Author Topic: McMansion comedy / tragedy  (Read 99701 times)

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
McMansion comedy / tragedy
« on: August 25, 2016, 07:56:12 AM »
http://www.mcmansionhell.com/post/149128564511/mclean-virginia?is_related_post=1

A mere 1.7 million for this foreclosed gem.  The two best lines in the post describe the multi-story rotunda:  "Pringles can of shame" and "Church of Wasted Space".

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
Re: McMansion comedy / tragedy
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 08:48:44 AM »
Ugh yeah.  I have friends that just bought a newly built McMansion. 

It was raining when they looked at it and noticed there was water leaking in the foyer.  The builder said "that will be fixed before moving in". 

There was also a small pond in the garage due to the roof leaking, builder said "that will be fixed before moving in".

None of the windows has blinds, builder said "that will be fixed before moving in".

The new A/C wasn't working (they live in Texas), builder said "that will be fixed before moving in".

There was NO DRIVEWAY to the garage (it was a model home), builder said "that will be fixed before moving in."

This was one of the times I couldn't hold my opinion back and I strongly advised them to keep looking because if it was having problems now then what else hasn't been uncovered?  New does not equal better.

My friends still bought the home.

Since moving in in June, they have had 3 roof leaks, in different parts of the house.  The house is completely wired and wifi, but there has been problems controlling the outdoor lights from the main switch, they had to call an A/C repair person, and they were shocked at the energy bill because they were told this was an energy efficient house.   It probably is, but when you have 3000 sqft, cathedral ceilings, still no blinds and open concept everything, in the middle of a Texas summer, it is going to cost money to cool it.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 09:08:32 AM »
None of the windows has blinds, builder said "that will be fixed before moving in".

The rest is crap, but I believe that is standard for new construction.  I bought a house new (didn't build it, bought it from the builder) and it didn't come with any blinds.  Or towel racks, TP holders, etc etc etc. 

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 09:27:20 AM »

The rest is crap, but I believe that is standard for new construction.  I bought a house new (didn't build it, bought it from the builder) and it didn't come with any blinds.  Or towel racks, TP holders, etc etc etc.

Nonetheless, if the builder actually says they will do it, it is reasonable to expect them to do it.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 09:31:43 AM »

Nonetheless, if the builder actually says they will do it, it is reasonable to expect them to do it.

And the builder has "fixed" everything so far.  I would just expect with a brand new build the roof would actually, you know, keep the rain outside the house.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 09:33:18 AM »
That blog is great! I like this comment I found on it, connecting architecture to mustachianism:

Anonymous asked:

My dude and I have been throwing around this idea of "perceived luxury," in that middle- to upper-middle class people do things like buy Kerigs, Coach purses, and shitty townhomes because it makes them feel rich, when actual rich people are like "f that shit." Do you think McMansions are this same sort of thing? Like this nescient view of what "being rich" not only fueled the buying a house you can't afford, but also the actual design of the house?

This describes both McMansions and everyone I went to high school with perfectly.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 09:35:13 AM »
Keurigs are meant for people to feel rich?  My wife uses hers to avoid brewing a whole pot because she only wants one cup (I don't drink coffee) and to avoid having to stop somewhere (which is about time and annoyance more than money). 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 09:53:57 AM »
Keurigs are meant for people to feel rich?  My wife uses hers to avoid brewing a whole pot because she only wants one cup (I don't drink coffee) and to avoid having to stop somewhere (which is about time and annoyance more than money).
It's all about the "convenience".  I have a one-cup coffee cone.  When I want one cup of coffee I put one cup of water on to boil.  While the water is boiling I put the filter in the cone, put the cone on the cup, add my choice of coffee.  By then the water has boiled (measured amount so no energy wasted) and I can pour it over the coffee.  I should time it against a Keurig starting from scratch (i.e. Keurig is turned off, with cold water in the reservoir). But I can't because I don't have a Keurig.  Anyone want to time it under those conditions and I will time my coffee cone?  Starting water is 5oC from the fridge Britta.  You start with the power switch, I will start with measuring out the water.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 09:58:30 AM »
Since moving in in June, they have had 3 roof leaks, in different parts of the house.  The house is completely wired and wifi, but there has been problems controlling the outdoor lights from the main switch, they had to call an A/C repair person, and they were shocked at the energy bill because they were told this was an energy efficient house.   It probably is, but when you have 3000 sqft, cathedral ceilings, still no blinds and open concept everything, in the middle of a Texas summer, it is going to cost money to cool it.
Sad, but a cautionary tale to research the builder thoroughly and get everything in writing.  Ideally there should be an amount of the purchase price held back for deficiencies.  Many new builds have problems because the subcontracting to the trades usually results in the low bidders doing the work, and they have to cut corners to make a buck.

Re. the developing coffee debate:  I'd go with the cone or a Bodum.  Less waste.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 09:59:10 AM »

And the builder has "fixed" everything so far.  I would just expect with a brand new build the roof would actually, you know, keep the rain outside the house.
[/quote]

You both have unreasonably high expectations. I mean, how are these builders supposed to make any money if they actually have to pay attention to quality, in addition to size?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 10:00:47 AM »
yep we live in a mcmansion.  yep we're ok with that.  would have liked to have custombuilt my own lake front home but lot prices plus build to get the energy efficient home in the right way we wanted it would have cost over 150k more than we paid and wouldnt have been able to recoup the value.  also paid 10% under market for our current home.  so is it perfect no ... is it slightly inefficient yes.  would i like my house to be burned down in a fire  or hit by a tornado so i could build the perfect house with no wasted space... absolutely.  here's hoping.

Jack

• Magnum Stache

rothnroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 10:25:47 AM »

LOL. You don't need a Keurig to make 1 cup of coffee.

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 10:37:57 AM »
I have a private theory that I share with my wife when we are invited to visit homes for the first time- the higher end the kitchen in the home, the higher the probability we will be served Cheetos as an appetizer...

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 11:02:13 AM »

I'm sure you don't.  But I think the last Keurig she bought was like $80, and a cup thingy works out to like $.50.  Which to me, is cheap.  And she's an adult, if that's how she wants to make her coffee and it works for her, who the fuck am I to tell her different?  My point was simply that it would never occur to me that a Keurig was some sort of "wannabe-rich fake status symbol."  It's just a lazier way of doing something. 

RocketSurgeon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 11:04:07 AM »
That entry describes the windows as 'stuck-on.' Is that a real thing or are they just using colorful language? It's hard to tell from the picture if you can see through them.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 11:07:46 AM »

I'm sure you don't.  But I think the last Keurig she bought was like $80, and a cup thingy works out to like $.50.  Which to me, is cheap.  And she's an adult, if that's how she wants to make her coffee and it works for her, who the fuck am I to tell her different?  My point was simply that it would never occur to me that a Keurig was some sort of "wannabe-rich fake status symbol."  It's just a lazier way of doing something.

$80 for the device plus $0.50 per cup of coffee is incredibly expensive compared to something like a french press. And even if it weren't, a Keurig would also be antimustachian just because of how much waste it generates.

To get back on-topic, Keurigs are not unlike McMansions in that way.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 11:11:36 AM by Jack »

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 11:14:32 AM »
I have a private theory that I share with my wife when we are invited to visit homes for the first time- the higher end the kitchen in the home, the higher the probability we will be served Cheetos as an appetizer...
Our kitchen has laminate countertops, but no cheetos in it.  We do have goldfish crackers.

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 11:23:23 AM »
That entry describes the windows as 'stuck-on.' Is that a real thing or are they just using colorful language? It's hard to tell from the picture if you can see through them.

It's a real thing... you can get "fake" windows... (WHY THOUGH?)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 11:26:57 AM »

$80 for the device plus $0.50 per cup of coffee is incredibly expensive compared to something like a french press. And even if it weren't, a Keurig would also be antimustachian just because of how much waste it generates.

I guess if that sort of thing matters to you...  Frankly, it doesn't to me.  Yeah, I'm an asshole, I know.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 11:27:50 AM »

It's a real thing... you can get "fake" windows... (WHY THOUGH?)
Really?  For the outside?  Do you have a matching fake one on the inside? 

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2016, 11:32:55 AM »

What I hate about these pod coffees are they are not recyclable .  If you use the refill ones fine, but most people use the little plastic ones and just toss them in the garbage which is compounding the current landfill capacity problem.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 11:38:01 AM »
OMG, that house is such a trainwreck!  If you are going to spend that much money on a house, at least let it be tasteful. 

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 11:44:25 AM »
The problem with McMansions in our neck of the woods is that they are all one of about three models that fit the New England market, and man, are they boring as hell.  They are also >4000 sqft.  But hey, at least they aren't hideously tacky like that monstrosity.   

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2016, 12:52:04 PM »
OMG, that house is such a trainwreck!  If you are going to spend that much money on a house, at least let it be tasteful.

I honestly think that house is the equivalent of someone that uses big and fancy words to sound intelligent/sophisticated.

I met someone that did that a few months ago and looked at him and said, "You do understand that I know the meaning of the words you're using and it is very clear that you do not." He was oddly silent around me the rest of the night.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2016, 12:57:54 PM »

I would be ALL OVER a bowl of Cheetos (not the generic stuff) at  party :)   

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2016, 01:06:37 PM »
Oh, man. I've been tramping around mansions and mcmansions in McLean. At one point, I was able to peek into a back window (I was on a job, I wasn't trespassing). Inside was a two story room that extended below ground. It was a gym. The house contained an indoor gym with basketball hoops and all manner of toys sports gear for the kids to play with. That's just crazy!

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2016, 01:06:50 PM »

Years ago my father asked if I wanted the then new half size Mr. Coffee machine.  Told him I had a coffee maker.  He said I could only make a few cups with the new one if I only wanted a little.  Told him if I only wanted a little, I only make a little in my paid for coffee maker.

He saw the newest gadget on TV:  A bagel slicer.  Only $70.  (Mind you, my father was always frugal).  Told him I had a drawer full of bagel slicers:  I called them knives.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2016, 01:15:31 PM »

Years ago my father asked if I wanted the then new half size Mr. Coffee machine.  Told him I had a coffee maker.  He said I could only make a few cups with the new one if I only wanted a little.  Told him if I only wanted a little, I only make a little in my paid for coffee maker.

He saw the newest gadget on TV:  A bagel slicer.  Only $70.  (Mind you, my father was always frugal).  Told him I had a drawer full of bagel slicers:  I called them knives.

That reminds me of when my friend sent me a link to this:  http://yonanas.com/

She was thinking about buying it and when I pointed out that she already had a nice blender to use, she said "I'm sure this is better because it is specially made for bananas".

Captain FIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2016, 01:17:32 PM »

But it is much cheaper than buying a cup of coffee out.  My DH doesn't really have facilities for cleaning a coffee pot at his work, shy of taking it into the bathroom (which is doable, but adds a great degree of difficulty).  So he has $0.50 coffee instead of $2-3 coffee.  It is not the most mustachian approach, but it is certainly more mustachian than what most of America does.

To put it in terms of housing: It may not house sitting for free (water), or living in a tiny house (pot of coffee), but a 1500 sq home for a family with a few kids is pretty reasonable (Keurig) and far better than a McMansion (Starbucks).

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2016, 01:29:09 PM »

But it is much cheaper than buying a cup of coffee out.  My DH doesn't really have facilities for cleaning a coffee pot at his work, shy of taking it into the bathroom (which is doable, but adds a great degree of difficulty).  So he has $0.50 coffee instead of $2-3 coffee.  It is not the most mustachian approach, but it is certainly more mustachian than what most of America does.

To put it in terms of housing: It may not house sitting for free (water), or living in a tiny house (pot of coffee), but a 1500 sq home for a family with a few kids is pretty reasonable (Keurig) and far better than a McMansion (Starbucks).

Exactly.  You know what my wife did when the Keurig broke once?  Stopped at Panera every day.  So I will take the Keurig, thanks very much.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2016, 01:37:09 PM »

I agree. Not every decision has to be a free/water decision. I think as long as you avoid the McMansion/Starbucks choices, and hit mostly first two, with a dash of Keurig (we all have our vices), you should be good. We have a Keurig, and I can tell you I haven't bought a cup of coffee out in over a year. That's a lot of money saved.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2016, 01:38:17 PM »

Me too! There's a 'craft cocktail bar' that I want to check out sometime. The prices are high, but I've always wanted to try a well-made old-fashion. In order to serve alcohol, a place must have food available and so for the longest time the only food option was a bowl of Cheetos.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2016, 02:12:49 PM »
We had one of these coffee pod machines (gift from FIL), but I couldn't stand all the garbage it generated. After testing different options (Boden, Aeropress, cone, etc) we landed on a fancy espresso machines that grinds beans. The up front cost was expensive, but the cost of running it is very cheap. Whole coffee beans can be bought in bulk, and keep better than ground coffee. The best thing is that there is no excess: we only make the cup(s) we will drink, and the only garbage produced is ground coffee that can be used in the garden as fertilizer or to keep the snails out.

kitkat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2016, 02:29:49 PM »
http://www.mcmansionhell.com/post/149128564511/mclean-virginia?is_related_post=1

A mere 1.7 million for this foreclosed gem.  The two best lines in the post describe the multi-story rotunda:  "Pringles can of shame" and "Church of Wasted Space".

Wow this site is hilarious and awesome. I'm from the Houston suburbs, and now as people I went to high school with have started buying houses, this is all I will think about.

Anyone have any cool sites/blogs that showcase beautiful, reasonably-sized, efficient homes? Would love some eye candy and inspiration for the future :)

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2016, 02:35:16 PM »
Myself and my coworkers are laughing it up at this.  Very nice link.  :D

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2016, 03:04:09 PM »

Me too! There's a 'craft cocktail bar' that I want to check out sometime. The prices are high, but I've always wanted to try a well-made old-fashion. In order to serve alcohol, a place must have food available and so for the longest time the only food option was a bowl of Cheetos.

I was once invited to "Cocktails and Nibbles" at the 4 year old home of the corporate president of a guy who was getting married.  Fabulous mountain views, impeccable landscaping, probably a gold plated toilet stashed away somewhere...and the kitchen was fabulous- separate sinks for food prep and pot cleaning and all the shiny high end things a 1000 person team of product managers could hope to come up with.  Being a kitchen geek (and a bit of an asshole), I snuck a peek into the ovens where I saw the broiler pans still wrapped in plastic...I am pretty sure these ovens had never been fired up.   Turns out this "Titan of Industry" had a bit of a problem with keeping his wife "unacquainted" with his mistress from work.  This house was the part of the settlement she didn't get her hands on in the divorce decree.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2016, 03:19:21 PM »

Yeah, builders generally don't put things like window blinds in, and sometimes don't even put all appliances in as standard (even things like refrigerator). Typically they are options at "design center" time for that type of thing, but almost always way, way overpriced. It's typically a good thing, it's almost always cheaper to buy things like window coverings and refrigerators separately. Especially since those types of things have _thousands_ of potential options/costs on the open market.

Builders that aren't in the luxury home market typically only install things as standard that allow them to get a certification of occupancy from the local authority (walls/insulation, electrical, hvac, flooring, plumbing, etc).

Very surprised though that the "model home" didn't have this kind of thing. Definitely a huge red flag. Model homes are almost always decked out with nearly every conceivable option so the builder can show off all the over priced options that they profit a lot on. Quadruple red flag that the model home had structural problems -- typically a builder will go the extra mile on the craftsmanship put into the models, again as salesmanship.

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2016, 03:22:27 PM »
My guess is the builder is "Journey Homes". Never, EVER purchase a Journey Homes built home. You WILL regret it.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2016, 04:01:32 PM »
Because god forbid we get fingerprints on the stainless steel.

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2016, 04:51:34 PM »
I don't get the coffee thing.  Don't you guys have Cafetieres in the US?

They cost about 10 bucks and then you can get nice coffee for virtually nothing, with no waste.

kitkat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2016, 05:08:20 PM »

They cost about 10 bucks and then you can get nice coffee for virtually nothing, with no waste.

TIL a new term (the actual term?) for a "french press" !

Love my french press -- we primarily use it when camping. Use a typical drip coffee maker on a daily basis though, as I have a bunch of roommates and it makes ~12 cups at a time.

Honestly, I think the people talking about Keurig "convenience" would even consider a french press inconvenient. I would highly encourage them to try it, particularly if you have one of those magical "electric kettle" thingies my SO introduced me to :) Literally the only additional work is rinsing the grounds out after use.

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2016, 07:38:15 AM »
Anyone have any cool sites/blogs that showcase beautiful, reasonably-sized, efficient homes? Would love some eye candy and inspiration for the future :)

I love Mandala homes. It's a company in Canada. They're a bit pricey, though.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2016, 10:22:55 AM »
Oh my goodness, a high school friend actually posted this McMansion Hell website to her facebook today!  Alas, her caption to it was, "I'm not often a snob, but when I am it's usually about McMansions."

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2016, 10:32:32 AM »
Oh my goodness, a high school friend actually posted this McMansion Hell website to her facebook today!  Alas, her caption to it was, "I'm not often a snob, but when I am it's usually about McMansions."

It's interesting when someone takes a term meant for derision and turns it into a badge of honor.

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2016, 04:02:29 PM »
Oh my god, this site is amazing. I know what I'll be binge-reading tonight...

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2016, 04:45:05 PM »
We had one of these coffee pod machines (gift from FIL), but I couldn't stand all the garbage it generated. After testing different options (Boden, Aeropress, cone, etc) we landed on a fancy espresso machines that grinds beans. The up front cost was expensive, but the cost of running it is very cheap. Whole coffee beans can be bought in bulk, and keep better than ground coffee. The best thing is that there is no excess: we only make the cup(s) we will drink, and the only garbage produced is ground coffee that can be used in the garden as fertilizer or to keep the snails out.
I have a friend that has one of these...was a gift.  Seriously best cup of coffee that I've ever had.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2016, 10:01:11 PM »

TIL a new term (the actual term?) for a "french press" !
I thought you chaps called them freedom presses now ?

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2016, 01:15:25 AM »
Honestly, I think the people talking about Keurig "convenience" would even consider a french press inconvenient. I would highly encourage them to try it, particularly if you have one of those magical "electric kettle" thingies my SO introduced me to :) Literally the only additional work is rinsing the grounds out after use.

I find rinsing the grounds an unacceptable amount of work (or possibly an unacceptable type of work) when I lived in an appartment. If you put all the grounds down the sink it will block, if you put the wet grounds in the bin or compost tub they get everything wet and the bin starts to stink and is a pain in the ass if it splits.

But there are plenty of options that are incredibly cheap with a level of work I accept - paper/mesh filters, aeropress, one cup cone. Or using a cafetiere and dumping it straight on the garden.