Author Topic: McMansion comedy / tragedy  (Read 99710 times)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Re: McMansion comedy / tragedy
« Reply #250 on: September 14, 2016, 11:55:57 AM »
My step-brothers would gather every pillow and blanket in the house into a pile below the balcony, then jump into the pile from said balcony.

5900 sq ft, built in 1994. Master bedroom/bath on the first floor, along with two "office" spaces (one for the adults to work, one for the kids to fart around on the computer), formal living room, formal dining room, kitchen, pantry, breakfast nook, living room, guest bedroom, mudroom, and 4 car garage. Upstairs were 6 bedrooms (1 for each kid and one for grandma), 3 bathrooms, game room, laundry room.

Here's the Google street view. Looks like they grew some trees to spare the rest of the neighborhood. Couldn't hide that car port though! And that dead spot in the grass was there even back when we moved out in 1996.
FWIW, the other houses in the neighborhood don't exactly look like tract homes, either...

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #251 on: September 14, 2016, 12:32:23 PM »

Another wtf element of these houses: the 2nd floor giant landing that is open to the great room via balconies and is often used as the media room so that you can have two TVs blaring in opposition to one another.

I thought the balconies were so that your wee children could hurl projectiles, legos, phones, and each other off of them from above.  Or at least that is the scenario I envision every time I see one.
My step-brothers would gather every pillow and blanket in the house into a pile below the balcony, then jump into the pile from said balcony.

5900 sq ft, built in 1994. Master bedroom/bath on the first floor, along with two "office" spaces (one for the adults to work, one for the kids to fart around on the computer), formal living room, formal dining room, kitchen, pantry, breakfast nook, living room, guest bedroom, mudroom, and 4 car garage. Upstairs were 6 bedrooms (1 for each kid and one for grandma), 3 bathrooms, game room, laundry room.

Here's the Google street view. Looks like they grew some trees to spare the rest of the neighborhood. Couldn't hide that car port though! And that dead spot in the grass was there even back when we moved out in 1996.

The dead spot is where the bodies are buried.

If anyone wants a treat, look at it from above.

I love your balcony-jumping story, and I'm glad all of you survived it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #252 on: September 14, 2016, 12:59:46 PM »

FWIW, the other houses in the neighborhood don't exactly look like tract homes, either...

They look like tract homes to me. They aren't custom

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #253 on: September 14, 2016, 01:17:59 PM »

Another wtf element of these houses: the 2nd floor giant landing that is open to the great room via balconies and is often used as the media room so that you can have two TVs blaring in opposition to one another.

I thought the balconies were so that your wee children could hurl projectiles, legos, phones, and each other off of them from above.  Or at least that is the scenario I envision every time I see one.

The dead spot is where the bodies are buried.

If anyone wants a treat, look at it from above.

I love your balcony-jumping story, and I'm glad all of you survived it.
So same neighborhood--my dad lived in this one for a while after step-mom left him.

1 master bed/bath and one mother-in-law suite. 2 bathrooms total. The rest is all kitchen, dining rooms, living rooms, a study, and a "wine cellar" (it was a closet with wine fridges). Oh and that long narrow part on the left? That is a 6-car garage. But the garage door was on the end facing the street... so if you had all 6 cars in there, you had to move 4 of them to get the innermost 2 out. (It looks like subsequent owners remodeled it with sensible doors.)

But the real winner was the carport it had when my dad bought it. It legitimately looked like a huge ugly beige-adobe gas station--that house was known in the neighborhood as the gas station house. It was taller than the house itself. My dad bought the place super cheap because 1) nobody else would buy it for obvious reasons, and 2) some HOA bylaw made it so whoever bought it had to tear down the carport. ETA: Oh and there was a very large black fungus growing beneath the master shower--somewhat problematic.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 01:24:25 PM by Inaya »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #254 on: September 14, 2016, 01:52:07 PM »

Maybe I'm looking a different neighborhood than you are.  The home in question is bottom center in the attached picture.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #255 on: September 14, 2016, 01:56:08 PM »
Before you wrote gas station I was thinking "commercial property" aka office of some sort. Long ways from a quaint cottage in the woods...

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #256 on: September 14, 2016, 02:04:30 PM »
What I don't understand, in the context of modern architecture, is the complete breakdown of the traditional distinction between public and private space. It's one of the things I dislike about the open floor plan concept.

For me, open floor plans have always been about facilitating togetherness.  In the evening, one of us is usually cooking or cleaning in the kitchen while the other in relaxing in the living/dining room.  If those are completely separate spaces, it cuts off a significant amount of family socializing.  Plus, in a closed off kitchen I feel like I'm just there as a servant to cook and clean in the dungeon.  In the open floor, I'm chatting, watching the same shows as everyone else, casually minding the cooking, and chiming in for help when I need it.

Obviously these are common feelings since it's pretty standard to see a modified traditional floorplan with space for a TV and dining nook in the kitchen.  Personally I'd much rather have just one living room and dining room and just let it all flow together.  I guess I just don't care if my guests see the dirty pots and pans from the dinner I cooked them.

I suffer from an open floor plan in my house. At some point in the future I plan to close off the kitchen, workroom, and laundry areas, which are contiguous and attached to the back entrance, so that there's more peace and quiet. All I'll have to do is wall off the area above the kitchen counter so that it's not visible from the living room. That way, all I have to do to spare my guests the sight of dinner preparations in progress (or unwashed dishes afterwards) is to turn off the light in the kitchen. The public areas (living and dining room, halls, foyer, and access to a bathroom) are also contiguous, which is good for entertaining.

Open floor plan + high ceiling = noise. It's fine if you live alone, but if you have two or more adults it becomes a problem unless you want to live Abbey-Of-Theleme style in which everybody participates in every activity, all the time. That's how it has to be in the public parts of the house. Nobody can study or read in the living room with pots and pans clanging in the kitchen, and the only way to have a private conversation is to withdraw to one of the private rooms in the house. My daughter may eventually have a television, but if so it's got to be in her room. I wouldn't want it in the living or dining area. Her (bleeping) phone and tablet are already enough of a distraction during mealtimes. I do not care to compete with even one more electronic gadget.

When I have guests, the purpose behind entertaining them in my home (as opposed to a restaurant) is because we want to interact with each other. We want to socialize without having to shout over background noise. Some of my friends or family are elderly and have hearing aids. Loud music, electronic yammering, and high levels of background noise cause them to be unable to hear what is being said by the person across from them at the table. That's what makes it difficult or even impossible to dine with, say, my parents in most mainstream restaurants. Everything has to be noisy, clanging, and echoing as much as possible in order to be "hip".

I do like one aspect of the open floor plan: it makes it easier for my mobility impaired friends to get around. My house is wheelchair friendly since it's all on one floor.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache

whiskeyjack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #259 on: September 14, 2016, 08:29:12 PM »

Small world:  while you were jumping off balconies, I was shoveling horse poop about a mile north of there.

A big offender in the McMansion category from that era in Albuquerque was "Tanoan Estates".   I can't speak to the construction quality, but huge houses on tiny lots.  I did some contract archaeology in the surrounding area where we noticed that a big natural wash came out of the mountains, right up to the wall around the place and then just... stopped.    We expected all the houses to float away one day. 

note:  I'm not positive it was Tanoan that had the wash but it was either that one, or another walled community near it.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #260 on: September 14, 2016, 08:47:22 PM »

Small world:  while you were jumping off balconies, I was shoveling horse poop about a mile north of there.

A big offender in the McMansion category from that era in Albuquerque was "Tanoan Estates".   I can't speak to the construction quality, but huge houses on tiny lots.  I did some contract archaeology in the surrounding area where we noticed that a big natural wash came out of the mountains, right up to the wall around the place and then just... stopped.    We expected all the houses to float away one day. 

note:  I'm not positive it was Tanoan that had the wash but it was either that one, or another walled community near it.

Los Ranchos is a weird little corner of reality. You get some very nice, opulent estates and farms that have obviously been around a long time, some gigantic houses on tiny lots, and some stuff that ought to be condemned. And everything in between, all taxed at farm rates. There are even what look like some family compounds.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #261 on: September 15, 2016, 12:23:03 PM »

Maybe I'm looking a different neighborhood than you are.  The home in question is bottom center in the attached picture.

True, I was browsing street view where they seemed more identical (the mailboxes/address markers are the same) and they have one of those little "welcome to the subdivision" signs at the entrance.  But the satellite makes it clear there is variation. 

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #262 on: September 17, 2016, 03:58:10 AM »
Posting to follow! I love that blog :)

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #263 on: September 17, 2016, 07:30:44 PM »
Thank you!!  I'm glad the link provided some amusement.  Here's the actual listing:

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Mc-Lean-VA/51726927_zpid/46465_rid/1690000-1700000_price/5926-5961_mp/globalrelevanceex_sort/38.999909,-77.137242,38.91234,-77.247277_rect/12_zm/

Taxes are $23,406 / year!!  *gulp*

I encourage you all to plug that address into Google Maps. That $1.7 mil gets you a house that is not 100' from a gas station. No wonder the windows in that bathroom are frosted.

Slight correction:  it's right beside TWO gas stations.  So you can easily send the nanny over with a gas can if you forgot to fill up the Hummers.

It still strikes me as incredible that they can ask 1.7M for the monstrosity in the original post given its location right next to a gas station, and only Dr. A called it out.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #264 on: September 17, 2016, 10:04:58 PM »
Thank you!!  I'm glad the link provided some amusement.  Here's the actual listing:

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Mc-Lean-VA/51726927_zpid/46465_rid/1690000-1700000_price/5926-5961_mp/globalrelevanceex_sort/38.999909,-77.137242,38.91234,-77.247277_rect/12_zm/

Taxes are $23,406 / year!!  *gulp*

I encourage you all to plug that address into Google Maps. That $1.7 mil gets you a house that is not 100' from a gas station. No wonder the windows in that bathroom are frosted.

Slight correction:  it's right beside TWO gas stations.  So you can easily send the nanny over with a gas can if you forgot to fill up the Hummers.

It still strikes me as incredible that they can ask 1.7M for the monstrosity in the original post given its location right next to a gas station, and only Dr. A called it out.

Oh no, being right next to the gas station is a major selling point -- that way you can conveniently refuel your SUVs/pimped-out pick-up trucks every time you leave/come home!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #265 on: September 18, 2016, 10:27:45 AM »
Following...because I just can't look away...

Mel70

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #266 on: October 27, 2016, 01:22:07 PM »
Creepy...

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #267 on: October 27, 2016, 02:04:56 PM »
Creepy...
Yes.  I can't understand how today's entry on Cobb County GA missed an arrow to the giant many-legged insect holding up the coffee table in the sitting room.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #268 on: October 27, 2016, 02:30:48 PM »
I dunno--the Cobb house critique seemed to be 95% about the decor.  Bad decor isn't exclusive to McMansions, that's for sure!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #269 on: October 27, 2016, 08:02:44 PM »
It bothers me that she is so friggin' catty and yet cannot spell or doesn't know the proper words.  I realize some of it is ironic (I hope) as in when she points out "A Art", but how do you not know what gingham is.  There are at least 10 instances of calling it gigham.  What is Gigham?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #270 on: October 27, 2016, 11:09:37 PM »
It bothers me that she is so friggin' catty and yet cannot spell or doesn't know the proper words.  I realize some of it is ironic (I hope) as in when she points out "A Art", but how do you not know what gingham is.  There are at least 10 instances of calling it gigham.  What is Gigham?

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #271 on: October 28, 2016, 06:20:13 AM »

Excellent point, Dragoncar!  :)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #272 on: October 28, 2016, 07:15:23 AM »

Gingham Style!!!

Wonder what that music video would look like?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #273 on: October 28, 2016, 01:31:33 PM »
Troling is A Art. (it's almost a cliche' at this point)
No idea about the Gagham Style....

my2c+61

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #274 on: October 29, 2016, 08:54:12 PM »
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/46-Secluded-Trl_The-Woodlands_TX_77380_M75483-57342

I just don't even know what to say. It's a McMansion duplex. Woodlands gonna wood.

The first thing that came to mind when seeing the exterior is Mexican /South American drug lords. The only thing missing is the armed bandidos.

The kitchen tiling messes with my head, when I was a kid we had that same pattern lino in our house.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #275 on: October 29, 2016, 09:10:10 PM »
They interviewed her on a podcast I listen to, and she sounds as catty as she writes. That being said, her points are valid...

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #276 on: October 30, 2016, 01:34:18 PM »

http://lmgtfy.com/?t=i&q=gigham

crispy

« Reply #277 on: October 30, 2016, 02:48:12 PM »

Point being that your google search autocorrected to "gingham" which is a well known fabric pattern. "Gigham" is not a thing. Blogger was being snarky about the dated look of the house while repeatedly spelling a common word wrong. Wonder if she knows how to spell hubris?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:50:48 PM by crispy »

Sdsailing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #278 on: October 30, 2016, 03:47:09 PM »

Can anyone explain what her definition is of the word "dank" ?   I presume it is some kind of hipster neologism.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #279 on: October 30, 2016, 11:48:10 PM »

Can anyone explain what her definition is of the word "dank" ?   I presume it is some kind of hipster neologism.

Okay, so I'm not quite as young as her, so maybe that's my confusion, but she seems to be using dank as a negative, but in a hip sense? My knowledge of dank:
literature, old definition: similar to musty
hip version bandied about by other millennial: cool, but in a chill sense, as used by stoners, particularly to describe good weed

She seems to be using it in a negative way but not meaning something musty. So I am confused by this as well.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #280 on: October 31, 2016, 01:17:42 AM »
Dank = musty, dark, uninviting.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #281 on: October 31, 2016, 02:53:44 AM »
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dank&utm_source=search-action 

Pretty sure she's using it in this sense, but sarcastically.

human

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #282 on: October 31, 2016, 04:58:17 AM »

Point being that your google search autocorrected to "gingham" which is a well known fabric pattern. "Gigham" is not a thing. Blogger was being snarky about the dated look of the house while repeatedly spelling a common word wrong. Wonder if she knows how to spell hubris?

Really? It's a tumbler blog probably using ms paint to make those images I bet she had one text box copied everyone and didn't bother fixing it. I doubt she's makng 400k a year off of that thing.

For the record I think the cattiness is what makes it awesome.

Most of this forum is all about being catty and criticising all the life choices of family and coworkers.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #283 on: October 31, 2016, 06:51:11 AM »

Really? It's a tumbler blog probably using ms paint to make those images I bet she had one text box copied everyone and didn't bother fixing it. I doubt she's makng 400k a year off of that thing.

Most of this forum is all about being catty and criticising all the life choices of family and coworkers.

Yeah, I'm not actually criticizing the cattiness on its own. But when you're catty, you have an obligation to be superior in your words, otherwise, you're just stupid. It's the whole glass houses thing.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #284 on: October 31, 2016, 09:39:47 AM »
Re Gingham -- On her facebook post linking to the Cobb County, Georgia home, someone pointed out her misspelling of the word gingham.  Her reply was, "I can't edit the images after I've saved them (it's a long story) but at least now I've been informed."

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #285 on: October 31, 2016, 11:00:46 AM »

She's definitely making fun of people who use "dank" to mean "Incredibly good, awesome."  It's also become a meme in and of itself:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/dank-memes

crispy

« Reply #286 on: October 31, 2016, 11:10:58 AM »

Yeah, I'm not actually criticizing the cattiness on its own. But when you're catty, you have an obligation to be superior in your words, otherwise, you're just stupid. It's the whole glass houses thing.

Exactly. 

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #287 on: October 31, 2016, 07:24:57 PM »

GAH!!!  my work firewall has now included urban dictionary in their blocked websites.... when will the madness end??!

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #288 on: November 01, 2016, 08:05:39 AM »
Interesting thread.

My in-laws live in what I would consider a McMansion--a big house with a poorly designed (but large) kitchen, poorly designed family room, too small living room, useless wet bar, and inefficient heating/cooling. Oh, and it is ugly as hell. Built in about 1993-94. Poorly constructed IMHO as well.

My parents live in a very well constructed 1970's colonial. Having grown up in that house, I absolutely hate my in-laws. My wife hates it as well, mostly just for the aesthetics.

My wife and I just bought a 1920's bungalow. Overall, it is pretty good, other than some furniture placement being difficult because nobody thought of a TV back in 1927. Our house will likely be torn down if we sell it, or we'll renovate it. I will say though, despite the architectural downfalls of having an attached garage leading to the street, I would love to have one. I consider myself to be a good driver with decent precision skills. I usually have to pull forward and try again when backing out of our driveway; it is either that our hit our house or go on our neighbors lawn. And both our houses were from a similar time, so it isn't like the "too close together" thing is anything new.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #289 on: November 01, 2016, 10:24:27 AM »

But isn't the definition already sarcastic? Do two sacarasms make a sincerity? ;)

No way am I going to call good food "dank". A wet basement is dank.

This is just like "bad" or "heavy" when it clearly isn't either of those things.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #290 on: November 01, 2016, 12:47:37 PM »

But isn't the definition already sarcastic? Do two sacarasms make a sincerity? ;)

This is just like "bad" or "heavy" when it clearly isn't either of those things.

No, even if used ironically it still usually means "good".  I suppose good weed really is dank like a wet basement?

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #291 on: November 01, 2016, 01:33:13 PM »

No, even if used ironically it still usually means "good".  I suppose good weed really is dank like a wet basement?
I suspect she means "rank" 
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rank

That's the only thing that made sense in the context and it's what immediately came to mind.  However, I am definitely much older than she is, so maybe it's "opposite year" and all the cool kids know it, but I'm not clued in yet. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #292 on: November 02, 2016, 12:36:33 PM »
I suspect she means "rank" 
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rank

That's the only thing that made sense in the context and it's what immediately came to mind.  However, I am definitely much older than she is, so maybe it's "opposite year" and all the cool kids know it, but I'm not clued in yet.
"dank" is slang for shitty.

e.g. "I’ve been bugged for a while to do a house in Marietta, Georgia, which is a goldmine of shitty McMansions." source

For fuck's sake, people, no it's not.  Dank isn't slang for shitty any more than cool is "slang for shitty" in the following context:

"I’ve been bugged for a while to do a house in Marietta, Georgia, which is a goldmine of super cool neato nifty McMansions"

blackhart

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #293 on: November 02, 2016, 01:29:44 PM »
Oh god is this what my life has come to? Registering to a forum just to explain the context of the word dank? Oh well :).

Anyways, in this case she is using it in the same context that it is used to describe "dank memes" (as another poster above mentioned). It is basically a sarcastic way of referring to something overused/overdone, or in some cases done with low quality (memes are basically the fast food of humor). This is the context that makes the most sense.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #294 on: November 02, 2016, 02:27:11 PM »
For fuck's sake, people, no it's not.  Dank isn't slang for shitty any more than cool is "slang for shitty" in the following context:

"I’ve been bugged for a while to do a house in Marietta, Georgia, which is a goldmine of super cool neato nifty McMansions"
Well if we want to be fucking technical about it, it's a regional slang the same way that "coke" doesn't mean "Coke" in Texas. The kids on campus use "dank" to mean shitty and nobody wants to smoke any dank-ass weed.

Also, FFS, don't swap in "super cool neato nifty" if you are just going to say that dank isn't slang for cool. Just use the singular word "cool" as per your claim. KTHXBAI.

Thanks for your super cool neat nifty reply.  It may be regional slang, but she's using it in a certain way, calling the McMansions cool in an ironic manner.  There is a difference between saying something is shitty and saying it's cool sarcastically. 

BTW, the kids on campus are using it wrong AS USUAL

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #295 on: November 04, 2016, 06:12:30 PM »
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dank

She's saying it ironically, but the word *definitely* does not mean "shitty." I really doubt radicaledward knows how the kids on campus are using the word, by virtue of how he called them "the kids on campus."

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #296 on: November 04, 2016, 07:25:15 PM »
And now we need An Art of a crotchety old man, shaking his cane at the college kids and yelling about them getting off his dank/cool/shitty lawn.

That's dank, y'all.

And now up to you to figure out how I'm using that word here. :)

Super cool beans nifty neato keen. Yo.

*Mic drop*

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #297 on: November 05, 2016, 05:23:27 PM »
I actually think the red white and blue cottage is cute. Painting concrete bright red is not the style choice I would have made, but the overall home has a certain charm to it. So there you go . . . there's a house for everyone.

It has some appeal to me, as well. But when I look closer, I'm frustrated by the siding (especially when you have so little exterior wall, you could do so much better) and the tiny tiny porch.

As to those close-packed houses in the other image, they also appeal to me, but I really don't like the driveways. Considering that the whole block was built at once, it would have been so easy to put an alley in the back, and then you'd be spared all that wasted concrete that could have been porch or garden or grass or anything else.

I have to correct this about the 3 house, nope you couldn't alley.  They were built as infills.  There are no alleys in the entire town.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #298 on: July 04, 2017, 05:25:02 AM »
Necroposting as I just came across this new gem of a video showing some particularly odd McMansions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5wcwy_njB4

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #299 on: July 04, 2017, 08:39:34 AM »
Have y'all seen this? LMAO. BTW, Zillow has really gone to shit lately. Perhaps they need to spend more time minding the store than threatening frivolous lawsuits.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/06/mcmansion-hell-responds-zillows-unfounded-legal-claims