Author Topic: Man pays off mortgage in 3 years - gets online hate  (Read 3610 times)

SpeedReader

• Stubble
Re: Man pays off mortgage in 3 years - gets online hate
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 08:10:15 PM »
Amazing how defensive people get! 

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 09:45:23 PM »
I'm not surprised.  Stories like 'this lady lost 40kg' or 'this family of six paid off their house in 5 years' are almost always met with 'I couldn't do that because [weak excuses]' or 'they were only able do this because of luck'.  Not to mention a lot of them seem to think of it as an all-or-nothing scenario.  In their mind, you HAVE TO work three jobs AND have housemates AND eat nothing but rice and beans AND have no social life, then of course you'll pay off your house!

It is still pretty amazing to see so many people taking offense at how a complete stranger chooses to live his life.  I wonder if the average commentator also gets angry at wealthy business owners and people who work on oil rigs because they "can't" start their own business or "can't" work on an oil rig.

tobitonic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 09:47:05 PM »
^ Not usually, from what I've seen on newspaper comments. Many tend to cheer the millionaires and billionaires on (usually in the hopes of someday being millibillionaires themselves someday).

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 10:17:46 AM »
Anyone think this is becoming more prevalent in our society? Is this a "sign of the end times" for America??? (I'm half-joking, half not)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 10:30:06 AM »
Anyone think this is becoming more prevalent in our society? Is this a "sign of the end times" for America??? (I'm half-joking, half not)
I think it's becoming more prevalent in our society, and there's some data to back that up.  Check out this article about how one journalist was trolled for things he never said and doesn't believe, including threatening phone calls to his young daughters:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/bile-venom-and-lies-how-i-was-trolled-on-the-internet/2016/01/14/62207a2c-baf8-11e5-829c-26ffb874a18d_story.html

from the article:
In a comprehensive new study of Facebook that analyzed posts made between 2010 and 2014, a group of scholars found that people mainly shared information that confirmed their prejudices, paying little attention to facts and veracity.

People believe that paying down a mortgage so quickly is impossible for them, or think ER can't happen, so they make posts supporting their beliefs, regardless of whether their information is true or not.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 01:58:42 PM »
Well maybe in the future the thinkers will have more opportunities to get ahead in life as FB numbs the intellects of some/most participants.

I seriously hope social media doesn't lead to a shooting war.

I quit social media several years ago. Just too many people being nasty to enjoy using social media.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!