Author Topic: Mustache icon subverted by marketing industry!  (Read 2523 times)

ScroogeMcstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Mustache icon subverted by marketing industry!
« on: May 20, 2014, 08:13:53 PM »
Sorry for the blurry pic. I snapped it just as my two year old was yanking me toward the escalator.

ScroogeMcstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Mustache icon subverted by marketing industry!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 08:15:32 PM »
The unreadable caption says "Great gifts start here."

Vorpal

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 07:40:23 AM »
The handlebar mustache has been in vogue for a while now, usually associated with "bohemian manliness" but occasionally used in connection with saving money. In fact, the last time I was in Target they were selling a piggy bank with a mustache that was emblazoned with the phrase "Stache My Cash." Pretty cool! I almost bought it, but then my badassity kicked in and I resisted since I didn't actually need it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=target+stache+my+cash+piggy+bank&client=firefox-a&hs=Skn&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=xKt8U_zhGsKNqAaAnoKQDA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=792&bih=190

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 08:16:26 AM »
The handlebar mustache has been in vogue for a while now

Indeed, multiple years.  MMM, starting in 2011, caught the beginning of the wave, but it was at least a year or two before that that it started getting big. 

It just gotten huge in 2013, I see Mustache things all over the place.

For example, I own a bunch of chip clips for potato chip bags in the shape of mustaches because that was all the dollar store had.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!