Author Topic: McMansion comedy / tragedy  (Read 99714 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: McMansion comedy / tragedy
« Reply #200 on: September 07, 2016, 01:47:20 PM »
My neighborhood was built in the 1950s for GIs returning from WWII, so all the houses were built to be identical and they are all about 1500 sq ft, which was considered quite reasonable at the time. One of my neighbors decided that their house wasn't "grandiose" enough, so they knocked it down and built a McMansion as a replacement: big giant house on the same small plot of land.

They came over while I was having solar panels installed on my roof to make fun of how the panels looked and brag about their "palace".

Recently, the bank foreclosed on their McMansion. I watched from my front lawn as they loaded all their worldly possessions into a moving truck.

Anybody want a beer?

I haven't even met these people and I wish I'd been there to point and laugh. Even in Alabama, nobody showed up to laugh at my solar panels, and my friends with $2-400K homes are 100% cool about our much smaller/cheaper place. I hope your assholes ended up in a trailer, where they belong.

Here is one near me...  built in early 90's, and was originally pink stucco, painted just 4 years ago, and it does not stick out as much now.   The second picture is the street behind, with typical neighbors.

The cowboy thing was cute, but I also thought "looks like someone tried to stuff 10 pounds of shit in a 5# bag".

I don't like the way solar panels look.  There are certain situations where they are likely to reflect the sun in your eyes.  I personally wouldn't make fun of anyone for installing them if it makes economic sense, but from an environmental perspective, I'd much rather have utility-scale panels in the desert somewhere and nice looking homes around me.

One of my new neighbors installed a pool, electric solar panels, and bought a huge-ass RV that they park in front of their house.  The house looked beautiful when they bought it, but they aren't maintaining the landscaping (they now have a dirt/gravel pit where the pool installers went over their front yard) and it looks like shit.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 01:49:23 PM by dragoncar »

yuka

• Bristles
« Reply #201 on: September 07, 2016, 04:07:36 PM »
My neighborhood was built in the 1950s for GIs returning from WWII, so all the houses were built to be identical and they are all about 1500 sq ft, which was considered quite reasonable at the time. One of my neighbors decided that their house wasn't "grandiose" enough, so they knocked it down and built a McMansion as a replacement: big giant house on the same small plot of land.

They came over while I was having solar panels installed on my roof to make fun of how the panels looked and brag about their "palace".

Recently, the bank foreclosed on their McMansion. I watched from my front lawn as they loaded all their worldly possessions into a moving truck.

Anybody want a beer?

I haven't even met these people and I wish I'd been there to point and laugh. Even in Alabama, nobody showed up to laugh at my solar panels, and my friends with $2-400K homes are 100% cool about our much smaller/cheaper place. I hope your assholes ended up in a trailer, where they belong.

Here is one near me...  built in early 90's, and was originally pink stucco, painted just 4 years ago, and it does not stick out as much now.   The second picture is the street behind, with typical neighbors.

The cowboy thing was cute, but I also thought "looks like someone tried to stuff 10 pounds of shit in a 5# bag".

I don't like the way solar panels look.  There are certain situations where they are likely to reflect the sun in your eyes.  I personally wouldn't make fun of anyone for installing them if it makes economic sense, but from an environmental perspective, I'd much rather have utility-scale panels in the desert somewhere and nice looking homes around me.

One of my new neighbors installed a pool, electric solar panels, and bought a huge-ass RV that they park in front of their house.  The house looked beautiful when they bought it, but they aren't maintaining the landscaping (they now have a dirt/gravel pit where the pool installers went over their front yard) and it looks like shit.

This is the energy equivalent of someone buying a car with their raise. Someone may actually have said, "well shit, saved all this electricity with our solar panels, what are we going to do? I know, we'll dig a big hole in our yard so we can continuously run a pump, and then we'll buy a bus to drive long distances with just our family. That should zero us out!"

whiskeyjack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #202 on: September 07, 2016, 11:46:37 PM »
I highly recommend Christopher Alexander's A Pattern Language.  It has this great section on the fundamentals of why some rooms just feel better than others.  His perfect room has windows on three sides.  Another Alexander idea is that the furniture in a room should lead people to look out the window.

This book is amazing but almost ruined my ability to ever buy a house.  Nothing I found was ever quite right after that.

acanthurus

• Stubble
« Reply #203 on: September 08, 2016, 01:42:44 PM »
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/46-Secluded-Trl_The-Woodlands_TX_77380_M75483-57342

I just don't even know what to say. It's a McMansion duplex. Woodlands gonna wood.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #204 on: September 08, 2016, 02:00:28 PM »
So when people say a house is "too big" for the lot, is there an optimal ratio of yard space to house space or driveway space? How about when the lot is oddly shaped, such that there's no way to get around to the back of the house? Do the standards vary depending on whether there's a front yard, or how far away from the Equator you are? (Having to dig deep to bury water and other utilities influences construction cost.)

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #205 on: September 08, 2016, 02:01:43 PM »
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/46-Secluded-Trl_The-Woodlands_TX_77380_M75483-57342

I just don't even know what to say. It's a McMansion duplex. Woodlands gonna wood.

The place is on a street called Secluded Trail in a gated community . . . to protect the public-at-large from having to look at it. . . .

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #206 on: September 08, 2016, 02:07:41 PM »

o_O

ಠ_ಠ

Quote from: realtor page
Key Facts
  • Single family home

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #207 on: September 08, 2016, 02:18:28 PM »

McMansion duplexes are not rare. Here's some new ones in Philadelphia.

It's not quite so...emetic as the ones in The Woodlands, though. These are merely ugly.

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #208 on: September 08, 2016, 02:24:22 PM »
This looks good!

This looks like shite!

All they needed to do was figure out a way to put 8-12 in a row and it could have looked pretty good.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #209 on: September 08, 2016, 02:27:22 PM »
I think mine look pretty awesome, and they don't reflect any glare to the ground level, ever, but regardless of my stance on such a subject, I wouldn't be a dick to a neighbor over it. Thus my unrepentant schadenfreude at these assholes. ;)
Trust-fund hippies or something like that, my guess. Plenty of people who fancy themselves environmentalists are also clueless consumers.

Jesus Christ, that is fucking hideous.

It's not quite so...emetic
Hahahahaha!!!

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #210 on: September 08, 2016, 02:33:49 PM »
All they needed to do was figure out a way to put 8-12 in a row and it could have looked pretty good.

Honestly, the most objectionable difference between them to me is the big honkin' garage door. Houses should have front porches to accommodate humans, not front garages to accommodate vehicles.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #211 on: September 08, 2016, 02:47:26 PM »

Honestly, the most objectionable difference between them to me is the big honkin' garage door. Houses should have front porches to accommodate humans, not front garages to accommodate vehicles.

Yep. And you don't even have to get rid of the garage, as long as it has less emphasis than the [human] entry and rest of the facade does. For example, this is great:

(See the garages? No? Look closer; they're there.)

This is fine too:

And here's a duplex version instead of a rowhouse (although IMO it would be better if the front doors were aligned with the stairs):

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #212 on: September 08, 2016, 07:21:34 PM »

The place is on a street called Secluded Trail in a gated community . . . to protect the public-at-large from having to look at it. . . .

It looks as though three or four different architectural styles got together and had group revenge sex, and this is the result.

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #213 on: September 08, 2016, 08:42:29 PM »

In the overview paragraph I counted 11 exclamation points and not a single full stop. It would appear nothing about that house invokes calm...

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #214 on: September 09, 2016, 07:33:59 AM »
Too bad real estate pages don't have comment sections. A roast would be fun!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #215 on: September 09, 2016, 07:58:56 AM »

That poor single window--it's the only one with shutters.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #216 on: September 09, 2016, 09:02:50 AM »

It looks as though three or four different architectural styles got together and had group revenge sex, and this is the result.

First thing I thought, having worked with an NGO in the Caribbean, and the Philippines, is that, If I encountered it while working in the rural  areas there, I would assume it would clearly be either the trophy home of a proud local government official, who has risen to the top of the corruption food chain, or belong to an untouchable drug king pin. It's the kind of ugly that stops you in your tracks.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #217 on: September 09, 2016, 09:26:27 AM »
It's the kind of ugly that stops you in your tracks.
Quote of the day!

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #218 on: September 09, 2016, 10:42:00 AM »

Thanks for making me laugh at work, now my coworkers are staring at me! 

Friggin hilariously accurate.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #219 on: September 09, 2016, 10:59:54 AM »
A new post on McMansion Hell regarding Texas McMansions:

http://www.mcmansionhell.com/post/150135343136/flower-mound-tx

The kitchen is incredibly fugly.  Something you can't un-see.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #220 on: September 09, 2016, 11:36:30 AM »

On today's episode of Xzibit's Pimp My Kitchen...

"Yo dawg, I heard you like venting, so I put an exhaust hood in your masonry fireplace-like stove surround so you can vent while you vent!"

That's such a great look they should use it everywhere!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 11:39:25 AM by Jack »

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #221 on: September 09, 2016, 11:40:37 AM »

That poor single window--it's the only one with shutters.

It's probably afraid the other windows will steal them. Kind of like the only kid on the playground whose mom sends him to school with a packed lunch.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #222 on: September 09, 2016, 11:48:20 AM »

...Shockingly Tacky Stone....  yep.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #223 on: September 09, 2016, 01:57:43 PM »

That has to be THE ugliest expensive kitchen I've ever seen. Dare I say it's even uglier than the cheap honey-oak kitchen my house came with? Is that even possible? It must be...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #224 on: September 09, 2016, 02:00:21 PM »
They should get a "blogging" platform that lets you actually discuss posts instead of listing 1030 "reblogs"

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #225 on: September 09, 2016, 02:02:02 PM »
They should get a "blogging" platform that lets you actually discuss posts instead of listing 1030 "reblogs"

With her levels of traffic, should should go MMM's route.  Maybe he should email her on how to not screw up the opportunity...

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #226 on: September 09, 2016, 02:21:40 PM »

"Yo dawg, I heard you like venting, so I put an exhaust hood in your masonry fireplace-like stove surround so you can vent while you vent!"

Every damn house in Dallas (which is where Flower Mound is, basically) has those insane vent hoods.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #227 on: September 09, 2016, 02:33:55 PM »

I thought...it can't be that bad, right?

oy

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #228 on: September 09, 2016, 02:37:50 PM »

Every damn house in Dallas (which is where Flower Mound is, basically) has those insane vent hoods.

By itself, the vent hood is fine. (Better than fine; it's the kind of vent hood I would want if I had a decent one!)

By itself, the stone surround would also be fine (give or take the actual choice of stone).

The trouble is that if you're going to build a stone stove surround, you build the damn ventilation into it instead of adding a separate visible hood too! It should look more like this, with the light, filter and fan tucked up out of sight behind the stone arch or lintel.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #229 on: September 09, 2016, 02:47:57 PM »

I thought...it can't be that bad, right?

oy

I tend to agree with her on the exteriors, but I'm curious what she thinks good interior design is.  Like, the view out the great room seems lovely to me but she mocks it as "lawn viewing apparatus?"  As a mustachian, I much prefer to use neutral tones for basic building blocks and then add cheap color accents (e.g., a beige couch / carpet with red throw pillows / rugs instead of the other way around, minimizing the cost of changing my color scheme).

She also need higher resolution photos!  I can't even tell what the "oops" is about in the first photo.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #230 on: September 09, 2016, 06:40:41 PM »

I've seen worse.  Several years ago, DW and I happened upon a rare Saturday open house of this McMansion.  Sadly, that page doesn't show any pictures of the monstrosity of a kitchen.  The flooring was cobblestone, and it extended into the back game room.  Hard, cold, lumpy, trip-you-when-you're-up-for-a-midnight-snack cobblestones.  The T-shaped island was big enough that there were parts of it that you literally could not reach.

The whole house is a museum of bad finishes.  There was a powder room--a small powder room--that had three different patterns of wallpaper, including leopard print on the ceiling.  The media room had Route 66 themed wallpaper...with matching upholstery.  Literally--the exact same pattern on both the walls and the furniture.  IIRC, the bathtub in the master suite had something like a swan neck for a spigot.  The first floor had three different types of hardwood floors, plus marble (cracked in a few spots) in the entry room and great room, never mind the aforementioned cobblestone in the kitchen.

Oh, and the whole house had these awful, single-paned windows (in Houston!), and there were at least 5 A/C compressors outside.  I can only imagine what the electricity bill in the summer is like for that house. 

She also need higher resolution photos!  I can't even tell what the "oops" is about in the first photo.
I think the posts are based on the real estate listings, so the pictures are whatever she can get ahold of.

yuka

• Bristles
« Reply #231 on: September 09, 2016, 10:45:30 PM »

I thought...it can't be that bad, rigHt?

oy

I tend to agree with her on the exteriors, but I'm curious what she thinks good interior design is.  Like, the view out the great room seems lovely to me but she mocks it as "lawn viewing apparatus?"  As a mustachian, I much prefer to use neutral tones for basic building blocks and then add cheap color accents (e.g., a beige couch / carpet with red throw pillows / rugs instead of the other way around, minimizing the cost of changing my color scheme).

My take on her interior decorating commentary is that most of the stuff is staged rather than having ever belonged to anyone. Plus, they use furniture to fill space rather than in any way that might be functional (spectator chairs in dining room and bedroom.)

Like all the ridiculous secondary masses, they're trying to conceal and apologize for the big box that live inside. But all the stock furniture in the world doesn't stop it from being a crappy box.

Most of the oops are moulding not aligning, from what I can tell.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #232 on: September 10, 2016, 02:19:04 PM »
I would also like an art for my house

Malloy

• Bristles
« Reply #233 on: September 12, 2016, 12:00:07 PM »
I would also like an art for my house

lol forever at an art.

I was impressed by her identification of the Thomasville whatever collection from 2005.  That is some serious depth of knowledge for someone who is, what, like 23?  Also big thumbs up for the public service of telling people that buying furniture as a set is tacky.  I couldn't express these opinions in real life for fear of offending just about everyone, so I'm glad someone else is a crusader.

God, reading those posts and looking at those terrible houses is just exhausting.  People actually buy those places.  For money. On purpose.  Presumably because they need somewhere to live, but do they actually like them?  Do they sit in their echoing living rooms with 25 ft. ceilings, the sun beating down on their tile floors from a collection of oversized and uncovered windows, and think "Yeah-I've made it."??

I'm now so immersed in the truth of McMansion Hell that I'd like to go deeper.  WHY are houses like this?  What is the origin of the double height entry?  The not-that-great room?  Are these building styles a way to hide cost savings?

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #234 on: September 12, 2016, 12:14:39 PM »

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #235 on: September 12, 2016, 12:35:40 PM »
What I don't understand, in the context of modern architecture, is the complete breakdown of the traditional distinction between public and private space. It's one of the things I dislike about the open floor plan concept.

In a two story house, what is the purpose of having a master bedroom on the bottom floor? I understand an extra bedroom (staff, etc.) being on the ground floor or perhaps in the basement, and it makes sense to put laundry facilities near the bedrooms because that's where most of the laundry comes from. But why would the master bedroom be adjacent to the kitchen, foyer, or dining room?

Malloy

• Bristles
« Reply #236 on: September 12, 2016, 12:55:28 PM »
What I don't understand, in the context of modern architecture, is the complete breakdown of the traditional distinction between public and private space. It's one of the things I dislike about the open floor plan concept.

In a two story house, what is the purpose of having a master bedroom on the bottom floor? I understand an extra bedroom (staff, etc.) being on the ground floor or perhaps in the basement, and it makes sense to put laundry facilities near the bedrooms because that's where most of the laundry comes from. But why would the master bedroom be adjacent to the kitchen, foyer, or dining room?

I have also wondered about this.  People will often say it's so that the owners can age in place, but most owners I know are families with young kids who are decades away from that kind of aging.  I most frequently see the floor plan with the master off of the great room, but I've also seen it tucked by the dining room.  It's really the most inconvenient floor plan for parents with young children, which is so odd considering that these houses are heavily marketed to families.

Another wtf element of these houses: the 2nd floor giant landing that is open to the great room via balconies and is often used as the media room so that you can have two TVs blaring in opposition to one another. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #237 on: September 12, 2016, 01:01:17 PM »

Both aging in place, and having a place for family who visit.  My old boss has a large home, with a master suite on the ground floor.  It is where his parents and in-laws stay when the come.  (They are from India, so when they come, they come for months).  Their health is such that they cannot climb stairs all that well.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #238 on: September 12, 2016, 01:16:15 PM »
Another wtf element of these houses: the 2nd floor giant landing that is open to the great room via balconies and is often used as the media room so that you can have two TVs blaring in opposition to one another.

That's not something that started with McMansions; there's a lot of '70s ranch/split-level/split-entry houses that do that sort of thing too. When I was little, the house my parents owned was like that, a ranch except for one upstairs room at the back half of the house, and a corresponding vaulted ceiling at the front half. Looking at it on Street View now, it's kind of funny-looking from the outside (with dormers to nowhere, etc). If I had to draw it from memory, I would have assumed it had clerestory windows instead.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #239 on: September 12, 2016, 03:11:28 PM »

Well, we just sold my parents' home -- one of those "undesirables" with the master upstairs -- and we were told the same story by the realtor.  We asked and she said that folks want the master downstairs in an area where they can hear the kids sneaking in and out.  Whether that is actually true or not... dunno. 

I never put a thought to where it was.  I still don't.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #240 on: September 12, 2016, 11:02:52 PM »
  Do they sit in their echoing living rooms with 25 ft. ceilings, the sun beating down on their tile floors from a collection of oversized and uncovered windows, and think "Yeah-I've made it."??

No, 

They sit in those living rooms and think ..."I need new furniture"...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #241 on: September 13, 2016, 01:10:40 AM »

Do they sit in their echoing living rooms with 25 ft. ceilings, the sun beating down on their tile floors from a collection of oversized and uncovered windows, and think "Yeah-I've made it."??

That actually sounds great to me.  If I didn't have to worry about heating/cooling costs, you can bet your sweet ass I'd have higher ceilings and more windows.

Dezrah

• Bristles
« Reply #242 on: September 13, 2016, 08:08:49 AM »

For me, open floor plans have always been about facilitating togetherness.  In the evening, one of us is usually cooking or cleaning in the kitchen while the other in relaxing in the living/dining room.  If those are completely separate spaces, it cuts off a significant amount of family socializing.  Plus, in a closed off kitchen I feel like I'm just there as a servant to cook and clean in the dungeon.  In the open floor, I'm chatting, watching the same shows as everyone else, casually minding the cooking, and chiming in for help when I need it.

Obviously these are common feelings since it's pretty standard to see a modified traditional floorplan with space for a TV and dining nook in the kitchen.  Personally I'd much rather have just one living room and dining room and just let it all flow together.  I guess I just don't care if my guests see the dirty pots and pans from the dinner I cooked them.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #243 on: September 13, 2016, 08:31:31 AM »

That actually sounds great to me.  If I didn't have to worry about heating/cooling costs, you can bet your sweet ass I'd have higher ceilings and more windows.

I wish I had higher ceilings and more windows because I worry about heating/cooling costs.

Of course, I'm not talking about a modern McMansion great room with 25 ft ceilings; I'm talking about something more like a Victorian with 10-12 ft ceilings. They weren't that high just for looks; they were that high in order to take advantage of the stack effect and get the heat away from the room's occupants. Combining that with a bunch of windows that actually open and you got a house that could be tolerably cool before AC was invented.

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #244 on: September 13, 2016, 09:27:32 AM »
We asked and she said that folks want the master downstairs in an area where they can hear the kids sneaking in and out.  Whether that is actually true or not... dunno. 

My parents moved into a place like that because the upstairs is really just for visiting guests and family, and they don't like climbing stairs if they can avoid it at their age with replacement hips all around.  It's not great with money, but it's theirs.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #245 on: September 13, 2016, 02:34:41 PM »

For me, open floor plans have always been about facilitating togetherness.  In the evening, one of us is usually cooking or cleaning in the kitchen while the other in relaxing in the living/dining room.  If those are completely separate spaces, it cuts off a significant amount of family socializing.  Plus, in a closed off kitchen I feel like I'm just there as a servant to cook and clean in the dungeon.  In the open floor, I'm chatting, watching the same shows as everyone else, casually minding the cooking, and chiming in for help when I need it.

Obviously these are common feelings since it's pretty standard to see a modified traditional floorplan with space for a TV and dining nook in the kitchen.  Personally I'd much rather have just one living room and dining room and just let it all flow together.  I guess I just don't care if my guests see the dirty pots and pans from the dinner I cooked them.

I had to chime in to say: I agree completely with this. We currently live in a 1970s ranch where the living room and kitchen are separated not just by a wall, but a hallway as well. It sucks. When someone is cooking, there's not enough room in the kitchen for the rest of the family without tripping over one another, so the cook either ends up feeling like a servant, or more frequently, we all sit in the kitchen an get on each other's nerves because someone is always in the way. I much prefer a home with combined kitchen/dining/living space.

Also, I don't imagine I'll ever live in a home big enough that it will matter where the master bedroom is located. As long as it has a door, that's private enough for me.

On another note, that website that starting this thread is freaking fantastic.

pdxbator

• Stubble
« Reply #246 on: September 13, 2016, 03:10:24 PM »
I live in a 1800 square foot house in an older section of town. There are many houses similarly sized or smaller. With housing prices going through the roof and city living more desirable, houses are getting bought up by developers, and then they are torn down for the new 4000 square foot house on a small lot. The new urban Mcmansions.

Anyhow, some friends lived with their two children in an older house similar to mine. They went ahead and bought a new urban Mcmansion, unfortunately without thinking things through. They love the house and having more space for their family, however new development is taxed on the purchase price. Older homes are capped tax-wise and it can only increase a certain percentage a year. They were probably paying about $3000 in annual property taxes, but with the new house they are probably paying closer to $8-9K. They were sort of shocked.

Over their lives the taxes on that new house will add up to be quite high. Meanwhile I'm staying put in my house built in 1913 with much lower property taxes (albeit many more repairs).

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #247 on: September 13, 2016, 04:05:07 PM »

That's not something that started with McMansions; there's a lot of '70s ranch/split-level/split-entry houses that do that sort of thing too. When I was little, the house my parents owned was like that, a ranch except for one upstairs room at the back half of the house, and a corresponding vaulted ceiling at the front half. Looking at it on Street View now, it's kind of funny-looking from the outside (with dormers to nowhere, etc). If I had to draw it from memory, I would have assumed it had clerestory windows instead.

Whoever framed that needed a good beating, and should of lost their framing square, for life, LOL.  That's one screwed up mess, well worth clicking on, just to take in the schizophrenic second floor, front elevation. My favorite is a basic 1970s ranch in a nearby neighborhood. The thing was about 50' long, with a five pitch roof, and nothing fancy. Some chucklenut added a two story piece on the end. The front elevation, roofline and siding match. It's just 20 lineal foot of a ranch house that happens to be 9' taller. I laugh every time I go by, because it has the silhouette of a freighter ship.  I only wish they had put a few picture windows in the second floor wall, overlooking the long ranch roof. At that point it would look like it's ready to sail the great lakes.

whiskeyjack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #248 on: September 14, 2016, 12:34:59 AM »

I thought the balconies were so that your wee children could hurl projectiles, legos, phones, and each other off of them from above.  Or at least that is the scenario I envision every time I see one.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #249 on: September 14, 2016, 11:41:14 AM »

I thought the balconies were so that your wee children could hurl projectiles, legos, phones, and each other off of them from above.  Or at least that is the scenario I envision every time I see one.
My step-brothers would gather every pillow and blanket in the house into a pile below the balcony, then jump into the pile from said balcony.

5900 sq ft, built in 1994. Master bedroom/bath on the first floor, along with two "office" spaces (one for the adults to work, one for the kids to fart around on the computer), formal living room, formal dining room, kitchen, pantry, breakfast nook, living room, guest bedroom, mudroom, and 4 car garage. Upstairs were 6 bedrooms (1 for each kid and one for grandma), 3 bathrooms, game room, laundry room.

Here's the Google street view. Looks like they grew some trees to spare the rest of the neighborhood. Couldn't hide that car port though! And that dead spot in the grass was there even back when we moved out in 1996.