Author Topic: Man with facial tattoo complains about no job, rejects offers of free removal  (Read 6083 times)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/at-work/i-just-want-a-job-face-tattoo-inked-in-jail-holding-man-back-from-employment/news-story/f2b45ae78f2b05b56f8954a7faa16aae

Mark Cropp wants to get off the dole, get a job and put food on the table for his family. But there’s one small problem — a giant tattoo saying “DEVAST8” that covers half of his face is proving off-putting for prospective employers.

Corrections facilitates offer access for prisoners to tattoo removal services at low or no cost through Work and Income and a variety of private and non-government organisations, Miles said.
Any applicable cost for the service is funded by the prisoner.
Two offers of access to removal services were made to Cropp but he declined, Miles said.

“That’s the thing — it’s part of who I am. But if it comes down to it, if I have to get rid of it to be a normal person and function in society again, then I have to,” he said.

Wants job. Has massive facial tattoo. Has twice rejected offers to have it removed at no cost. Says it's part of who he is.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
This doesn't say no cost for removal; what you quoted says access, but the ex con pays for the cost.

I recognize this kind of wording, because that is how US politicians are selling their current healthcare proposals. You can have access, but you have to pay for it.

Also, maybe he likes it. I bet an ex con's record has more to.do with it than his tat, anyway.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
That guy is a moron, and not for his idiot tattoo. He's had hundreds of job offers and rejected them all ..... because they're in industries that require regular drug tests. He basically just wants a job that doesn't restrict his lifestyle handed to him.

crispy

He could just grow a beard...that would be the mustachian thing to do...literally.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
That guy is a moron, and not for his idiot tattoo. He's had hundreds of job offers and rejected them all ..... because they're in industries that require regular drug tests. He basically just wants a job that doesn't restrict his lifestyle handed to him.

People who are physically or psychologically dependent on something generally try to structure their lives around that thing.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
Ha Ha.  Is it just me?  That tattoo reminds me of the drawing - is it an old woman or a young woman?

At first I saw what could be a Maori-like tattoo, only to see "devast8."

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
I've got a relative who is a dermatologist.  Since tattoo removals are generally very expensive, not covered by insurance, painful and not particularly effective, he tries to talk patients into just living with the unwanted tattoo instead.

In this guy's case, I think he'd make an exception.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
The article stated that he was offered a low cost program to have it removed and he declined. Now I don't know what "low cost," is precisely, but you would think that someone that desperate to get his daughter back would be willing to. I imagine that when he meets with NZ's child services over his daughter having that tattoo won't leave a good impression...

Yeah, seriously this dude comes across as one of those, "If only someone would give me a chance...," and then declined when someone does because it would mean having to get up at 7 am on a weekday.

CNM

• Pencil Stache
This doesn't say no cost for removal; what you quoted says access, but the ex con pays for the cost.

I recognize this kind of wording, because that is how US politicians are selling their current healthcare proposals. You can have access, but you have to pay for it.

Also, maybe he likes it. I bet an ex con's record has more to.do with it than his tat, anyway.

It says tattoo removal services at "low or no cost."  No cost = free

FINate

• Magnum Stache
IMO this is a case of chemical dependency rather than Antimustachianism. From one of the photos it looks like he is injecting in his neck, which means the veins in his arms are probably already wasted. His life is most likely a vortex of chaos and dysfunction, and his life expectancy is rather short if he is using. I think the face tattoo is the least of his problems. I feel bad for the guy.

I suppose one could argue that chemical dependency is Antimustachian, but once someone is addicted it takes a lot more than a philosophical change in outlook to escape that personal hell.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
Wants job. Has massive facial tattoo. Has twice rejected offers to have it removed at no cost. Says it's part of who he is.

He was locked up in 2015, aged 17, for aggravated robbery, after he and a friend pulled a knife on a tourist in Nelson ...
aggravated robbery, escaping custody, assault with a weapon, intentional damage, breach of community work and theft ... in and out of state-supported Child Youth and Family care (CYF) since the age of 6, and kicked out of school aged 11 ... I grew up with drugs and alcohol around, and became a criminal ...

I agree that the tattoo is holding him back, but it's FAR from his only problem.

At first I saw what could be a Maori-like tattoo, only to see "devast8."
I couldn't figure out what the tattoo said from the picture.  I had to read the article, and then it still took me a minute to figure out what DEVAST8 could possibly mean. 

o2bfree

• Bristles
Even worse, the article says he's a "young father". Great, let the cycle continue. Why do women let themselves get impregnated by losers like this?

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache

Guide2003

• Stubble
Even worse, the article says he's a "young father". Great, let the cycle continue. Why do women let themselves get impregnated by losers like this?
I think a fair assessment is the cycle didn't start with him and he's not really capable of breaking it. "He says he was in and out of state-supported Child Youth and Family care (CYF) since the age of 6, and kicked out of school aged 11." As a foster parent of several teenagers, it is completely unrealistic to expect these kids to be logical or make informed decisions about things that involve future consequences. I read someone's suggestion elsewhere on this forum that these kinds of cycles be broken by offering young 20's who have never procreated $20k to get snipped. This guy seems like he could have been a prime candidate for that deal. I'd imagine his girlfriend came from a similar background.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
I thought the tattoo would cover a vertical slice of his face. It covers the bottom of his face. I wonder if he can grow a beard.

I blame all of society's woes on single teenage parents.

marty998

• Walrus Stache

Because the young women generally have similar sorts of problems in life.

:(

All very depressing.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!