Author Topic: Mariah Carey NYE performance -- tragically anti-mustachian!  (Read 5200 times)

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
Mariah Carey NYE performance -- tragically anti-mustachian!
« on: December 31, 2016, 11:32:07 PM »
Whether Mariah Carey's team had to pay for her to perform at quarter to midnight on the Dick Clark's Rockin' NYE party tonight, or whether someone paid her to perform, that was such a tragically huge waste of their money!  Epic fail and a perfect ending for 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et_De5vO1_Y&feature=youtu.be

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mariah Carey NYE performance -- tragically anti-mustachian!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 05:59:09 AM »
I would just give it a pass. Stuff happens. It's not a perfect world.

TheStachery

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 09:54:20 AM »
I feel bad for her.  (never been a fan) but still why make light of it?  Shit happens, and she tried to make the best of it.   

Why was it a perfect ending to 2016?  was 2016 that bad?  maybe for you, but for me 2016 was just fine.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 10:03:03 AM »
All publicity is good publicity?
Lots of Americans are talking about Mariah Carey, and I'm sure most haven't given her a thought in a decade.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 10:28:24 AM »
I can't figure out what happened. She seemed to indicate that she couldn't hear herself singing - which I imagine would make it hard to continue. But the initial goof up made it clear that there was a vocal track to lip-sync to in the first song - which seems weird, since Mariah Carey can clearly sing.

I have a feeling that some fairly serious technical problems happened and that this wasn't really Mariah Carey's fault. From an audience perspective, I think we just knee-jerk think "Why doesn't she just keep singing?" but I have a feeling it's harder to do that than it looks in this kind of massive outdoor production.

Also... wtf... all I could think of was how cold she must have been.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 10:50:22 AM »
Backing tracks don't always mean lip syncing....sometimes uts more "sing along" but it's there in case the live sound glitches.  But if she couldn't hear the track, she wouldn't be able to sing along either.

(Other times they do lip sync because they expect a live performance in the cold will sound like crap: don't know which she was going for)

crispy

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 11:55:40 AM »
I feel bad for her. It looked like her ear piece wasn't working. If that was the case, she probably couldn't hear anything at all.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 01:19:03 PM »
I can't figure out what happened. She seemed to indicate that she couldn't hear herself singing - which I imagine would make it hard to continue. But the initial goof up made it clear that there was a vocal track to lip-sync to in the first song - which seems weird, since Mariah Carey can clearly sing.

Mariah Carey without background track

Having been a part of producing many performances (never Mariah), there are very few artists who I would be willing to claim 'can sing' without hearing them in person.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 01:50:11 PM »

Mariah Carey without background track

Having been a part of producing many performances (never Mariah), there are very few artists who I would be willing to claim 'can sing' without hearing them in person.

She sounds better than I do. :)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 02:07:58 PM »
Was it her or her staffers who asked when the ball is dropped in Times Square on NYE?

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 03:24:02 PM »
Was it her or her staffers who asked when the ball is dropped in Times Square on NYE?

Her staffers.

I'm the OP here, and I actually felt terrible for Mariah when it happened.  Even though, over the years, she has earned a bad reputation as a diva in the worst meaning, I've always liked her songs and would like to see her to continue releasing new music.  I kinda felt like this was a great opportunity for her to have a comeback, but then this total mess happened instead.  I imagine is pretty devastating for her, and I am sorry it happened.  (Although, the crowd could hear the music well enough for them to sing along, and the dancers could hear it well enough for them to perform spot on, but uber-experienced Mariah couldn't do anything to adapt?  Hmmm)

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 03:54:47 PM »
As far as I can tell, her equipment got all fucked up and she couldn't hear the music she needed to sing to over the roar of the crowd. So embarrassing.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 05:15:25 PM »
Lots of Americans are talking about Mariah Carey, and I'm sure most haven't given her a thought in a decade.

Lots of Australians are talking about her after she and James Packer broke off their engagement.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 04:43:59 PM »

Lots of Australians are talking about her after she and James Packer broke off their engagement.

James dodged a bullet IMO.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 03:26:14 AM »

Every single transaction / gift / purchase had to be documented and ticked off by the lawyers on both sides.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 06:31:50 AM »

Every single transaction / gift / purchase had to be documented and ticked off by the lawyers on both sides.

Oh the memories!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!