Author Topic: McLaren parked outside Aldi  (Read 5308 times)

NYExpat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
McLaren parked outside Aldi
« on: April 30, 2019, 07:13:07 PM »
I'm not sure if this should go in the Mastachian or Anti-Mastachian section. I was shopping at Aldi when I came outside and saw a gorgeouse red McLaren. I mean a hideous clown nose red clown car of excess. Aldi shares a parking lot with a mall so my first thought was someone parkes far away from the stores to avoid incidental door damage, but after a couple seconds a young adult mall walked out of Aldi put his groceries in the car and left. It seemed like a very suprising contrast of luxury and frugality.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Re: McLaren parked outside Aldi
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 07:54:44 PM »
I don’t think that would raise eyebrows where I live. I am surrounded by Teslas, Porches, Mercedes, Jaguars, and so forth. Apparently not all of them have someone to do their grocery shopping for them.

Oddly enough, I’ve had Instacart grocery delivery a few times (usually when pregnant and taking care of little(s)) and there have been several times when the person delivering my groceries had a nicer car than me.

NYExpat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 08:17:05 PM »
I would just assume that someone with a $200,000 car would shop at Whole Foods, rather than a budgt grocery store.

jeff191

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 09:32:20 AM »
I live 1 block from an Aldi and most of the homes start at $1MM+ (I don't live in one of them). I didn't think an Aldi made sense for the neighborhood but after they opened, it's doing a brisk business and there are lots of luxury cars in the parking lot. Haven't seen a McLaren yet though. To be fair, there is also a Whole Foods a block away and the cars in there are much nicer than at the Aldi.

A couple of years back, I saw a Lamborghini convertible at Costco. He bought the big pack of toilet paper and put it in the passenger seat since it didn't fit anywhere else.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 04:01:30 AM »
...snip...
A couple of years back, I saw a Lamborghini convertible at Costco. He bought the big pack of toilet paper and put it in the passenger seat since it didn't fit anywhere else.

I have so much fun grocery shopping with my 2000 Porsche Boxster ( convertible ), since it has pretty big trunks front AND rear.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 05:11:23 AM »
...snip...

I have so much fun grocery shopping with my 2000 Porsche Boxster ( convertible ), since it has pretty big trunks front AND rear.

Fantastic car and surprisingly practical too, with the two spacious boots!

The thread situation will (hopefully) be me in a few years - as a result of general frugality, I'm fortunate enough to be able to save for my dream car, which happens to be a McLaren. I'll post the pics on this board when I buy it! (Second hand, of course!) And of course I'll shop at Aldi/Costco - it's too expensive to shop at the mainstream places, as long as there's an Aldi within a few minutes' distance.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 05:32:47 AM »
The thread situation will (hopefully) be me in a few years - as a result of general frugality, I'm fortunate enough to be able to save for my dream car, which happens to be a McLaren. I'll post the pics on this board when I buy it! (Second hand, of course!) And of course I'll shop at Aldi/Costco - it's too expensive to shop at the mainstream places, as long as there's an Aldi within a few minutes' distance.

Just make sure you keep that warranty running!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoviOeSzmME

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 04:49:34 AM »
...snip...

Perhaps though, having run out of money after buying said car, the protagonist is forced into going discount for groceries, notwithstanding his wish to eat more expensive name brand products?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 07:19:55 AM »
Doesn't Aldi have a compact store layout that saves time? We're focused on the money, when it's really all about saving time!!!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 07:22:50 AM »
Doesn't Aldi have a compact store layout that saves time? We're focused on the money, when it's really all about saving time!!!

Yes. And the cashiers are super fast. Even when the store is busy, I can get out with a full cart of groceries in 30 minutes if I stick to my list. A quick trip to Kroger or Meijer for a just a few items takes almost as long.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 04:32:40 PM »
I've only seen two Mclarens "in the wild".  A black one a couple of years ago in the Doctor's parking lot at an oncology center.  Today I saw a lavender one parked in front of an expensive steak house in Palm Springs.   If I ever got one I'd be afraid to park it anywhere.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 05:46:12 PM »
...snip...

Used Boxsters are reasonably priced too.   If you want a sports car, that's not a bad way to go. 

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 12:59:08 PM »
I've only seen two Mclarens "in the wild".  A black one a couple of years ago in the Doctor's parking lot at an oncology center.  Today I saw a lavender one parked in front of an expensive steak house in Palm Springs.   If I ever got one I'd be afraid to park it anywhere.

I've always been a car guy and my son has always been a hypercar guy.  McLaren falls between them.  I'm somewhat surprised you haven't seen more McLarens in southern California.  There's a black 720S that's often parked in our office park, next to the building with all the wealth managers.  (big surprise).

I've attended 2 events with my son that opened my eyes to how much money there is out there.  The first was last summer.  Dream Ride in Farmington Ct.  I had only seen Paganis and Koeningseggs on Top Gear and in pictures.  At this event, there were 11 Pagani Huayras, a new Koeningsegg Agura RS and 2 new McLaren Sennas.  To give you an idea on these cars....for example, the Pagani has a lease deal.  $800k up front.  $35k a month for 39 months.  Then $1.2M to buy it at the end of the lease.  There are a couple youtube videos by (I forget the guy's name).  I found one:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UREwO8MzqRg&t=244s  At the Aston Martin dealer, they had one of (I believe 8) 60's Aston Martin db4 racecar recreations.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtYs4MxwTIw

Anyways...... The second event was a couple months ago.  Supercars through the ages hosted by Miller Motorcars at several of the Greenwich, CT dealers and the repair facility in Stamford.  I'll just rattle through some of what I saw...about 12 new McLarens including a new Senna, Carrera GT, multiple Bugatis including Chiron, Veyron, 110, Ferrari Enzo, Maserati MC12 (was also at Dream Ride) which is essentially a Ferrari F40 built by Maserati to race, Pagani Huayras...."the Joker", a BC and another Huayra that Miller has for sale.  At the service garage, McLaren F1, 2 Vectors, F40, F50, Aston Martin Lemans, Pagani Zonda.

As much as I know I'll never own one of these, I love looking at these cars.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 01:55:24 PM »
Telecaster, Boxster prices are reasonable (I bought mine for the price of a Nissan Cube) , but here on the boards and other places, "Miata is the answer".

Car Jack,

For real rarity try ShelbySuperCar  https://www.sscnorthamerica.com/  --- odd website---  I've met Jarod Shelby at the local grocery store.  My wife's brother went to school with Jarod.

Yep, real car.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkry2VkEkDU  says Jay Leno himself.

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 06:08:07 PM »
I park my red Tesla Model 3 outside Aldi,  and buy the $3 whine.   The Chardonnay and Cabernet are good.     The Tesla, BTW, makes me happy every time I plug it in at home,  every time I drive,  and every time I think of low maintenance costs.    Starting this month I'm riding one of my other electric vehicles to work every other commute --  an electric assist bicycle.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2019, 10:19:42 AM »
I park my red Tesla Model 3 outside Aldi,  and buy the $3 whine.   The Chardonnay and Cabernet are good.     The Tesla, BTW, makes me happy every time I plug it in at home,  every time I drive,  and every time I think of low maintenance costs.    Starting this month I'm riding one of my other electric vehicles to work every other commute --  an electric assist bicycle.

Is this new beverage “whine” related to Trader Joe’s Two Buck Chuck?

:)