Author Topic: Movies with money problems  (Read 19860 times)

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
Movies with money problems
« on: January 06, 2014, 12:44:59 PM »
I already started a topic on Christmas Vacation and how the movie was hard to watch because of the money problems of the main character. I've started noticing a similar theme ("oh ha ha ha, lets all laugh at the poor upper middle class family that can't make their payments! Ha Ha Ha...) in all sorts of movies. Its usually used as a comedic device but the longer I live a mustacian life, the less funny or entertaining it becomes.

For instance, I was recently watching "This is 40" and there is a family with 2 kids and what must be a 4000+ sqft house, each kid has an ipad and a laptop, and they have multiple flat screens. The mom owns a clothing store that has revenue (not profit) of ~$12k/month (with 2 employees) and the dad is trying to start a record label and sucking at it. All the while they are giving around $80k over a few years to one of the in-laws. They have huge expenses and a very moderate income and its presented as "Look at the problems of being 40 and upper middle class, ha ha ha!"

It hurts to watch movies like this from a mustachian point of view. Its like watching a show about hoarders made for hoarders. "See, their life is so hard but they are so similar to you so you can relate to their problems. Now don't change anything about your life because see, everything worked out for them in the end."

Do other people here have the same trouble watching movies like this?

scarab007

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Movies with money problems
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 12:51:15 PM »
honestly, no.  Funny movie to watch and never analyzed it that much.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 01:01:32 PM »
Confessions of a Shopaholic....watched because I was on a plane for 14 hours. She did eventually get her finances in order, but hooooeeey did they spend a lot of time on the spending part, and it actually hurt me to see. I kept wondering if people would watch it and feel like they could identify with the main character and her desire to buy things in order to feel good....and then not go any further and actually make a change.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 01:03:56 PM »
I was watching "Saved" last night which has some of this. The antagonist is a teenager who is obviously extremely irresponsible with money and drives a giant van (a cousin model of my own!) for her handicapped brother but longs for a luxury car. I have a hard time understanding this character, though I know it's an attitude I see in others. At the end of this movie things don't turn out well for her, and her lack of financial discipline plays a role in her downfall.

I, too, analyze movies way too much. My hobby is watching a movie with IMDB open so I can read through the "goofs" section and see what parts of a movie are factually incorrect. I learn a lot about obscure things that way.

Posthumane

• Bristles
    • Getting Around Canada
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 02:24:35 PM »
I get bothered by movies that way as well, though I usually just roll my eyes at it. It kind of gives you an insight into the mindset of what is considered to be a typical movie-goer, since these characters are supposed to be relateable by the audience. The movie mentioned by the OP, This is 40, struck a chord with me not strictly because of their overconsumption (since that's present in most movies about middle class life) but their blatant denial of responsibility. In fact in one part of the movie the main couple has a big argument but then makes up by saying something along the lines of "You know what? none of this is our fault. It's everybody else who is judging us, screwing us over, etc."

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »
Fans of Your Money or Your Life often point out that the book is on the seat of Annette Bening's car in American Beauty.

wow! Never noticed that. I love that movie.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 04:07:31 PM »
Not hard to watch at all because I love these movies: The Money Pit, with Tom Hanks and Overboard, with Goldie Hawn!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 06:20:45 PM »
Another issue I have is where it clearly makes no sense that characters in TV/movies have the jobs and the material possessions they do... For example, I read some blog post about how the pretty female teacher on Glee would have to spend twice as much as a teacher's salary in that state just to have the wardrobe she wore in each episode. The lack of logic bothers me far too much when characters have low paying jobs, huge houses and designer threads. Or apparently no jobs at all, but no end of money to spend on 'it' products.

I really appreciated it in Buffy when some of the characters experienced financial difficulties (season five? six? onwards) and the show dealt with it in a semi-realistic fashion, with characters making comments about how they had to pay bills and work minimum wage jobs just to survive.

brandino29

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 06:22:44 PM »
At least with "This is 40" I felt that was a very intentional point of the movie, that the typical American family in the McMansion with all the toys is buried in debt and that's the reason their life sucks.  I think it did a good job painting a picture of the stress in life and tension in a relationship when you have money problems and in no way glamorized buying shit you can't afford.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 11:06:35 PM »
At least with "This is 40" I felt that was a very intentional point of the movie, that the typical American family in the McMansion with all the toys is buried in debt and that's the reason their life sucks.  I think it did a good job painting a picture of the stress in life and tension in a relationship when you have money problems and in no way glamorized buying shit you can't afford.

Same here.  I thought it had a mustachian message.  I'm just lucky watching those movie characters overspend didn't make me violently ill!

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 08:23:51 AM »
Another issue I have is where it clearly makes no sense that characters in TV/movies have the jobs and the material possessions they dosurvive.

THIS DRIVES ME CRAZY. Especially how tv characters who live in new york (HI SEX AND THE CITY) have gigantic apartments and take cabs everywhere, but they all work at magazines or some other low paying creative job. It especially bothers me because I feel like the financially irresponsible character is often a sort of woman-child archetype who's just so cute and quirky because "AWWW" she can't get her life together without a man!!!! I mean how can she save money when SHOES?!!?!??! LOL, XOXOXOXO, <3 <3 <3

Ugh, makes me wanna barf.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 09:23:06 AM »
Another issue I have is where it clearly makes no sense that characters in TV/movies have the jobs and the material possessions they do... For example, I read some blog post about how the pretty female teacher on Glee would have to spend twice as much as a teacher's salary in that state just to have the wardrobe she wore in each episode. The lack of logic bothers me far too much when characters have low paying jobs, huge houses and designer threads. Or apparently no jobs at all, but no end of money to spend on 'it' products.

I really appreciated it in Buffy when some of the characters experienced financial difficulties (season five? six? onwards) and the show dealt with it in a semi-realistic fashion, with characters making comments about how they had to pay bills and work minimum wage jobs just to survive.

This drives me NUTS! I actually noticed it last night in a positive sense while watching Don Jon, when he brings his girlfriend home to meet his family (or really any scene at his parents' house), the kitchen looks like it hasn't been remodeled since 1978. You know, how most people's middle-class or lower-middle-class relatives' homes ACTUALLY LOOK.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 06:29:14 PM »
Another issue I have is where it clearly makes no sense that characters in TV/movies have the jobs and the material possessions they dosurvive.

THIS DRIVES ME CRAZY. Especially how tv characters who live in new york (HI SEX AND THE CITY) have gigantic apartments and take cabs everywhere, but they all work at magazines or some other low paying creative job. It especially bothers me because I feel like the financially irresponsible character is often a sort of woman-child archetype who's just so cute and quirky because "AWWW" she can't get her life together without a man!!!! I mean how can she save money when SHOES?!!?!??! LOL, XOXOXOXO, <3 <3 <3

Ugh, makes me wanna barf.

Yeah, isn't the main character in Sex and the City a writer?? So she should be working some boring unfulfilling office job as well AND still scrimping to get by if it was going to be realistic.

This drives me NUTS! I actually noticed it last night in a positive sense while watching Don Jon, when he brings his girlfriend home to meet his family (or really any scene at his parents' house), the kitchen looks like it hasn't been remodeled since 1978. You know, how most people's middle-class or lower-middle-class relatives' homes ACTUALLY LOOK.

Sometimes I want to write to the filmmakers and thank them for assuming that I'm not a complete idiot, and making the houses/material possessions realistic instead of way over the top.

I worry, too, than unrealistic impressions of what one should be able to afford are contributing to debt and financial strife. I think TV shows and movies are probably a big part of this for the average person.

Thank god I found MMM.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 08:00:29 PM »
Especially how tv characters who live in new york (HI SEX AND THE CITY) have gigantic apartments and take cabs everywhere, but they all work at magazines or some other low paying creative job.

There was an article posted here last year about a real person living this life.  She worked some low paying creative job (in publishing, I think) in Manhattan but had a swanky apartment and fancy clothes.  Her secret?  Her dad had died in some kind of accident and the insurance payment set up a trust fund for her. 

She talked at length about how her life was setting unrealistic expectations for her friends and colleagues, who did not know that her job was not really supporting her lifestyle, and how this arrangement probably resulted in a few of them overreaching financially and ending up in debt. 

I just mention to it to highlight that we don't really know anything about anyone else's finances.  That suburban family might be up to their eyeballs in debt, or that young Manhattan socialite might be living off her 2.5% SPY dividends.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 08:33:02 PM »
Especially how tv characters who live in new york (HI SEX AND THE CITY) have gigantic apartments and take cabs everywhere, but they all work at magazines or some other low paying creative job.

There was an article posted here last year about a real person living this life.  She worked some low paying creative job (in publishing, I think) in Manhattan but had a swanky apartment and fancy clothes.  Her secret?  Her dad had died in some kind of accident and the insurance payment set up a trust fund for her. 

She talked at length about how her life was setting unrealistic expectations for her friends and colleagues, who did not know that her job was not really supporting her lifestyle, and how this arrangement probably resulted in a few of them overreaching financially and ending up in debt. 

I just mention to it to highlight that we don't really know anything about anyone else's finances.  That suburban family might be up to their eyeballs in debt, or that young Manhattan socialite might be living off her 2.5% SPY dividends.

I totally agree. I'd assume that most people on this forum would think "gee, I wonder how on Earth they're paying for that - credit card debt maybe?" if they saw a lifestyle far swankier than the person's job seemed able to generate. Likewise, I think Mustachians wouldn't assume you're poor if you happen to be wearing old, holey, paint stained clothes to the supermarket to pick up milk.

My concern is for the financially illiterate masses out there, who see it and think "gee, she has fancier clothes than me, I'd better buy more right now".

In fact, a friend recently found out how much I earn and said she didn't believe me because I don't spend money on designer watches, clothes, going out to eat every night of the week, etc which is clearly what I would be doing if I really earnt that much. She actually asked why she owns nicer things than me if I earn that much money, and I had to explain that just because I earn it, doesn't mean I spend it. The average person sees nice possessions, higher incomes and 'wealth' as all one and the same, at least in my anecdotal experience. Look, that freelance writer has great shoes, I'm going to become a freelance writer and own lots of nice shoes too!

Wow, I've got pretty off-topic there :-)

economist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 09:48:59 PM »
The perfect Anti-Mustachian movie is "The Joneses." Basically a middle class family moves into a new neighborhood and rapidly becomes popular through conspicuous consumption... except that they are nothing more than a marketing ploy. They are not related, their job is to increase demand for various products by appearing to be living the dream.

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 06:41:52 AM »
Fun With Dick and Jane was a pretty good one too.  It is a little scary that it was a pre-crash movie though...

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 07:42:01 AM »
Confessions of a Shopaholic....watched because I was on a plane for 14 hours. She did eventually get her finances in order, but hooooeeey did they spend a lot of time on the spending part, and it actually hurt me to see. I kept wondering if people would watch it and feel like they could identify with the main character and her desire to buy things in order to feel good....and then not go any further and actually make a change.

Yes!  I read this book YEARS ago, well before finding this forum, but when I was living with my means on a relatively small salary and saving a bit.  I read voraciously and rarely put down even bad books, but this tested my limits.  I wanted to shake her through the book because I didn't understand how she could keep living as she did, buying to excess when she couldn't keep up.  I didn't realize people really did that.  I refused to watch the movie as a result.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 07:52:22 AM »
Yes!  A thousand times yes!  Thank you all for your articulate descriptions of this problem.  I brought it up in the thread about minimalism in movies and thought no one else was feeling me but maybe it was just too OT.

Yeah this really bugged me on Scrubs.  The apartment seemed reasonable but they were always wearing a new shirt from Urban Outfitters.  Maybe it's just that I don't like graphic tees.  Or Amy Poehler's character on Parks and Rec wears a new outfit every. episode.  But I've just sort of accepted it as a quirk of the show now.

I can think of a couple movies where this has had consequences.  (Spoilers!)  In Repo Men there's this guy with a really expensive looking apartment but they've come to repossess his kidney because he's fallen behind on the bills.  In U Turn, Sean Penn is trying to escape town because he thinks someone's trying to kill him but he's eight dollars short to buy a bus ticket and he flashes back to all the sodas he's bought that week.   Real money or your life situations.

Also, maybe we should give props to Breaking Bad.  When the show starts you see the wife selling things off on ebay to help with credit card bills.  Yet they don't live what most Americans would consider an exorbitant lifestyle.  I thought that was pretty realistic, that you don't have to live a flashy life to end up living beyond your means.  Later it's overwhelmed by the issue of medical costs, but I liked that they showed there were problems even before then (and it subtly shows a lot about the relationship dynamic in the family because the scripts are so. good. like that.)

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 08:05:08 AM »

Yes!  I read this book YEARS ago, well before finding this forum, but when I was living with my means on a relatively small salary and saving a bit.  I read voraciously and rarely put down even bad books, but this tested my limits.  I wanted to shake her through the book because I didn't understand how she could keep living as she did, buying to excess when she couldn't keep up.  I didn't realize people really did that.  I refused to watch the movie as a result.

that whole series infuriates me.  i read the first one and was like okay, yay chick lit for the win.  then the second one, i basically hate read the third one because once i commit to a series i like to read them all, and then finally i quit.  my biggest problem is that its always OMG so easy for becky bloomwood.  there is always some miraculous event that swoops in and saves the day, even in the first book she has an auction for all her stuff and the last minute and pays it all off.  she didn't have to work hard, she didn't get a second job.  it perpetuates the idea that you can bury your head in the sand and someone will save you.  UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  sorry rant over

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 08:14:49 AM »
I actually read an article about the cost of keeping up some of the lifestyles shown on TV such as Seinfeld (apparently the location was ridiculous), Friends, Sex and the City etc.  Just googled and this may have been it: http://blog.padmapper.com/2010/08/12/5-new-york-city-apartments-we-all-know-and-love/

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 10:16:08 AM »

Also, maybe we should give props to Breaking Bad.  When the show starts you see the wife selling things off on ebay to help with credit card bills.  Yet they don't live what most Americans would consider an exorbitant lifestyle.  I thought that was pretty realistic, that you don't have to live a flashy life to end up living beyond your means.  Later it's overwhelmed by the issue of medical costs, but I liked that they showed there were problems even before then (and it subtly shows a lot about the relationship dynamic in the family because the scripts are so. good. like that.)

The portrayal of their life/money issues in the first few episodes is one reason I couldn't go on with Breaking Bad, actually.  This guy is basically on the edge financially (second job, wife selling stuff on eBay), and on top of that has what seems to be a pretty depressing and tedious life.  I was just going crazy watching it because "WHAT IF THAT'S ME IN 20 YEARS?? NOOOOOOOOOO".

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 10:17:48 AM »
I was just going crazy watching it because "WHAT IF THAT'S ME IN 20 YEARS?? NOOOOOOOOOO".

Start cooking meth.  DUH! /sarcasm

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 10:41:19 AM »
I think we should remember that many, if not most, TV shows and movies would cease to exist had they shown a hint of reality. It is funny to be goofy with money problems, but for the average audience it is not acceptable to actually have none. Take a look at "Two Broke Girls," and it shows to girls that are allegedly broke, yet have brand new outfits, a decent apartment for NYC, and spend money on various things such as lattes. Or CSI where a detective or agent (whatever they call them) is wearing a really nice suit that was likely tailored that no person in his position would be able to afford.

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2014, 11:44:33 AM »
Not exactly a movie, but Raising hope is one of my "new" favorite shows because it's fairly realistic,  down to the same clothes showing up in almost every episode.  It's also nice to watch the  main character learning to do better than his parents with money and life in general.

I don't get  why people like Christmas Vacation. There's a mean streak in it that makes me cringe.

huadpe

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2014, 01:35:44 PM »

The portrayal of their life/money issues in the first few episodes is one reason I couldn't go on with Breaking Bad, actually.  This guy is basically on the edge financially (second job, wife selling stuff on eBay), and on top of that has what seems to be a pretty depressing and tedious life.  I was just going crazy watching it because "WHAT IF THAT'S ME IN 20 YEARS?? NOOOOOOOOOO".

For me, actually, the personal finances there seemed unrealistically bad.  Now, obviously, a schoolteacher's salary is not going to make you rich, but NM is not high cost of living, and most public employees get some sort of life insurance through work, and it was lack of life insurance that was Walter White's big problem (he had health insurance from work).  Also, it's not like they showed any major over-spending on their parts.  Like, his wife was going after him for spending something like $15 at staples early in the series.  Plus given Walter Jr's disability, they'd probably be entitled to SSI for him and the public employee health insurance would cover Walter Jr's medical care. 

I get that the finances have to be bad for the plot to make sense, but they don't give a really plausible reason -why- they're bad.

Elyse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2014, 02:00:28 PM »

For me, actually, the personal finances there seemed unrealistically bad.  Now, obviously, a schoolteacher's salary is not going to make you rich, but NM is not high cost of living, and most public employees get some sort of life insurance through work, and it was lack of life insurance that was Walter White's big problem (he had health insurance from work).  Also, it's not like they showed any major over-spending on their parts.  Like, his wife was going after him for spending something like $15 at staples early in the series.  Plus given Walter Jr's disability, they'd probably be entitled to SSI for him and the public employee health insurance would cover Walter Jr's medical care. 

I get that the finances have to be bad for the plot to make sense, but they don't give a really plausible reason -why- they're bad.

I recently started the series, so maybe I'm wrong.  But I thought the kid also had medical issues and they were still catching up from that?  Like, they had extra expenses outside of a typical family because of his needs.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2014, 02:07:31 PM »

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2014, 04:41:21 PM »
Just watched Company Men this week. Ok, they got laid off, but what was Ben Affleck's character doing making payments on a Porsche when it is stated later in the movie that he was making 160k a year? He couldn't buy an affordable car for cash?

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2014, 01:26:40 PM »
I already started a topic on Christmas Vacation and how the movie was hard to watch because of the money problems of the main character. I've started noticing a similar theme ("oh ha ha ha, lets all laugh at the poor upper middle class family that can't make their payments! Ha Ha Ha...) in all sorts of movies. Its usually used as a comedic device but the longer I live a mustacian life, the less funny or entertaining it becomes.

For instance, I was recently watching "This is 40" and there is a family with 2 kids and what must be a 4000+ sqft house, each kid has an ipad and a laptop, and they have multiple flat screens. The mom owns a clothing store that has revenue (not profit) of ~$12k/month (with 2 employees) and the dad is trying to start a record label and sucking at it. All the while they are giving around $80k over a few years to one of the in-laws. They have huge expenses and a very moderate income and its presented as "Look at the problems of being 40 and upper middle class, ha ha ha!"

It hurts to watch movies like this from a mustachian point of view. Its like watching a show about hoarders made for hoarders. "See, their life is so hard but they are so similar to you so you can relate to their problems. Now don't change anything about your life because see, everything worked out for them in the end."

Do other people here have the same trouble watching movies like this?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but TV/movies do not equal reality.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2014, 02:13:15 PM »

Well that's why I mentioned that I thought it was great they showed financial troubles with a lifestyle that doesn't seem extravagant.  I feel like I know a lot of American families who don't understand why they're struggling, but a house with a pool, two cars, a kid, but mostly all the miscellaneous little crap that adds up, especially if you're basing your lifestyle on who you consider your peers (including what you see on TV), can put you over by just a little bit and then credit cards and then unexpected minor expenses, etc.  (I recall she chided him about the Staples purchase because he did it on the wrong credit card, presumably one that either they were close to paying off or that was close to maxed out.)

I mean, that you want an explanation of a particular plot point makes sense, but I guess it seems to me that since it is so obvious that it needs an explanation that the decision not to provide one is deliberate.  Like, everybody has taken the White family to be a symbol of America when it comes to their being buried by healthcare costs, so that's just how I read the initial financial problems too.

(Don't read this Elyse!!)
Okay how about this: there's a bit of backstory about Walt's previous research work and I thought the timeline was that he bought the house with Skyla when he was still doing that.  I thought there was a flashback where he seemed concerned about the cost of the house and she said something about how they shouldn't worry.  So the explanation may simply be that they had a much more spendy lifestyle based on the expectation of his being a high earner and that didn't work out.

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2014, 04:25:56 PM »
I'm kind of obligated to love Flight of the Conchords as a kiwi, but one thing that a lot of people seem to point out is that it's a lot more realistic in terms of the lifestyle that aspiring muscians would be likely to live in NYC (which is really weird  since the entire show is supremely surreal).

Although the episode where overspending their budget by $2.79 sends them into a downward spiral of prison and prostitution might be a little extreme even for mustachians...

tariskat

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2014, 09:01:43 PM »
I'm kind of obligated to love Flight of the Conchords as a kiwi, but one thing that a lot of people seem to point out is that it's a lot more realistic in terms of the lifestyle that aspiring muscians would be likely to live in NYC (which is really weird  since the entire show is supremely surreal).

Although the episode where overspending their budget by $2.79 sends them into a downward spiral of prison and prostitution might be a little extreme even for mustachians...

FoTC frequently made me laugh to tears.  I liked at the end of that episode when the 2.79$ cup that sends them into the downward spiral breaks and Bret says "You'll be pleased."

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2014, 07:02:56 AM »
There are far too many people here that watch TV and movies. I thought MMM had all taught us well enough to ditch the TV??

We haven't ever had an antenna on our house and I can assure you all we never run into this problem :-) I guess if you read fiction books you might come across it but for me at least no TV, no movies, nonfiction only books and no radio = blissful isolation hehe. 10/10 highly recommend!

so... no "stories" unless they really happened? none EVER? I guess the "nonfiction-only books" is what's really getting me in your description of your media intake. I mean I like nonfiction too, but not ONLY nonfiction.

that sounds sad to me! I guess this is a "to each their own" situation. :) I can understand the "avoiding types of media that piss you off" concept, though. I never ever watch TV news for this reason...

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2014, 07:46:02 AM »
There are far too many people here that watch TV and movies. I thought MMM had all taught us well enough to ditch the TV??

We haven't ever had an antenna on our house and I can assure you all we never run into this problem :-) I guess if you read fiction books you might come across it but for me at least no TV, no movies, nonfiction only books and no radio = blissful isolation hehe. 10/10 highly recommend!

He advocates Netflix for entertainment. Pretty sure if he was 100% anti-TV that would not be a recommendation.

You can live your life any way you want, but who are you to tell others that the enjoyment they get from a good movie or show or book is wrong? That their bonding with others on the grounds of favorite stories is in some way non-genuine? And while I think TV should be used in moderation and there should be more to life, like projects or learning new skills, making things, etc, spending $10 to entertain yourself for 6 hours after work every single day can be pretty frugal. If, in my opinion, not interesting.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2014, 08:03:42 AM »

so... no "stories" unless they really happened? none EVER? I guess the "nonfiction-only books" is what's really getting me in your description of your media intake. I mean I like nonfiction too, but not ONLY nonfiction.

that sounds sad to me! I guess this is a "to each their own" situation. :) I can understand the "avoiding types of media that piss you off" concept, though. I never ever watch TV news for this reason...

Also just going nonfiction does not eliminate the problem of reading books with anti-mustachian lifestyle & spending.  Sure I read Confessions of a Shopgirl which was fiction, but there are PLENTY of true stories out there like it.  In fact, it's now become a "thing" for people to drive themselves into debt, create a blog paying it off (and asking people for money in some cases to do so...) and then write a book about their experience.

I'm actually more concerned about the blissful isolation in general is not an ideal approach to life, not knowing what is going on in the world.  And also, fiction teaches people imagination, which is a good thing - it can spur creativity in all sorts of forms beyond writing.  I know people who like to only read non-fiction books (my dad), but I just disagree that they are "bad".  They have their place.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2014, 09:36:09 AM »

I'm actually more concerned about the blissful isolation in general is not an ideal approach to life, not knowing what is going on in the world.  And also, fiction teaches people imagination, which is a good thing - it can spur creativity in all sorts of forms beyond writing.  I know people who like to only read non-fiction books (my dad), but I just disagree that they are "bad".  They have their place.

Reminds me of my favorite reading experience as a kid, To Build a Fire by Jack London.  Right at the beginning of the story there's this paragraph:
But all this—the mysterious, far-reaching hair-line trail, the absence of sun from the sky, the tremendous cold, and the strangeness and weirdness of it all—made no impression on the man. It was not because he was long used to it. He was a newcomer in the land, a chechaquo, and this was his first winter. The trouble with him was that he was without imagination. He was quick and alert in the things of life, but only in the things, and not in the significances. Fifty degrees below zero meant eighty-odd degrees of frost. Such fact impressed him as being cold and uncomfortable, and that was all. It did not lead him to meditate upon his frailty as a creature of temperature, and upon man's frailty in general, able only to live within certain narrow limits of heat and cold; and from there on it did not lead him to the conjectural field of immortality and man's place in the universe. Fifty degrees below zero stood for a bite of frost that hurt and that must be guarded against by the use of mittens, ear-flaps, warm moccasins, and thick socks. Fifty degrees below zero was to him just precisely fifty degrees below zero. That there should be anything more to it than that was a thought that never entered his head.

Obviously you can become educated in abstract thought and proper perspective through non-fiction too, but fiction has a way of grabbing you by the short hairs to get the lesson across quickly.

If you haven't read the story, do it, it's public domain.
http://www.jacklondons.net/buildafire.html
That lack of imagination turns into a life or death situation.  Makes quite an impression when you're young.

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2014, 02:18:45 PM »

Actually the antenna on our house blew down about 10 years ago, meaning that everything we watch comes through the computer and has to be purposely selected.

Everybody lives their own life, and I'm sure yours is profoundly meaningful to you but I can find a great deal of meaning and human empathy in fiction (including well constructed visual fiction).

Which is all a round-about way of saying that you take my ability to enjoy FotC (and Community which has an amazing capacity for empathy)  from my cold dead hands.

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2014, 12:23:00 AM »
Actually the antenna on our house blew down about 10 years ago, meaning that everything we watch comes through the computer and has to be purposely selected.

That's pretty  much us too, and we love it. The sitcoms are  my husband's way of us having a few laughs together before he goes off to bed, and then I switch to documentaries. That reminds me - The Queen of Versailles is  one mind blowing movie about money problems.

I like to read but I've never fallen asleep reading. I pick up a book, it's morning. Not  exactly good when you have work the next day.

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2014, 11:16:22 AM »

I like to read but I've never fallen asleep reading. I pick up a book, it's morning. Not  exactly good when you have work the next day.

I'm a great proselytizer for audiobooks, which have exploded in recent years. It takes a little while to get used to them, but it's wonderful to go walking about listening to a book and doing the gardening(or dishes, hell I even turn them on when I've got something repetitive to do at work)

Angelfishtitan

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2014, 12:32:27 PM »

Cable should most assuredly be gotten rid of, you are basically paying for advertising and it easily leads to channel surfing with no goal. Television/movies in general though? They are just another form of entertainment, and an especially cheap version. Plus, with Netflix and other similar options you have to specifically choose what you will watch.

What is your argument against those things that doesn't apply to nonfiction books? It is an interesting choice you have made and I am particularly curious what your reasoning is.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2014, 12:41:58 PM »

I'm a great proselytizer for audiobooks, which have exploded in recent years. It takes a little while to get used to them, but it's wonderful to go walking about listening to a book and doing the gardening(or dishes, hell I even turn them on when I've got something repetitive to do at work)

Agreed! I have some long drives a few times a year for work and love using audiobooks to pass the time. A good book will help the miles melt away. Speaking of miles and melting, I am using it while on the treadmill and it has helped a ton.

Annamal

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2014, 08:57:54 PM »

Agreed! I have some long drives a few times a year for work and love using audiobooks to pass the time. A good book will help the miles melt away. Speaking of miles and melting, I am using it while on the treadmill and it has helped a ton.

Heh I've been known to take an extra long route home if I've just got to a particularly good bit =)

The only thing is that most of the walking tracks around our house are narrow and duel use, so I have had to train my ears to detect the distinctive shriek of mountain bike brakes over the top of an audiobook so I can avoid being flattened.

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2014, 11:42:36 PM »
I need to get back to to falling asleep to audio-books. The mp3 player I user for them has crawled off (probably somewhere under the bed).  There are some stories from Arabian Nights I've heard the beginning of 20+  times and never made it to the ending, LOL

Reepekg

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2014, 04:35:13 PM »
This always nagged me about Gilmore Girls. One of the main points of tension in the show was the mother's conflict with her super rich parents, and how she made her own way in the world but struggled with money.

That's cool that it showed finances being a problem now and again, but then don't have her in a non-lucrative profession, living in a monster house, eating out all the time, and always in fashionable clothes...

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2014, 05:18:26 PM »
This always nagged me about Gilmore Girls. One of the main points of tension in the show was the mother's conflict with her super rich parents, and how she made her own way in the world but struggled with money.

That's cool that it showed finances being a problem now and again, but then don't have her in a non-lucrative profession, living in a monster house, eating out all the time, and always in fashionable clothes...

Hm. The house and job never seemed that unreasonable to me (it's a 2-BR on the outskirts of town), although the eating out and outfits did. But the big counterargument for GG is Luke, who is totally Mustachian in his lifestyle (although I don't think he invested? I think in some episode he has crazy money in a savings acct).

I do also hate the new-outfit-every-episode thing in so many modern shows. Currently noticing in The Carrie Diaries and Don't Trust the B**tch in Apartment 23.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2014, 06:20:42 PM »
The food thing always annoyed me with Gilmore Girls too... and it seemed to me even in my pre-MMM days that they were living pretty luxurious lives for people who had money problems. The clothes they bought alone probably could've paid for Rory's school fees.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2014, 07:53:19 AM »
The two shows that always strike me of being realistic with money are "Rosanne" and "King of the Hill." In Rosanne the family seems to live a much more normal life and deals with money in ways that seem realistic. in KOTH the dad has a reasonable job and his lifestyle seems to match. Has anyone else seen these and feel the same way? I think having realistic tv shows is very important in that it must at least subconsciously impact what you expect to get out of life.

Dr. A

• Stubble

lexie2000

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2014, 09:29:03 PM »
If I remember correctly, this subject was addressed in a chapter of The Overspent American.  I believe that the author points out how a lot of what we watch on TV is unrealistic from a personal finance prospective.

I can't comment on the shows mentioned because although I've heard of them, I haven't seen any of them, except for Roseanne.

I have read a series of books by Sue Grafton (A is for Alibi, B is for ...., etc.)  where the main character lives pretty frugally in Santa Theresa (fictional Santa Barbara).  She rents a granny quarters, cuts her own hair, drives an old VW bug, and has little in the way of clothing.  She likes to live very simply.  Her income is from working fraud cases for an insurance company and freelancing as a PI.