Author Topic: Me and Mont Blanc  (Read 19083 times)

CerebralPrimate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Me and Mont Blanc
« on: September 14, 2014, 07:59:40 AM »
The other day I was driving back from lunch with some guys that work for me and they asked if we could stop by the duty free shop (best place to buy booze here). As the guys shopped, I wandered around looking at stuff because I have been off alcohol for over 3 months now (yay me!). I ended up discovering what I thought had to be the single most wasteful idea I'd ever heard of... I mean it was so wasteful that I was literally stunned. I saw in a display case a pen... as in, something you write with... for $670.

"But" I was assured from a suave salesperson "this isnt just a pen, it's a Mont Blanc".

"Just so I understand" I replied, pullin a Bic ballpoint from my pocket "it'll do the exact same thing this does, right? Because I have to be honest, even if it could do that plus have great sex with me, I still wouldnt pay $670 for it."

For some unknown reason, the salesperson's smile faded and they moved away as if I'd said something wrong.

I gotta admit, I'm now mentally stuck on the very notion that this even exists in our world. As a finance guy, I am signing things multiple times a day to authorize this or that. I just cant imagine an uber pen making that any more of an amazing experience.

Can anyone explain this to me?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 08:03:35 AM by CerebralPrimate »

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Me and Mont Blanc
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 08:04:21 AM »
Sure, it would show others how rich and successful you are. Assuming you are into that kind of showing off which doesn't seem to be the case.

CerebralPrimate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 08:11:41 AM »
Hmmm... how rich and successful I am... well, I must not be either then, because at 43 I am just figuring out this pen brand exists. It was so far removed from my reality that I'd genuinely never seen one before. I just found the idea so ludicrous as to be laughable.

Then again, I kind of feel the same way about watches. People spend big money on a Rolex... and it tells time just about the same as a cheap Casio. So to me it makes zero sense at all.

A friend who owns a supposedly nice Rolex, tried to explain it to me once. He said "when you wear a Rolex, people know you're a person of substance". I swear he said that. I responded "I'd rather let people know I'm not a moron that overpays to know what time it is."

Me 1, Rolex 0

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 08:16:12 AM »
You clearly have never lived in an affluent place. I don't own any luxury items myself, but I'm familiar with most brands just by walking around the town. So far the most expensive watch I've seen displayed goes for ca 20,000$… Obviously no one needs a watch that expensive, but clearly some people desire it.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 08:21:43 AM »
You clearly have never lived in an affluent place.

I don't think that this is a fair statement.   Eg., my parents live in the 2nd most affluent area in the US.   My mother is totally unaware of different brands etc.   She just doesn't care and pays the according amount of attention to it.   

CerebralPrimate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 09:03:04 AM »
It might not be locational, but more about experience... I grew up in a military family. Then as an adult, I joined the military. I never knew luxuries like Rolexes or expensive cars or pens that show one's success. Maybe I should be grateful my parents didnt have enough money to ever infuse me with the notion that buying/owning/showing these kinds of things was remotely normal.

Color me "new money", but if I ever pay $670 for a pen I hope someone shoots me in the face... with a bazooka.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 09:09:22 AM »
At work when clients use the pen we have on the desk they very often comment about how well it writes. A Bic pen. Came in a bag with about 20 others. Maybe $5 for the bag?

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 09:22:56 AM »
It's certainly not a personality fault of some kind not knowing about those things, it's just that then you have wealthy co-workers with some being into luxury items you notice and eventually learn about it whether you want it or not. I'm yet to see anyone use a super expensive pen, but plenty of co-workers with Gucci eyeglasses, Prada bags, 500$ jeans etc. Also downtown is full with boutiques selling this stuff and there are price labels in windows. All you need is a bit of curiosity to stop and read them once in a while.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 10:20:21 AM »

"even if it could do that plus have great sex with me..."

As a finance guy

I see your problem.  That pen might be more useful if you were a woman.  (Sorry...)

prudent_one

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 11:14:25 AM »
I recognize luxury brand names since they all advertise in Fortune and Forbes (which I get for about $10 a year either through Publishers Clearing House or some "special" renewal offer). No prices ever mentioned.

Read an article about the Hermes brand and how they maintain an aura of exclusivity. One trick they use is to purposefully not have the same product in every store or on their website. The idea is that when a customer sees an item they like in one of their stores, there is subtle pressure to buy it right then, because they can't assume they'll ever find another one in any other Hermes store.  They also make fewer items than they could sell, and give preference to celebrities who they know will end up being photographed with their items.

The reporter doing the story tried to confirm that they have a waiting list for certain items, how one is able to get on the list, and how long one might have to wait to get a certain item, but the salesclerk denied knowledge of any of it.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 03:01:35 PM »
I forget where, but I did read something that illustrated when it might actually make financial sense to have an expensive pen. Say you sign multi-million (or billion) dollar contracts. Having an expensive pen indicates that you take the signing of this contract seriously. The same principle could be used for even the lowly middle-class person signing a mortgage, though he/she probably won't recognize that the pen costs that much. Still, the purpose is to show that the act of signing this document is taken seriously.

Or something to that effect.

Me, quite a few freebie pens cycle through our home. Occasionally when the supply dries up (every few years or so), we buy a bag o' pens. Every once in a while a "nice" (i.e., actually works) one slips through the cracks, I'll hold on to it for dear life; then one of the kids uses it to draw entire portraits on an entire ream of paper, and the ink finally gives out :(

Trirod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 05:15:13 PM »
My brother used to work for Mont Blanc, which is why I have a Mont Blanc briefcase, a watch, a pen and a belt.  I don't notice the quality of any of these items being particularly high. - it's all about the snowflake logo.  The pen was advertised as being made out of "precious resin". My wife, who's a materials scientist, thought this was hilarious..."erm...it's plastic!".

My brother did tell me their gross margin on most of their products was in the 90% range - most of their costs are advertising of course.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 05:34:46 PM »
Actually, I think there is room in the Mustashian universe for a Mont Blanc pen.

After all, it is only $860 - as against $20,000 for the watch someone was talking about or $x000,000 for some expensive car - and each of these three things gives you an air of exclusivity. The Mont Blanc is more noticeable than the car (it is always with you, and the car isn't most of the time) and definitely cheaper than both of the others.

It is also less common - after all, there are a lot of those watches and Porsches around - every pleb has them. So you add a touch of class without much of the price tag - if that makes you happy.

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 06:36:45 PM »
These "aspirational luxury" brands occupy an interesting segment of marketing space. They walk a fine line between exclusivity and affordability. By their very nature they are anti-Mustachian, because most of what you are paying for is social positioning. In the Mustachian world, owning such would only invite scorn.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 08:32:54 PM »
These "aspirational luxury" brands occupy an interesting segment of marketing space. They walk a fine line between exclusivity and affordability. By their very nature they are anti-Mustachian, because most of what you are paying for is social positioning. In the Mustachian world, owning such would only invite scorn.
I remember studying the price elasticity of luxury brands in an economics class and how they try to find that sweet spot between expensive enough t be snobbish but still something people can buy.  Cost of production and standard mark ups didn't figure into the equation.

nordlead

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 07:08:39 AM »
Now, if the sales guy was selling a Fisher Space Pen, he could have told you how superior it is to a regular ball point pen.

They really are nice pens, but at $30/pop and my tendency to lose them I haven't owned one in ~10 years. They right upside down, under water, over grease, you name it. Awesome pen if you do lots of writing (like when I was in university). Not really worth it now.

I also had some fancy pen gifted to me from University (came with some award that I won even though I never applied, one of the top administrators I knew thought I should be entered in for it, so they nominated me). That was a really nice pen too. It wrote really well for years until I accidentally broke the pen. It isn't the outer case that matters, but the cartridge construction. Too bad that isn't the "important" part for most people with fancy pens.

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 08:05:58 AM »
Veblen Good
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

The Montblanc pen is a luxury product that everyone wants BECAUSE it costs so much.  It doesn't necessarily write better than a Bic, but it costs more, thus allowing you to be a member of an exclusive group of in-the-know people who own a Montblanc.  The theory being that if they raised the price from $680 to $1,000 you would have realized how awesome & exclusive it is, and bought it instead of making a snide comment.

That's why the sales person reacted the way they did -- clearly you aren't fit to be a member of the secret society of Monblanc owners :)

tfordon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 11:17:54 AM »
If you do happen to like how the mont blanc writes, you can use their ink refills:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Save-$200-in-2-minutes-and-have-the-worlds-best-wr/

I tried it out, but it wasn't really worth the extra effort.  My favorite pen is still the pilot precise v5 at ~$1.25

CerebralPrimate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 11:42:49 AM »
I think I've just had amazing idea... $490 bottle openers. Sure there might be others out there, but when open a bottle with my new exclusive $490 opener, other will people will instantly realize you are a person of great substance, everything you say is important and that you fart rainbows.

Michread

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 11:58:46 AM »
Oooh,  I have to sell my Mont Blanc once I find it!  I bought it years ago (20+) at Staples for $75 (sales bonus).  WOW, I had no idea they'd gotten so expensive.

DON'T buy an expensive watch because just like cars they are much more expensive to service. 

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 12:22:02 PM »
There are very few options for men to ostentatiously display wealth and privilege, since pieces of jewelry beyond a wedding band and a watch are generally frowned upon. Expensive trinkets like this are the male equivalent to a diamond pendant or earrings.

GoldenStache

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 01:26:08 PM »
I knew a guy that worked at the Mont Blanc HQ.  He was having a hard time staffing his store in China because he couldn't get sales reps to sell the 19K pens because the cost of that pen was twice their annual salary.  They couldn't comprehend having / selling such an expensive pen.

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 05:28:47 PM »
There are very few options for men to ostentatiously display wealth and privilege, since pieces of jewelry beyond a wedding band and a watch are generally frowned upon. Expensive trinkets like this are the male equivalent to a diamond pendant or earrings.

I have actually thought I might start wearing an earring in retirement, though nothing fancy. Just a way to tell the world I no longer work in an uptight work environment.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 06:07:17 PM »
I knew a guy that worked at the Mont Blanc HQ.  He was having a hard time staffing his store in China because he couldn't get sales reps to sell the 19K pens because the cost of that pen was twice their annual salary.  They couldn't comprehend having / selling such an expensive pen.

?  Why didn't they just pay more?

Donovan

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 07:43:19 AM »
So I went and googled Mont Blanc because I had no idea what the brand even really was (well, absurdly expensive pens obviously).  I am now seeing ads for them all over the internet, including on this forum :p I'm not personally against targeted advertising, but dear lord when will they realize that I don't actually want to buy the crap, I just wanted to see how insane they really were?

CaliToCayman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2014, 07:49:03 AM »
everything you say is important and that you fart rainbows.

I already piss excellence... might as well go the distance and get the pen.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2014, 09:08:05 AM »
My brother loved these pens, he wanted one, so my DH and I bought him a $89 one from Staples, he said he liked it a lot and was impressed, but then later admitted he never used it because he didn't want to break it. Grrrr oh well money wasted.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2014, 01:15:24 PM »

A shiny red Ferrari would do it better than any diamond pendant. :)

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2014, 01:27:11 PM »
A shiny red Ferrari would do it better than any diamond pendant. :)

And a 747-8 BBJ with the shiny red Ferrari in the cargo hold would one up that low life that can only afford a Ferrari (and cough, cough, have to mingle with the masses getting on a commercial airliner, even if First Class). 

:-)

Hannah

• Stubble
    • Cookbook Authority
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2014, 01:33:10 PM »

"even if it could do that plus have great sex with me..."

As a finance guy

I see your problem.  That pen might be more useful if you were a woman.  (Sorry...)

That is hilarious and deserves to be pointed out as such. Well done CerebralPrimate- you win the internet in my mind today.

Jane

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2014, 01:49:02 PM »

But but they aren't just for men.

I had an ex-boyfriend buy me a Mont Blanc pen as a gift once about 8 years ago. After we broke up, I sold it on Craigslist (among a bunch of other overpriced status symbols he bought me). I think I listed it for $100. The response was very good. I should have relisted it for higher but I think I made the guy who bought it very happy, which is very sad. $100 for a used pen. Really?

CerebralPrimate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2014, 09:48:57 PM »
Out of morbid curiousity I looked on Ebay yesterday night.. sure enough, plenty of used ones. Even for just $50-$75, I couldnt be bothered.

My Thai gf bought me a pen last Christmas... she's still kind of learning the whole 'gift giving' thing, as it's generally not done in most of their culture. But she bought me a pen, which I continue to use daily. I dont know how much she paid, but I'd be surprised if it were more than $6 or $8. If someone's signing something at my desk and I hand them that pen, they always comment "nice pen, man!". Always. I think it's really just the weight of it (pretty heavy for a pen). Feels very solid. Point is though, people always comment on it.

Ya see, it doesnt need Mont Blanc's name on it for others to think it's a "nice pen"... in fact, this one has MY name on it. Probably cost her $1 extra to have my name stenciled on it. I've never bothered telling her about Mont Blanc because she already thinks us westerners are crazy enough.

OT Sidebar- as an example of her perspective, she believes my parents are crazy because in their retirement community there are turkeys that live in the nearby woods and can often be seen strutting through everyone's front yards, even stopping cars on the road they live on, as they take time strutting across the pavement. People think of them as a nice addition to the community, like the lovely white swans and ducks that frolic in the retention ponds. Yet every thanksgiving, the vast majority of the people living there will go buy a turkey from the grocery store. She points to that as ultimate proof westerners are mentally skru'd up. "Why would you spend your money when you have a holiday meal that comes into your front yard every few days? Or if the turkeys dont come, you can have a duck, easy. Farangs are crazy!"
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 09:51:26 PM by CerebralPrimate »

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2014, 01:05:03 PM »
In a previous life, I was into pens.  I've been into watches and cars too.  My forum nickname is a actually a spin on a pen brand, the Caran D'ache Leman pen. 

Nevermind, I'm a bit more mustachian these days, but last summer I was in a big US city killing some time when I noticed a Montblanc store in an upscale mall nearby.  I walked in and asked about one of their series of fountain pens that I alsmost collected.  The sales woman looked at me and said:

- Sir, please come this way - we keep the writing instruments over here.

So please start calling your Bics "writing instruments" hereafter - it might catch on!  :)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2014, 06:15:30 PM »
In a previous life, I was into pens.  I've been into watches and cars too.  My forum nickname is a actually a spin on a pen brand, the Caran D'ache Leman pen. 

Nevermind, I'm a bit more mustachian these days, but last summer I was in a big US city killing some time when I noticed a Montblanc store in an upscale mall nearby.  I walked in and asked about one of their series of fountain pens that I alsmost collected.  The sales woman looked at me and said:

So please start calling your Bics "writing instruments" hereafter - it might catch on!  :)

Just once I'd like someone to call me sir without adding "you're making a scene"

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2014, 06:28:17 PM »

Just once I'd like someone to call me sir without adding "you're making a scene"

It helps if you wear pants.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2014, 07:58:53 PM »

It helps if you wear pants.

Also consider having a Mont Blanc writing instrument in your pocket to show that you are fancy.

CerebralPrimate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2014, 09:39:39 PM »
Or at the very least a Mont Blanc belt to hold up your pants. All other clothing could be optional so long as you had the right belt.

TonyPlush

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2014, 03:52:25 PM »
An older coworker of mine owns a Mont Blanc. He says it's the only pen he's used for the last 30 years. In some way, I admire the minimalist aspect of buying one quality pen to use for the rest of your life.

That said, out of curiosity I recently visited a Mont Blanc store in the mall and tried out their signature product. I was disappointed. It didn't seem to write any better than most pens I've used and despite the fancy appearance, the whole thing felt pretty plastic. I can usually appreciate an overpriced luxury item for the craftsmanship and performance difference it provides, even if I'd never personally spend my money on it. But as far as I can tell, this one seems to be pure marketing.

My coworker definitely loves his Mont Blanc, so more power to him I guess. As an interesting coincidence, he's actually as old as my grandfather and is still working 5 days a week, so maybe there's a connection there.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2014, 11:29:16 PM »
@TonyPlush it would also depend on the type of pen.  Montblanc sells at least three various kinds: fountain pens, ballpoint pens and rollerballs.  And mechanical pencils. 

Fountain pens do have their fans, and at those the nib (the part that actually puts ink on paper) do vary a bit between models and brands. 

For ballpoint pens and others with a complete cartridge, the cartridge makes for most of the writing feeling.  The pen itself is in that case just a holder for the ballpoint refill cartridge.  Weight, shape and material may affect how it feels to write but in general the writing feeling is very similar across brands.

For a ballpoint pen, the most important aspect for good, nice, reliable writing is frequent use so it don't dry out.  Use the pen every day and it will work good.  Until the ink runs out.  Then you replace the cartridge.

The pen that gave me my forum nickname, the Caran d'Ache Leman Ballpoint (given to me as a gift on my 40th birthday, starting my brief pen collection) is a $400 ballpoint pen, but it uses the same refill cartridge as the Caran d'Ache 849 model which typically costs $15.   The more expensive pen is larger and heavier which fits better in my hand - but it's the same cartridge! Writes the same!

Even before finding MMM, I sort of realized how many pens I have, and how many cheap cheap pens I got in stores, at trade shows etc etc. Most of them plastic of shitty quality.  My first unofficial step towards mustachianism was to vow myself to not accept any new pens in my life until I've used up or lost the ones I have.  I've almost kept this promise for a year now, with the exception being only one pen accepted which had the logo of a friends business on it.

Actually, students of marketing may look at Montblanc for inspiration. If you go back 50 years, my understanding is that they were just one in the crowd of pen manufacturers, selling pens of all price points.  With time, they have upped their offering in terms of price and "luxury" while many other manufacturers have gone under.  Good for them, but you don't have to buy their products.

pdxbator

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2014, 01:49:08 PM »
DON'T buy an expensive watch because just like cars they are much more expensive to service.

I got a Tag Heuer watch as a gift for college graduation. Every time the batter runs out it is $50 to get a new one. I've stopped wearing it and should probably just sell it. Who needs a watch anymore really.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2014, 02:18:47 PM »
I got a Tag Heuer watch as a gift for college graduation. Every time the batter runs out it is $50 to get a new one. I've stopped wearing it and should probably just sell it. Who needs a watch anymore really.

I need a $10 sports watch from Walmart to help time my run.  I want a Rolex Yachtmaster but at that price will have to wait until I have the income that supports the lifestyle that a Yachtmaster exudes.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2014, 02:25:23 PM »
I need a $10 sports watch from Walmart to help time my run.  I want a Rolex Yachtmaster but at that price will have to wait until I have the income that supports the lifestyle that a Yachtmaster exudes.

Woot was having a sale on Rolex watches the other day. I've got to imagine that the overlap between "nerd who impulse purchases stuff at Woot" and "person willing to spend $2k on a watch, sight unseen" is pretty small.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2014, 11:34:59 PM »

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2014, 06:59:05 AM »

Do it on eBay! Or, you can replace the battery yourself... It's not that hard, just need a little tool kit.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2014, 08:03:37 AM »

Do it on eBay! Or, you can replace the battery yourself... It's not that hard, just need a little tool kit.

I got a 1970's diving watch from my grandfather who told me "take them because I'm going to throw them out if you don't" (there were a couple other worthless watches in the collection he was giving me). Went on a watch forum, turns out to be kinda rare, it works, needs some updating but it's solid. A perfect specimen would have been $1,500, but seeing as it needed a bit of 'help' I was able to sell it for $850 and made some enthusiast very happy.

Got a swiss-army watch for graduating high school. I think I wore it once. No idea what it's worth. Will probably sell it eventually. Not really a high priority. Probably a couple hundred but it's in mint condition so I guess it would keep its value for a long time.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2014, 12:19:55 PM »
I've got a solid gold pocket watch which has been passed from father to the oldest son now for four generations as a gift for graduating from a university. I don't plan on having any sons, but I wouldn't sell it either. At least not while my own father is alive. It's the only object I own containing any gold, silver or precious stones...

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2014, 02:13:51 PM »
I've got a solid gold pocket watch which has been passed from father to the oldest son now for four generations as a gift for graduating from a university. I don't plan on having any sons, but I wouldn't sell it either. At least not while my own father is alive. It's the only object I own containing any gold, silver or precious stones...

Would a nephew be next in line?

projekt

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2014, 08:30:46 AM »
I think I've just had amazing idea... $490 bottle openers. Sure there might be others out there, but when open a bottle with my new exclusive $490 opener, other will people will instantly realize you are a person of great substance, everything you say is important and that you fart rainbows.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWAROVSKI-BEETLE-BOTTLE-OPENER-RHODIUM-V1-011840-MINT-BOXED-RETIRED-RARE-/320608897291

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2014, 11:43:19 AM »
I love pens, only because I love calligraphy. I have no issues spending money on calligraphy sets. I've played with Mont Blanc pens in the airport duty-free stores. Nothing special. Besides, what's the point of a fine writing instrument when one's handwriting is illegible.

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2014, 12:09:48 PM »
Did the hack. Absolutely brilliant. I used a G2 Limited ($10) instead of the plastic one ($3)

Feels like a super solid, super smooth pen, that I won't terribly miss if I misplace it.

Anyone try and get a knockoff montblanc online (about $30 + shipping) and use a genuine cartridge in it?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!