Author Topic: Mom spends $25k on son's prom...  (Read 6244 times)

dmac680chi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Mom spends $25k on son's prom...
« on: June 10, 2017, 02:27:32 PM »
http://abc7chicago.com/society/teen-takes-3-dates-to-%2425k-dubai-themed-prom-party-with-camel-6k-lbs-of-sand/2068187/

So this kid brings 3 dates and has a Rolls and Lamborgini to use for prom. Also has 3 outfits for the night...that's crazy and regardless of the mom's success possibly a poor use of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mom spends $25k on son's prom...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 07:31:19 PM »
Stupid, imo. Not too thrilled with the fact he's bringing 3 dates, either. What does that teach the kid about the value of women, relationships etc etc?

dmac680chi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 08:23:07 PM »
Stupid, imo. Not too thrilled with the fact he's bringing 3 dates, either. What does that teach the kid about the value of women, relationships etc etc?

Exactly, how do people manage juggling more then 1 date? Not cool.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 08:24:44 PM »
Reminds me of that show from MTV called "My Super Sweet Sixteen" where spoiled rich kids got massive parties from their parents for their 16th birthday. I saw an episode of that show and I knew that western civilization is on the decline.

dmac680chi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 08:33:23 PM »
Reminds me of that show from MTV called "My Super Sweet Sixteen" where spoiled rich kids got massive parties from their parents for their 16th birthday. I saw an episode of that show and I knew that western civilization is on the decline.

That was my anti-mustacian guilty pleasure show. Such a train wreck of drama

Blonde Lawyer

• Pencil Stache
    • My Student Loan Refi Story
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 08:36:19 PM »
The articles about it are even crazier.  I think this is just a publicity stunt for mom's restaurant.  She said her kid doesn't like to be the center of attention.  Only his real girlfriend went to prom with him.  The other two were just dates for the party.  He had a Quran cake.  I'm guessing that's not really religiously sensitive.  She said she was saving some of the info about what went down for Oprah or Ellen.  She "only" put $8k of her own money toward it.  A neighbor "donated" the sand.  She said she has no idea where he got it and thinks he shoveled it.  So bizarre.

dmac680chi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 08:38:39 PM »
The articles about it are even crazier.  I think this is just a publicity stunt for mom's restaurant.  She said her kid doesn't like to be the center of attention.  Only his real girlfriend went to prom with him.  The other two were just dates for the party.  He had a Quran cake.  I'm guessing that's not really religiously sensitive.  She said she was saving some of the info about what went down for Oprah or Ellen.  She "only" put $8k of her own money toward it.  A neighbor "donated" the sand.  She said she has no idea where he got it and thinks he shoveled it.  So bizarre.

Obviously I didn't dig into it. Glad you did.  Figured there was more. Even 8k is too much for prom let alone 1k personally.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 02:33:10 PM »
Yes, that's the saddest thing.

The second saddest thing is that Mom saved for years to provide this one evening of extravagance for him.  It'd be one thing if she were a richy-rich-rich CEO or business owner for whom 25K is a month's pay ... but she saved for years for this. 

TimmyTightWad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 10:57:17 AM »
This kid lives in North Philly in a $50k rowhome, smh.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 02:06:26 PM »
It's BAAAACCCKKKK!!!

http://www.mtv.com/shows/my-super-sweet-sixteen

That was my anti-mustacian guilty pleasure show. Such a train wreck of drama

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 02:16:21 PM »
This is so strange to me.  Isn't the result of this extreme behavior just making people hate "that" kid? 
I mean, I hated him just reading the headline.  After I read the short article, I hate the mother too.  I can't watch the video.

Is there any kid or adult (other than the mother) that thinks this is in any way cool?  I have to believe that the other two "dates" were somehow compensated for their time.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 07:34:36 PM »
This is so strange to me.  Isn't the result of this extreme behavior just making people hate "that" kid? 
I mean, I hated him just reading the headline.  After I read the short article, I hate the mother too.  I can't watch the video.

Is there any kid or adult (other than the mother) that thinks this is in any way cool?  I have to believe that the other two "dates" were somehow compensated for their time.

I don't feel especially positive towards the mothers of the girls, either, for allowing their daughters to accept this stupid multi-date, harem situation.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 08:46:40 PM »

No, I felt pity for him.  People are going to make fun of him for this thing, and he's going to kick himself later for all this money wasted in one night. 

I find mom repulsive.  She should've known better.

I don't feel especially positive towards the mothers of the girls, either, for allowing their daughters to accept this stupid multi-date, harem situation.
As the mother of girls, I thought of that too.  Perhaps they were blinded by the dollar signs, but I would've pointed out the very obvious flaws of being 1/3 of his date.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 09:08:12 PM »

No, I felt pity for him.  People are going to make fun of him for this thing, and he's going to kick himself later for all this money wasted in one night. 

I find mom repulsive.  She should've known better.

As the mother of girls, I thought of that too.  Perhaps they were blinded by the dollar signs, but I would've pointed out the very obvious flaws of being 1/3 of his date.

As in, not getting knocked up that night? That could be an advantage, depending on the proclivities of the kids.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2017, 05:33:10 PM »
As in, not getting knocked up that night? That could be an advantage, depending on the proclivities of the kids.
Well, I was thinking of the emotional impact of sharing a date with two other girls ... and the social fall-out /being made fun of by other girls ... and the general icky feeling that dates are something that can be "bought".  But, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if this boy expected something physical in return for his, um, investment in the girls' evening. 

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 05:40:29 PM »
Well, I was thinking of the emotional impact of sharing a date with two other girls ... and the social fall-out /being made fun of by other girls ... and the general icky feeling that dates are something that can be "bought".  But, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if this boy expected something physical in return for his, um, investment in the girls' evening.

He didn't make an investment in their evening. All expenses were paid by Mommy. The three young women, meanwhile, might not necessarily have thought of it as a "date" regardless of who paid since it's increasingly common for people to go to proms in groups of three or four.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 07:29:38 AM »
The "three dates" thing could be so many things that are actually not a problem. Perhaps it was a group of friends of the son who didn't want the--ahem--pressures associated with a real date?

dmac680chi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2017, 07:56:45 PM »
Currently watching My Super Sweet 16...good God! No realization of money. This girl had a list of 3 luxury cars. To crazy for a 16 year old

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 10:03:50 AM »
He didn't make an investment in their evening. All expenses were paid by Mommy.
Okay, I see that ... but do you think the teens involved see it that way? 

The three young women, meanwhile, might not necessarily have thought of it as a "date" regardless of who paid since it's increasingly common for people to go to proms in groups of three or four.
That's true, but somehow I think an over-indulged kid like this would consider each girl a "real date".  Can't know for sure.

Currently watching My Super Sweet 16...good God! No realization of money. This girl had a list of 3 luxury cars. To crazy for a 16 year old
Is that show still on?  My oldest used to be into it, but even as a teen she realized it was ridiculous.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 10:12:06 AM »
He didn't make an investment in their evening. All expenses were paid by Mommy.
Okay, I see that ... but do you think the teens involved see it that way? 

After 20 seconds of explanation from their parents? Definitely.

"Lisa, I'm sure you're savvy enough to realize that Joey is a nice kid, but he doesn't make enough money to cover even the cost of the Prom tickets, let alone all these other goodies. His mother is the one who did all the work to earn the money to send you, Joey, and the two other girls in your crew. Make sure you thank her and show your appreciation, because she definitely didn't have to set up such a nice treat for you and she's being very generous."

The three young women, meanwhile, might not necessarily have thought of it as a "date" regardless of who paid since it's increasingly common for people to go to proms in groups of three or four.
That's true, but somehow I think an over-indulged kid like this would consider each girl a "real date".  Can't know for sure.

He might consider things however he wishes. But if his dates don't, he's outnumbered three to one and out of luck unless Mommy also sprang for roofies.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!