Author Topic: Millennials Are Starting to Change the Market  (Read 18714 times)

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Millennials Are Starting to Change the Market
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2016, 12:14:30 PM »
Maybe my millennial is showing, but I am dying to go to Iceland.

sparky28

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2016, 12:39:58 PM »
Maybe my snake person is showing, but I am dying to go to Iceland.

Ditto

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2016, 12:40:46 PM »
Experiences are like stuff that self dispose at the end. Poof straight to (virtual) garbage.

I am a little weary of the "experiences, not stuff" narrative. Both are exactly the same thing. Pay money for things you want or like.

If I buy an xbox, I will anticipate buying it, enjoy playing it, and have memories of having enjoyed it/playing it with friends. At the end, I end up keeping it, but its otherwise exactly the same.

I think that the narrative I brought up earlier is the only way advertising has found to make spending a fortune on a trip/disassembled dinner/ballroom dancing classes seem like a good idea.

I'd rather buy my freedom and have inexpensive experiences rather than buying overpriced commercial "experiences".

Anyone can buy an Xbox but have you been to Iceland?!? Have you had a cocktail engineer make you a drink in an exposed brick bar with exposed ductwork and mismatched chairs? Check it out on my instagram, https://www.instagram.com/lookatme/!

Ahahah! I thought this was serious until I saw the url. Nicely played, Sir!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2016, 01:38:31 PM »

Ditto

Fellow millennial. I went to Iceland last summer and it rocked.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2016, 01:58:43 PM »

Ditto

Fellow millennial. I went to Iceland last summer and it rocked.

Heard amazing things about Iceland, would love to see the country someday. Any country that requires you to hire an expert to ensure that you won't disturb any fairies before building anything in the country is ok in my book.

SirOcelot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2016, 02:21:39 PM »

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/think-millennials-prefer-the-city-think-again/

That's kind of a silly study though:

The numbers moving to/from cities don't mean much in absolute terms, but they can be used for comparing generational trends:

The common narrative isn’t entirely wrong about the long-term trend lines. Millennials are moving to the suburbs at a much lower rate than past generations did at the same age. In the mid-1990s, people ages 25 to 29 were twice as likely to move from the city to the suburbs as vice versa. Today, they’re only about a quarter more likely. But even that slowdown appears to be mostly about people delaying their move to the suburbs, not forgoing it entirely. Today’s 30- to 44-year-olds are actually heading for the suburbs at a significantly faster rate than in the 1990s.

And there are some other supporting data points:

A survey released earlier this year found that most millennials still want a traditional suburban experience, complete with big single-family homes. The American Community Survey, which provides a more granular look than the data released this week, tells much the same story, said Jed Kolko, chief economist of the real estate site Trulia.

“The fastest population growth right now is in the lowest-density neighborhoods, the suburb-iest suburbs,” Kolko said.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2016, 02:31:27 PM »

Me too. If that's a millenial trait, it's one that fits me.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2016, 02:38:42 AM »

Me too. If that's a millenial trait, it's one that fits me.

+1!

Iceland is definitely on my list of places I want to visit.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2016, 11:58:33 AM »
The one thing I'll say to the Iceland-bound Millennials is to be aware of the reality of being that far north - 24 hours of daylight in the summer and 24 hours of darkness in the winter. It screws around with your body "clock" a certain amount. That said, it's kind of fun wandering around in the middle of the night in broad daylight.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2016, 12:08:23 PM »
The one thing I'll say to the Iceland-bound Millennials is to be aware of the reality of being that far north - 24 hours of daylight in the summer and 24 hours of darkness in the winter. It screws around with your body "clock" a certain amount. That said, it's kind of fun wandering around in the middle of the night in broad daylight.

When I lived in Moscow in the summer I spent the first week sleeping on the hard floor with my head inside of my wardrobe to try to get some sleep, haha.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2016, 12:08:36 PM »

I'm just going for vacation someday :)