Author Topic: Market Timing, Anyone?  (Read 3663 times)

dude

• Handlebar Stache

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Market Timing, Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 10:56:58 AM »
Uh, so if I bought some stock last year, I should sell it, and plan to re-buy in 6 months.  But if it was like 3 years ago keep it?

Stopped reading after that sentence, so maybe there is something useful further down.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 10:59:14 AM »
Uh, so if I bought some stock last year, I should sell it, and plan to re-buy in 6 months.  But if it was like 3 years ago keep it?

Stopped reading after that sentence, so maybe there is something useful further down.
Yeah, I am allergic to that kind of nonsense too. I don't even care if it's possible to do it reliably and profitably, I hate day trading. I hate the very concept of it. I'm bored just thinking about it.... lol

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 03:05:20 PM »
It's actually a relief to look at the comments and see that no one agrees with him.  Apparently, he said this when the S+P500 hit 1800 a year ago.  But hey, it reduces your risk (of making any money)!

Bardo

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 03:42:22 PM »
That's funny.  My former "financial adviser", who was really just shilling stocks, swore up and down that there would be no correction in 2015.  Just goes to show that nobody has any idea what prices will do, and the more they claim they do, the less you should pay attention.

bzzzt

• Bristles
  • 5v to Lightning Bolts...
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 09:52:26 PM »
That guy must have a bunch of shorts out there that he needs to hit. Any other reason and he should just start with the face punches now...

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 07:29:38 AM »
In the old days, you could just say whatever you wanted and sound smart and then there wasn't evidence that was easily available for someone to look back at the record and see how wrong you were. A lot of pundits and politicians don't seem to realize that everything they say on TV or online is now saved forever.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 07:30:28 AM »
In the old days, you could just say whatever you wanted and sound smart and then there wasn't evidence that was easily available for someone to look back at the record and see how wrong you were. A lot of pundits and politicians don't seem to realize that everything they say on TV or online is now saved forever.

Then again, they often don't get called on their bad calls or old positions anyway. The purpose is entertainment, not information.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 01:44:28 PM »
Reminds me of the guy at work who said last fall that he went all cash in his 401k. Because there's a "clear channel" in the chart, or something ... suuure. I just said aha and backed away. Same guy also likes to buy physical gold. I've stopped talking investing with him.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 11:00:53 AM »
Reminds me of the guy at work who said last fall that he went all cash in his 401k. Because there's a "clear channel" in the chart, or something ... suuure. I just said aha and backed away. Same guy also likes to buy physical gold. I've stopped talking investing with him.
Ugh.
If it were really that obvious, the answer would be to short major indices. He should at least admit that he's just too afraid to invest in anything.