Author Topic: Mom refuses to break window to free son from hot car  (Read 11274 times)

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
Mom refuses to break window to free son from hot car
« on: July 14, 2015, 09:54:28 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/mum-refuses-to-break-into-expensive-bmw-to-save-112051946.html

tl;dr - Mom accidentally locks her 3 year old son in a hot car, but refuses to let firefighters break the window to get the kid out because she does not want to damage her expensive BMW. (firefighters do it anyway)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Mom refuses to break window to free son from hot car
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 10:12:09 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/mum-refuses-to-break-into-expensive-bmw-to-save-112051946.html

tl;dr - Mom accidentally locks her 3 year old son in a hot car, but refuses to let firefighters break the window to get the kid out because she does not want to damage her expensive BMW. (firefighters do it anyway)
the stupid, it burns!

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 11:07:48 AM »
Just call in Tyron Biggums on Red Balls:

https://yout.be/hewakHjS9Ts

I just so happened to be watching this clip yesterday and it was the first thing I though of when I read your subject line.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 11:14:59 AM »
"It seems like the car is her real son"

What's that about the things you own actually owning you? >.<

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 02:02:51 PM »
Stunned onlookers looked on in horror as the toddler cried inside the vehicle as the oxygen levels rapidly went down.

This is over dramatized. I've slept in cars with windows up overnight and didn't asphyxiate.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 02:07:23 PM »
Kids die in hot cars all the time. Its definitely not over-dramatized. 

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 02:09:44 PM »

Did you read the quote? They die of heat not lack of oxygen.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 02:31:58 PM »

He did start to faint, though, and only then did they break the window. So his peril was real even if the writer's grasp of physics was not.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 02:33:48 PM »

He did start to faint, though, and only then did they break the window. So his peril was real even if the writer's grasp of physics was not.

I never said the kid wasn't in danger. Just not from asphyxiation due to depleted oxygen levels.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 02:34:44 PM »

Dead is dead. It was a dangerous situation and not over-dramatized.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 02:35:46 PM »

I never said the kid wasn't in danger. Just not from asphyxiation due to depleted oxygen levels.

Maybe that's why he was fainting!?!  Everyone knows that you can't breathe in a car.  This is why there are so many accidents.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 02:47:41 PM »

I guess this is what happens when you poke fun at someone using an inaccurate description . . . by using an inaccurate description! :)

Back to the original story -- looks like the temperatures in nearby Jinhua were around 90F today. Yeah, this is certainly a bad time to be trapped in a car in the sun.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 02:51:47 PM »

I guess this is what happens when you poke fun at someone using an inaccurate description . . . by using an inaccurate description! :)

?? There was nothing inaccurate about my description. I said the oxygen depletion was over dramatized. Period. Which is true.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 02:52:59 PM »
OTOH, I once was yelled at in a parking lot for leaving my dog locked in a car on a hot day.  Except...the car was running.  Car was a cool 68* inside.  Woman was yelling at me about how terrible I was for leaving the dog in the car because that's all people hear about, while completely lacking the understanding that if the car was running the dog was just fine.  It's SOP for us when we drive to/from vacation with the dog, we go into a FF restaurant and log the dog in a running car.  No other real options. 

Lyssa

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 02:58:10 PM »
Wow. Caring more about your BMW than about your fainting child... Just wow. 'Antimustachian' is the nicest word for that behavior.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 02:59:58 PM »
It doesn't matter who was accurate. It was a flippant comment and we can now move on.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 03:07:39 PM »
Some people just shouldn't reproduce....

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 05:38:40 PM »
Stupidity should be painful, but not to the kid.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 06:42:42 PM »

?? There was nothing inaccurate about my description. I said the oxygen depletion was over dramatized. Period. Which is true.

What's really weird is it wasn't a quote from a bystander interview or something. It was the article itself saying it.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 06:52:59 PM »
Having watched firemen cut a car in half to get someone out, I'm sure they had no remorse (or hesitation) at all in breaking her window when it became clear the child was really in distress. Bless them.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2015, 07:49:15 PM »
Having watched firemen cut a car in half to get someone out, I'm sure they had no remorse (or hesitation) at all in breaking her window when it became clear the child was really in distress. Bless them.

Great pics of cars parked in front of hydrants and the results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=firemen+run+hose+through+car&biw=1280&bih=953&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMI5uqemYHcxgIViZUNCh14qAmN

I knew I'd seen pictures of one, but apparently it's kind of a trend.. I love it!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2015, 08:30:31 PM »
^BMW windows seem to be their favorite to break. Or perhaps that is just a symptom of hydrant-parking trends?

Bumbling Bee

• Stubble
    • Journey of a Thousand Face Punches
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2015, 08:54:13 PM »

Pity they only broke one. "We're sorry, ma'am, but we're going to have to break all the windows, including the windshield because... um... reasons. Also, good luck when you're old and broke and your son decides which nursing home to send you to."

Sofa King

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2015, 09:07:23 PM »
I worry more about dogs left in hot cars.

benjenn

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2015, 07:17:24 AM »
I'm sure the firefighters didn't mind breaking the window at all.  I have a friend who was a fire chief (before he retired early!) and he told a group of kids I had him give a fire safety speech to that one of the best things about being a firefighter was getting to use an axe to break down someone's door to get in to fight a fire.  LOL.  I think he was only partially kidding.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2015, 07:23:10 AM »
:(

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2015, 07:39:24 AM »
I'm sure the firefighters didn't mind breaking the window at all.  I have a friend who was a fire chief (before he retired early!) and he told a group of kids I had him give a fire safety speech to that one of the best things about being a firefighter was getting to use an axe to break down someone's door to get in to fight a fire.  LOL.  I think he was only partially kidding.

I've had a firefighter say they really do take a perverse pleasure in ramming the fire engine into the car parked in front of the fire hydrant to move it out of the way.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 09:38:56 AM »

I've had a firefighter say they really do take a perverse pleasure in ramming the fire engine into the car parked in front of the fire hydrant to move it out of the way.

I can totally believe this. Those parkers are endangering the safety of other people. Plus, when else in life do you get to smash a car up with no consequences? I bet those parkers learned their lessons quick.

Seems relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-fWN0FmcIU

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 12:00:48 PM »

I can totally believe this. Those parkers are endangering the safety of other people. Plus, when else in life do you get to smash a car up with no consequences? I bet those parkers learned their lessons quick.

Seems relevant:

I see your running cars over with a tank, and raise you this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5325_KHII3s

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 01:11:26 PM »
Article is from China.

Questions I have:

Hmmm.....so what kind of 3 year old kid doesn't know how to open a car door?

What kind of 3 year old kid can not be instructed to open the car door?  Duh...on mom for not being able to calmly instruct the kid.

Kids respond to their parents reactions to a situation.  I can't count the number of times I've seen a kid biff up in front of their parents.  If it's a modest hurt, the first thing they seem to do is look at mom and / or dad for their reaction.  If parental unit is freaking out, then kid loses it as well.  If parental unit is - "uh oh, looks like you fell down, it doesn't look too bad - you'll be fine" kid might sniffle a bit, then go back to what they're doing in no time flat.  I suspect there was some of that going on here as well, with the "fainting". 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2015, 01:18:55 PM »
Article is from China.

Questions I have:

What kind of 3 year old kid can not be instructed to open the car door?  Duh...on mom for not being able to calmly instruct the kid.

Kids respond to their parents reactions to a situation.  I can't count the number of times I've seen a kid biff up in front of their parents.  If it's a modest hurt, the first thing they seem to do is look at mom and / or dad for their reaction.  If parental unit is freaking out, then kid loses it as well.  If parental unit is - "uh oh, looks like you fell down, it doesn't look too bad - you'll be fine" kid might sniffle a bit, then go back to what they're doing in no time flat.  I suspect there was some of that going on here as well, with the "fainting".
My 3 year old is generally clipped into his car seat.  He can clip himself in, but he cannot get out.

And I don't think I'd be able to explain to him how to get out of the car.  Not unlock or open the door.  I'd try, for sure, but he'd have to crawl into the front seat.

Catomi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2015, 01:25:09 PM »

My 4.5 year old knows how to unlock/open the door. He's also known how to unbuckle his car seat for at least a year now, but only recently developed the hand strength. Sometimes the buckle sticks and he can't get it open. Maybe the kid was buckled in? (Haven't read the article.)

I read once about someone who left their dog in a parked, not-running car in the sun. The officer who responded gave the guy the choice between a ticket and 5 min of sitting in the car himself. He picked the 5 minutes and didn't make it the whole time before he was begging to be let out. I could see educational experiences like that coming in handy for other people, too.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2015, 01:35:00 PM »
Seems relevant:
That was AWESOME.
I see your running cars over with a tank...
Forgive my nitpicking: that's an armored personnel carrier, most likely supplied by my organization. Such pride! *wipes tear*
Love that Dredd scene. I've actually never seen the entire original but am now tempted to try.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2015, 01:37:54 PM »
Regarding self-escape: Most cars are equipped with child safety locks on the rear doors that can disable the inside door handle from releasing the door. In the event that the safety locks are engaged, the child would need to be instructed to climb into the front of the car first. Depending on the car, this might be a real barrier, especially with precious time ticking away.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2015, 02:03:33 PM »

My 4.5 year old knows how to unlock/open the door. He's also known how to unbuckle his car seat for at least a year now, but only recently developed the hand strength. Sometimes the buckle sticks and he can't get it open. Maybe the kid was buckled in? (Haven't read the article.)

I read once about someone who left their dog in a parked, not-running car in the sun. The officer who responded gave the guy the choice between a ticket and 5 min of sitting in the car himself. He picked the 5 minutes and didn't make it the whole time before he was begging to be let out. I could see educational experiences like that coming in handy for other people, too.

AMAZING. JUSTICE.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2015, 09:57:07 PM »
Stunned onlookers looked on in horror as the toddler cried inside the vehicle as the oxygen levels rapidly went down.

This is over dramatized. I've slept in cars with windows up overnight and didn't asphyxiate.

You won't ever asphyxiate. The old cars were drafty designs and the later (80s and up) cars had body venting in place to prevent carbon monoxide from building up in the interior (a slight draft any time the vehicle is moving). Most cars have a rubber flap behind the bumper end cap that lets the air out.

The risk for the baby was dying from the heat wasn't it?

WildJager

• Bristles
    • Can't complain.
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2015, 11:00:22 AM »

You won't ever asphyxiate. The old cars were drafty designs and the later (80s and up) cars had body venting in place to prevent carbon monoxide from building up in the interior (a slight draft any time the vehicle is moving). Most cars have a rubber flap behind the bumper end cap that lets the air out.

The risk for the baby was dying from the heat wasn't it?

Seems some people's sarcasm meters are a bit off today...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!