Author Topic: Millenial kicks ass, complainypants butcher him  (Read 16759 times)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Millenial kicks ass, complainypants butcher him
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2016, 08:12:22 AM »
Part of my job is IT support. I went through a period where my mother thought the "Geek Squad" knew more about computers than I did. She got smarter after they sold her some unnecessary services and screwed up her laptop.

Sometimes family is a person's biggest group of skeptics to win over.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2016, 08:25:56 AM »
Part of my job is IT support. I went through a period where my mother thought the "Geek Squad" knew more about computers than I did. She got smarter after they sold her some unnecessary services and screwed up her laptop.

My botany professor once told us this story.  His wife was concerned about
the brown spots on her new fern plant. He told her not to worry, they were just
spores.  His wife took the plant back to where she purchased it, then came
back home with the news: "The girl at the grocery store said not to worry.
They're just spores."

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2016, 08:43:01 AM »

My botany professor once told us this story.  His wife was concerned about
the brown spots on her new fern plant. He told her not to worry, they were just
spores.  His wife took the plant back to where she purchased it, then came
back home with the news: "The girl at the grocery store said not to worry.
They're just spores."

ha ha funny

So my son is 10. He started math superbowl team last year, which is taught once/ week by volunteers.  His volunteer teacher is my husband, an engineer.

Well, sometimes husband is out of town, or working late, and I end up having to help him with his math club homework.

I take the time to read the problems (word problems) and make sure I know what they are asking, and work through it in my head...because, you know, I'm 46.  It's been awhile.  He'll argue with me and say "you DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO IT!  I NEED HELP".  Chill out, dude, I'm reading the question.  And: I'm an engineer. I know more math than you do!!  I didn't write the problems, so I actually have to read them first.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2016, 08:56:28 AM »
That was a great article. The Money Wizard aka Sean has his head on straight. I wish I was half as savvy as him at his age. I did not get started on the path till I was in my mid-to-upper 30s i.e. the age at which Sean projects to be FI/RE. Still, it is never too late to begin. Best wishes to him and everyone else.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2016, 01:59:03 PM »

I work in IT -- I'm thrilled when a relative decides that. Like I want to spend my weekends deleting coupon printing apps off someone's POS netbook.

Omalley

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2016, 04:12:20 PM »
Very good article! The comments just confirm something I have been thinking for quite some time now: most people can’t read or calculate. If you show them a piece of paper with words and numbers on it they will recognize the words and numbers, they will be able to repeat those words or numbers but they do not UNDERSTAND those words or numbers …

I attended a 'post secondary and scholarship info night' last night with DD.   They had two students speak, who had been successful in getting scholarships, about the process and what they are do in their first year out of high school.   One was terrific.  The second was talking about the large-ish scholarship she had won.   it was $1700 per term, 2 terms/yr, for 4 years.  '...So that's about $5000/year and basically covers my tuition each year'.     

Um, nope,  it is $3400 per year and your tuition is $5000.   

This from the scholarship winner who should know exactly how far her money is going.   I whispered to DD --'I hope she is not taking math.'

Depending on where the second scholarship recipient goes to college, they may be on a tri-mester system like I attended in Ohio which would get her to her about $5000/year value.  If on normal semesters at her school, she could be eligible to take a full-load during a summer (3rd) term as part of her scholarship.   Third option, she could just be really bad at math....

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2016, 08:20:30 AM »
I have been investing my own money for about 15 years now, and a small part of my parents money for about 10 years. My dad knows my stash, he has gotten an update on his investments every year. I have done fine. It is still a totally alien world for him, he is still saying I’ll probably lose it all because the markets cannot be trusted.

I think a common reason for this is a lack of trust or concern about the government interfering in interest rates.

Well don't for get that most of this generation's parents had parents that lived through the great depression and probably were raised in the 60s and 70s with a lot of distrust of the government. (the market crashed in the 30s, JFK, plus Nixon) That makes them leery of investing.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2016, 11:06:54 AM »

I work in IT -- I'm thrilled when a relative decides that. Like I want to spend my weekends deleting coupon printing apps off someone's POS netbook.

I've slowly converted some of my social circle to a combination of Mac and free Mint Linux LTS. Neither have required alot of maintenance once the user is settled in. Now maintaining Windows XP from afar meant everything you said. Win7 less. Uncertain what Win10 will bring. ;)