Author Topic: MoneySense Profiles $240 Keyboard  (Read 15815 times)

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
MoneySense Profiles $240 Keyboard
« on: September 24, 2015, 12:48:51 PM »
"The last keyboard you'll ever need"!  Only $240!  And this is an online money magazine advising people on how to wisely spend/save their cash.  Know what?  I can buy a new keyboard at the Dollar Store for $1.  A good one there costs about $2.  I can get a free one at the local recycling centre if I ask nicely.  Let's just say I go super-fancy and spend $10 on a combo.  That's probably 30 keyboards I can buy in this lifetime (once lost opportunity cost is factored in) versus the $240 Really Cool Keyboard brand.  Bah!! 

Unless you run a computer in a machine shop, you don't need one of these:

http://www.moneysense.ca/spend/tech/the-best-computer-keyboard-youll-ever-buy/

Don't think even the craziest kids will destroy 24 keyboards in your lifetime.   Chances of USB being the preferred connector in 20 years?  I'd say 0%.

The math logic of people who buy is so out of whack with reality.  I understand when people fess-up and say, "Yeah, it was expensive, but I wanted it.  That's all."  At least that's honest rather than this "last soup spoon you'll ever need--only $38" craziness we witness.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
Re: MoneySense Profiles $240 Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 12:52:48 PM »
I'm running a software company. Many of the more serious / geeky programmers  have very special requirements for their own keyboards in terms of keypress feeling, layoyt and many other specificts.

If the best way to keep the programmers happy is to spend one per cent of their annual salary on a fancy keyboard, it's a very cheap investment. 

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 12:58:45 PM »
I'm running a software company. Many of the more serious / geeky programmers  have very special requirements for their own keyboards in terms of keypress feeling, layoyt and many other specificts.

If the best way to keep the programmers happy is to spend one per cent of their annual salary on a fancy keyboard, it's a very cheap investment.

I'm a programmer.  I get pissed off with fancy keyboards the same way an old surfer does when he sees a bunch of 17-year olds show up at the beach with new, fancy, aerodynamic boards.

(And I just knew that the first post would justify a $240 keyboard.  Seems that always happens in the Anti forum.)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 01:46:27 PM »
What's all that different about this keyboard? I don't get it?

Marus

• Stubble
    • My Literature Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 01:54:12 PM »
That's pretty cool that it's dishwasher safe.  I didn't even know that was possible.

I wouldn't pay $240 but good keyboards are definitely worth a few extra bucks.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 02:02:12 PM »
I've used plenty of cheap keyboards over the years.  They're universally awful to type on.  Given that I make my living on a computer... yeah, I'll drop the money on a nice keyboard.  Currently, I prefer the Microsoft Natural 3000 series keyboards.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 02:03:21 PM »
I'm a programmer.  I get pissed off with fancy keyboards the same way an old surfer does when he sees a bunch of 17-year olds show up at the beach with new, fancy, aerodynamic boards.

Each to his own.  I'm libertarian enough to let the guys and gals decide on that aspect of their tools on their own.  Some fancy special chairs, other special keyboards.  Who am I to blame?  :)

(And I used to be a coder myself, back in the day...)

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 02:14:21 PM »

I've used plenty of cheap keyboards over the years.  They're universally awful to type on.  Given that I make my living on a computer... yeah, I'll drop the money on a nice keyboard.  Currently, I prefer the Microsoft Natural 3000 series keyboards.

That one costs under $20!  You could buy 10 of them.  I order them for people at work all the time.  Never tried one, but imagine they're pretty good judging by the volume of requests we get.  But I hope to HELL nobody at work reads about this stupid $240 keyboard because they'll start asking for it.  ....Because competition with the Joneses and stuff.  And want.  Everybody want.

Each to his own.  I'm libertarian enough to let the guys and gals decide on that aspect of their tools on their own.  Some fancy special chairs, other special keyboards.  Who am I to blame?  :)

(And I used to be a coder myself, back in the day...)

Haha...  I would be like, "You sneed something better than what they developed Pac Man on or launched Apollo 13 with?  Well, I'd better see some pretty snazzy code coming out of your cube, son!"

My point was a "money" web site advising the average person they would financially benefit in any way shape or form from these is stupid.  And sort of like MMM advising people they need to buy a cement mixer truck for a DIY project. 

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 02:16:53 PM »
That's pretty cool that it's dishwasher safe.  I didn't even know that was possible.

Man, dishwater safe is great... I have a lot of crumbs in my keyboard!

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 02:19:11 PM »

My point was a "money" web site advising the average person they would financially benefit in any way shape or form from these is stupid.  And sort of like MMM advising people they need to buy a cement mixer truck for a DIY project.

I do agree you probably won't write better code with a fancy keyboard, but you will at least mark your personality.  And if you wanna get fancy, $200 on a keyboard (paid by the employer no less) is probably better than a $60 000 truck in the parking lot.  I don't think anyone of the programmers in my office drive to work - they all walk, bike or take the bus.  [:)]

And for some, it just plain ergonomics.  One of my guys has this baby which reduced some pain:

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 03:13:27 PM »
I've noticed that both of my hands are aching lately, it's the region between your thumb and index finger. It could be my keyboard, does anyone have any suggestions for a good keyboard? I spent nearly most of the working day behind a desk and on my computer.

Cecil

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 03:26:30 PM »
For wrist pain, this is hands down the best keyboard:

http://matias.ca/dvorak/

(I know, I know).

Engineer_Erik

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 11:38:08 PM »
I LOVE my IBM Model M keyboard.  I've had it since 1988 and have only needed to purchase a ps2->USB adapter to keep it running.  This thing is built like a tank and sounds like a typewriter.  I would break down and spend the $125 for a replica if it ever broke.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 05:08:00 AM »
I'm loving my $70 backlit keyboard at work. That's a stupid amount to spend on a keyboard, but now I can keep the fluorescent overheads off, which really cuts down on migraines for me when I work on a screen, and still see the number and functipn keys - never learned to touch type those.

Work paid for it, which helps. But now I "need" one at home for working before sunrise....

However, it's stupid to suggest that any computer anything is the 'last ____ you'll ever need.' That's rationalization, and anyone who's ever noticed anything about the computer industry knows it.

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 08:22:24 AM »
lol! I feel so qualified to post about this.  First of all I'm writing this post using one of those fancy several hundred dollar keyboards.  Yes yes, face punches from all, now I will explain!  My SO's main hobby is building and designing new keyboards, and also refurbishing old ones.  We are both programmers, so as a gift he built me this keyboard and I believe it costed something like 300$.  So here's why my keyboard is super fancy/awesome.  Its got a solid aluminum case (weighs a ton) which is very durable and also very pretty.  It has the slight incline I feel comfortable typing at.  I was able to pick custom switches (which determine how it feels to press a key), so I chose lighter switches that have a small kind of hitch when you press down.  The hitch just provides feedback on when the key is "actualized" or when it sends a signal to the computer.  There's also linear switches which have no actualization point, and also "clicky" switches which have a more pronounced hitch and make clicking sounds when actualized.  I was also able to chose custom LEDs for backlighting which I chose none for now but might change my mind later.  The layout is also different from other keyboards.  I have no unnecessary space between keys, and the arrows plus navigation cluster (insert/del/home/end..) were left off of this one.  FINALLY and the absolute best part about this keyboard is that its PROGRAMMABLE!!  Which means that when I tap spacebar it outputs a space, but when I hold spacebar my keys swap to a whole different layout. I navigate by holding space and typing u(insert), i(home), o(end),p(pgup), and ;(pgdn).  Also if I hold space and type hjkl I get left, down, up, right.  I chose this layout and I can change it at any point in time.  The point is that when I program I spend less time moving my right hand between homerow and the navigation cluster or homerow and the mouse (most of my programming navigation is done by the spacebar hold layer).

Basically, its mostly frivolous but I literally spend 40 hours a week with this keyboard and most of it is spent programming, and I'll NEVER go back.  You'll pry this keyboard from my cold dead hands.  Also, this is probably the last keyboard I'll need :)

P.S. here's a picture of the keyboard I have.  Not my baby, but same model. http://cfile1.uf.tistory.com/image/2604C0415347EBDD1D43F5

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 09:06:19 AM »

(I know, I know).

Always amazes me how badly you can suddenly want things you never knew existed

Must... not... give in... to... unnecessary... impulse buys...

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 09:22:41 AM »
You can just change the keyboard map and use your existing keyboard as Dvorak.

I tried for a while, and got OK at it, but ran into problems where I couldn't use anyone else's computer, couldn't even log in on a qwerty keyboard (password is muscle memory), and I had a bear of a time trying to retain my fingers to type UNIX shell commands on Dvorak.

One or the other. It's really hard to switch between them.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 09:55:55 AM »
I've been wanting a backlit keyboard since I game a lot.  But I have held off since acquiring a spare Hello Kitty keyboard a while ago.  I am rather fond of Hello Kitty it was a gift no laughing please.  And if mine ever dies I've got a spare...

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 12:35:52 PM »
I LOVE my IBM Model M keyboard.  I've had it since 1988 and have only needed to purchase a ps2->USB adapter to keep it running.  This thing is built like a tank and sounds like a typewriter.  I would break down and spend the $125 for a replica if it ever broke.

^^ Well done, man!!  That's epic.  I sort of pride myself on being an "old school" computer guy.  I don't need no fancy keyboard--just gimme some stuff, an Internet connection, and I'll wire a machine together that works.  I appreciate when people make wicked PC systems from basically junk. 

Most of the computer guys these days want to be like Steve Jobs or something, with shiny new stuff.  My generation of computer geeks grew up wanting to be like the pirate renegade hackers in in "Johnny Mnemonic" and "Max Headroom".

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 12:54:27 PM »
I just want to make sure my input doesn't cause wrist pain...

taekvideo

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 03:01:29 PM »
I'm a programmer. Mine cost $30 years ago. Meets my only "special requirements".. needed one that can register more than just a couple of keypresses at the same time (generally called "gaming keyboards"), and also a smaller form factor (buttons closer together, like on a laptop keyboard). And of course I wanted the straight double-size enter key, not that crazy stupid backwards L shape many of them have.

The only reason you'd seriously want that expensive one is for the uses they suggest... I can certainly see it being useful at a hospital or other similar location. But not so much for a personal keyboard.

arpies

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2015, 09:35:56 PM »
I have a rosewill (knock-off of a Filco) with Cherry-brown switches. Cost me like $100 about 5 years back. I'll never go back to a membrane keyboard at home.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2015, 09:59:08 AM »
I'm using free keyboards at home, old Sun Microsystems that were going to be thrown out at work.  :-)

I am kind of picky about keyboards.  I've not yet found a $5 keyboard that wasn't just plain terrible.  Of course, some expensive keyboards aren't worth buying too.  Apple's current keyboards are not cheap and they're just awful.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2015, 01:46:10 PM »
You can get a keyboard at the Dollar Store? Which ones out of curiosity? I have seen them in OfficeMax and their cousins, Best Buy and I am sure Walmart and Target carry them.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2015, 02:25:57 PM »
"Haha...  I would be like, "You need something better than what they developed Pac Man on or launched Apollo 13 with?  Well, I'd better see some pretty snazzy code coming out of your cube, son!""

Careful there, not sure a computer mouse was used in either of those examples and I am rather found of pointing and clicking :-)  GUI's seem to be more than a fad.  Not to say I need a 500$ mouse...

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2015, 09:28:43 PM »

(I know, I know).

Hands down? Good one!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2015, 07:33:03 AM »
I have a rosewill (knock-off of a Filco) with Cherry-brown switches. Cost me like $100 about 5 years back. I'll never go back to a membrane keyboard at home.

My wife has one of these at work and a Das Keyboard (also with Cherry MX Brown switches) at home. Mechanical keyboards are a huge step up in feel. She does a ton of typing so they are well worth the investment. But there's no reason to spend twice as much. The most I think I could consider would be around $150 for a WASD Keyboard.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2015, 12:49:43 PM »
You can get a keyboard at the Dollar Store? Which ones out of curiosity? I have seen them in OfficeMax and their cousins, Best Buy and I am sure Walmart and Target carry them.

Do you have Dollarama where you are?  Sometimes they show up there.  'Course, Dollarama is weird, stock and items come and go all the time.  My dad bought his keyboard there.  He also got a specialty keyboard there for people with vision problems--it has slightly larger bright-yellow keys, with the letter in bold on it.  That one's ugly as hell, but I've had to order them for people at work with vision issues and regular vendors want $30-70 for the same damn one!

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2015, 01:24:45 PM »
A keyboard is a tool. Would you spend extra money on quality tools? I would and I do. Get a nice jack, a nice wrench set, a nice keyboard, a nice chair, a nice monitor.

The keyboard shown in this video is not something that I think is worth $240. It is a gimmick.

With that said, I have spent about $50 and $60 for my two keyboards, respectively. A rubber dome one for work, and a mechanical for home. I type faster and more precisely on it. My hands feel better on it. I use the two all day, almost every day, pretty much from the time I wake to the time I go to sleep. Of fucking course I will spend a few bucks to get the right tool for the job.

Oh, and from an ROI standpoint? If a good monitor and a good keyboard let a programmer or an engineer be only 1% more efficient, considering their total cost during their time at a company and the revenue their work generates, the purchase will pay for itself in a very short time. Practically speaking, a good monitor setup (usually something like 2x 24" professional monitors), good keyboard and mouse, and good chair, will increase productivity so much that they will pay for themselves inside of a single pay period.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2015, 06:33:05 PM »
A keyboard is a tool. Would you spend extra money on quality tools? I would and I do. Get a nice jack, a nice wrench set, a nice keyboard, a nice chair, a nice monitor.

The keyboard shown in this video is not something that I think is worth $240. It is a gimmick.

With that said, I have spent about $50 and $60 for my two keyboards, respectively. A rubber dome one for work, and a mechanical for home. I type faster and more precisely on it. My hands feel better on it. I use the two all day, almost every day, pretty much from the time I wake to the time I go to sleep. Of fucking course I will spend a few bucks to get the right tool for the job.

Oh, and from an ROI standpoint? If a good monitor and a good keyboard let a programmer or an engineer be only 1% more efficient, considering their total cost during their time at a company and the revenue their work generates, the purchase will pay for itself in a very short time. Practically speaking, a good monitor setup (usually something like 2x 24" professional monitors), good keyboard and mouse, and good chair, will increase productivity so much that they will pay for themselves inside of a single pay period.

Yep. Mechanical keyboards are amazing (at least if you're a competent typist - if you rarely use a computer and hunt & peck, then you likely won't care or notice).

"The last keyboard you'll ever need"!  Only $240!  And this is an online money magazine advising people on how to wisely spend/save their cash.  Know what?  I can buy a new keyboard at the Dollar Store for $1.  A good one there costs about $2.  I can get a free one at the local recycling centre if I ask nicely.  Let's just say I go super-fancy and spend $10 on a combo.  That's probably 30 keyboards I can buy in this lifetime (once lost opportunity cost is factored in) versus the $240 Really Cool Keyboard brand.  Bah!! 

Unless you run a computer in a machine shop, you don't need one of these:

http://www.moneysense.ca/spend/tech/the-best-computer-keyboard-youll-ever-buy/

Don't think even the craziest kids will destroy 24 keyboards in your lifetime.   Chances of USB being the preferred connector in 20 years?  I'd say 0%.

The math logic of people who buy is so out of whack with reality.  I understand when people fess-up and say, "Yeah, it was expensive, but I wanted it.  That's all."  At least that's honest rather than this "last soup spoon you'll ever need--only $38" craziness we witness.

I'm sorry, but you can't get a good keyboard for $2. :P

$60, yeah.  $2? Nope.

pstachio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2015, 01:49:34 PM »
I'll second on the Model M. I picked one up from ebay for about $40, and while I could have bought a cheap membrane keyboard new for a quarter of the price, the feel of the M is awesome. It makes me feel like I'm seriously getting stuff done when I hear it clacking away like a typewriter :)

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2015, 08:55:24 AM »
I really like MoneySense and have been a subscriber for about 5yrs now... but some of their articles and case studies are laughable.

Being owned by Rogers you do have take some of their "comparisons" with a grain of salt.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2015, 11:11:36 AM »

$60, yeah.  $2? Nope.

Alright, forced my hand.  What's considered "good" versus what's actually used or considered someone's "favorite" are debatable.  I'll take a pic of my dad's cheap keyboard this weekend--the ugly ass one he got for $2 and you'd have to pry from his cold, dead hands.  They do have other (proper) keyboards around the house and stored in the closet (Dell & HP), but the one he uses daily?  $2.  I'm just sayin' people should think twice (no, make that 400 times, a kick in the ass, and a lick of a cactus) before paying $240 for a keyboard.  :D

My home keyboards are usually pilfered from recycling at work.  People get a new machine, they get a whole new machine and the peripherals are tossed in recycling.  ...And probably get crushed, then sent to India, where some poor barefoot kid with heavy metal poisoning has to take them apart for pennies with a rusty butter knife.  :(

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2015, 11:57:20 AM »

Man, dishwater safe is great... I have a lot of crumbs in my keyboard!

Meh.

I used to help my dad maintain the computer labs at his school in the early 2000s.  Every year we would take all the cheap keyboards, stick 'em in the dishwasher and run them through a cycle.  They would take a couple days to dry out and work fine.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2015, 05:02:10 PM »

$60, yeah.  $2? Nope.

Alright, forced my hand.  What's considered "good" versus what's actually used or considered someone's "favorite" are debatable.  I'll take a pic of my dad's cheap keyboard this weekend--the ugly ass one he got for $2 and you'd have to pry from his cold, dead hands.  They do have other (proper) keyboards around the house and stored in the closet (Dell & HP), but the one he uses daily?  $2.  I'm just sayin' people should think twice (no, make that 400 times, a kick in the ass, and a lick of a cactus) before paying $240 for a keyboard.  :D

My home keyboards are usually pilfered from recycling at work.  People get a new machine, they get a whole new machine and the peripherals are tossed in recycling.  ...And probably get crushed, then sent to India, where some poor barefoot kid with heavy metal poisoning has to take them apart for pennies with a rusty butter knife.  :(

Haha oh sure, I don't see myself ever paying $240 for a keyboard.  $60 was worth it, though.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2015, 11:50:36 AM »

$60, yeah.  $2? Nope.

Took a little longer to post due to laziness, but here she blows--$2 keyboard used daily for the past year and half.  I asked my dad if he thought it was a "good keyboard" and he said, "Yeah, very good--especially for me!"  So, before ordering that $240 (or even $60) model, folks should take a look around.  Maybe there's a gem amongst the trash which would be even more suitable than the Cadillac models.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2015, 11:37:19 PM »
I'm sure that's a great keyboard for people with poor eyesight. I'm not so sure that's a great or even good keyboard for ... those of us who code, etc; that is, to whom a $60 mechanical keyboard would be targeted. Especially not when how good the keys are will determine how our hands feel for the next several decades.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2015, 05:44:59 AM »
I have been working as a programmer for well over a decade.  I've built most of my computers from parts, and have never spent more than 30$ on a keyboard.  There's absolutely no need.  You can get great brand new wired keyboards for that price and cheaper all day long (I don't find any advantage to wireless boards personally.)

If your hands don't feel good after typing for eight hours on a regular keyboard, you have a problem with your keyboarding technique.  Adjust your seat to the right height, adjust your monitor to the right height, and put your wrists at the right angle.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2015, 09:27:39 AM »

$60, yeah.  $2? Nope.

Took a little longer to post due to laziness, but here she blows--$2 keyboard used daily for the past year and half.  I asked my dad if he thought it was a "good keyboard" and he said, "Yeah, very good--especially for me!"  So, before ordering that $240 (or even $60) model, folks should take a look around.  Maybe there's a gem amongst the trash which would be even more suitable than the Cadillac models.

Our definitions of "good" are wildly different.  If you spend a lot of time typing and can't appreciate a mechanical keyboard, more power to you - enjoy your extra $!  It's worth the money for me to have a keyboard I really like.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 09:35:52 AM by JLee »

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2015, 11:11:33 AM »
I have been working as a programmer for well over a decade.  I've built most of my computers from parts, and have never spent more than 30$ on a keyboard.  There's absolutely no need.  You can get great brand new wired keyboards for that price and cheaper all day long (I don't find any advantage to wireless boards personally.)

I've been a programmer for two decades, and like you my favourite systems are those cobbled together from parts (new or used).  Proper Frankenstein machines.  A shiny retina iMac doesn't impress me anywhere near as much as a Raspberry Pi someone's enclosed in Lego and somehow managed to wire to their coffee maker.  If they gave me a new, shiny, latest and greatest keyboard/anything, it'd screw up my mojo.  Wireless mouse?  Yes, sometimes.  At work it's wired, not at home.  I do end up ordering these Evolent "Vertical Mouse" things for lots of co-workers, but I'd go mental trying to get used to that abomination. 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2015, 12:30:30 PM »

I've been a programmer for two decades, and like you my favourite systems are those cobbled together from parts (new or used).  Proper Frankenstein machines.  A shiny retina iMac doesn't impress me anywhere near as much as a Raspberry Pi someone's enclosed in Lego and somehow managed to wire to their coffee maker.  If they gave me a new, shiny, latest and greatest keyboard/anything, it'd screw up my mojo.  Wireless mouse?  Yes, sometimes.  At work it's wired, not at home.  I do end up ordering these Evolent "Vertical Mouse" things for lots of co-workers, but I'd go mental trying to get used to that abomination.

I switched to a vertical mouse a while ago, after I was noticing wrist pain after work. It helped a little, but I've since switched back to a regular mouse that I love and I'm not sore anymore. I have a different job now as well, with less stress and fewer hours actively working, so that may also be a part of it.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2015, 01:10:33 PM »
For me the best thing in keyboard technology was wireless. Annoying to change the batteries, but I love not having a wire attached.

The thing that I'm really waiting on is a separated keyboard with an IBM style mouse on each half--the little nub between the G,H, and B. They have the separated keyboards, but the wire between them isn't long enough--I'd like to have one on each knee, and have the nubby-mouse joystick on each keyboard.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2015, 01:18:27 PM »
For me the best thing in keyboard technology was wireless. Annoying to change the batteries, but I love not having a wire attached.

I'm constantly having problems with my wireless keyboard. It often lags for several seconds and sometimes doesn't register key presses at all. And sometimes the receiver thinks it's getting input when I'm not even typing (even if I turn the keyboard off)... This is my second wireless keyboard as the first one was even worse.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2015, 01:33:23 PM »

The thing that I'm really waiting on is a separated keyboard with an IBM style mouse on each half--the little nub between the G,H, and B. They have the separated keyboards, but the wire between them isn't long enough--I'd like to have one on each knee, and have the nubby-mouse joystick on each keyboard.

Do you often move your keyboard? I'm curious in what instance a cordless one would prove advantageous. Mine sits in the same spot all the time so the cord doesn't bother me at all.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2015, 01:45:17 PM »
I bought a decent Logitech keyboard about seven years ago for $12 or so.  Still works fine.  I told myself I'd upgrade to a a nice mechanical full-of-clackiness keyboard when that one breaks, but that hasn't happened.  Maybe another seven years.

A wireless keyboard is just a bad idea unless you have a reason to move it around all the time.  Wireless anything is generally a bad idea.

Cheap laptops tend to have awful keyboards.  Thinkpads excel in this area.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2015, 02:02:30 PM »
Do you often move your keyboard? I'm curious in what instance a cordless one would prove advantageous.

Playstation and X-Box gamers pretty much need cordless Bluetooth keyboards.  I also occasionally order them for conference board rooms.  ...But yeah, I actually find the cords on regular ones not only sufficiently long but maybe *too* long!  They always seem to get tangled with the other stuff.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2015, 02:03:36 PM »
I bought a decent Logitech keyboard about seven years ago for $12 or so.  Still works fine.  I told myself I'd upgrade to a a nice mechanical full-of-clackiness keyboard when that one breaks, but that hasn't happened.  Maybe another seven years.

A wireless keyboard is just a bad idea unless you have a reason to move it around all the time.  Wireless anything is generally a bad idea.

Cheap laptops tend to have awful keyboards.  Thinkpads excel in this area.

I am quite happy with the keyboard in my (work-provided) Lenovo/ThinkPad Ultrabook. It's still not as good as a real keyboard, but it certainly could be worse.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2015, 02:17:55 PM »

Do you often move your keyboard? I'm curious in what instance a cordless one would prove advantageous. Mine sits in the same spot all the time so the cord doesn't bother me at all.

The look of the cord. And yeah, I do move my keyboard. I change positions a lot, I'm very restless at work.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2015, 06:17:51 PM »
Relevant:

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2015, 06:51:11 PM »
You can pry my Model M from my cold, dead hands. The quality is so much better than today's cheap $5 keyboard and the difference can be felt when typing. I spent less than $10 for it at a Goodwill a decade ago, but I would gladly pay as much as $50 for a well-made keyboard. That $240 one is probably of fine quality as well, but most of the cost is for needless style and flashiness.