family gatherings to remind us that much of cable TV isn't for us. These gatherings invariably include some hours of group TV watching - and by that I mean watching what our elders like to watch. ;)
Heh, whenever I'm on a business trip in a hotel, it only takes a couple minutes of TV watching before I turn it off in disgust.  The number of commercials is obnoxious!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2020, 09:37:59 AM »
Heh, whenever I'm on a business trip in a hotel, it only takes a couple minutes of TV watching before I turn it off in disgust.  The number of commercials is obnoxious!
Most shows are basically giant commercials. Between the product placement and the not-too-subtle advocacy for a particular standard of consumption, it's hard to see programming as anything but a form of advertising. The characters, plot, and other dramatic elements, when they exist at all, are basically an afterthought.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2020, 06:05:45 PM »
Ha, every time we are in a hotel, my kids complain "skip the commercials!"  Oh honey...

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2020, 10:56:00 PM »
I've only seen one episode.  I was friends with the girl's older sister growing up and remember some of the boys teasing her on the bus because she was chubby (while the older sister was, and still is, quite thin).  The older sister stood up and yelled at the boys about how she (little sister) might be chubby, but she was kind, smart, and beautiful, and a better person than they'd ever be.

It's sad to realize now that the poor girl was being molested at the time and had turned to food for comfort, and just how much psychological, and physical, damage was caused long-term.  She was one who regretted the surgery at the end of the show.  I wish her life had gone on a better path, she was a very sweet kid.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2020, 08:58:52 AM »

Absolutely! I've found that I rarely turn on the hotel TV anymore for this reason too. By the time I get to my room, I'm spent and need the quiet time. Introvert recharge!

Streaming a bit of "slow TV" or music via headphones makes for a good noise block.

It seems to be the norm in 2020 for other folks to just have the cable TV on morning to night, commercials and all.

The chubby sister story is so sad. Hope whoever was molesting her was both punished and given whatever psych help they needed to stop their evil.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 09:04:41 AM by Just Joe »

ColoAndy

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2020, 07:18:10 PM »
I have watched that show several times due to morbid curiosity.  Most of these people do not work yet spend $30+ dollars a day on fast food.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2020, 02:35:05 PM »

Just to be fair, there are also shows where men "prostitute" themselves to "get" a particular woman.  And shows--some of the most profitable out there--where men subject themselves to crippling injuries both physical and mental--to bang into one another and move a ball around.  I assume we consider those equally "unsavoury". 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2020, 04:07:48 PM »

Just to be fair, there are also shows where men "prostitute" themselves to "get" a particular woman.  And shows--some of the most profitable out there--where men subject themselves to crippling injuries both physical and mental--to bang into one another and move a ball around.  I assume we consider those equally "unsavoury".

*slow clap*

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2020, 06:40:07 PM »

*slow clap*
Think you'd appreciate this: https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2012-10-29
It's about the noble sport of "Head Brick."

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2020, 05:17:04 PM »

You missed the one with the two girls that share one body, which I find very interesting. They drive a car and each girl (the brain) controls the hand on her side of the body, how does that work? i.e. the coordination? I'm fascinated!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2020, 05:58:28 PM »

You missed the one with the two girls that share one body, which I find very interesting. They drive a car and each girl (the brain) controls the hand on her side of the body, how does that work? i.e. the coordination? I'm fascinated!

Each of them has conscious control of one side, but there's a huge part of movement that's unconscious and part of the deeper nervous system, which the girls share. So basically, each of them can decide what they want their side to do, but the underlying systems that actually turn that desire into movement are all coordinating to make the movements happen.

I used to poke brains for a living.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2020, 07:52:14 PM »

I do!

Even more, I find diverting our tax dollars to build and operate stadiums for said activities on the corporate profit level -- in addition to corrupting our educational institutions -- to be just as unsavoury.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2020, 07:52:30 PM »

Each of them has conscious control of one side, but there's a huge part of movement that's unconscious and part of the deeper nervous system, which the girls share.

OK, but this unconscious, deeper nervous system is located where?
So basically, each of them can decide what they want their side to do, but the underlying systems that actually turn that desire into movement are all coordinating to make the movements happen.
There have got to be times when the two brains have not made the same decision,
one is on the gas and the other is on the brake, sometimes in an emergency situation, you can either speed up or slow down. I think that one probably has a stronger personality or at least more stuborn and they more often take the lead and the other backs off.
I used to poke brains for a living.