Author Topic: Movie Theaters  (Read 18437 times)

AM43

• Stubble
Movie Theaters
« on: July 31, 2015, 10:51:09 AM »
Movie Theaters are one place where you can drop good chunk of change.
Average family of 2 adults and 2 children has to to fork over at least over $40 just to get in and then all the fun begins at
concession stand. I personally refuse to purchase anything as its against my principles and believes to pay for overpriced junk, but I cant help to notice lines of people spending left and right buying up candy, pop corn, nachos, wings etc.
All those items are low in nutritional value, plus the fact you are paying 300% markup and in case of popcorn 1000%(yes, its not a typo)makes me want to throw up. By the time you are done, you are out of $60-80. Thats a lot of money you can put to good use. I simply bring some candy, snack and water with me. I understand that movie theaters are in business to make money and in fact not too many people know that they make more money at concession stands than selling tickets, but still I dont feel guilty to bring my own stuff. So how do you guys go about it?

Magic Mocha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Movie Theaters
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 11:03:08 AM »
These days, I generally only go to the movie theater if it's something that's going to be SERIOUSLY improved by seeing in theaters and being fully engaged. Pacific Rim, Inception, Whiplash? Absolutely. No regrets whatsoever. A comedy, period piece drama, documentary or standard action flick? I can wait until it's on Netflix or rent it for $1-3 in a few months.

Also, yeah, management isn't wild about people sneaking in snacks. According to the manager I had when I worked at a theater during the summers, the ticket sales are just enough to keep the lights on, generally. Concession is where they make actual profit. I don't have any real issue with sneaking in food, and chances are the low-level ushers there don't either. That said, pleeease do them the courtesy of being properly sneaky with your food. They don't want to have to alert their managers or tell you 'no' any more than you. Sneak it in, eat it quietly, and properly dispose of it - leaving a mess of clearly outside food is especially rude.

EricP

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 11:06:52 AM »
I enjoy movie theatres, but I do realize they are quite pricey.  I imagine once I have children I won't want to take them, but Da Wife and I can get our tickets, refill of the popcorn bucket and a drink for $25.25, bring two burritos in the purse and the whole event costs less than $40.

And as for the concessions making more money than the tickets, I've determined that's just one of those oft-repeated internet rumors. And most people say something even more extreme than your version: "They make all their money off the concessions" or something like that. Everyone's heard it and says it everywhere, but upon looking at 10K Filing of Regal Entertainment Group (largest movie theatre company in America) it shows that the make more profit off Admissions than they do Concessions.

Admissions Profit: $1998M - $1047M = 952M in Profit
Concessions Profit: $829M - $111M = 718M in Profit

Source:http://investor.regmovies.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=222211&p=IROL-sec&secCat01.2_rs=21&secCat01.2_rc=10

AM43

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 11:20:26 AM »
I enjoy movie theatres, but I do realize they are quite pricey.  I imagine once I have children I won't want to take them, but Da Wife and I can get our tickets, refill of the popcorn bucket and a drink for $25.25, bring two burritos in the purse and the whole event costs less than $40.

And as for the concessions making more money than the tickets, I've determined that's just one of those oft-repeated internet rumors. And most people say something even more extreme than your version: "They make all their money off the concessions" or something like that. Everyone's heard it and says it everywhere, but upon looking at 10K Filing of Regal Entertainment Group (largest movie theatre company in America) it shows that the make more profit off Admissions than they do Concessions.

Source:http://investor.regmovies.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=222211&p=IROL-sec&secCat01.2_rs=21&secCat01.2_rc=10

718M in Profit from candy, soda, popcorn and other items that cost pennies.
Think about it.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 11:26:02 AM »
As long as people behave themselves then the movie theaters are not too expensive, but if people are getting too rambunctious then I start to think they are not expensive enough.  Also why are children's tickets cheaper than adult tickets?  They tend to make more noise and talk during the movie.  They should at least be paying as much as adults for the amount of disturbance they cause.

I'm not a fan of 3D movies due to the muted colors and extra charge, but can't win them all.

Also, mediastinger.com will let you know if there's an extra scene after the credits. 

EricP

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 11:27:57 AM »
As long as people behave themselves then the movie theaters are not too expensive, but if people are getting too rambunctious then I start to think they are not expensive enough.  Also why are children's tickets cheaper than adult tickets?  They tend to make more noise and talk during the movie.  They should at least be paying as much as adults for the amount of disturbance they cause.

Because that's how everything is.  Kids are always cheaper to incentivize more adults to take their kids.  If you want to avoid kids being in the theatre than just go late at night or on weekends if schools in.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 11:35:00 AM »

Because that's how everything is.  Kids are always cheaper to incentivize more adults to take their kids.  If you want to avoid kids being in the theatre than just go late at night or on weekends if schools in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_discrimination

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 01:24:20 PM »
The way I see it, I am not going to buy popcorn or pop or candy from a theater. The only money a theater will get from me is the price of admission, period. So I have zero qualms about sneaking in candy, liquor (not something I ordinarily will do), or ice cream. The theater wasn't going to get that money anyways. I almost never go to a movie when it's sold out, so I'm not taking a seat from someone that might have spent money on concessions so the theater has no opportunity cost.

If other people get value from buying junk there, that's good for them and as there are quite a few theater chains competing here, I'm glad that they are doing it because I feel that they are helping subsidize my ticket. I get this reasoning because if theaters make more money selling concessions than tickets, they will lower their ticket prices in order to get more people to come to them instead of going to say AMC Theaters, and thus my ticket will be lowered.

Of course, if EVERYONE did the same as me, there would be a serious ticket price adjustment, but I can't live my life by that logic. If everyone was frugal... If everyone bought Camrys.... If everyone wore Polo's....., so in my opinion this isn't an option I'm truly willing to consider.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 01:48:56 PM »
I love the dollar theater. Slightly older movies, not yet on video, only $1.50. Cheap date!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 02:14:26 PM »
I love the dollar theater. Slightly older movies, not yet on video, only $1.50. Cheap date!

Looks like someone got overcharged! :)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 02:19:20 PM »
Also, yeah, management isn't wild about people sneaking in snacks.

Management called the police on a college friend of mine about 15 years ago. Said he was drinking a beer. He was but it was a root beer. A bottle isn't very discrete. And yeah he missed the movie.

We have a gas station near our local theater that specializes in candy just like the theater sells but at a big discount. Apparently lots of people sneaking in $1 candy rather than buying the $5 theater candy.

Around here to save movie money - go to the drive-in. Yep we still have one of those. You can have pizza delivered to the gate, bring in anything with you, etc.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 02:31:12 PM »
When I see a movie (which is pretty rarely), I go to the drive-in. It costs $9 per person for two movies, I can bring in whatever food I want (the only restriction is that I can't grill it on-site), and be as comfortable as I want since I'm bringing my own chair. It's great! Not to mention, the fact that outside food is allowed means the snack bar food can't be too overpriced.

The dollar theaters (which around here cost more like three dollars) aren't, but they're way out in the suburbs and too sticky for my comfort.

EricP

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 02:39:08 PM »
I'm a big fan of drive-in theatres as well as long as they have multiple screens.  If not, then you're almost always going to be stuck watching a crap movie for your second movie. 

And you can even split up from your group during different movies if people bring their own radios and headphones.  I remember one time my sister walked across the grass after the first movie because she didn't feel like watching one of the Terminator movies.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 08:49:23 PM »
I used to go to the movies a lot.  Now that I'm not that young nor poor I don't begrudge the theatre an occasional purchase of overpriced snacks.  Especially if you buy to share with your date. I don't feel like sneaking in stuff anymore, and figure it's a cost of the experience of going to the theatre.  They need to make some kind of profit to stay in business and give me the option of seeing a film on the big screen.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 10:09:09 PM »
You do know that it is possible to sit in a room for 1.5 - 2 hours without having to consume your own weight in snacks?

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2015, 05:18:07 AM »
You do know that it is possible to sit in a room for 1.5 - 2 hours without having to consume your own weight in snacks?

thanks for making me spit up my orange juice. It's true, I'm not sure why people feel they HAVE to buy a soda, candy box, and popcorn for every attendee. Heck maybe nachos with that weird "cheese" or a cardboard bar pizza for $12.

Of course, last time I went to the movies, I priced out a small popcorn and drink and was $2 cheaper than the HomeDepot bucket of popcorn and Big Gulp soda. While it was the first time I bought something at concessions in 5 years....Talk about feeling like crap two hours later...

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 08:18:28 PM »
I don't go often, but in a traditional movie theater I bypass all the snack foods. But I'll indulge at the places with full-menu service. We'd probably be going out to eat anyway and the damage for a burger/fries/beer is remarkably similar to a meal at a restaurant anyway.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 02:43:57 PM »
I never go to the movie theater aymore. I can wait till it comes out on dvd and get the free rental code from redbox or if netflix will pick it up later for streaming.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2015, 03:00:11 PM »
We love movies...  Note that $50 for a family of four is cheaper than dinner out, and about the same as lunch or chreap brunch out.  Heck its $40 for fast food for 4 if you get the healthier options at fast food.

So movies just come out of family entertainment budget, and we collectively ask what would you prefer?  Water slides once this month, or eating out a couple of times, or movie? 

cawiau

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 03:00:13 PM »

I never go to the movie theater aymore. I can wait till it comes out on dvd and get the free rental code from redbox or if netflix will pick it up later for streaming.

Same here... We haven't been to a movie theater in years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2015, 08:04:47 PM »
I usually don't get any food at the theater... occasionally I'll eat mass quantities of popcorn, but it's so hard to get past the retarded prices.

We have a pretty decent dollar theater in our town, so we try to wait till the movie comes there if we really want the big-screen experience.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2015, 09:29:50 PM »
We like movies. We see most of the big-name ones when they first come out, which usually ends up being about once a month. We even get popcorn!

But we don't spend much on it - I ask for Cineplex gift cards if my workplace wants to give out cards (a couple times a year), and my boyfriend's workplace does group buying of bulk movie tickets which gets the cost down to about 60% of retail. We also go to free advance screenings whenever we get a chance.

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 10:15:23 PM »
Everyone's heard it and says it everywhere, but upon looking at 10K Filing of Regal Entertainment Group (largest movie theatre company in America) it shows that the make more profit off Admissions than they do Concessions.

Guilt totally gone, will continue to bring own.  Except my indie theatre has such great popcorn and the price is reasonable. Because my kids are older and go with their friends, since I got sick in Sept, I have not gone to the movies. Honestly haven't missed them since  they are out so soon in various forms. A movie I really wanted to see, I used to keep a running list because we just get blockbusters here.  Then after it had been out a while, I looked on the library site, they had ordered it but still let you get in the "line" even though they didn't even have it yet. 

if I hit the year mark in Sept and I will not have seen a movie in all that time, I'll have to think about it as a mustachian (I'm new, pardon if I get the lingo all messed up).  I have saved a lot of money by not going so do I stay on this roll of not going and save, save, save?  Or have I been so housebound, that it's ok to go to one? hmmmm.....

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2015, 10:57:55 PM »
The husband and I used to do $5 Tuesdays and smuggle in some bulk candy from WinCo. For a grand total of about $15 for a movie date. God, I miss WinCo...

Now we do the first RPX matinee of the weekend and smuggle in Safeway candy. It costs us about $22 now. Still a pretty cheap date.

katstache92

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2015, 10:39:18 AM »
I love seeing movies in the theater, but, I've cut way way back since finding MMM.

Cinemark has discounted tickets on Tuesdays plus the first showing of a movie each day is cheaper, even on the weekends.

They also have email concessions coupons (ex. buy a small drink get a small popcorn free) so I sometimes indulge, although that has also been cut back significantly.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2015, 10:46:39 AM »
Maybe twice a year here.  Sometime we have free passes off the radio.   Usually bring own snacks and sometimes even drinks.   

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2015, 11:06:49 AM »
With a young kid, we almost never see movies, maybe 1-2x a year.  Happened to go see one this past weekend (Jurassic World, wanted to see something that's better on the big screen).  Really enjoyed it.  Did notice that the concessions (1 sm popcorn, 1 bag of candy + 2 drinks) was about the same as the ticket price, ~$22 for each.  $44 doesn't seem like a ridiculous amount of money for a night out.  If it was every weekend we'd smuggle in food, but for our frequency, it's a splurge. 

Suncoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2015, 06:49:20 PM »
A former co-worker of mine used to go see 2-3 movies EVERY weekend.  It was always at least him and his wife, but often one or both of his kids would go as well.  Not sure if he bought snacks and drinks, but just the ticket cost alone would be pretty substantial.  Not to mention the fact that I have no idea how he had any interest in seeing 90% of the movies he watched.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2015, 07:04:47 PM »
I go to the movie theater with friends as a way to socialize / network. Part of my amusement budget. They are still ridiculously expensive, but then, I'll spend more if going out to eat. Thankfully both of those are rare habits.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I usually see maybe 2-3 movies a year.

codemonkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2015, 08:21:45 PM »
We don't go to movies often, but when we do, we can hit up the nice theaters' matinee showings for $5.50 to $6.50 a ticket. 

There are some advantages to living in the Mid West.  I don't think you could find tickets that cheap in a larger city or on the East/West coast.

EricP

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2015, 10:16:15 AM »
A former co-worker of mine used to go see 2-3 movies EVERY weekend.  It was always at least him and his wife, but often one or both of his kids would go as well.  Not sure if he bought snacks and drinks, but just the ticket cost alone would be pretty substantial.  Not to mention the fact that I have no idea how he had any interest in seeing 90% of the movies he watched.

Two or three different tickets?  Or the old buy one ticket and spend the whole day there trick?

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2015, 10:50:49 AM »
Just looked up my Mint records. Last year we spent $139 for two people to see seven movies, with popcorn for most of them. So far this year we've seen six and spent $103. We have a few more we want to see this year (Hitman, Maze Runner 2, Hunger Games, Star Wars). I'm fine with those numbers.

EricP

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2015, 12:15:20 PM »
I go here: http://www.regencymovies.com/main.php?theaterId=7 where movies are a few of weeks after release but price is $3 ($5 for 3D movies) and "date night" gets you 2 tickets, 2 popcorns and 2 sodas for $10. I generally only go for special effects movies only and save the other movies for free DVDs from the library or Redbox rentals.

The problem with dollar theatres is that they are generally pretty crappy movie theatres.  They don't have digital projectors of high quality sound, staffing is lower so your fit are sticking to the ground.  The only dollar theatre near me doesn't even have stadium seating so people's heads get in the way.

So there isn't an improved experience over just watching it at home, imo, and the movies in dollar theatres are usually <2 months from DVD release so if I've already waited the 3-4 months for them to hit the dollar theatre, I will just wait until I can pirate it from home.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2015, 12:18:52 PM »
We get pretty close to first-run here at the dollar show, and I've never been picky about the equipment. YMMV :)

Alenzia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2015, 12:29:05 PM »
I don't know if it's common for all areas, but I noticed that both our town and several neighboring towns do free movie screenings in the park type things. Generally not the most recent releases, but it's still pretty great.

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2015, 12:30:08 PM »

Looks to me like they're making about a 90% profit on ticket sales and about an 750% profit on concessions.  I can see why they wouldn't want you to bring in outside food.  Every $1 you spend on snacks at the grocery store is costing them $7.50.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 12:32:52 PM by Jags4186 »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2015, 12:37:33 PM »
Movie Theaters are one place where you can drop good chunk of change.
Average family of 2 adults and 2 children has to to fork over at least over $40 just to get in and then all the fun begins at
concession stand. I personally refuse to purchase anything as its against my principles and believes to pay for overpriced junk, but I cant help to notice lines of people spending left and right buying up candy, pop corn, nachos, wings etc.
All those items are low in nutritional value, plus the fact you are paying 300% markup and in case of popcorn 1000%(yes, its not a typo)makes me want to throw up. By the time you are done, you are out of $60-80. Thats a lot of money you can put to good use. I simply bring some candy, snack and water with me. I understand that movie theaters are in business to make money and in fact not too many people know that they make more money at concession stands than selling tickets, but still I dont feel guilty to bring my own stuff. So how do you guys go about it?

Well, to start- I don't go to movie theaters anymore. The ticket price isn't worth it.  I haven't seen a movie in theaters in 3 years.

But on the rare occasion I go with my nephews or something, I just don't eat or drink anything for the duration of the movie. I promise them ice cream after the movie (we stop at the grocery store and get it on the way home)- and they handle the time without snacks just fine (toddler and elementary school aged).

When I was a kid, I snuck in snacks, but as an adult I don't. By buying the ticket, I agreed to the theaters conditions, one of which is very clearly posted as "no outside food and drinks".  I don't see why I should break that just because I think their drinks and snacks are too expensive or because I think it is an unfair profit margin.  It's not like they are life sustaining or I'm being held captive and paying for them is my only option.  To me, it is immoral to bring food and drinks in.

Rachelocity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2015, 12:57:12 PM »
I usually have a small snack in my purse, which I may or may not eat during the film, depending on how I feel (I'm diabetic, so sometimes I really can't wait two hours before having food).  I honestly don't like movie popcorn or huge vats of diluted soda, so it's no sacrifice for me to go without.  Bonus: if I don't drink a giant soft drink, I don't have to miss part of the action for the inevitable pee breaks.  The only theatre that I make it a policy to purchase something is the Dollar Cinema, because they have reasonably priced and delicious snacks such as samosas.  Plus, the whole thing ends up costing less than a ticket at the first-run theatre.   

I choose my first-run theatre carefully - there's one in my old neighbourhood that has 3-D, surround sound and all the other stuff, never gets a crowd even on opening weekends for blockbusters and is half the price of the downtown theatre.  (Cote des Neiges Plaza, for any Montrealers reading this!)

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2015, 01:06:28 PM »
Movies have mostly lost their appeal for me.  I think the last movie I went to in a theatre was well over a year ago.  There just isn't anything I really feel like I need to spend $$$ to see anymore.  The theatre near me charges $15 a seat (the seats are these super amazing recliners) so for my family of 4 to go it is over $50 without any concessions.  I usually buy one giant bag of popcorn for the whole family to split for $6 but I will sneak in drinks in my purse.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2015, 02:16:02 PM »
Looks to me like they're making about a 90% profit on ticket sales and about an 750% profit on concessions.  I can see why they wouldn't want you to bring in outside food.  Every $1 you spend on snacks at the grocery store is costing them $7.50.
Not if I was never going to spend that money on their ruttin' concession stand in the first place!

Suncoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2015, 05:43:24 AM »

Two or three different tickets?  Or the old buy one ticket and spend the whole day there trick?

Separate tickets often 1 movie each day (Fri, Sat, Sun)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2015, 06:24:16 AM »
Another perspective: for a period in my city all but one of the movie theaters closed. Now I do mean technically within the city limits. I never bought the overpriced crap food, and apparently neither did anyone else because they didn't stay open.

Then two nice, new,  theaters opened, ones that showed films that I sometimes wanted to see. They are fairly close by to me with free parking. When they opened they provided alcohol. One even has a full bar! By then I was kinda/sorta relaxing on tight mustavhianism since my stash had hit critical mass, so I now allow myself a glass of wine at the movie theater. It's not good wine, but it's drinkable. And I am contributing to the theaters profit, important if I expect there to be movie theaters for me to attend.

We could get into a big discussion of why at home viewing is better, suffice to say that for me, I prefer the big screen.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2015, 01:52:46 PM »
For years my wife and I would make our own double feature, jumping into a near-empty theater to see a second movie, usually one that had been out for a few weeks.

Dishonest? Stealing? Perhaps. But for generations there actually were movie double features, along with double-header baseball games.

These days, we just don't go to the movies. Too expensive (even for two movies). Plus, like concerts and everything else in life, you never know when they'll start. Twenty years ago, a 7:30 movie started at 7:30 (previews started at 7:15ish). Now the "pre-show entertainment BS" starts at 7, the previews start at 7:25 and the actual movie starts at 7:45 or later.

Movies get to video faster all the time. Why bother with the theaters?

As for food, can't anyone go two freakin' hours without eating? Geez. That's worse than smokers.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2015, 02:05:38 PM »
I occasionally take my kids if we are climbing the walls and the weather is bad and I just can't cope. I hate how costly the movies are and I don't go otherwise. Sometimes my boyfriend pays for movies and we go because there is something he wants to see in the theater. I always smuggle in snacks - there is a CVS right across the street from the theater. I will sometimes buy a large Slurpee for the kids to share - it is big enough for all 3 of us and costs about $6. When my kids were really little and I wasn't working I would take them to the free kid's movies in the summer (I think Regal is the chain that does this). The downside to the free kids movies is that a lot of day camps use it as their outing for that day and you end up with a really bad kid to adult ratio.

I haven't found any dollar type theaters in this area (Maryland, near DC). I used to go more often years ago in TX where there was a decent dollar (or $1.50) theater. I have Netflix for my movie watching needs, and free TV w/ my antenna.

Most movies are just not worth the $10-$12 ticket cost to me.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2015, 02:12:39 PM »
I don't go often, but when I do, I end up thinking more about the total spent at the concession stand by the person next to me than I do the actual movie.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/$77-movie-snacks/
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 06:25:02 PM by Eric »

tomsang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2015, 02:48:55 PM »
I have ownership in a movie theater.  Without the concessions, the theater would go broke very quickly.  The gross margins on concessions are approaching 80%, where the gross margins on the tickets are 40%.  Movie theaters only pay money based on seats sold. So if you see a relatively empty theater because the movie was a dog, the movie theater is only paying based on ticket sales.  Of course, you need the volume to cover all the various costs. 

This year we are up 17% over last year, which was anticipated last year by management as they knows when the various movies are released up to two years in advance.  The other thing is we pay significantly more per ticket the opening weekend and the percentage that we pay goes down as the movie ages out.  So in some cases the most profitable movie for a theater is a movie that has been out for awhile that for whatever reason has a surge in attendance.

Keep attending the movies and make sure you hit the concessions:)

Edited for up vs. down mistake 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 02:56:18 PM by tomsang »

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2015, 02:51:02 PM »
I'm here to confess that I love the popcorn at my local movie theater, and when going to a movie fully intend to buy the jumbo bucket of it to share with my husband.  We are fairly fit people overall, and this is one thing I'll never give up.  But I sneak in my own water to drink?  We go to about 4 movies a year and use gift cards for 2, so we only pay full price for 2 movies and concession stand trips.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2015, 02:54:14 PM »
I have ownership in a movie theater.  Without the concessions, the theater would go broke very quickly.  The gross margins on concessions are approaching 80%, where the gross margins on the tickets are 40%.  Movie theaters only pay money based on seats sold. So if you see a relatively empty theater because the movie was a dog, the movie theater is only paying based on ticket sales.  Of course, you need the volume to cover all the various costs. 

This year we are up 17% over last year, which was anticipated last year by management as they knows when the various movies are released up to two years in advance.  The other thing is we pay significantly more per ticket the opening weekend and the percentage that we retain goes down as the movie ages out.  So in some cases the most profitable movie for a theater is a movie that has been out for awhile that for whatever reason has a surge in attendance.

Do you mean up?

tomsang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2015, 02:55:12 PM »

This year we are up 17% over last year, which was anticipated last year by management as they knows when the various movies are released up to two years in advance.  The other thing is we pay significantly more per ticket the opening weekend and the percentage that we retain goes down as the movie ages out.  So in some cases the most profitable movie for a theater is a movie that has been out for awhile that for whatever reason has a surge in attendance.

Do you mean up?

yep

EricP

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2015, 02:57:22 PM »
The other thing is we pay significantly more per ticket the opening weekend and the percentage that we retain goes down as the movie ages out.  So in some cases the most profitable movie for a theater is a movie that has been out for awhile that for whatever reason has a surge in attendance.

Which is exactly why second run theatres can charge significantly less than first run.  The movie studio isn't charging them as much per seat because it's been out so long and they are trying to get the last few drops before it goes to DVD.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!