Author Topic: Most expensive wedding cake ever  (Read 14886 times)

exranger06

• Stubble
Most expensive wedding cake ever
« on: May 22, 2014, 01:34:38 PM »
I'm going to my cousin's wedding this weekend. It's sure to be an epic train wreck of anti-mustachianism. Wanna hear how much the cake costs? You should probably sit down for this one. It costs......

$15,000. Yes, fifteen thousand dollars. And that's supposedly a "good deal! " because if they had gotten a cake from the venue, it would've been much more!

Oh yeah, my cousin and his bride- to- be are not paying for any of this wedding themselves. Their parents are paying for everything, and splitting it roughly equally. On top of that, my cousin was apparently complaining that his fiancee's parents were going to give "only"  $20,000 as a gift!
Oh yes, it's gonna be a shitshow. Can't wait to see what happens this weekend.

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
Re: Most expensive wedding cake ever
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 01:41:48 PM »
Are there going to be 3000 guests at the wedding?

cdub

• Stubble
    • Mortgage Payoff Club
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 01:46:20 PM »

$15,000. Yes, fifteen thousand dollars. And that's supposedly a "good deal! "

Is it plated gold and made from unicorn tears?

Is it caviar and truffle cake?

Wow! Maybe there are diamonds inside of it.

exranger06

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 01:51:18 PM »
I'm going to be thoroughly disappointed if I don't have an orgasm after the first bite.

homeymomma

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 01:52:46 PM »
Holy crap! That's what we spent on our entire (non-mustachian) wedding! I'm so curious- how many guests are going to be there?? How on earth could a cake cost that much? Are you sure you heard that right...? Maybe they meant 1500? I'm grasping here...

exranger06

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 01:58:34 PM »
Holy crap! That's what we spent on our entire (non-mustachian) wedding! I'm so curious- how many guests are going to be there?? How on earth could a cake cost that much? Are you sure you heard that right...? Maybe they meant 1500? I'm grasping here...
Lol my fiancee said the same thing. I confirmed with my mom: it's not fifteen hundred. It's fifteen thousand. I'm not sure how many people are gonna be there. I would imagine less than 500.

cdub

• Stubble
    • Mortgage Payoff Club
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 02:01:16 PM »

Yes that's what we spend about for our rings, wedding, and honeymoon combined 10 years ago.

exranger06

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
My fiancee and I are getting married later this year. Obviously we will not be spending anywhere near this much. My cousin is gonna feel like he's slumming it at my wedding lol!

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 02:52:58 PM »
I had some friends who owned a high-end wedding cake business in the late 90s. At the time they were getting $25 - $30 a slice. I can easily imagine that going as high as $50 a slice now. So if you have 300 people, you get to $15,000. The freaky thing for them was that they were so overwhelmed that they raised prices to try to reduce demand, but it didn't work. The more they charged, it seemed like the more people wanted the cakes.

But these cakes were unbelievably intricate, truly works of art. And the pressure to deliver was unbelievably extreme. They finally had had enough and sold the whole kit and caboodle. Dealing with the bridezillas (and their mothers) eventually became too much.

Daniel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 03:46:34 PM »
So many wedding cakes are terrible, if I could change one thing about my wedding it would have been to try to get my SO not to get a cake. And I believe we only spent $300-ish (not mustachian, but it was a very nice cake), it was relatively good tasting, and no one really ate it. Probably 20% of the cake gotten eaten. I wish we'd just had people make pies!

That'd better be some ridiculous cake, or you get to have the Cake Boss crew at your wedding, or 23 tiers and the wedding couple actually sit on top or something.

Mrs.FamilyFinances

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 11:42:39 PM »
I gasped out loud at that figure!!! $15,000 for CAKE!!!!! Please, eat 3 pieces for me. We spent $85 on fun gourmet doughnuts for our wedding, and people still mention them years later.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 05:26:32 AM »
23 tiers and the wedding couple actually sit on top or something.

Or the couple could come popping out of the cake old-time stripper style.  That might be worth $15K.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 06:28:04 AM »
23 tiers and the wedding couple actually sit on top or something.

Or the couple could come popping out of the cake old-time stripper style.  That might be worth $15K.

My similar thought/desire was a line of men strategically covered in fondant. That still shouldn't run $15k, though.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 11:48:44 AM »
So many wedding cakes are terrible, if I could change one thing about my wedding it would have been to try to get my SO not to get a cake. And I believe we only spent $300-ish (not mustachian, but it was a very nice cake), it was relatively good tasting, and no one really ate it. Probably 20% of the cake gotten eaten. I wish we'd just had people make pies!

You know, when I make carrot cake (maybe a buck or so for ingredients), there's never any left over :-)

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 02:48:29 PM »
I'm going to be thoroughly disappointed if I don't have an orgasm after the first bite.

Assuming 200 guests, that's $75/slice. 400 guests is still $37.50/slice. So, I would expect multiple orgasms per slice. Let us know if that's your experience.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 05:13:03 PM »
My wife's grandmother made our wedding cake from scratch.  Two tiers and CHOCOLATE not white.  Cost was priceless.

exranger06

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 01:14:02 PM »
So I found out there's actually going to be five cakes there. So, they're actually $3k per cake. Not nearly as bad as $15k on a per-cake basis, but still ridiculously expensive. Plus, why the hell do you need 5 cakes?! And they still paid a total of $15k for cake, so it's still outrageous. But it looks like I'll be having 1/5 of the orgasms I was expecting. Wedding begins in a few hours, will let you know how it goes...

homeymomma

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 01:28:48 PM »
So I found out there's actually going to be five cakes there. So, they're actually $3k per cake. Not nearly as bad as $15k on a per-cake basis, but still ridiculously expensive. Plus, why the hell do you need 5 cakes?! And they still paid a total of $15k for cake, so it's still outrageous. But it looks like I'll be having 1/5 of the orgasms I was expecting. Wedding begins in a few hours, will let you know how it goes...

Omg! Take notes!

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 01:40:05 PM »
I want pictures.

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 02:29:23 PM »

Assuming 200 guests, that's $75/slice. 400 guests is still $37.50/slice. So, I would expect multiple orgasms per slice. Let us know if that's your experience.
I don't know the going prices, but I doubt $37.50-75 buys you multiple orgasms anywhere in this country. 

Our cake was not expensive, it was a plain light sponge cake and whipped icing made by the caterer with fresh sliced sugared peaches (one of my favorite desserts).  However, the caterer made it big enough to feed at least twice as many people as attended the wedding.  There was so much left over that some did in fact rot well before we could have possible eaten it.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 04:13:11 PM »
The filling is made from imported fair trade rare chocolate ganache and shredded 1000-dollar bills, I assume?

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 05:28:40 PM »
It is their money. Who really cares?

FIRE Realtor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugal Vegan Mom
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 08:18:51 PM »
Oh wow that is sickening!  Think how many people that amount of money could feed....  healthy food. 

Our cake looked traditional, tiered, white, frosting flowers, little bride & groom on top (my grandmother's statue).  My mom's friend made it as a gift to us, I didn't even consult beyond the general idea on what it looked like, who cares anyway?

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2014, 08:40:37 AM »

I don't know the going prices, but I doubt $37.50-75 buys you multiple orgasms anywhere in this country. 

I dunno, it wouldn't surprise me if you could get a decent vibrator in that price range. So all the advantages of the $15,000 cake, with none of the calories!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2014, 11:03:24 AM »

I dunno, it wouldn't surprise me if you could get a decent vibrator in that price range. So all the advantages of the $15,000 cake, with none of the calories!

You're probably venturing into calorie negative territory there. . .

renaite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 07:51:31 PM »
I can't believe there hasn't been an update on how the cake tasted!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 08:15:14 PM »

Because it's the "Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy", not the "Live and Let Live Wall of MYOB".

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2014, 05:36:55 AM »

Because it's the "Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy", not the "Live and Let Live Wall of MYOB".

LOL. I was personally wondering how much the whole wedding cost, given the cakes costing 15k.

Ohio Teacher

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 09:41:42 AM »

This.  I was going to point out that perhaps Viper made a wrong turn on the internet somewhere to end up at this website.

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 11:10:04 AM »

Nah.  A good vibrator will set you back 1c or so.  And I won't be shopping for one of those on CL!

exranger06

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 11:20:14 AM »
Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been really busy. Well, the cake was pretty damn horrible. And I have a serious sweet tooth, and it's extremely rare that I taste cake that I don't like, so that's really saying something. The frosting was like cardboard (my fiancee said it was "fondant" frosting, never heard of that crap before) . And the pieces were ridiculously small. A $10 sheet cake from the grocery store would've tasted better.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2014, 11:57:02 AM »
Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been really busy. Well, the cake was pretty damn horrible. And I have a serious sweet tooth, and it's extremely rare that I taste cake that I don't like, so that's really saying something. The frosting was like cardboard (my fiancee said it was "fondant" frosting, never heard of that crap before) . And the pieces were ridiculously small. A $10 sheet cake from the grocery store would've tasted better.

So why did it cost so much? was it huge? decorated really well? was it in NYC? Why, please tell us why?

exranger06

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 12:50:59 PM »

So why did it cost so much? was it huge? decorated really well? was it in NYC? Why, please tell us why?
Not huge at all. They were only 2 tiers. The decorations were nothing spectacular. There was no obvious reason why they were so expensive. I'm as baffled as you are.

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »

Fondant is pretty much the most disgusting thing ever. My wedding venue told me that they take the fondant off before they serve the cake. I had to specifically tell them not to take it off of my cake because it wasn't fondant, it was marzipan, which is crazy delicious. They were all set to take it off because they didn't realize it wasn't fondant. I would have been so sad if they had thrown away all my yummy marzipan!

homeymomma

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 01:00:54 PM »
Ew! Fondant is gross, but very normal for a wedding cake. It's hard to make buttercream look as smooth and formal as fondant (although we used buttercream and it tasted and looked amazing!) wierd that you couldn't tell what made it so expensive. And a real bummer the inside didn't even taste good! Wth were they thinking?

Any idea how much the whole thing cost? Just super curious over here. Lol

JoyBlogette

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2014, 01:18:34 PM »

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2014, 01:21:19 PM »

Ugh. I HATE fondant. Yeah, you can do some really cool-looking stuff with it, but it tastes like crap. Give me a good buttercream frosting any day- who cares if the cake looks awesome if it tastes horrible.

For our upcoming reception (got married at the courthouse 2 months ago, throwing a big party for all our friends) I think that the main cake cost like $300 and the two of three groom's 'cakes'- Frozen Yogurt cakes from our favorite froyo place (our personal kryptonite when it comes to being good about both what we eat and what we spend on it...)- will be around $100 total. The main cake will look like sand castle, and the froyo will be crazy tasty since that shop has an AWESOME yellow cake batter flavor that we're having them make the cakes from.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2014, 01:35:05 PM »

Ugh. I HATE fondant. Yeah, you can do some really cool-looking stuff with it, but it tastes like crap. Give me a good buttercream frosting any day- who cares if the cake looks awesome if it tastes horrible.

For our upcoming reception (got married at the courthouse 2 months ago, throwing a big party for all our friends) I think that the main cake cost like $300 and the two of three groom's 'cakes'- Frozen Yogurt cakes from our favorite froyo place (our personal kryptonite when it comes to being good about both what we eat and what we spend on it...)- will be around $100 total. The main cake will look like sand castle, and the froyo will be crazy tasty since that shop has an AWESOME yellow cake batter flavor that we're having them make the cakes from.
good idea Frozen Yogurt cakes, yum

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2014, 02:02:29 PM »
mmmm, never had a froyo cake, but I love ice cream cakes so I'm super intrigued!

re. fondant, last year for Valentine's Day my boyfriend made me a pretty darn amazing cake shaped like a heart made of Legos... the little round nubs were made of marshmallows and the whole thing was covered in red fondant. I was SUPER impressed (he is less of a baker than I am, and for SURE neither of us has never attempted anything with fondant!) and it was an amazingly sweet gesture... but yeah, the fondant was a bit much even for my sweet tooth :)

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2014, 02:20:55 PM »
mmmm, never had a froyo cake, but I love ice cream cakes so I'm super intrigued!

re. fondant, last year for Valentine's Day my boyfriend made me a pretty darn amazing cake shaped like a heart made of Legos... the little round nubs were made of marshmallows and the whole thing was covered in red fondant. I was SUPER impressed (he is less of a baker than I am, and for SURE neither of us has never attempted anything with fondant!) and it was an amazingly sweet gesture... but yeah, the fondant was a bit much even for my sweet tooth :)

We'd been considering an ice cream cake but ice cream makes the wife sick, but froyo doesn't so it seemed like a good plan. We'll see how it works in practice on Sunday! She's made several awesome cakes for me over the last few years, and thankfully largely doesn't know what fondant is or how to do anything with it.

Dr.Vibrissae

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2014, 03:03:41 PM »
My grandmother used to make frozen yogurt cakes at home.  You layer softened frozen yogurt (or ice cream) with a thinly sliced cake or layer of crushed cookies in a spring form pan, and chill it in the freezer until firm. (Sometimes she would use angel food cake and an angel food cake pan, but same basic idea). She would frost them with whipped cream.  You can even do different flavors for the different layers.

I have very fond memories of those cakes.

Numbers Man

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2014, 03:08:30 PM »
I bet that cake maker is FI. I need a gig like that.

homeymomma

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2014, 03:24:22 PM »
I bet that cake maker is FI. I need a gig like that.

But if you bake cakes for a living why would you EVER stop?!? :)

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2014, 09:07:56 PM »
 I've never had a wedding cake I thought was tasty, except when I worked at an Italian bakery and got to eat theirs. The cake itself was buttery, firm and moist. The frosting amazingly light and creamy. The owner was so good at his work. I remember one huge wedding cake he made, in which he spent three days decorating with meringue that he patiently piped in slow, expert strokes. It was the kind of lace that covered all the cake surfaces and hung off the edges like chandeliers. Incredible. And I don't think he charged more than $400 for that cake.
 But $15K for cake covered in play-doh? The baker saw them coming.
 Personally, for my own wedding, I made cinnamon buns from a copycat Cinnabon recipe and stacked them on tiered plates. Very cheap but very tasty. :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2014, 01:56:03 PM »
Fun tip: if you ever have leftover cake, use it to make French toast! Tastes amazing.

Buuuut... Scrape off the fondant first ;)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2014, 12:56:12 PM »
Pictures or it didn't happen.