Author Topic: Mustachian Confessions.....  (Read 27923 times)

viper155

• Bristles
Mustachian Confessions.....
« on: May 29, 2014, 09:11:14 AM »
As I'm rather new to all this Mustachian stuff but I am also inherently frugal, I often slip up in the quest of being more Mustachian. There are some things I just refuse to give up like the occasional cup of Starbucks. And sometimes, I'm a car clown. And sometimes I over tip......Lets hear some of your recent anti-mustachian faux pas!

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
Re: Mustachian Confessions.....
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 09:37:53 AM »
I guess someone has to break the ice...

A couple months ago, my wife and I bought financed (the shame) a sleep number bed.  $7000 for a freaking mattress (I suppose also the mechanical stuff that moves the head and feet up and down, but still)

Although; she was pregnant when we bought it, and has been sleeping better ever since we got it, so I'd say the jury is still out on whether this was an investment in quality or blatantly antimustachian.

At least it was one of those cute "no interest if paid in full by XX/XX/XX" promotions, although it is still stupid consumer debt.
^me still trying to justify it in my own head

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 10:01:43 AM »
I'm cured of the big stupid stuff....its the little ship that still needs work. Sleep well!

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 10:38:11 AM »
I buy a $1 scratcher every week...if I "win" a free ticket it usually just sits in my desk. Eventually I will go redeem them...hopefully.

GR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 10:41:51 AM »
Mine is car as well. My job requires me to travel between neighboring states and my company is too stingy to cover that for me. The work related travel means I have to pay out of my pocket for 2 or 3 night's stay in a hotel every week.

Though I pick the cheapest in town, it's still an expense I want to do away with. I mean, from the global mustachian perspective, that's not good but for me with some restrictions on my employment, I gotta do that to get my paycheck. Trade off.

I am far too frugal to spend thousands on things but some times these smaller things add up.

ms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 10:48:18 AM »
I cannot give up my Tim Horton's coffee.  :(  I try and then somehow I end up on the same pattern, same route to work... one day. Maybe.

Vorpal

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 10:51:04 AM »
. And sometimes I over tip.

Tipping well isn't antimustachian... Quite the opposite. Don't stop!

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 11:02:50 AM »
I have a fast food habit and buy it far too often, mostly due to laziness.

People like to comment on how McDonalds is so gross and Taco Bell isn't real food yada yada. I've seen the scare videos and the this and that.

What can I say, it just tastes delicious to me!

I've had 'gourmet' burgers and amazing authetic mexican food for instance, but I group that into a different category of food, and sometimes I just really want some chicken nuggets and a crunchwrap supreme!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 02:13:57 PM »
We've been eating out way too much the last few weeks. Working on fixing that starting with tonight; I cooked early and we're eating now because I have a 5:30 meeting.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 09:43:10 PM »
I love the Coffee House...by that I mean the Sirius radio station called the Coffee House. So yes, I pay for a Sirius subscription. The habit got started before my MMM days.

However, the Sirius radio habit is tied to my Clown Car Commute - also pre-MMM established habit. If I am having this commute, I am having my Coffee House. It makes the drive more enjoyable.

I better quit this thread before I give too much more away and lose my Mustachian credentials...

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 10:17:34 PM »
Housecleaner.  Two hours per week, every week.

We rationalize justify the expense by working on the expensive projects that wouldn't be a priority otherwise... heavy yardwork, attic cleaning, painting, other home improvement projects.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 10:18:51 PM »

A couple months ago, my wife and I bought financed (the shame) a sleep number bed.  $7000 for a freaking mattress (I suppose also the mechanical stuff that moves the head and feet up and down, but still)

Although; she was pregnant when we bought it, and has been sleeping better ever since we got it, so I'd say the jury is still out on whether this was an investment in quality or blatantly antimustachian.

At least it was one of those cute "no interest if paid in full by XX/XX/XX" promotions, although it is still stupid consumer debt.

Whaaaa? I imagined these being expensive but I was thinking more like $1-2K. $7K blows my mind. That is simply ludicrous. I slept on one of those for a few days visiting a relative. Not worth that kind of cash IMO. To each their own. Sorry to call you out odput, I'm certainly not going to win an award for mustachian of the year, just found this shocking.

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 05:56:33 AM »
/snip
Sorry to call you out odput

The facepunch is well deserved...

There are several different tiers of mattresses they offer, and they do start around $1k, but I think around $15k was the "top of the line"

Also the hydraulics for moving the head and feet up and down are not cheap...I think that added another $1500 or so

jprince7827

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 06:37:55 AM »
Mine's probably the worst:

1. 100$/week dating fund - We don't always use it, but often my gf and I go get a nice 40-50$ dinner and see a movie, another 20$. Some weekends we'll just make dinner and use Netflix, but other weekends we just want to get out and do things around other people.

2. 2 hours of professional apartment cleaning every 2 weeks(160$/mo). I really think this is worth the money, and intend to keep doing it indefinitely. Not having to clean has been amazing.

3. I eat out for lunch once per week at about 10$/pop.

Still, 50% savings rate. I make good money. Not justifying it, just saying I'll still retire at some point despite being an idiot. :) (That time is age 35.)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 07:02:13 AM »
I recently bought a hand-made sofa for over $1,000. It's almost more than what I paid for my car.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 07:20:16 AM »
I am in two weddings this year (a month apart) that are 7-8 states away. Flights, dresses, wedding gifts, the works. I have been budgeting for it for almost a year and we will be perfectly fine, but geez. If I didn't love these two girls so much (sister and bff), there's no way I would swing it. Looking forward to next year when DH and I can take a vacation that is all about US!

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2014, 07:42:00 AM »
I dont really live a mustachian life at all, but the low cost of living helps a lot. I dont have any crazy spending, but there is a lot that I could change. i kind of like it like this though. I know if my paychecks stop coming or my hours get cut in half I can make some changes and be okay. I eat a McDonalds or grab a pizza at least once a month as well as buying an energy drink everyday ( it keeps me from killing the children)

sisca

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2014, 09:53:38 AM »
I recently bought a hand-made sofa for over $1,000. It's almost more than what I paid for my car.

Buying good quality stuff doesn't have to be anti-mustachian, in my eyes.
Selling that sofa in a month and then buying another one, on the other hand...

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 10:07:57 AM »

Right, that's why we went with that one (and it's even made locally!), if it lasts us less than 15 years I won't be happy. We're still super protective of the thing, I don't think I've ever paid so much attention to where I park my lazy bum before.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 10:27:45 AM »
I won't even go into the horse thing, but I just paid $250 for a cooler.  It's BIFL, but.  It's.  A.  Cooler.

MrsSmitty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2014, 11:05:52 AM »
I'm a week away from my very VERY anti-mustachian wedding/honeymoon and I don't even care. We've managed to increase our net worth significantly while paying for this wedding in cash, we'll have tons of savings left over after (not even counting gifts we may get), and we have no debt other than our mortgage which we've continued to pay extra on every month. I should feel guilty for how much everything costs, but I just don't.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2014, 11:19:19 AM »
I love the Coffee House...by that I mean the Sirius radio station called the Coffee House. So yes, I pay for a Sirius subscription. The habit got started before my MMM days.

However, the Sirius radio habit is tied to my Clown Car Commute - also pre-MMM established habit. If I am having this commute, I am having my Coffee House. It makes the drive more enjoyable.

I better quit this thread before I give too much more away and lose my Mustachian credentials...

Hubby has this habit as well, since he works out of his car and hates commercials.  He has a media player, but he likes what he likes, and Sirius suits his needs.  However, I do have a tip for you.  Stop the auto-pay on your account if you have it.  When you subscription is up, call and tell them that you can't afford it.  The first person may or may not help you, but continue w/the cancellation line until they send you to the retention department.  There you will be offered some good deals, but you need to do math.  Last week, hubby called and got one year for $110 all in, or $40 for 6 months.  Guess which one he picked?

homeymomma

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 11:36:20 AM »
We don't have any terribly un-mustachian habit at the moment, except the occasional Starbucks run in the evenings and overspending on groceries. However, I definitely have very un- mustachian aspirations. I want a big house someday, I want a house cleaner, I want an SUV (the horror!). We don't have these things more out of necessity and accurate prioritization right now (we have babies that I stay home with, we want to buy a house, we live in a high COL area). But to be perfectly honest, I do yearn for some lifestyle inflation sometimes. Hopefully living cheaply out of necessity long enough will curb some of these cravings, but I honestly don't know when I'll feel like we have "enough."
We're not on track to retire much before 60 right now, so I have a feeling most of these things will stay out of reach permanently, but I'm just here admitting that I still want them sometimes, even though I know they are not financially wise things.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2014, 01:12:33 PM »
Maybe I have a different working definition of mustachian vs. anti (in that, if the utility derived from the money spent is higher {or maximized or at least higher than most substitutes} than spending/saving it elsewhere, then it's not anti-mustachian) but I must confess I have accrued late fees at the library this year and my wife got a speeding ticket last year.  Avoidable, result of laziness, did nothing to heighten an experience=epitome of antimustachianism IMO.

If presented with 2 options, I would much rather pay $50 for an amazing meal out than I would $1.40 because I didn't renew my books and DVD in time.  So vexing!

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2014, 05:10:31 PM »
I have a dodge ram 1500 4x4 and it's not going anywhere. It's a 2001 with 208k miles. Still in excellent shape. I don't "need" a full sized pickup anymore. However the fact that it sits 90% of the time makes me not feel so bad. When it dies I will probably replace it with a Tacoma. Hey a guy still has to get to his hunting and fishing spots.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2014, 10:16:10 PM »
Hubby has this habit as well, since he works out of his car and hates commercials.  He has a media player, but he likes what he likes, and Sirius suits his needs.  However, I do have a tip for you.  Stop the auto-pay on your account if you have it.  When you subscription is up, call and tell them that you can't afford it.  The first person may or may not help you, but continue w/the cancellation line until they send you to the retention department.  There you will be offered some good deals, but you need to do math.  Last week, hubby called and got one year for $110 all in, or $40 for 6 months.  Guess which one he picked?

Thanks for the tip!

I signed up for their "free for a month" access via an app on my phone for when I went on vacation recently. After the month was over, I received a bunch of emails from them to try to get me to pay for that service. I don't think it's much but I know I won't use it on my phone while at home.

I think I signed up for a two year subscription the last time and think I'm approaching the end of the period. I will try to negotiate. Thanks.

Although I might be FIRE by then (fingers crossed) and then won't have a clown car commute and won't have a need for Sirius...

« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 10:17:57 PM by Daisy »

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 11:41:22 AM »
We bought a beautiful and unique vintage Mid Modern couch and it needed a complete overhaul in both the upholstery and the cushions. By the time we were done we spent about $1200 on that but hey, we sit on it every day.

I can be a bit naughty about fast food. I'm bad about disobeying the don't go grocery shopping hungry rule and I'll swing through McDonald's and avail myself of the dollar menu.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2014, 08:01:40 AM »
my first investment ever was sirius when i was in my teens. It was a tip from my grandpa. I used all the money I (my parents forced me to save it) had been saving from my first job and bought a few thousand. I sold it a few years later for a lot, I think i doubled my money. I spent it all on partying in college. I wish I wouldn't have sent it all, but it was a pretty fun. I hadnt turned to a frugal life yet so does that count as a confession?

The Happy Philosopher

• Bristles
    • thehappyphilosopher
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 08:06:51 AM »

You spend 1/3 of your life sleeping. Good sleep is central to a good life. Sleep well (haha) knowing this was not anti-mustachian!

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 08:19:57 AM »

Right, that's why we went with that one (and it's even made locally!), if it lasts us less than 15 years I won't be happy. We're still super protective of the thing, I don't think I've ever paid so much attention to where I park my lazy bum before.

I would feel much better about buying a $1000 locally hand-made sofa than I do about the $500 couch I bought from Ashley furniture a few years ago.

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 08:20:51 AM »
I must confess I have accrued late fees at the library this year

I am guilty of library late fees as well.  I am getting much better.  Our library charges you $2 per hold item that you don't pick up within 5 days.  Sometimes I forget to cancel the holds when we're going to be away or I won't have time to go pick it up.  My husband used to joke that I was singlehandedly financing the library. 

homeymomma

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2014, 08:23:18 AM »

I am guilty of library late fees as well.  I am getting much better.  Our library charges you $2 per hold item that you don't pick up within 5 days.  Sometimes I forget to cancel the holds when we're going to be away or I won't have time to go pick it up.  My husband used to joke that I was singlehandedly financing the library.

There are worse operations to finance!:)

innkeeper77

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 09:08:36 AM »
We just leased an apartment that was $4000 more per year than the cheapest (and closest to work!) option, leaving a 5 mile commute instead of half a mile. However, the cheapest option wasn't very appealing, and a much nicer place to live seemed worth it. (Especially since the entryway doesn't smell like smoke) - but the worst part is that it was $2000 more then the mid-range option. (With an identical length but less nice commute)

My wife and I went back and forth on this, both wanting to save money, and also to live in the nicer place. Hopefully the nicer area, apartment, commute (more green areas, less urban sprawl) and amenities are worth it for us. At least we agreed that since we were doing this we would have to double down on other expenses!

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 12:40:53 PM »
I spend $100-$200 on a music collection and other music-related activities, such as going to concerts. Some months it's less, some it's more, and I do stick to a budget on Mint in the long run, but there's no doubt that I spend far more on music than I need to.

The good news is that a lot of my music has appreciated by quite a lot. For example, I bought a cassette some months back for $200 because I snagged it the moment it came onto the market, but I'm pretty sure I could sell it for $300+ within a couple of years.

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 01:08:20 PM »

Ha ha.  True enough.  I would always tell him that at least I was "donating" to a good cause.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2014, 01:18:58 PM »

Ha ha.  True enough.  I would always tell him that at least I was "donating" to a good cause.

Guilty - just realized that I needed to return my book yesterday but from that perspective I feel better about the $0.30.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2014, 01:28:57 PM »
I have not succumbed to it yet, but I want a $2,000 bicycle. And I already have two in Calgary, and one in Yellowknife. I try to avoid bike shops, because any self-respecting bike salesperson could easily make me fork $2,000 if they knew my weakness. I am afraid the spender buried in me is winning over my cheapskate side. And here I am, always telling biking newbies to get a used bike on Kijiji or Craiglist for a $100.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2014, 09:05:26 PM »
"Forgive me father for I have sinned. It has been 27 years since my last confession..." Ok, now that I got that catholic guilt thing out of the way (and it really has been 27 years since my last, and first confession), here goes:

Major FACEPUNCH I just discovered today. For the first time ever, I might have to pay some credit card interest. I pay my credit card through my bank's online bill pay. It automatically fills in the minimum payment (which is total bullshit but whatever) so I have to manually change it to the actual total due. Rather than filling in the current month total, I accidentally filled in last month's payment. Our spending was up a couple hundred in May, so I underpaid the full balance due.

When I realized this I immediately sent in a payment to cover the difference plus $150 to make sure I covered all fees and then some, but I feel like an ass. I should have double checked before the payment processed, but hopefully I've learned my lesson and won't make that mistake again.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2014, 10:42:44 PM »
Call your credit card and ask them to remove the fee. Explain it was a mistake and won't happen again. It has worked for me the few times I have messed up our cc payments in the past. They have flexibility and should do it.  Good luck!

annann

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2014, 06:52:29 AM »
Agreed.  I once forgot to pay a CC and didn't remember until two days after it was due.  I called immediately so I could give them my checking account information so they could pull the money immediately.  I began my apologizing profusely.  The lady on the line said she would remove my late fee and my interest as I had never paid late before.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2014, 01:04:31 PM »

Ditto for me, Daisy -- except Outlaw Country is my Clown Car Commute companion (along with occasional Backspin XL, First Wave, Margaritaville, The Joint, E-Street Radio -- oh hell, I love my Sirius/XM!).

Lian

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2014, 12:44:41 PM »
Clothes.  The justification - major weight change and a new job (wardrobe of old yoga pants & tees not office appropriate). The intent - very small, minimalist wardrobe of good quality classic items bought at steep discounts (new or used) to be worn until they wear out. The result - stuffed closet of Really Good Deals that will probably end up at Goodwill by next year.  I succumbed to a consumerist frenzy that took me back to pre-mustachian days. I think I'm done now.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2014, 03:33:05 PM »
I gave up Sirius as one of my "low-hanging fruit" things - something I could pretty easily give up since I can stream Pandora through my car speakers.

But when I had it, I re-upped in six-month increments, and I just wouldn't do it unless they made it $4 a month. They'd balk, and I'd explain that I'd just finished paying that price and if they could do it once, they could do it again. They'd balk, and I'd tell them to cancel the service. They'd offer rates of $8/mo, or whatever, and I'd just keep repeating that if they'd managed to provide the service for $4/mo before, they could do it again. Eventually, they'd put me on hold (probably to swear without me hearing), then would come back a few minutes later and lo and behold, they'd gotten "approval" for the $4/mo rate. It always ended up a little more with taxes and fees, but at least the base was low.

On topic... I spent $150 yesterday to get two pieces of my daughter's art custom-framed at AC Moore. And that was with "62% off". What a racket! Still, I know I will be glad we protected the art, and it will be displayed and not wrinkled and bent in a corner somewhere.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2014, 03:41:22 PM »

Aren't all sofas hand made?  Does someone think there are sofa-building robots out there?

I'm all for paying people well for quality craftsmanship, but "hand-made" isn't really a selling point by itself.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2014, 03:51:48 PM »
The sleep number bed has a 20 year warranty which slowly decreases as the bed ages. My chiropractor has one and we ended up buying one in 2005. Paid $3,000 and it was the best $ we ever spent!  Still sleeping very comfortably. Most beds need to be replaced after 10 years especially if you have any back issues.  I do not see the expensive bed as a mistake.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2014, 03:56:31 PM »

Aren't all sofas hand made?  Does someone think there are sofa-building robots out there?

I'm all for paying people well for quality craftsmanship, but "hand-made" isn't really a selling point by itself.
I didn't even think about that, to be honest I have no idea how much you can automate on a sofa assembly line. So a more accurate description would be "made in one of the few remaining furniture factories in western NC that hasn't yet been decimated by cheaply made imported goods". It would be interesting to see how much of the labor has been automated there, as opposed to say, Ikea.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2014, 01:31:58 PM »
The sleep number bed has a 20 year warranty which slowly decreases as the bed ages. My chiropractor has one and we ended up buying one in 2005. Paid $3,000 and it was the best $ we ever spent!  Still sleeping very comfortably. Most beds need to be replaced after 10 years especially if you have any back issues.  I do not see the expensive bed as a mistake.

+1

Getting a sleep number cured my back pain in about 2 days. I don't regret buying one at all.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2014, 09:13:31 PM »

Ditto for me, Daisy -- except Outlaw Country is my Clown Car Commute companion (along with occasional Backspin XL, First Wave, Margaritaville, The Joint, E-Street Radio -- oh hell, I love my Sirius/XM!).

I love First Wave too! The music of my youth...

Let's see what I do when my subscription runs out later this year. I saw they have a music-only option now that is $9.99/month. Really, this only makes sense to keep around if I am in my car a lot.

I saw someone above mentioned Pandora and I haven't checked into it. Do you run it mostly through WiFi or would you need a super duper data plan to listen to it on-the-run in your car?

surfhb

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2014, 12:08:30 AM »
I pay $170 a month for Pilates classes (Lagree Pilates to be exact).   At least I'm spending it on healthy living. 

Btw.....Pilates is the greatest workout ever!!   Being one of the few men, I'm surrounded by hot Milfs every morning. :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 12:13:48 AM by surfhb »

Strawberrykiwi75

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2014, 02:24:58 AM »
I eat out several times a week. I have a gym membership. I buy nice clothes and furniture. I buy books and don't go to the library.

And I STILL have an approximate savings rate of 60%. So, whatever. These are all anti-mustichian but they give me a better quality of life. I save on lots of other things most people would think nothing of spending half their paycheck