Author Topic: Man Brings Lunch From Home To Cut Down On Small Joys  (Read 13191 times)

data.Damnation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

GrumpyPenguin

• Bristles
Re: Man Brings Lunch From Home To Cut Down On Small Joys
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 06:13:54 PM »
Ah, come on, it's a little funny.

I used to go out to eat Ever. Single. Day.  It got really really boring.  Same places, every week. I started bringing a sandwich, carrots, and some fruit in for lunch every day... and it's also boring.  But at least if it's going to be just as boring, it'll at least be cheap and healthier.

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 05:49:36 AM »
i used to go out for lunch every day, too. couldn't afford it, but it was only $10 for good sushi! and round trip gas, and a tip, and and and.

now I much prefer to pack. I would rather have a quiet hour of peace alone in the break room while everyone else leaves. I don't get paid to work over lunch, why would I spend that hour with coworkers talking about work stuff for free?

life isn't like The Office. My best friends aren't in the next cubicle over.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 08:38:56 AM »
I used to go out to eat Ever. Single. Day.  It got really really boring.  Same places, every week. I started bringing a sandwich, carrots, and some fruit in for lunch every day... and it's also boring.  But at least if it's going to be just as boring, it'll at least be cheap and healthier.

Man this struck home with me. I was the exact same way and avoided bringing lunches because they were 'boring' or I knew that I wouldn't want them when it was lunchtime until I looked at how much going to Taco Bell for lunch cost me. It helps that they are way healthier and I've learned to eat the same foods for multiple days. Now I generally slow cook a few pounds of chicken breasts with hot sauce and shred them and serve them with a salad. I'll change up the sauces every so often.

lthenderson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 08:45:27 AM »
Back when I was a working stiff, I found a compromise that I could live with. I brought food from home most of the time but ate out on payday which was twice a month. Others in my office went once a week. It offered up some variety and definitely saved a lot of money. I'm guessing I saved $5 every time I brought my lunch from home. Add that up over 20 years, compounded annually at 6% and well.... I have a lot more money now than I would have eating out everyday.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 09:12:52 AM »
" considering canceling his cable service as well, which would save him 90 hours of genuine relaxation time a month."

I don't know about you but watching TV isn't something that causes me relaxation. I find it's just an easy way to idle the time away. Lately though I've noticed that when watching TV I feel a compulsion to use my laptop or play a game on my phone. This needs to end.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 11:57:10 AM »
There was a Starbucks across the street from the job I retired from. Blasphemy, but the highlight of my every work day was leaving the dreary, smelly, basement where the IT dept. was warehoused, for just the time it took to stand in line and get my $2.09 (at the time - it's probably $10.09 by now) small coffee. The taste and aroma of that wonderful dark roast was a treat that I gloried in.

Poor Starbucks can't figure out what happened to their loyal customer. I'm still being courted with discount offers every day.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 01:16:41 PM »
I've never under stood this. My coworker used to buy food almost EVERY DAY.
The only reason he isn't right now is because we are doing a weight loss challenge. So he tends to eat a little better and or bring left overs.

I ONLY eat left overs. Going out to eat for me is a once every 2-3 month event out side of field days when I'm forced to go eat b/c the group is going to eat and we are all in the same car. #annoyingasfuck

but yeah- I don't get it. at.all.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 01:28:10 PM »
For people that make a decent living and don't want to retire early, why judge?    We have our goals and they have theirs.   

However, when I was a pilot I never understood first year First Officers that would eat every meal at the airport(or flight attendants).   At the time we didn't even make per diem and they were making about $17,000 a year.   As you probably know, airport food is crazy expensive and unhealthy.   It's not fun to sit in a seat for 12 hours with a gut full of Wendy's.    I would bring a medium sized cooler with me on 3 day trips even when I was a captain.    On the pilot forums other pilots would make fun of people like me that carried their food in coolers.    The argument was that it made other pilots look like bums when you carried a cooler on your roller bag (or wore a backpack).   I never really understood why.

Maybe spendthrifts and the frugal are forever destined to be at odds...

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 02:23:28 PM »
" considering canceling his cable service as well, which would save him 90 hours of genuine relaxation time a month."

I don't know about you but watching TV isn't something that causes me relaxation. I find it's just an easy way to idle the time away. Lately though I've noticed that when watching TV I feel a compulsion to use my laptop or play a game on my phone. This needs to end.

Frankly, I find a lot of television to be pretty stupid. Bad acting, recycled plots, low production values, etc. There are a couple of shows I like, but the library has so much stuff that spending the money for '90 hours of genuine relaxation time a month' would be stupid.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 02:57:04 PM »

Frankly, I find a lot of television to be pretty stupid. Bad acting, recycled plots, low production values, etc. There are a couple of shows I like, but the library has so much stuff that spending the money for '90 hours of genuine relaxation time a month' would be stupid.

Devils advocate here, the absolute best long form form dramas aren't at the movies anymore, they're on TV.   I love the library also, but I have to hand it to TV right now.    My wife and I watch about 10 different shows a year that are as good as any Oscar winners from the 90s.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 06:56:45 AM »

Devils advocate here, the absolute best long form form dramas aren't at the movies anymore, they're on TV.   I love the library also, but I have to hand it to TV right now.    My wife and I watch about 10 different shows a year that are as good as any Oscar winners from the 90s.

Oh, I feel the same way about movies. I go to the movie theater maybe once a year.

Like I said, there are a couple of shows I like, but the library can order them on dvd, and I can't justify the expense of a television and cable (and forget HBO).

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 07:33:24 AM »

Jessica Jones, WentWorth and Happy Valley are easily the best shows/TV I've seen in a VERY long time.   Hands down. Riveting.

LouLou

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 08:34:43 PM »

Jessica Jones, WentWorth and Happy Valley are easily the best shows/TV I've seen in a VERY long time.   Hands down. Riveting.

Haven't seen Wentorth, but I agree that Jessica Jones and Happy Valley were excellent.  Better Call Saul and the Americans are excellent too.

I was think about getting rid of Netflix/Hulu/Etc, but there are are so many high quality thought provoking shows!  Getting rid of cable cut down on mindless TV for me. 

That said, the library is a great source of entertainment and I use it heavily.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 08:25:37 AM »

Haven't seen Wentorth, but I agree that Jessica Jones and Happy Valley were excellent.  Better Call Saul and the Americans are excellent too.

I was think about getting rid of Netflix/Hulu/Etc, but there are are so many high quality thought provoking shows!  Getting rid of cable cut down on mindless TV for me. 

That said, the library is a great source of entertainment and I use it heavily.

glad someone else has seen Happy Valley- I"m pimping it like a motherfucker and people look at my like I'm crazy.   

I haven't had cables in years- internet only. I have a library card- and it's quite close to me (under 5 miles) but the free time I have to go visit- the library is closed. Which makes me sad. So I rarely go- I wish I could go on the weekends. So netflix it is!!!

NESailor

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 10:08:37 AM »
I thought the article was actually hilarious.  I see it as The Onion endorsing the MMM approach, really :)

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 10:43:29 AM »
It's a little extra funny given that The Onion got its name from the fact that onion sandwiches were all that the founders could afford to eat before the publication took off.

VaCPA

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 11:02:39 AM »
Back when I was a working stiff, I found a compromise that I could live with. I brought food from home most of the time but ate out on payday which was twice a month. Others in my office went once a week. It offered up some variety and definitely saved a lot of money. I'm guessing I saved $5 every time I brought my lunch from home. Add that up over 20 years, compounded annually at 6% and well.... I have a lot more money now than I would have eating out everyday.

I do this but more frequently than 2x per month. I probably eat out once a week and brown bag it the remainder. Offers some variety. I feel like with almost anything in life moderation is key.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 11:11:07 AM »
I used to eat out EVERY single day. I started the habit my first job out of college where it was a small office (4 people) and we would sometimes order pizza and split it between us, or we would all order Chinese, ect. Eventually I started bringing my own food there half the days. When I started another job, there was a period where I would go to Taco Bell EVERY SINGLE DAY, the present-me is sick at the thought. I generally feel sick each time I eat Taco Bell, and now bring food nearly every day.

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 11:51:07 AM »
I think the point of humor is that he no longer socializes with his coworkers - with the talking and socializing being the actual small joy.
Also 5 days of boring meals are no joy.

ardrum

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2016, 03:25:13 PM »
The humor would make sense if one is used to overeating fast food and sitting idly in front of a TV for lack of any better ideas for something to do.  That's most people, so I "get" why the article is written as such.  I don't exactly find the consequences of that behavior remotely desirable though.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!