Author Topic: Math justifying to buy a 10K$ handbag on credit  (Read 26078 times)

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Math justifying to buy a 10K$ handbag on credit
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2014, 04:10:24 PM »
but joking about their physical attributes is unacceptable, to me at least.

Agreed that commenting on her weight seems to be piling on, but I just wanted to point out that physical fitness is in fact a key part of the Official Mustachian Philosophy. So at the least it raises an interesting question: if it's ok to make fun of someone for their lack of control in spending, why is not ok to make fun of them for their lack of control in eating?

Usually your not allowed to wish for more wishes. So you must first wish you could wish for more wishes. Then, you should be free to wish for more wish after using one wish to wish for permission to wish for more wishes.

And how did you forget the obligatory xkcd reference?

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2014, 04:17:55 PM »
What an interesting perspective into the mind of a bag-a-holic. Her article does the math for purchasing just one bag. But bag-a-holics usually purchase more than one bag. So she'll have to find further financing for future purchases.

Laugh if you will, but I have a good friend that's ailed with this addiction. She dedicated one of the rooms in her house to be a walk-in closet to display her purses. Although she keeps it private (not sure why) and I only know of one other person that has seen it. Her bags are arranged by color and stuff like that. I'm sure it looks really nice.

She does make a lot of money and is single with no kids, so I guess she can do whatever she likes with her money. But she works with me and is also worried about future job prospects at our company. She is like me, getting up there in age in our fields, so future employability is a risk.

Just recently, she started running her retirement numbers and said she may have like 10 years left (in her late 40s). She recently put herself on a limited shoe and bag diet and said it was really tough for her.

I really can't relate to her on this, because although I like to dress to look and feel good, I just can't see spending so much on a bag. I feel if you're going to splurge it might as well be on the clothes or shoes you are wearing since they are always on you. I usually only use my purse when walking from my car to the house/work/party, and then set it down for the duration of the time there...so don't really get it.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2014, 04:48:18 PM »

Agreed that commenting on her weight seems to be piling on, but I just wanted to point out that physical fitness is in fact a key part of the Official Mustachian Philosophy. So at the least it raises an interesting question: if it's ok to make fun of someone for their lack of control in spending, why is not ok to make fun of them for their lack of control in eating?

Above and beyond my Mustachian philosophy is another philosophy that I consider much more fundamental:

Always be kind because you never know what battle strangers are fighting each minute of each day.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2014, 05:21:17 PM »

Being fat != lack of control in eating.

Making fun of someone for being fat is just making fun of their appearance.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2014, 06:25:28 PM »

Being fat != lack of control in eating.

Making fun of someone for being fat is just making fun of their appearance.

False then true

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2014, 08:06:17 AM »
jesus, can we not have the fat conversation again? or at least not here. I like talking about this insane bag obsession and wishing for more wishes instead.

Yes, she is married and she looks pretty happy. 

The photographer for the wedding reported that people gathered and laughed as Emilie struggled with saying “for richer or poorer” during her vows.

Maybe they can afford to spend the way she likes to spend.

http://damaramoeblog.com/weddings/bill-emilie-vancouver-wedding/

hahahahahahahaa oh my god I completely thought you were making a clever joke until I read the photographer's post... THAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED

Michael792

• Stubble
    • Rising Ascendant
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2014, 05:49:09 PM »
Couldn't resist watching the video. Favorite line: "Tha packaging is ta-die for"

I mean, what the fuck.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2014, 03:52:03 PM »
The thing I can't relate to is dreaming about owning certain physical objects. I don't have a dream bag, a car or a house. I must be a weirdo...

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2014, 11:01:57 AM »
i read the blog, and i dont agree with the fact that she NEEDS the bag. however; due to her level of financial literacy, as demonstrated by her running the numbers, the only thing i actually have a problem with is the high interest rate on a depreciating good( a used hand bag loses value) . if this is her hobby and she has no other debt and lives responsibly, this might be the equivalent of travel or a nice car for her. I know some people will roll their eyes, and its not something i would do, but why are we judging her? she isnt claiming to be mustaschian and her blog isnt about saving money. she has a life's goal to own an expensive handbag, she is looking at ways to do so.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2014, 11:12:03 AM »
She would love that lady in Houston that has a 3,000 sq ft closet and has 60 Birkens!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2014, 02:00:50 PM »
i read the blog, and i dont agree with the fact that she NEEDS the bag. however; due to her level of financial literacy, as demonstrated by her running the numbers, the only thing i actually have a problem with is the high interest rate on a depreciating good( a used hand bag loses value) . if this is her hobby and she has no other debt and lives responsibly, this might be the equivalent of travel or a nice car for her. I know some people will roll their eyes, and its not something i would do, but why are we judging her? she isnt claiming to be mustaschian and her blog isnt about saving money. she has a life's goal to own an expensive handbag, she is looking at ways to do so.

I attended a party right after reading this thread where my friend was talking about her purses. Apparently, the really nice ones are a collector's item and may sell used for more than you buy them for. So maybe she's actually being a great investor. Who knew?!?!?

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2014, 08:23:43 PM »

I think this is more fitting: SMBC reference

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2014, 01:59:25 AM »
I wonder why they only cost $10,000 ?    Why not $25,000 ?

Come on, don't be ridiculous. $25000 is just silly. $10000 is completely normal. For a bag.

$10,000 is the cheapest one.  They can get up to like $150,000, depending on the materials used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birkin_bag

"The Birkin bag is a handbag by Hermès, handmade in leather and named after actress and singer Jane Birkin. The bag is a symbol of wealth due to its high price and usage by celebrities.  Its prices range from $7,400 to $150,000. Costs escalate according to the type of materials. The bags are distributed to Hermès boutiques on unpredictable schedules and in limited quantities, creating scarcity and exclusivity."

Those prices are for the peasant birkin buyers.  Panda leather or GTFO.

Gotta love Panda leather!

However, Panda leather is really for the wanna bes.  Those of us with real money will never settle for anything less than BABY Panda Leather.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2014, 02:10:42 AM »

The photographer for the wedding reported that people gathered and laughed as Emilie struggled with saying “for richer or poorer” during her vows.

Given that she was trying to calculate credit interest on her ridiculous bag, I'm guessing she isn't rich, just a wanna be.

I feel sorry for the guy she married, he's going to be busting his ass for life trying to keep this silly girl happy with ostentatious "stuff" that they can't afford.

I'm 99.99997% sure my wife has no idea what the Hell a "Birkin" is.  She'd prefer a $50 bag and invest the remaining $5,450. 

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2014, 02:22:53 PM »

Given that she was trying to calculate credit interest on her ridiculous bag, I'm guessing she isn't rich, just a wanna be.

I feel sorry for the guy she married, he's going to be busting his ass for life trying to keep this silly girl happy with ostentatious "stuff" that they can't afford.

I'm 99.99997% sure my wife has no idea what the Hell a "Birkin" is.  She'd prefer a $50 bag and invest the remaining $5,450.

I would prefer a $50 bag and invest the rest also, but I def. know what they are.

Blue girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2014, 11:55:06 PM »
Ooo.. I've heard her on the radio a few times... Did not know she has a hand bag problem!

Have to say though, I love Hermes bags (I'd only get one if I was a millionaire though :)).

AlexK

• Bristles
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2014, 12:44:48 AM »
If you live in Vancouver and want to buy a $10k handbag and the sales tax is 12%, at least drive to Oregon where there is no sales tax!

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2014, 12:57:53 PM »
If you live in Vancouver and want to buy a $10k handbag and the sales tax is 12%, at least drive to Oregon where there is no sales tax!

Uh, but that might be smart and well buying these expensive handbags, doesn't exactly qualify a person for smart, or should I say a savvy shopper.

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2014, 01:26:57 PM »
This is Vancouver Canada and any savings on BC taxes would be immediately negated by cost of travel, currency exchange and the combined 13% import tariff/tax.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2014, 08:36:12 AM »

i find it funny,  when ever a woman spends excessive  money on something, that at some point some one in this forum will talk about 'poor husband' and how he has to suffer to support her life style. why is the assumption that the husband is footing the bill slaving at work , while the woman is dancing around in a tiara singing to her new hand bang disney-style?

is it strange to think maybe she uses her own income to pay for her indulgences, and still somehow manages to pay her bills?

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2014, 10:15:40 AM »

i find it funny,  when ever a woman spends excessive  money on something, that at some point some one in this forum will talk about 'poor husband' and how he has to suffer to support her life style. why is the assumption that the husband is footing the bill slaving at work , while the woman is dancing around in a tiara singing to her new hand bang disney-style?

is it strange to think maybe she uses her own income to pay for her indulgences, and still somehow manages to pay her bills?

No.  You can look at previous posts and her blog for that matter.  She works PT as a radio show host.  That bag probably represents one half to one third of her annual income.  Someone is subsidizing her lifestyle because you can't make that kind of money and pay for the things she pays for and cost of living.  Maybe they live with parents rent-free or something, but, like I said, her purchases exceed her income and she is clearly thinking about using a credit card to purchase a Birkin.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2014, 03:02:20 PM »
I wonder why they only cost $10,000 ?    Why not $25,000 ?

Come on, don't be ridiculous. $25000 is just silly. $10000 is completely normal. For a bag.

$10,000 is the cheapest one.  They can get up to like $150,000, depending on the materials used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birkin_bag

"The Birkin bag is a handbag by Hermès, handmade in leather and named after actress and singer Jane Birkin. The bag is a symbol of wealth due to its high price and usage by celebrities.  Its prices range from $7,400 to $150,000. Costs escalate according to the type of materials. The bags are distributed to Hermès boutiques on unpredictable schedules and in limited quantities, creating scarcity and exclusivity."

Those prices are for the peasant birkin buyers.  Panda leather or GTFO.

LOL

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2014, 06:50:56 AM »

When you get married, you essentially inherit the finances of your spouse.

If your spouse is a FINANCIAL NINCOMPOOP as this girl clearly is (buying a ridiculous, over priced hand bag on credit), it drags BOTH people down.

He's going to get stuck paying for her foolishness from now on.

That's not to say that he might not be just as foolish, but whether he's an idiot (like her) or responsible, he's going to get dragged financially down by this silly little girl.

And I probably should have said I feel sorry for both of them.  Her, for being such a foolish little girl, and him for being dumb enough to marry her and get dragged down by her silly purse fetish.  Also, I suspect her ridiculous financial habits go far beyond purchasing hand bags she can't afford.

If you want to make your life miserable, marry someone who is irresponsible with money- it's about the best way to end up in financial trouble and eventually divorced (that goes for both men and women).

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2014, 06:58:22 AM »

No.  You can look at previous posts and her blog for that matter.  She works PT as a radio show host.  That bag probably represents one half to one third of her annual income.  Someone is subsidizing her lifestyle because you can't make that kind of money and pay for the things she pays for and cost of living.  Maybe they live with parents rent-free or something, but, like I said, her purchases exceed her income and she is clearly thinking about using a credit card to purchase a Birkin.

Don't forget about the big money she is making posting her "unveiling of the Birkin" videos on YouTube. :)

BTW, I just asked my wife if she knew what a "Birkin" was.  She didn't, but looked it up.  Her reaction upon Googling the thing was "good God, $12,000 for a purse?  That's insane.  What's wrong with these people?"

I'm glad I married one of the smart ones...

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2014, 07:39:32 AM »
[Mod Edit: Inappropriate.]
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 11:10:21 PM by arebelspy »

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2014, 03:04:56 PM »
If you have the stomach for it, you can also watch her on Youtube for the "unboxing" of her new Chanel bag. This masterpiece of the documentary genre lasts a very short 7:41.

http://youtu.be/YEGOezo7QLQ

Dafaq did I just watch? Speechless. Couldn't help but notice the chubby-something in the video who refuses to show her face while "unwrapping" her Chanel has a $2 couch in the background. Not that I judge that type of thing, but you bet your ass before I'd by my SECOND Chanel Bag, I'd replace my college sofa. Mother Effer.

If I hadn't been linked to YouTube with my work email, the comment I had prepared was: "Nice Bag. I just invested $5500 in my ROTH IRA. How's your retirement balance looking these days?" What a dipshit!

sobezen

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2014, 03:28:03 PM »
If you have the stomach for it, you can also watch her on Youtube for the "unboxing" of her new Chanel bag. This masterpiece of the documentary genre lasts a very short 7:41.

http://youtu.be/YEGOezo7QLQ

Dafaq did I just watch? Speechless. Couldn't help but notice the chubby-something in the video who refuses to show her face while "unwrapping" her Chanel has a $2 couch in the background. Not that I judge that type of thing, but you bet your ass before I'd by my SECOND Chanel Bag, I'd replace my college sofa. Mother Effer.

If I hadn't been linked to YouTube with my work email, the comment I had prepared was: "Nice Bag. I just invested $5500 in my ROTH IRA. How's your retirement balance looking these days?" What a dipshit!

Hilarious!  Please post on YT your insightful comment and question!

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2014, 11:53:36 AM »
ill admit it, in mean-girl fashion, i rushed over to the video to see her '$2 couch" . now i have to do something to balance that act out.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 12:14:21 PM by vivophoenix »

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2014, 12:12:57 PM »
My favorite quote (of the 40 seconds I managed to watch before quitting):

"The packaging is to die for!"

There are no words.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2014, 08:46:36 AM »
I threw up in my mouth. She "discovered" the little flower on the box comes off. And then did a striptease-like move with the ribbon around the box.

Jennifer in Ottawa

• Stubble
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2014, 05:19:32 PM »
Silly Cow just purchased a $64 bottle of nail polish.  Cause it's Louboutin, dontcha know.  Her trainwreck is going to be spectacular.

jordanread

« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2014, 06:10:44 PM »

My immediate thought was the mouseover text of this comic. For those who can't see the mouseover text:
This was actually wish #406. Wish #2 was for him to lose the ability to remember that each new wish wasn't my first.

Edited to add:

http://clarkeemilie.wix.com/emilieclarke#!To-Buy-A-Birkin-Now-or-Later/cmbz/E213D84D-E182-412C-BCA5-3B62AE14B763

Read it all, it's worth it!

I hate you for exposing me to this. :P

sobezen

• Bristles
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2014, 12:41:30 PM »
In the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "Stupid is as stupid does...."

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2014, 01:50:42 PM »
After reading this, I'm wondering if anyone noticed that this bag has gone up in price an average of 2.33% (compounded) annually for 30 years.  Compared to inflation, this bag has actually gone down in price! 

Someone check my math, here.  Bag started at $5000 and has risen to $10000 over 30 years, right?

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2014, 03:22:55 PM »
people going to her blog, from here,  to tell her she deserves a facepunch is kinda out of line.

i dont agree with her reasoning.

but that's childish and, out of context, dare i say harassment?

if someone popped up on my blog telling me i deserve to be punched in the face, and then provided a link, i doubt id be very open minded.

sekritdino

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2014, 04:20:19 PM »
Ugh barf! Obviously this woman's blog, YouTube channel, and spending habits are all built around her building up her own idea of self worth by making other people jealous of the expensive things she is showing off. It makes me sad, really.

Also, definitely not cool judging her body type and relationship status!

Edit: today I went into my room mate's storage unit and saw she had a big plastic bag full of Coach purses. She probably has about 10 of them. I know she buys them at the outlet store, but that still means she has probably $2,000 of unused handbags sitting in a plastic bag. No wonder why she is broke :-/

Edit 2: I just looked at the wedding photos...it all makes sense now. I seriously thought the husband was her father at first. He looks about 20 years older than her. My guess is he is loaded (as in has a high paying job, not any actual net worth).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 09:27:36 PM by sekritdino »

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2014, 09:48:05 PM »
This is nuts.... Ai yi yi!

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2014, 05:06:37 AM »
I can think of one context where mentioning the blogger's overall appearance is relevant -- there's surely a Diderot effect with stuff like this, right? Like, nobody's gonna admire you for having this bag unless everything about you is equally shiny, expensive, and in line with dominant cultural beauty myths.

I bought Euro-douche-style shoes to wear in Paris last week, but it was kinda pointless when I wore them with $15 Costco mom jeans.

mpg350

• Stubble
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2014, 02:53:53 PM »
So glad I am married to wife that would never consider spending that much on a stupid purse even though we could easily afford one.

This is a purchase just to impress other stupid people, nothing more.