Author Topic: Meet FoldiMate: An $800 Robot That Folds Laundry  (Read 10314 times)

MrStash2000

• Stubble
Meet FoldiMate: An $800 Robot That Folds Laundry
« on: June 11, 2016, 07:10:40 AM »
Do you need another useless gizmo to take up space next to your Washer and Dryer? Is so, pre-order now for Folidimate the newest robot-friend that will fold your laundry for you!

The Foldimate will sell for between $700 and $1150 depending on the options.

Nearly 90,000 have registered for pre-order notifications.

http://www.geek.com/news/foldimate-is-the-laundry-robot-that-will-save-you-from-tedious-folding-1657798/

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
Re: Meet FoldiMate: An $800 Robot That Folds Laundry
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 08:07:35 AM »
I don't know whether to laugh or cry (or just curse).

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 08:23:58 AM »
I'm disappointed, I assumed a laundry folding robot meant something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FGVgMsiv1s&t=0m27s

Foldimate is to an actual clothes folding robot as a bread machine is to an actual robotic baker.

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 11:33:34 AM »
I thought this was pretty cool at first but then thought about it a bit. 

1. I admire the engineering of making a machine to fold shirts, though I wonder what the shirt folding failure rate is. 
2. I bet clipping shirts into that thing wouldn't take me much less time than just folding a shirt myself. 
3. the majority of what I fold is underwear, towels, and socks.

At first I was thinking that people would consider this almost as necessary as a dishwasher, but dishwashers can clean 90% of dishes where this folding machine can only do shirts (1/4-1/3 of clothes?).  My conclusion was that it looks nifty but probably isn't worth it.  I'd consider the hassle of finding a place in my small condo for this large machine if it was more like 30-50$.

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 11:45:38 AM »
Well folding clothes is one of my least favorite household chores, but this seems pretty limited.

Also, here's a "Japanese" way to fold shirts which isn't perfect, but is very quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5AWQ5aBjgE

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 04:11:18 PM »
Well folding clothes is one of my least favorite household chores, but this seems pretty limited.

Also, here's a "Japanese" way to fold shirts which isn't perfect, but is very quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5AWQ5aBjgE

Came here to post the same video. It is really fast!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 04:17:01 PM »
There will come a time when Laundry Robot v9.0 is launched, with refined skills and techniques, and costs less than $200. The decision not to get one may be a lot more difficult.

Don't knock these things, tech moves fast and one day, you never know it may become the norm.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 05:39:39 PM »
Too funny!  I think it solved a problem that for most people does not exist. I love robots and have a vacuum and mop one but they can atually do the whole job.  I fold laundry while I watch TV.  If you had a physical disability then this might be a help.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 06:33:24 PM »
More like Foldemort. I don't trust it. Clearly evil and planning a takeover of our country's heartland.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 07:16:38 PM »
I was all for it until I watched the video.  First- it doesn't fold the size I need (we fold our shirts into squares that sit upright in drawers- I used to fold the size this showed, but switched 12 years ago when I got married and DH threw a fit...)  Second- I want to throw the clothes in and let it deal with straightening them out, the hanging looks like a huge pain.

Also, can I get an underwear and sock folding machine?  Pants are the only thing that doesn't annoy me.

I'm trying to convert as much of my laundry to hung up as possible, but DH is holding onto folding.

slowsynapse

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 07:22:09 PM »
I think the machine looks cool but my housekeeper is not going to allow me to automate part of her job!

Thanks also for posting the Japanese folding video.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 03:06:57 PM »
When I saw the initial video I thought "I want one! That is so cool!" and then the MMM part of my brain kicked in and mumbled when they get really, really cheap and someone gives me one that needs a minor repair for free...

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 03:18:33 PM »
I thought this was pretty cool at first but then thought about it a bit. 

1. I admire the engineering of making a machine to fold shirts, though I wonder what the shirt folding failure rate is. 
2. I bet clipping shirts into that thing wouldn't take me much less time than just folding a shirt myself. 
3. the majority of what I fold is underwear, towels, and socks.

At first I was thinking that people would consider this almost as necessary as a dishwasher, but dishwashers can clean 90% of dishes where this folding machine can only do shirts (1/4-1/3 of clothes?).  My conclusion was that it looks nifty but probably isn't worth it.  I'd consider the hassle of finding a place in my small condo for this large machine if it was more like 30-50$.

Wow. I was going to comment these EXACT points.  To add to the "failure rate" point, I wonder how many pieces of clothing get destroyed by it?

If I could take a basket of clothes and literally dump them in a machine and they come out folded and organized and not destroyed... I would probably buy said machine. I HATE laundry.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 03:30:40 PM »
I think this would be much more useful if you could just dump a pile of clothes in and out would come a pile of folded clothes.  socks under ware and all.

GetItRight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 04:20:32 PM »
What a waste. I don't enjoy folding laundry but it's not exactly a hugely time consuming or miserable task. I will have to try the Japanese method, looks awesome. The only really bad part of folding clothes for me is socks. I hate finding the matching sock with matching wear. I would like to toss all my socks and start fresh with a large amount of the same few models and cycle through all to ensure even wear and aging but I'm too cheap for that. In any event, for $800+ that thing should handle socks too, and be fed with a hopper.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 01:10:53 PM »

Not nearly as sleek and sexy as I imagined a laundry folding robot would look like.  Would still have sex with it. 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2016, 01:32:39 PM »
the time spent trying to hang up the shirt on the hook takes longer than folding.  though the third comment on the page about it being an "investment" is fantastic !

"Hmmm at $700-1200, and thinking of how much time this will free up - this actually looks like an investment I would look into."

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 02:20:06 PM »
Instead of having to fold your clothes one by one now I'll have to feed the machine precisely, one by one. Might be easier, but seems limited.

But as a side effect, apparently it will discipline my children for me, so it might be a good deal after all.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2016, 03:01:40 PM »
Who stores dress shirts folded anyways?  Mine go on a hanger and then into the closet.  And agree, the only things really annoying to fold are socks, the rest is no big deal. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 07:28:45 AM »
Who folds socks?  I own about 30 identical pairs of socks, and they all go in one drawer.  I just grab any 2 socks and I know it's a matching set.  They are getting pretty worn though, so I am going to toss them and buy a whole new set soon.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 07:43:17 AM »
If there was a machine that I could take my clothes out of the dryer and throw them into, and they'd come out folded every time... I'd pay a lot for that. $2000 even. This looks like it isn't saving any time though. If it is, it isn't saving much time.

Ah well, I'll continue to take my dress shirts to the dry cleaners, wear them 2-3 times and hanging them up after each wear.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2016, 07:50:16 AM »
It can fold...a whole 12 items at a time! And it claims it can do pants, but it seems like that would require a totally different set of parts. I bet it's vaporware.

Hopefully it's not, and version 10 will cost like $150 and do everything. But I'm betting not.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2016, 08:40:37 AM »
Yeah...I do all my laundry for the week using about 15 total minutes of effort. A load of darks, a load of whites; most of the darks get hung up after the wash to dry. The whites get thrown in the dryer after the wash. This machine seems like way more effort.

A dream machine: throw ALL clothes (including special care and delicates) into a bucket, press a button, and X minutes later...your clothes are washed, dried, and folded, without any need for sorting or running different cycles...sold for about tree fiddy.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2016, 08:52:21 AM »
Who folds socks?  I own about 30 identical pairs of socks, and they all go in one drawer.  I just grab any 2 socks and I know it's a matching set.  They are getting pretty worn though, so I am going to toss them and buy a whole new set soon.

You wear the same socks no matter what pants/shoes/belt you're wearing?  I have brown socks, black socks, and white socks. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2016, 08:58:01 AM »

You wear the same socks no matter what pants/shoes/belt you're wearing?  I have brown socks, black socks, and white socks.

I do have one black pair of dress socks that I wear with my suit.  The only other pants I wear are jeans, or cargo shorts, and I wear my white cotton socks with them.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2016, 12:40:26 PM »
If you skip to about the 1:50 mark in the video posted above, you can see how much difficulty the robot has with socks and the clever (but to my twisted mind very awkward looking) approach they figured out to help it flip socks inside out.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2016, 02:19:32 PM »

I do have one black pair of dress socks that I wear with my suit.  The only other pants I wear are jeans, or cargo shorts, and I wear my white cotton socks with them.

My husband is also on the white socks plan. He has a couple pair of black socks for funerals, but otherwise he always wears boots, anyway. He does wear khakis fairly frequently, but  White socks are just fine with those when you're wearing boots.  I can't tell you how much better it is just dump all the socks in a drawer -  better enough that I'm about to switch myself when a few more socks wear out. I pretty much only wear black socks, anyway ( regardless of the color of the pants – my shoes are always black, so why would I wear different colored socks?) I'll keep a couple of nonmatching pairs suitable for hiking boots.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2016, 02:22:44 PM »

My husband is also on the white socks plan. He has a couple pair of black socks for funerals, but otherwise he always wears boots, anyway. He does wear khakis fairly frequently, but  White socks are just fine with those when you're wearing boots.  I can't tell you how much better it is just dump all the socks in a drawer -  better enough that I'm about to switch myself when a few more socks wear out. I pretty much only wear black socks, anyway ( regardless of the color of the pants – my shoes are always black, so why would I wear different colored socks?) I'll keep a couple of nonmatching pairs suitable for hiking boots.

Black shoes with brown, khaki, or blue pants looks terrible.  I generally wear gray/charcoal and black shoes/belt 2x a week and brown/khaki/navy with brown shoes/belt 2x a week.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2016, 09:29:11 PM »

Black shoes with brown, khaki, or blue pants looks terrible.  I generally wear gray/charcoal and black shoes/belt 2x a week and brown/khaki/navy with brown shoes/belt 2x a week.

Black shoes look fine with khaki (a quick Google shows that Art of Manliness, StyleGuide, and dressing well agree with me - first three sources I checked, then I quit). I don't have any brown or blue pants other than jeans. I'm not matching my shoes to my jeans - that would defeat the point. :)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2016, 06:05:41 AM »
If you skip to about the 1:50 mark in the video posted above, you can see how much difficulty the robot has with socks and the clever (but to my twisted mind very awkward looking) approach they figured out to help it flip socks inside out.

i dont see whats so awkward about that. having this robot around could keep human hand from ever needing to touch latex again!!! and maybe when you're bringing a floozy back from the club he can remind you and install it for you.  just great science at work here.

Splyth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2016, 08:00:55 AM »
Y'know there's easy fix to finding matching socks after washing them.

Just safety pin them together before you toss them in the wash.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2016, 08:25:59 AM »
Y'know there's easy fix to finding matching socks after washing them.

Just safety pin them together before you toss them in the wash.

Safety pinning and unpinning every pair of socks I wash does not sound like an easy fix.

Splyth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2016, 08:49:58 AM »
I cheat and use an extra big safety pin so I can put like 3 or 4 pairs on one.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2016, 11:52:55 AM »
Haha - DH saw this on TV the other day and called me over. It looked...interesting, until we saw that you have to clip the shirts on. Even my DD commented that you can fold a shirt in the same amount of time it would take to clip it on!

I'm trying to convert as much of my laundry to hung up as possible, but DH is holding onto folding.

We hang pretty much everything, even t-shirts. I LOVE it. Much less likely to get wrinkles and so much easier to look for clothes. Before, whenever any of us would pull something out from the bottom of a pile, it would inevitably mess up other clothes. (and yes, I know you can pull things out neatly - but no way my DH or DS would have the patience or interest).

I did have to set up an extra closet system across my entire bedroom wall to have enough hanging space though (older house with only a small closet in the master). LOVE hanging all my clothes!

For travelling, I lay my clothes flat. Sometimes, if space is not at a premium, I even pack my clothes ON hangers (SO much easier to unpack in hotels - just take them out and hang them straight into the hotel closet).

What a waste. I don't enjoy folding laundry but it's not exactly a hugely time consuming or miserable task. I will have to try the Japanese method, looks awesome. The only really bad part of folding clothes for me is socks. I hate finding the matching sock with matching wear. I would like to toss all my socks and start fresh with a large amount of the same few models and cycle through all to ensure even wear and aging but I'm too cheap for that. In any event, for $800+ that thing should handle socks too, and be fed with a hopper.

My DS is in a kids 5, I am a woman's 7, and my DD is a woman's 8. The 3 of us share socks and have for years. I buy the exact same black sports socks so I can always find matches, even when I have to toss socks (when they get holes). It's been SO much better! Of course, my friends laugh at me because I buy a dozen pairs of socks at a time. I don't worry about cycling them through evenly. I buy a dozen pairs, toss them into the drawers, and eventually they all get used at more or less the same rate (my DD is more picky about even wear so she'll match up the newer socks for herself).

I do have a couple of other pairs of specialty socks for various other uses, but 95% of the time, the black sport socks work perfect 95% of the time (even for work as long as I'm wearing boots).

In the transition, I didn't toss my old socks. Just bought a large-ish stack of the new socks and entered them into the rotation. Eventually, the old socks were used up and gone - only a few pairs none of us like are still hanging around.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2016, 12:00:42 PM »
I cheat and use an extra big safety pin so I can put like 3 or 4 pairs on one.
I cheat even more.  I just toss the little things into a mesh laundry bag.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2016, 12:19:28 PM »
We hang pretty much everything, even t-shirts. I LOVE it. Much less likely to get wrinkles and so much easier to look for clothes. Before, whenever any of us would pull something out from the bottom of a pile, it would inevitably mess up other clothes. (and yes, I know you can pull things out neatly - but no way my DH or DS would have the patience or interest).

That is one thing my husband has going for his system- no piles. Everything is folded to be the height of the drawer, and it is "filed" in place instead of stacked.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2016, 09:28:09 PM »
Filing sounds like a rather awesome system. Hanging still sounds easier though :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2016, 01:16:43 AM »
Folding clothes is a really interesting technical problem. I wonder if this device would have industry use (if it works well.)

A folding robot for your house for $800 is, uh, a little excessive, in my opinion.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2016, 09:02:00 AM »
Yeah...I do all my laundry for the week using about 15 total minutes of effort. A load of darks, a load of whites; most of the darks get hung up after the wash to dry. The whites get thrown in the dryer after the wash. This machine seems like way more effort.

A dream machine: throw ALL clothes (including special care and delicates) into a bucket, press a button, and X minutes later...your clothes are washed, dried, and folded, without any need for sorting or running different cycles...sold for about tree fiddy.

Its coming! Looks like we'll be waiting another 20 years though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf7IEVTDjng

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2016, 02:34:35 PM »
I was all for it until I watched the video.  First- it doesn't fold the size I need (we fold our shirts into squares that sit upright in drawers- I used to fold the size this showed, but switched 12 years ago when I got married and DH threw a fit...)  Second- I want to throw the clothes in and let it deal with straightening them out, the hanging looks like a huge pain.

Also, can I get an underwear and sock folding machine?  Pants are the only thing that doesn't annoy me.

My response is quite simple. He can do the laundry.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2016, 05:47:16 PM »

Its coming! Looks like we'll be waiting another 20 years though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf7IEVTDjng

I've seen Boston Dynamics videos before, but that is at least an order of magnitude more impressive than any of the ones I've seen in the past. Thanks!

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2016, 07:53:44 AM »
I wonder what a machine like a Boston Dynamics critter costs? How long until these start to show up on the Hollywood scene? That's why I suggested it would take 20 years. They'll probably fine tune the design sooner than that but then we'll have to wait for the price to come down.

It'll be $40K one year from Boston Dynamics and then the Chinese equivalent will reach the market the next year for $299. And it'll randomly burst into flames of course. Off-brand batteries.

;)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2016, 08:01:32 AM »

My response is quite simple. He can do the laundry.

He does the vast majority of the chores. I have to do something!
(I'm also trying to outsource my vacuuming to a robot...)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2016, 08:12:07 AM »
Roomba? Let us know what you think.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2016, 09:02:16 AM »

I borrowed one, and you still have to vacuum it isn't strong enough.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2016, 10:47:33 AM »
Try the Neato. Substantially stronger vacuum, and it's better about mapping out rooms and covering space in a logical order.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2016, 01:00:50 PM »

I borrowed one, and you still have to vacuum it isn't strong enough.

Were the brushes and filter clean? Ours does great if those items are taken care of once a month.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2016, 01:44:35 AM »
All I could think of while watching this is "That's now how XS makes me fold her laundry. She'll never go for this."  I'm beginning to be domesticated...