Author Topic: Must. Go. Shopping. At any cost!  (Read 3726 times)

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
Must. Go. Shopping. At any cost!
« on: February 17, 2015, 05:10:39 PM »
I live in the south where we've been hit with a crippling ice storm this week. The governor has declared state of emergency and is asking everyone to stay home except essential personnel. And yet... The malls opened today. Really? You're making those poor employees go out into the mess, risking their lives for shopping? Worse, the news crew was in the mall this evening and it was packed. People just cannot stay home.

This happens every time we have a storm. Yes, this is the south and we're not equipped to deal with snow and ice. But people can't even stay home for a day or two. And I know they've got plenty to do in their big ass houses filled to the brim with every gadget and gizmo imaginable. Yet they must go to the malls! Or the movies! Or the restaurants! And then they complain that they never have any down time, or time to do chores, etc. Maybe if you used your snow days better?

I'm never sure to be angry at the idiocy, or just laugh at it. Well, it's funny until someone gets killed on the highway because someone just had to get to Abercrombie.

Me? I'm content to stay home for a week or more and read, write, catch up on projects, etc. Bring it on.

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
Re: Must. Go. Shopping. At any cost!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 08:07:50 AM »
Snow packed in here.  Yesterday someone called to buy one of husband's old cell phones off of Craigslist.  They made arrangements to meet 15 minutes away.  My response, "Just so I'm clear - How much money are you putting your life in peril for?"  $20.  "Wow, you don't value yourself very highly do you?  Let the guy come here if he wants it that badly."

He went anyway and arrived back home safely, but really - for $20??????? 

Nothing out there that I need that badly.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 04:24:08 AM »
We are on the Queensland coast, where Cyclone Marcia (these names, ehh) is causing local flash flooding and torrential rain. Roads are a mess, but I drove past the shops on the way home and they are packed! The news says that people are stripping the grocery shelves- I never understand this- how do you not have two-three days worth of food in your house? Is running out of your favourite cereal really that devastating? we live in a super-urban area where there is no chance of being cut off from civilisation for more than 12 hours.

Sunnymo

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 04:26:27 PM »
We are on the Queensland coast, where Cyclone Marcia (these names, ehh) is causing local flash flooding and torrential rain. Roads are a mess, but I drove past the shops on the way home and they are packed! The news says that people are stripping the grocery shelves- I never understand this- how do you not have two-three days worth of food in your house? Is running out of your favourite cereal really that devastating? we live in a super-urban area where there is no chance of being cut off from civilisation for more than 12 hours.

Another Qld'er here (Sunshine Coast). I was out briefly yesterday to run some errands; fuel up the car etc. Went to the local mall yo collect mail and get two or three grocery items that I was out of and there were cars everywhere. Over the past 3 years there have been a series of extreme weather events and major floods but people still do not seem to be aware of the risks and have a plan in place. Over the summer there have been campaigns about having a disaster plan, a survival kit and not putting yourself or others at risk.

The other risk with all the flooding is getting cars stranded in flood waters. The message that is everywhere is 'if is flooded forget it' but on the news last night yet again there was vision of stranded cars and emergency services having to place themselves in danger to rescue some idiot who then says 'I guess I should not have done that'.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 04:51:04 PM »
But people can't even stay home for a day or two. And I know they've got plenty to do in their big ass houses filled to the brim with every gadget and gizmo imaginable.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 04:54:20 PM »
I used to part-time at a frozen yogurt place.  We once had over 20 customers in my 4-ish hour shift, at night, during a blizzard.

WTF is wrong with people?