Author Topic: More Coffee Idiocy  (Read 4831 times)

texscrooge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
More Coffee Idiocy
« on: June 01, 2013, 06:53:30 AM »
My co-worker had a case of "bargain" K-cups that he'd gotten a great deal on at Sam's, only "about 40 bucks".  Reading the side of the box, I realized he had just paid "about 40 bucks" for less than 2 lbs. of coffee.  Unable to restrain myself, I burst out laughing, then apologized, saying, "sorry I'm kinda of a cheapskate".  He admits he is too, he "uses the K cups twice". 

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
Re: More Coffee Idiocy
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 08:43:10 AM »
My co-worker had a case of "bargain" K-cups that he'd gotten a great deal on at Sam's, only "about 40 bucks".  Reading the side of the box, I realized he had just paid "about 40 bucks" for less than 2 lbs. of coffee.  Unable to restrain myself, I burst out laughing, then apologized, saying, "sorry I'm kinda of a cheapskate".  He admits he is too, he "uses the K cups twice".

I just bought .75 pounds of coffee beans yesterday for $11/pound.  I could see $20/pound being worth it for really good coffee.  But I only drink really good coffee once or twice a week, so 20 pounds of the good stuff would last me months.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 09:29:02 AM »
It's not the weight that matters, it's the number of cups you can get out of it. That's $0.50/cup. You can get Sam's house brand for $0.40/cup. Doubling up gives you $0.20-$0.25/cup. Not as cheap as drip, but not terrible, especially if you're only making one or two cups each morning.

texscrooge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 04:03:05 PM »
I guess it's not the worst thing I've ever heard - but these Keurig coffee things are just too much for me seems like a fret way to charge three prices. This was not good coffee btw.

jdoolin

• Stubble
    • Just My Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 04:54:41 PM »
I buy some of the best coffees in the world for $5-8 per pound, roast them myself, so I always have it as fresh as possible.  I typically buy coffee once or twice per year.

End cost is $0.10-0.15 per cup.

bUU

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 05:21:59 AM »
K-cups are all about convenience. In a context where convenience has no value, k-cups will practically always fare poorly in comparisons.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 06:18:45 AM »
I bought one of these k-cup machines for my grandmother, who loves coffee but lives alone.  Yes, it's more expensive than brewing a pot for several people to share, but it's less expensive than making a small pot and throwing half of it away.  For a single person, these k-cups may be a sensible option. 

texscrooge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 07:30:41 PM »
I bought one of these k-cup machines for my grandmother, who loves coffee but lives alone.  Yes, it's more expensive than brewing a pot for several people to share, but it's less expensive than making a small pot and throwing half of it away.  For a single person, these k-cups may be a sensible option.

In hindsight, I maybe "idiocy" was inappropriate, I id didn't mean to come across as so judgmental.  That being said, I beg to differ, at $20 a pound, it WOULD be cheaper to throw half a pot away.

DocCyane

• Bristles
  • Keep going. You're doing just fine.
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 07:33:06 PM »
Where I used to work, we bought a Keurig machine because my boss was a complete and utter pig. She insisted on having the old coffee pot in her office, but then never cleaned it out. No coffee for the rest of us, I guess.

Then she was incapable of taking out her used k-cup or adding water to the machine, but at least there wasn't a mold issue.

Considering I was let go from that job, I hope the machine has broken and they are back to moldy coffee.

Guardian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 09:51:38 AM »
The joke to me is that so many people drink coffee.