Author Topic: Must get free stuff  (Read 3992 times)

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
Must get free stuff
« on: December 02, 2015, 10:41:52 AM »
New Krispy Kreme opened in Glasgow this weekend and apparently people queued 8 hours for free donut and coffee, because they're worth it!

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/14117350.Queues_form_outside_Krispy_Kreme_s_Glasgow_store_EIGHT_HOURS_ahead_of_official_opening/
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 10:44:04 AM by frugledoc »

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Must get free stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 12:35:30 PM »
KK re-entered the Houston market last month and people began line camping the new stores nearly 24 hours before opening. I don't get it either. I guess people do it for bragging rights.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 01:19:22 PM »
I guess people do it for bragging rights.

I've noticed that if my friends are doing something, I likely will be interested in joining in, even if it isn't anything that I would normally do. This can be used in your favor. I lead a group that packs food for children in the third-world once a month, we used to meet on Saturday afternoons but found that our attendance more than doubled by moving it to Friday night and inviting a few people that would bring their friends with. Their friends wouldn't normally be packing food because it isn't something they think of doing on a Friday night, but seem to enjoy it and now come when they can (with or without the original friend).

LifeAtTheLodgeHouse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 04:59:24 PM »
Jeez. I'm Glaswegian and this does not surprise me.

Edinburgh has a Krispy Kreme and is approx 55 miles away - with a nice flat cycle path the whole way. A decent cyclist could cycle to Edinburgh, get a doughnut and coffee and then cycle back in under 8 hours.

You'd need to pay for that doughnut and coffee - the big flaw in my plan - but at least you would have worked off those calories :)

However, I queued for Take That tickets (moment to judge) once for hours with my mum and sister along with groups of strangers and we all had such a laugh and carry on whilst we waited for hours! People took turns at going off and getting us food and coffees etc. I'm deadly serious when I say it was a great day! So not all queuing can be bad! Maybe they were having a laugh :D

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 08:02:55 AM »
The lure of Krispy Kreme is strong. If you think waiting 8 hours for a free donut is dumb, how about risking your job over a late night donut run in a police helicopter?

http://www.chron.com/news/bizarre/article/Cop-pilot-land-helicopter-to-get-doughnuts-2056414.php

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 10:17:47 AM »
The lure of Krispy Kreme is strong. If you think waiting 8 hours for a free donut is dumb, how about risking your job over a late night donut run in a police helicopter?

http://www.chron.com/news/bizarre/article/Cop-pilot-land-helicopter-to-get-doughnuts-2056414.php

Every time I think my city has recovered its dignity and has the potential to be something besides an ongoing TV gag in "Cops" or "Breaking Bad", someone brings that up. Or the Department of Justice investigation.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 01:39:14 PM »

Every time I think my city has recovered its dignity and has the potential to be something besides an ongoing TV gag in "Cops" or "Breaking Bad", someone brings that up. Or the Department of Justice investigation.

I got a laugh out of the police chopper stopping for donuts. It fits the cop stereotype perfectly, sounds absurd, and is obviously a bad idea. It's something that sounds like it should be in the epic FU money story thread.

I agree that ABQ could have a better reputation. It used to be hot air balloons and chile that people talked about when they found out where I live. Now it's all Breaking Bad. It was a really good show so I kinda get it, but there's so much more to Albuquerque.