Author Topic: Middle Class people justifying buying a $96k car  (Read 36309 times)

cdub

• Stubble
    • Mortgage Payoff Club
Middle Class people justifying buying a $96k car
« on: April 05, 2014, 09:36:47 PM »
Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Tesla! And I love their car! But cashing in your retirement or spending your entire salary on a car is just insane.

I love electric cars and own a Leaf which is 100% paid for. ($22k after incentives) I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off and then maybe just maybe if my house is paid off I'll get a used Telsa... 10 years from now.

But the justifications in this thread are sad... and face punch worthy:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/25233-Folks-who-stretched-Will-you-do-it-again-given-another-chance-or-regret-buying-Tesla

Ask me in 20 years when I want to retire and am missing that $100k plus interest in my account!

I love my car. I emptied my savings to buy it cash, because I don't believe in financing luxuries. My practical side does regret it sometimes, but I am still happy I got it.

???? Ouch

I stretched a lot when I got my car in January I absolutely love it, but have wondered if buying it was really a good idea.

Mostly because of 4 things:
My wife is no longer working
My wife is now in graduate school
I want a Nokia Lumia 1020
I want an XBox One

You bought a $96k car and now can't afford a $400 game system? Anyone seeing the irony here?

If I had to cut my cable, and couldn't eat lunch out. And had to cut back other places I wouldn't have done it. But giving up a fancy new phone, and an XBox; that I can handle.

And the Model S I bought was almost equal to my yearly income, but we are a two income family. We also, have cut costs in other areas. No cable/dish, changed mobile phone plans, eat out less, etc).

Anyways, I had to make some lifestyle changes (switched from cable to Netflix, rented out a room so lost some privacy).

Rented out a room so he could get a Model S?

I am not rich, and therefore had to pull money from investments to keep the Tesla payment in line with my Ford Flex payment.

Time of purchase approx salary $65K

I stretched. I had to give my Wife the hard sell to do it. Now we are expecting another baby and the stretch is seeming too much. previously i had a $500 PM Payment inc gas. Now I'm at $1000. My wife is having to sacrifice a nice car when her lease runs out in feb so I can keep the Tesla. Would I do it again? … No because It has caused some major arguments . do I love the car? 1000% yes. alas I have to sell it . but Ill be back for another in a couple of years .

Through a sequence of events, I came into about $50k I didn't have before (inheritance and a layoff severance package). The wife and I shrugged, said it wasn't money we'd expected to have anyway, so we went all out on the Model S. She did sort of roll her eyes at my wanting the Perf option

So, I would have gotten the 40 and been quite happy, but ended up with the P85. As it turns out, the car was nearly free. Thanks to having the money in TSLA, I was able to pay off the car and we've got the same extra $50k we originally had... If I hadn't heard of Tesla, the money would have gone into some index fund that wouldn't have made much, relatively speaking.

I'm not wealthy and spending this much on the Model S means significant sacrifices in other parts of my life and impacts the rest of my family. Our vacations will be much smaller, our gift giving more restrained, our savings are noticeably smaller, etc.

I love Tesla. I love EVs... but geesh.... cashing out your retirement for a CAR?

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
Re: Middle Class people justifying buying a $96k car
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 09:50:10 PM »
I guess that explains why there are about 10 of them in my neighborhood....  Only one fancy Italian sports car, though.

cdub

• Stubble
    • Mortgage Payoff Club
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 09:53:24 PM »
Yes I see them all the time. But I'm in Los Angeles.

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 10:28:17 PM »
" If I hadn't heard of Tesla, the money would have gone into some index fund that wouldn't have made much, relatively speaking."  What??!?  The Tesla makes 8% or so on average per year for the next 30 years?  Where do I sign up to buy shares in a Tesla?

Elyse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 06:16:39 AM »
While most of these excusses are horrible, a few of them didn't seem that bad.

If you have a hobby that is very expensive but enjoyable, would you decide to cut an expense you felt was not bringing you as much happiness?

I agree that at no point should retirement money be touched here. But one guy only changed his mobile phone plan (which he was probably paying too much for anyways), eats out less, and cut the cable.  If cars are his hobby, I don't really see that as a huge sacrifice. 

I don't value cars enough to buy one new (maybe used one day - I do love these cars), but other people don't value my D&D book collection like I do.  Those people putting themselves in strain are being ridiculous, but a few of those comments aren't so bad.

Argyle -

Tesla stock has actually served me quite well! 
Parents gave it to me a year ago as a graduation gift (they wanted me to practice dealing with the stock market).  Not a big individual stock person myself, and who knows how it will perform long term.  But I just decided to get it sit there while I do my own thing with my money. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 06:19:24 AM by Elyse »

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 06:37:07 AM »
I stretched. I had to give my Wife the hard sell to do it. Now we are expecting another baby and the stretch is seeming too much. previously i had a $500 PM Payment inc gas. Now I'm at $1000. My wife is having to sacrifice a nice car when her lease runs out in feb so I can keep the Tesla. Would I do it again? … No because It has caused some major arguments . do I love the car? 1000% yes. alas I have to sell it . but Ill be back for another in a couple of years .

This is going to sound mean, but . . .
I will be surprised if this guy is still married in 5-10 years.  They clearly can't afford it.  Wife said so, said some version of a clear "No, do not buy this car." And then he either just bought it anyway or whined and complained and cajoled until she relented at some tired moment and said "Fine!  If you really want it so bad, just go buy it!  Who cares what I think anyway?"  He is putting his own wants above the needs of his family.  Not cool, bro, not cool.  Yet he plans to do it AGAIN!  Pattern for marital disaster.

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 07:06:22 AM »

This is going to sound mean, but . . .
I will be surprised if this guy is still married in 5-10 years.  They clearly can't afford it.  Wife said so, said some version of a clear "No, do not buy this car." And then he either just bought it anyway or whined and complained and cajoled until she relented at some tired moment and said "Fine!  If you really want it so bad, just go buy it!  Who cares what I think anyway?"  He is putting his own wants above the needs of his family.  Not cool, bro, not cool.  Yet he plans to do it AGAIN!  Pattern for marital disaster.

Good observation. I'm pretty sure I'd rather be happily married without a Tesla than divorced or unhappily married with one. And I think he's starting to realize that.

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 09:35:41 AM »
I had a chance to buy a Tesla for $50k with the 300 mile option with a pre-pay.   My company had just sold (I was an vested employee) and I had the funds.   My wife vetoed the purchase.   

I do have a electric vehicle, paid from bike hobby funds, from outriderusa.com.  It's a pedal-electric recumbent trike.  It gets 40 miles on a 12 cent charge.

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 01:24:22 PM »
Tesla has always claimed that they're eventually aiming for a ~$40k, widely-accessible electric car. I guess folks just don't have patience.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 01:58:40 PM »
Tesla has always claimed that they're eventually aiming for a ~$40k, widely-accessible electric car. I guess folks just don't have patience.

Tesla probably needs those folks without patience to have any chance of halving the price.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 07:14:32 PM »

Tesla probably needs those folks without patience to have any chance of halving the price.

A vehicle that costs $40k is not widely accessible.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 09:49:09 PM »
True, but a lot more accessible than 90k. I'm not a car guy and wouldn't buy it even for 20k, but if I were I could save 40k for one.

yahui168

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 09:54:25 PM »
this is just to give you a picture of how far i stretched...

Time of purchase approx salary $65K

1st car 2001 - 2008 = Protege 5 = $20K
2nd car 2009 - 2013 = Genesis coupe = $32K
3rd car 2013 - now = Tesla Model S = $121K

would i do it again? yep, there is still no car that comes close.

I find this guy's first and second car purchases to be absurd.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 10:38:48 AM »
Good observation. I'm pretty sure I'd rather be happily married without a Tesla than divorced or unhappily married with one. And I think he's starting to realize that.

Based on his financial acumen I don't think he will be able to have a Tesla post-divorce either.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 11:11:56 AM »
Tesla is the cheapest car you can buy because if you bought one in 2013, it is worth about 40% more than you paid!  They are literally worth more used than new due to shortages of supply vs demand.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2014/02/07/tesla-model-s-worth-more-used-than-new/

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 09:35:10 PM »
I feel like one only has a few "hard sells" to use on their spouse per decade (lifetime?), and getting a ridiculously expensive car is not worth using one up.

Someone I know bought a Tesla for environmental reasons. It's especially silly because he bikes to work 3 times a week.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 12:00:33 AM »
Has anyone here driven Tesla? Does it feel somehow different from a normal gasoline car?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 12:39:36 AM »
Has anyone here driven Tesla? Does it feel somehow different from a normal gasoline car?

The incredible thing about electric motors is that they have full torque at 0 rpm.  For example, the Tesla S Performance has 325 lb·ft torque at 0 rpm.  That's probably the biggest difference from an ICE with a lossy transmission.

Here's a graphic from Tesla marketing that kinda shows the difference:

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 12:42:28 AM by dragoncar »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 11:54:38 AM »

A vehicle that costs $40k is not widely accessible.

I can't see myself spending that much money on car, but if it is as nice as their current models I will definitely find myself tempted....

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 12:29:44 PM »
Holy frak! I have a Leaf, which is way cheaper ($500 a month), and I even regret that (the ex talked me into it during a moment of weakness. The cheap paid off car I had was breaking down every month).

I can't even imagine a $1000 a month car payment. And I bet the insurance on it is just insane.

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 12:42:15 PM »
It's so weird how people got roommates, cut cable, avoided unnecessary purchases to do this!  If it weren't for the crazy car purchase, they'd be heading on a very mustachian route!

moestache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 05:20:27 PM »
A neighbour that lives behind me but one house up, lives in a shabby old duplex and has a late model Ferrari. Its crazy, the car is probably worth more than the home.

HopetoFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 10:13:45 PM »
I think most of the comments are pretty silly.  I couldn't read all of them because I was getting annoyed.  DH has talked about getting a Tesla in the future (when it is hopefully "cheaper"), which makes no financial sense to me.  We own a Prius now due to his commute, but his argument about getting a Tesla, in terms of saving money, is ridiculous.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 12:25:38 AM by HopetoFIRE »

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2014, 11:07:34 AM »
If I were going to spend $100K on a car, it most definitely would be something cooler than a Tesla (just my opinion).

cdub

• Stubble
    • Mortgage Payoff Club
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2014, 12:07:20 PM »
If I were going to spend $100K on a car, it most definitely would be something cooler than a Tesla (just my opinion).

Don't say that until you drive one. It's like being shot out of a cannon. (I drove the Roadster) Ridiculously expensive but an amazing car to drive.

kyleaaa

• Bristles
    • Kyle Bumpus
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2014, 01:16:09 PM »

Out of curiosity, what would that be? I can't possibly imagine a cooler car.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2014, 02:19:05 PM »

« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 02:22:46 PM by dragoncar »

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 08:21:33 PM »

1970 Challenger T/A. Also like being shot out of a cannon.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 09:22:08 PM »
" If I hadn't heard of Tesla, the money would have gone into some index fund that wouldn't have made much, relatively speaking."  What??!?  The Tesla makes 8% or so on average per year for the next 30 years?  Where do I sign up to buy shares in a Tesla?

I bought mine at Vanguard.

I enjoy owning my TSLA*, even though I've never driven it!

; )

(*Indirectly via VTSAX, of course)

Recon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 09:37:39 PM »

The '15 Challenger SRT with the new Hellcat motor is rumored to be in the neighborhood of 680HP...you bet I would take that over a Tesla any day of the week.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2014, 04:52:02 AM »
The heck with Tesla and their ridiculously expensive cars.

I'm getting one of these when they come out (low price, look cool, and less than 10% of the cost of a Tesla):

http://www.eliomotors.com/

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2014, 07:41:45 AM »

For sure.  Tesla makes nice stuff, but end of the day it's an electric car and electric cars just don't have the same experience.  The sounds, vibration, and variable power of the gasoline engine is what makes a car *fun* to drive.  Car guys are still buying manual transmissions instead of automatics on the gas side even though the new automatics are faster AND more efficient.  Fast and efficient isn't what the experience is about!

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2014, 08:01:03 AM »
The heck with Tesla and their ridiculously expensive cars.

I'm getting one of these when they come out (low price, look cool, and less than 10% of the cost of a Tesla):

http://www.eliomotors.com/

Whoa thanks for the link. I seriously, seriously want one of these. And the price is right!

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2014, 08:20:59 AM »
I started a thread a while ago about this.  I met someone who complained about not being able to buy anything because they were broke ever since they bought an $80k Tesla and a $360k house.  (This was amidst bragging about being "green" because they were painting their 3000 square foot house with no VOC paint.)  It was an impressive humble brag. 

Plus they didn't want to drive the Tesla in the winter because they didn't want to get snow or salt on it, so it was sitting in the garage.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2014, 09:52:38 AM »
Plus they didn't want to drive the Tesla in the winter because they didn't want to get snow or salt on it, so it was sitting in the garage.

Probably wise to not drive the Tesla in the Winter.  With those fires coming from damage to the underbody I would NOT want to drive one in the Winter around here.  It's not uncommon to hit large chunks of ice that will cause underbody damage.  Beginning of Spring I go around and clean up/reundercoat the bottom of my cars where they've been hit by debris.  There are some pretty good dings in the bottom there and one of the cars has had to have gouges welded closed a couple times.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2014, 09:59:30 AM »
I stretched a lot when I got my car in January I absolutely love it, but have wondered if buying it was really a good idea.

Mostly because of 4 things:
My wife is no longer working
My wife is now in graduate school
I want a Nokia Lumia 1020
I want an XBox One

That was posted in December.  His wife would have had to be applying to graduate schools when they bought the car, so her being out of work shouldn't have been a "surprise".   

Idiots like that are why you should never, ever, ever marry an overaged child.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 10:15:06 AM by SwordGuy »

cdub

• Stubble
    • Mortgage Payoff Club
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2014, 10:11:06 AM »

Probably wise to not drive the Tesla in the Winter.  With those fires coming from damage to the underbody I would NOT want to drive one in the Winter around here.  It's not uncommon to hit large chunks of ice that will cause underbody damage. 

This is misinformation. Those cars are tanks. Have you seen this?

https://medium.com/p/544f35965a0d

Those are a tow ball hitch, ball of concrete, and an alternator being obliterated by Model S's new Titanium underbelly.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2014, 06:31:46 AM »
I agree that the Tesla is a marvel of engineering, but in the true spirit of Mustachianism, if I were in the market for an electric car (and nothing else would do) I wouldn't spend that amount of money on one. You can get very nice conversions... Miatas, etc.... for a fraction of the cost, even with all the comforts like A/C and heat.

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2014, 07:34:03 AM »
    That is nuts! Just plain insanity. $96,000 for a car?  Never in a million years would I do that.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2014, 10:39:44 AM »
    That is nuts! Just plain insanity. $96,000 for a car?  Never in a million years would I do that.
In a million years, you would jump at the opportunity. $96k will be worth nothing, by then :-p

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2014, 11:48:11 AM »

Probably wise to not drive the Tesla in the Winter.  With those fires coming from damage to the underbody I would NOT want to drive one in the Winter around here.  It's not uncommon to hit large chunks of ice that will cause underbody damage. 

This is misinformation. Those cars are tanks. Have you seen this?

I'm glad to see they fixed that problem on the new ones.  Have they gone back and retrofitted all of them on the road, or are there still ticking timebombs driving down the highway?

okashira

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2014, 10:01:11 AM »
There wasn't a problem on the old one. There were only 3 fires, which placed it at lesser fire rate then gasoline cars.
3 fires out of what 40,000 cars now...?

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2014, 11:40:16 AM »
I used to like expensive cars, then I turned 18 and realized that with the exception coke and hookers, a car might be one of the most rediculuos purchases most people make.

Even flying new planes stopped appealing to me.    I liked upgrading from a duchess to a Saab, mostly because it could climb off a short runway on a single engine.    The weather radar and de-ice boots were nice too.    Otherwise, I never got shiny jet syndrome, if a turboprop could pay my salary I really didn't care that I wasn't cruising in the fligh levels.

Same goes with cars.   My 14 year old Toyota Sienna can carry more people and equipment than a tesla, and at less than 5000 miles per year I'm probably polluting less than the average tesla owner who fuels up with coal or natural gas.

kyleaaa

• Bristles
    • Kyle Bumpus
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2014, 06:19:43 PM »

To each his own, I suppose. I would consider a Tesla to be several orders of magnitude cooler than an old Challenger.

sisca

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2014, 10:28:31 AM »
I live in Norway, Tesla's biggest market. Last month it was the top selling car in the country. I think we are estimated to buy almost half of their production. Half. Norway isn't the biggest market for anything except goat cheese (nobody else can stand it, we love it), but Tesla is now depending on our politicians for half of their sales.

Europeans and americans differ a lot when it comes to cars in general. My country differs insanely from everyone, as all cars are taxed at extremely high rates, and especially so high performance cars. But not electric cars. No taxes. So to norwegians, Teslas are cheap. It costs just slightly more than normal, average family car around here. If this changes, sales will tank instantly. Norwegians arent buying an electric car, they are buying an affordable high performance car. The only one available.

And I still would not buy one. I know nothing about its reliability, second hand value, battery life, technology advances in batteries etc. The thing could be worth half its sticker price in a year. And this is a story we know here, as Nissan Leafs have fallen by almost 50 % in price in 3 years. And thats the price of a new car from the dealer. People who bought these new 3 years ago have lost 75 % or more.

I do appreciate people taking all the risk and paying all their hard earned money so that someone can develop more sustainable transportation technologies. I just don't want to do it.

kyleaaa

• Bristles
    • Kyle Bumpus
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2014, 11:02:41 AM »
Norway isn't the biggest market for anything except goat cheese (nobody else can stand it, we love it), but Tesla is now depending on our politicians for half of their sales.

I love goat cheese!

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2014, 12:11:29 PM »
To each his own, I suppose. I would consider a Tesla to be several orders of magnitude cooler than an old Challenger.

I thought this thread blasphemous to begin with, but wow. Several orders of magnitude? Really?

Old Challengers are pretty much as cool as they come! The only thing cooler that I can think of right off of the top of my head would be an old station wagon.

sisca

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2014, 12:36:10 PM »
Norway isn't the biggest market for anything except goat cheese (nobody else can stand it, we love it), but Tesla is now depending on our politicians for half of their sales.

I love goat cheese!

I stand corrected!
Hehehe.

Spudd

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2014, 01:50:35 PM »

I love goat cheese!

Ah but have you tried Norwegian goat cheese? While in Norway on vacation I picked some up as a gift for my foodie aunt, and boy oh boy. That stuff was STINKY. In North America our goat cheese is mild and inoffensive. Not this Norwegian stuff!

sisca

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2014, 02:20:21 PM »
I love the fact that the introduction of goat cheese into this thread completely threw it off topic. But yeah, everybody else makes crap goat cheese.

To go back on topic, in a few years, when these cars become yesterdays news, technology has advanced and this is no longer the latest fad, I wonder just how cheap they will become. Here they might actually become mustachian at some point, as there is so many of them.