Author Topic: Movie madness  (Read 15178 times)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Movie madness
« on: October 17, 2017, 01:45:52 AM »
I am so out of touch... I'm at the movies for the first time in forever. I am stunned...

Advertised at the counter was a small popcorn and coke combo for $14.50!!!!

Gold class deal gets you 3 beef sliders for $25! People are actually paying for this. I watching the lines there and getting apoplectic 😵😵

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Movie madness
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 05:06:43 AM »
Oh let me blow your mind even more!

To see Star Wars: The Last Jedi at Gold Class (I'm not doing this, it's just an example):

$60 Gold Class tickets for 2
$80 Galactic Deal for 2 (cheeseburger dumplings , spring rolls, chicken sliders, sundae and 2 drinks)
$6.50 booking fee
= $146.50

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 06:53:18 AM »
I used to LOVE going to the movies, but in cutting cable I also accidentally cut my link to movie trailers (yes I still get them online, but not as regularly as before). We dropped our movie attendance significantly in the past few years.

That being said, I remember going and standing in line for popcorn and thinking "when did we, as a collective society, decide it was commercially acceptable to buy a product marked up at 1275%."  Plus when the movie theaters started introducing DVX and AVX and 4D and VIP and Food at your seats etc. etc, it got to be too much. (Paying $25+ a person to see the movie is nuts!)

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 07:25:02 AM »
Theaters are certainly expensive nowadays. I've since rediscovered drive-in theaters (US).

There are two within an hour of me, both are about $9 per adult (kids are free), and include admission to 2 or 3 first-run movies in a row. Bring your own food/beverage, blankets, chairs, and relax. It's not the cheapest thing you can do, but it beats paying the same price for one movie only and limited options for snacks. Plus, with an infant, it's easy for my wife to feed the baby in relative privacy and not need to worry about offending folks if the baby is fussy.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 07:52:09 AM »
I go to one or two movies a year at most. I enjoy those movies very much b/c they are rare but the cost of of attending a movie with food is utterly ridiculous by my yardstick.

I enjoy rewatching some movies and most of the time I'll wait and rent the movie or even wait a year or two until I can buy the movie on DVD for cheap - instead of seeing it at the theater.

In order to properly "suspend belief" and watch my movie uninterrupted, I'll wait until our kids are in bed on a school night. Then break out the headphones. My headphones are pretty ordinary but they are capable of reproducing most of sound quality that the theater sound system does.

Night quite as great as a 40ft wide screen but it still has its pleasures. And I can pause for bathroom breaks.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 08:49:41 AM »
I got my MoviePass card! I haven't used it yet, but should be fun to see how well it works.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 09:29:44 AM »
I used to LOVE going to the movies, but in cutting cable I also accidentally cut my link to movie trailers (yes I still get them online, but not as regularly as before). We dropped our movie attendance significantly in the past few years.

This. Disconnecting from most media means I couldn't tell you what is in theaters.

I have a stack of perhaps 40-50 free movie tickets (accumulated low value recognitions from a previous job) and still don't think to go more than once or twice a year. They don't expire but I should probably sell them on Craigslist in case the chains file for bankruptcy or something...

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 09:39:21 AM »

This. Disconnecting from most media means I couldn't tell you what is in theaters.

I have a stack of perhaps 40-50 free movie tickets (accumulated low value recognitions from a previous job) and still don't think to go more than once or twice a year. They don't expire but I should probably sell them on Craigslist in case the chains file for bankruptcy or something...

Same here regarding knowing what to see. If it isn't Star Wars or Marvel-related, I have no notion.  On occasion I'll see a trailer as an embedded ad on Youtube, but I'm so difficult to entertain that none of them are interesting to me.

My much more affluent SIL would take us to see a movie every now and then when we lived near her in CO.  The theater had reclining seats, a full snack bar including burgers, sandwiches, and wine!

My first job before I enlisted was cleaning crew in a theater.  The reason food is so expensive is because that's where the theater gets most of its money.  They get a very small percentage of ticket sales, but the snack bar is all them. 

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 09:40:22 AM »
Those prices are the reason why I rarely go to the cinema in Australia. Then I go on a cinema spree when I visit Malaysia... http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Cost-of-living/Cinema-ticket-price/International-release#amount

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 09:48:32 AM »

We optimize to keep costs down, but we also favor documentaries and the types of movies that will win an award, so that trims down our pool of movies to watch.  I buy gift cards when they are 20-30% off, fandango often does a deal with Visa Checkout where the tix are BOGO, we only do matinees, rarely buy concessions and take advantage of the cheap days, like $5 Tuesdays.

What movie chain tix do you have?  I may be interested in buying some off you if the price is right!  :)

londonstache

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 10:01:32 AM »
I was a little surprised last time I went (UK) to see people filling up on popcorn, nachos, dogs, sliders etc. at a very high price.

My darling wife and I only go a few times per year, and when we do we use a pair of the free movie tickets I get with my (fee free) bank account and fill our pockets up with cheap food from the local store we sneak in. Perhaps we are in the minority, as I'd estimate the cost for this date night activity is roughly £1/head.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 10:17:38 AM »
Going to the movies has not only gotten expensive (if you figure in the snacks/drinks that folks buy) but the enjoyment factor has gone way down.  I'd rather stay at home, eat/drink what I want and pause for potty breaks.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 10:20:58 AM »
We just bring our own snacks.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 11:03:10 AM »
I have a movie-related habit to share with my fellow tightwads.

Some time ago, I realized I didn't actually need to eat or drink (I suppose it's fashionable to say "hydrate" now to justify the expense) every hour or two. Camel-like, I can actually go several hours between meals and water breaks. In fact, I do it all the time at work during meetings, or while working at home. People do not actually need to graze like cattle or nosh constantly while watching other people exert themselves at a sports event or on a screen.

Once I had this inspiration, I realized that most movies last about an hour and a half. Even a Lord-Of-The-Rings style epic is only about three hours long. So if I took a bathroom break and then had a drink of water from the public fountain in the cinema, I could comfortably get through an entire movie without having to eat or drink. This freed me from the notion that I was somehow obligated to buy food from the concession or try to sneak it in.

Now, when I go to a movie (I won half a dozen free tickets earlier this year), I bring in something to do with my hands. I work on crochet or knitting in simple patterns that I can easily do by touch, or I bring some mending or quilt binding. This allows me to get some useful work done (albeit somewhat slower than normally) while watching the movie. Indeed, if I watch a DVD at home it's generally while getting the same kind of work done; I don't truly believe I have the moral right to slack off even while relaxing, so during my down time I try to get some of my gifts made up. Taking hand work to the movies was a logical extension of what I do at home. I find I get more emotional and psychological benefit out of the movie and the craft work. Calorie-wise it helps as well: when I have something to do with my hands I'm less likely to want sticky or greasy "finger food".

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 12:01:06 PM »
Going to the movies has not only gotten expensive (if you figure in the snacks/drinks that folks buy) but the enjoyment factor has gone way down. I'd rather stay at home, eat/drink what I want and pause for potty breaks.

Yes.

Which is why when my husband really wants to see a movie, I send him.

If he wants to see it with me, I ask him how long it is.
If it's >1:40, the answer is "wait till it's on streaming".

And if it's a kid movie, we do a date.  One parent/ one kid, unless it's at the drive-in.

In short, in-theater movies:
Me: 1-3 (generally go out for mom's night)
Hubby alone: 3-5
Kids: 1-2

That's annually

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 12:14:09 PM »

Some time ago, I realized I didn't actually need to eat or drink (I suppose it's fashionable to say "hydrate" now to justify the expense) every hour or two. Camel-like, I can actually go several hours between meals and water breaks. In fact, I do it all the time at work during meetings, or while working at home. People do not actually need to graze like cattle or nosh constantly while watching other people exert themselves at a sports event or on a screen.

Once I had this inspiration, I realized that most movies last about an hour and a half. Even a Lord-Of-The-Rings style epic is only about three hours long. So if I took a bathroom break and then had a drink of water from the public fountain in the cinema, I could comfortably get through an entire movie without having to eat or drink. This freed me from the notion that I was somehow obligated to buy food from the concession or try to sneak it in.

Now, when I go to a movie (I won half a dozen free tickets earlier this year), I bring in something to do with my hands. I work on crochet or knitting in simple patterns that I can easily do by touch, or I bring some mending or quilt binding. This allows me to get some useful work done (albeit somewhat slower than normally) while watching the movie. Indeed, if I watch a DVD at home it's generally while getting the same kind of work done; I don't truly believe I have the moral right to slack off even while relaxing, so during my down time I try to get some of my gifts made up. Taking hand work to the movies was a logical extension of what I do at home. I find I get more emotional and psychological benefit out of the movie and the craft work. Calorie-wise it helps as well: when I have something to do with my hands I'm less likely to want sticky or greasy "finger food".

Ha ha ha this is funny.  I never actually bought food/ drink at the movies for the same reason (plus I mostly choose movies that are shorter).  My kids seem to want popcorn, but often we are going during lunch or dinner time.  By "often", I mean 1-2 movies a year.

My eyesight isn't what it used to be.  While at home, on the rare evening where I can watch TV, I can mend or crochet something.  In a theater, I wouldn't be able to manage it.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 12:22:39 PM »

Lol, my thoughts exactly.

Back when I could get a matinee for $4-5 I would go pretty frequently and generally snuck some candy in but mostly because I felt like I was getting away with something. I didn't really want to eat in the theatre because the wrapper noise and chewing sounds just make me feel rude and awkward. On the other hand popcorn does have some appeal but not enough to actually pay for it. I suspect it has to due with the olfactory memories I associate with movie-going.

One more thing, has anyone ever snuck a canned drink into a theatre? Pshhh... *Everyone looks around because they don't sell cans here*

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 12:51:13 PM »
We hit the dollar theater 1-2 /yr as a fun family outing.
I splurge for the monster coke&infinite popcorn; something like $25 all in for the fam. it's a good time.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2017, 01:19:49 PM »
One more thing, has anyone ever snuck a canned drink into a theatre? Pshhh... *Everyone looks around because they don't sell cans here*

Nah. A flask is more my speed: if there's no volunteer for designated driver, we draw straws before heading out.

If I'm going to break the rules I do it up right.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 01:40:47 PM »
Going to the movies has not only gotten expensive (if you figure in the snacks/drinks that folks buy) but the enjoyment factor has gone way down. I'd rather stay at home, eat/drink what I want and pause for potty breaks.

Yes.

Which is why when my husband really wants to see a movie, I send him.

If he wants to see it with me, I ask him how long it is.
If it's >1:40, the answer is "wait till it's on streaming".

And if it's a kid movie, we do a date.  One parent/ one kid, unless it's at the drive-in.

In short, in-theater movies:
Me: 1-3 (generally go out for mom's night)
Hubby alone: 3-5
Kids: 1-2

That's annually

Between Netflix and DVDs, it's cheaper to rent or buy the movie outright than see it during it's initial run.  I remember when buying VHS and having a Blockbuster membership involved an actual ROI calculation.  The VHS was expensive enough that renting it once beforehand was a prudent move.  You also had to wait months after the theater run to wait for the video. Now the DVD is on sale within days of the movie being out of the theater and with streaming a digital rental is just a couple dollars so you don't have to be nearly as patient as years past.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2017, 02:25:04 PM »

Nah. A flask is more my speed: if there's no volunteer for designated driver, we draw straws before heading out.

If I'm going to break the rules I do it up right.

Ahh, memories. My cousin was going to see the midnight release of Dark Knight with his girlfriend. Apparently she was not feeling well because he called me at around 930 saying, "I'm picking you up, be outside in 5 minutes," and then hung up. So I went outside and got her ticket to the movie. He had a bottle of Seagrams with him. I bought us sodas. He poured the entire botle in our 2 cups and we got pretty drunk waiting for the movie to start and sobered up in time to get home.

Yeah I feel no shame sneaking things into the movie theater. I've brought a bag of my own popcorn in, ice cream, cans of sodas, candy, and more. In high school I knew many of the people working at the theater so I was pretty ballsy but even now I don't believe that theaters will do much to stop you unless you are obnoxious about it and very obvious.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2017, 02:33:25 PM »
There's usually a half price ticket day or some kind of deal. I always pay out for popcorn, though. There's nothing in the world like movie popcorn.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2017, 02:41:16 PM »
I'm only 26, but I remember when a regular movie was $6.50 and a special deal was $4.00.  Now whenever we go it's at least $12.00 a head.  Luckily, that's not too often.  About 2-3 times a year.  No popcorn/etc.

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2017, 06:23:25 PM »
We've started seeing more movies, but less than 10 a year.   We always eat before and do not buy food.    I've been getting senior tickets for about $8.50 and regular tickets for about $10.50.   The close theater, which also has recliner seats, is $2 more per ticket so we avoid it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2017, 07:05:34 PM »
The Cineplex Odeon theater near us had a free movie day (choice of four kids movies) last weekend with discount popcorn.  My wife, my son, and I all went to the movies (first time for my son), and we splurged on 2$ worth of popcorn that we all shared.  First time I'd been to a theater in years.  It was OK . . . but I still think that it's better (better sound, better popcorn, overall more enjoyable experience) watching movies in our living room.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2017, 07:56:20 PM »
The best prices, in my opinion, are for the matinee showings. Even the cheap discount theater slashes the price. I wouldn't be able to do much of that before FIRE though: daytime movies won't fit with my schedule.

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2017, 10:56:07 PM »
Where I come from* it's considered rude to eat and drink at the movies. There used to be a theater close to my place that banned drinks/food and also forbid entrance to anyone who was even 1 min late to the screening (whether they had a ticket or not). I miss that place. Real movie fans will understand.

* That place is called "the past"

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2017, 11:25:56 PM »
Becuase there was a time, not so long  ago, when there were NO movies theaters at all in my city ( they had all closed!) I do not ever bring my own food in. I admit to doing that once or twice prior. Now, I buy something from the counter, usually mediocre wine.

We now have several movie theaters in the city. One serves full out food with seat service and  one has an extensive bar. Pretty spiffy.

Matinee tickets are around $5 here, regular price maybe ? $8?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 08:23:10 AM by iris lily »

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2017, 04:02:39 AM »

To see Star Wars: The Last Jedi at Gold Class (I'm not doing this, it's just an example):

$80 Galactic Deal for 2 (cheeseburger dumplings , spring rolls, chicken sliders, sundae and 2 drinks)
$6.50 booking fee
= $146.50

Face punch away, I’ve done this several times. 

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2017, 04:15:55 AM »
I've pretty much completely given up on the cinema. It's an extraordinary scenario - when I worked in a video store around 2002, a rental was five quid, while cinema tickets were maybe six or seven. Watching at home was done on a 14-inch screen through a Scart cable, and DVDs were a huge leap forward in quality. So you could head out to the video rental shop, pay a fiver, and watch a film in standard definition on a screen just over a foot across, or head to the cinema, pay 25% extra, and get a vastly superior experience.

Now, you can rent a major release in full HD for four quid, and watch it on a 40-inch flatscreen TV without having to leave your house. To compete with this, cinemas now charge a tenner or more per ticket for a viewing experience that's arguably inferior to watching at home. It makes no sense at all.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2017, 08:05:20 AM »

An acquaintance did that once. Got thrown out b/c his drink was not packaged like what the theater sold. Cups don't go SSSSSPPT! when you open them. ;)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2017, 08:27:54 AM »

$6.50 booking fee
= $146.50

Face punch away, I’ve done this several times.

I wont punch you. I much prefer the professional,theater inviewing a film. Here at home, or at the home of my friend where we watch a lot of stuff, there are interruptions--dongs, bathroom breaks, etc.

It is odd, but I admit to preferring a film to run uninterrupted while I go to the bathroom or get a drink or whatever. There is something about the rhythm and flow of it. For me, it is distracting to have the thing stopped and startmed up again.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2017, 11:18:49 AM »
Agreed. As a kid and young adult in the '80s and '90s, I lived at the movie theaters.

The only film I've gone to see this year is Logan. And if Hugh Jackman had hung up the claws a year earlier, I might have stayed home for all of 2017.

Just a bad value all around now.

urover

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2017, 07:38:56 PM »
I've gone to a theater a total of 0 times this year. Between annoying cellphone users, chair kickers, chatters who won't shut up, moms that explain the movie to their kids all along, expensive tickets, tiny-ass screens and awful TV-like sound systems, I figured I'm happy watching what I want to watch 3-6 months later when it is on Netflix or what-have-you in the comfort of my home with an unlimited number of drink and food offerings and a speaker that sounds waay better than multiplex ones. Pause, play, potty, stretch, everything's possible.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2017, 08:16:58 PM »
I don't go to the movie theater anymore.  Perhaps 1-2 times per year tops.  When I go, I bring my own small snack like candy, though I admit last time, my mom brought us sandwich bags of Skinny Pop.  Besides all that, my brother is a member of SAG-AFTRA and he receives DVDs of all the best movies in the November/December time frame, so we can watch those for free.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2017, 05:29:24 AM »

An acquaintance did that once. Got thrown out b/c his drink was not packaged like what the theater sold. Cups don't go SSSSSPPT! when you open them. ;)

I went to the movies with a friend once, both poor students at the time, we took our own food- I brought a sandwich. She brought a can of baked beans- there's nothing quite
As unmistakeable as the sound of a ring pull can of beans opening- I had the giggles for about 10 minutes!

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2017, 06:06:41 AM »
The best prices, in my opinion, are for the matinee showings. Even the cheap discount theater slashes the price. I wouldn't be able to do much of that before FIRE though: daytime movies won't fit with my schedule.

Absolutely. Once we complete the winter migration, in early December, we join the flow of snowbirds entering the weekday matinees.  Usually $6-8 for the same movie that will be $12-15 a few hours later.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2017, 06:16:57 AM »

I went to the movies with a friend once, both poor students at the time, we took our own food- I brought a sandwich. She brought a can of baked beans- there's nothing quite
As unmistakeable as the sound of a ring pull can of beans opening- I had the giggles for about 10 minutes!
She's loading up... stinky and loud!

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2017, 08:36:32 AM »
I do enjoy the movie theater experience.  How to make it cheaper? 

- Go early in the day when tickets are MUCH less expensive
- Eat before you go
- Stick to actual snacks.  Who in the world wants sliders at the movies?
- Sometimes we get popcorn ... we get the big popcorn that allows you a refill

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2017, 09:06:51 AM »
I worked for a movie theater for six years that participated in a reciprocal program with the other theaters in town - employees could get "signed in" for movies for free. It was AWESOME. We didn't have a kid then, and we lived in Orlando, land of the beautiful movie theaters, so we went all the time.

Then we moved. Then we had a kid. Then prices skyrocketed. This past summer we saw exactly ONE movie in the theater: Baby Driver. Totally worth the price of admission. Loved it, and loved seeing it on the big screen as an immersive experience.

But when they renovated to recliner leather seats, they jacked the price so that even Costco VIP passes for a matinee carry a surcharge, and I have a really comfy seat at home, plus a cat to sit on my lap, my favorite inexpensive snacks at hand, and a pause button. The "event" movies don't do much for me, so now we mostly stay home. We do loosen the purse strings to rent movies to stream that in earlier years we might have gone to the movies to see. I figure the $6 (max) is a reasonable price for the two of us to see a movie.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2017, 10:26:00 AM »
There's a program in our city for several months a year when you can see current movies at lots of movie theaters for Euro 2 one night per month.  I go with friends and we sneak in our own popcorn.  Apart from that, during the summer there are lots of outdoor movies which are a bit cheaper and I sometimes score tickets to openings and movie festivals through my work.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2017, 05:48:04 PM »
Our town has a summer movie series in the park for free. BYO snacks, drinks blanket or camp chairs. Different experience than our living room or the movie theater i.e. occasion sirens or loud motorcycles from the nearby street but whatever. ;)

Concession stand at the park is actually affordable too.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2017, 07:34:29 AM »
We are extremely lucky as we still have a small town, mom and pop style place about 15 minutes from home. Took my son to see "IT" Saturday evening, all in with two tickets, large popcorn and soda (free refills), we were at $19.62. Almost felt like 1962... That said, we typically only see one or two movies in the theater each year.

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2017, 12:14:31 PM »
I try and remember that those people buying all the overpriced crap are probably subsidising my ticket price, the way gymgoers should be grateful for the people who sign up for the year but only go to the gym for 6 weeks from Jan 2nd.

But I now see very few films at the cinema, even with paying £2 a year to get 2 for 1 tickets on Tues and Wed (Meerkat Movies), so £11 for 2 BOGOF tickets is not bad - but still not worth it to me for most films, when I take into account how fed up I am if people talk or eat loudly, and how annoyed I am at being dicked about for ~20 mins before hand with adverts before the trailers even start!

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2017, 03:45:34 AM »
I'm only 26, but I remember when a regular movie was $6.50 and a special deal was $4.00.  Now whenever we go it's at least $12.00 a head.  Luckily, that's not too often.  About 2-3 times a year.  No popcorn/etc.

I can remeber when a movie was $2.00.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2017, 08:33:17 AM »
We don't go to a ton of movies in the theater, but when we do, we order gift cards/certificates using credit card cashback. I think last time around, $20 in cashback got us a certificate for 2 tickets and 2 small popcorns. That would be a good deal if you actually paid cash for it, but we paid nothing. I will admit I am a sucker for theater popcorn, so I'll always get some when I go--but hopefully still have enough gift card value to cover it.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2017, 08:40:41 PM »
I try and remember that those people buying all the overpriced crap are probably subsidising my ticket price, the way gymgoers should be grateful for the people who sign up for the year but only go to the gym for 6 weeks from Jan 2nd.

Oh I love this! Whole new perspective!

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2017, 06:55:02 AM »

I can remeber when a movie was $2.00.

We have a CineMark theater near us that operates as a $1 theater and only shows movies that are 3-4 months old - IT'S FANTASTIC! We pay $2 to see a movie that is probably out via Redbox but we enjoy the theater experience and don't mind the additional $10 for popcorn and a drink every once in a while.

Fuzzy Buttons

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2017, 08:50:55 AM »

I wont punch you. I much prefer the professional,theater inviewing a film. Here at home, or at the home of my friend where we watch a lot of stuff, there are interruptions--dongs, bathroom breaks, etc.

What in the world is going on when you are watching movies?  lol

When they were newly retired, my parents once went to a matinee together.  They enjoy bourbon and Coke, so my mom snuck in a small flask and they both bought large Cokes and took their seats.  Wanting to be discrete, my mother waited until the lights had dimmed before pouring some of the bourbon in my dad's cup, then some in hers.  As the movie went on, she could barely taste the alcohol so she kept pouring a bit more in - all to no avail.  Eventually she just decided it was such a large drink that the bourbon was too watered-down to taste.

Well, the lights come up and they get up to leave, and my dad almost pitches over on the floor.  That's when mom realized that in the dark she had accidentally poured all of the bourbon into dad's drink, and he had just spent the last ninety minutes getting blissfully plastered.  Till the day he died dad insisted that he never remembered even seeing that movie.  :)

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2017, 11:11:14 AM »

When they were newly retired, my parents once went to a matinee together.  They enjoy bourbon and Coke, so my mom snuck in a small flask and they both bought large Cokes and took their seats.  Wanting to be discrete, my mother waited until the lights had dimmed before pouring some of the bourbon in my dad's cup, then some in hers.  As the movie went on, she could barely taste the alcohol so she kept pouring a bit more in - all to no avail.  Eventually she just decided it was such a large drink that the bourbon was too watered-down to taste.

Well, the lights come up and they get up to leave, and my dad almost pitches over on the floor.  That's when mom realized that in the dark she had accidentally poured all of the bourbon into dad's drink, and he had just spent the last ninety minutes getting blissfully plastered.  Till the day he died dad insisted that he never remembered even seeing that movie.  :)

That is a great family story to have and they sound like great parents!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!