Author Topic: More spending sins - my bike crack habit  (Read 3188 times)

ACyclist

• Bristles
More spending sins - my bike crack habit
« on: November 12, 2017, 08:58:59 AM »
Fall is where we have often bought new bikes for the fleet.  We would sell the old bikes (one year old), and re-up with the juicy new offerings.  I usually do ok flipping them, because I can buy on pro-deal.  However, it still seems to cost us plenty.

This year I am trying to not buy new bikes, but instead just work on maintenance.

Here is the shopping list of things that we need:

12 speed XX1 chain
11 speed chain
Maxxis DHR 27 tire
Stans bike sealant
XT brake pads
SRAM brake pads
new ear muff
32 Tooth chainring
Pike fork seal kit
Lyric fork seal kit

This is in addition to a couple of tires that are sitting at the shop to pickup.  We got a Butcher and a Purgatory ready to go on.

I was at the shop yesterday and they had the new Specialized CruX on the floor.  It made me quiver a bit. It was the SWORKS model.  I had to stroke it a little, but I walked away.  They need something like a spenders anonymous group.  Hello, my name is X and I am addicted to carbon, aluminum and rubber. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:17:31 AM by ACyclist »

gggggg

• Bristles
Re: More spending sins - my bike crack habit
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 09:37:48 AM »
This is one of the reasons I got out of (higher end) cycling. Not to bash people's sport, but it's a money pit. I was constantly buying new cycling crap. I spent more on cycling than I did on my vehicle. I realize it was my fault for spending that much, but the temptation is real for a lot of us, especially if you compete.

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 10:00:57 AM »
This is one of the reasons I got out of (higher end) cycling. Not to bash people's sport, but it's a money pit. I was constantly buying new cycling crap. I spent more on cycling than I did on my vehicle. I realize it was my fault for spending that much, but the temptation is real for a lot of us, especially if you compete.

Yes, racing is super expensive.  I blew out a rear carbon wheel practicing an enduro race segment at Mt. Bachelor. Ouch.  A very expensive segment.

Another good story of mine, I caught a tree branch through my XX1 derailer and carbon wheel.  It ripped out about half of my carbon spokes (had to send that to Specialized for re-lacing), and I broke my XX1 arm in half.  It was a $400 branch, after my discounts.  I should have dragged it home for a sacrificial burning.  I might have, had I not had to carry my bike down on my back.  I was literally sobbing over that one.

I'm afraid my DH may be starting down this road.  I'm trying hard to keep him from buying new, except for maybe his own bike.   We bought 3 used bikes last week for $335 total -- I had understood that one was for our son, but he decided it was too small.  That one was only $65, though, and we can probably resell for $100 if we decide not to keep it.

Good if you can keep the new bike purchases in check but thanks for supplementally funding the habit of those of us who do buy used!

Your welcome.  Wanna buy a barely used Specialized Fuse pro?  It's a steal at $1600.  <I jest..I jest>
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 11:18:49 AM by ACyclist »

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 10:59:07 AM »
hehe

Scopes sound as spendy as carbon wheels. 

I was also joking about the Fuse being hardly used.  All bikes on Craigs are hardly used.  :)

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 11:17:13 AM »
I have my own little fleet that suits me just fine. A Pedego store opened several blocks from my house. Test rode the fat bike and holy smokes was that fun. I have zero need for an electric bike. But lots of want.

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 11:21:10 AM »
I sold a Fat Boy last year.  They fat bikes are good if you have reliable snow.  They steer horribly, and pedal even worse.  We didn't have enough snow to make it viable and useful.  I like plus better.

I feel that fat bikes are slightly faddish.  It will be interesting to see what happens in a few years in regards to them. 

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 11:31:53 AM »
All the non-electric fat bikes I've ridden just feel sluggish compared to my regular winter bike - but the allure of both pedal assist and a throttle definitely appealed to the gofast part of my brain :)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 09:51:36 AM »
Saw this over the weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdb7KEc7xJI

My ten year old LBS bike has been great.

I've owned $0 to $1000 bikes. Rented a $3K dual suspension mtb.

The big box bikes never lasted. The $3K bike was nicer than I need to ride (nice floaty suspension).

My bike is a customized on the cheap entry level mtb become commuter bike. Strong, smooth and has alot of miles on it now. I don't worry about it getting stolen like I did the rental.

I avoid the upgrade treadmill. Don't read the articles, don't watch the videos, etc. Just ride. Yeah, not competitively.

My youngest child decide last night that they need $100 basketball shoes. There is nothing that those shoes will do for our child better than basic shoes b/c our doesn't play on a team or anything more than pickup games of BB.

Same goes for my bike.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 10:19:51 AM »
It ripped out about half of my carbon spokes (had to send that to Specialized for re-lacing), and I broke my XX1 arm in half.  It was a $400 branch, after my discounts.

I hate non-standard spokes for this reason.  The spoke is a replaceable maintenance item.  Non-standard spokes that require special factory refurbishment to fix are a terrible idea.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 10:38:42 AM »
The visual image inspired by this subject line was disturbing. I found myself thinking: "pull up the Spandex, then there won't be a coin slot." Then I realized we're all Mustachians and some of us have unusual side hustles, so I shouldn't judge.

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 10:50:53 AM »
The visual image inspired by this subject line was disturbing. I found myself thinking: "pull up the Spandex, then there won't be a coin slot." Then I realized we're all Mustachians and some of us have unusual side hustles, so I shouldn't judge.

HAHA!  This made me laugh.  Love the funny. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!