Author Topic: Magic Mike's crappy money management  (Read 7072 times)

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
Magic Mike's crappy money management
« on: March 09, 2015, 08:36:20 AM »
I watched this movie last night and, all dancing and "Did Matthew McConaughey lose a bet?" aside, I couldn't get over the shitty money management skills.

I mean, "Magic" Mike is trying to save up to start this business that is his life's dream, and
a) He drives a ridiculous truck
b) He has a ridiculous house
c) He has a terrible credit rating
d) He's only saved up $13k in 6 years.

I mean, look dude, if you really wanted this dream business, you'd be trying just a tiny, tiny bit harder and have the money by now.

But I can't be sure if that was the point of the movie (i.e. he was quietly sabotaging himself because blah-blah-internal-battle-blah-blah) or if that's just how shitty most people are at saving money and we're supposed to imagine a savings rate of $2k/a is appropriate for someone at his income level.

Toque.

antarestar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Magic Mike's crappy money management
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 08:47:31 AM »
My guess is that most people aren't watching the movie for the story line.

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 08:50:26 AM »
I was expecting the gender-reversed equivalent of Showgirls.  With that in mind, this was an amazing movie.

antarestar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 08:56:18 AM »
Ouch.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 10:19:07 AM »

Two things:
-Product placement
-Nobody in a tv show/movie is permitted to live in a "normal" house unless they're supposed to be the dirt poor people in the story.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 11:37:19 AM »
Please tell me that you were kidnapped and forced to watch this steaming pile of film at gunpoint.  Why would you devote any of your conscious hours to something like that?

Frugalite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 08:17:28 PM »
I watched this movie last night and, all dancing and "Did Matthew McConaughey lose a bet?" aside, I couldn't get over the shitty money management skills.

I mean, "Magic" Mike is trying to save up to start this business that is his life's dream, and
c) He has a terrible credit rating
d) He's only saved up $13k in 6 years.

I mean, look dude, if you really wanted this dream business, you'd be trying just a tiny, tiny bit harder and have the money by now.

But I can't be sure if that was the point of the movie (i.e. he was quietly sabotaging himself because blah-blah-internal-battle-blah-blah) or if that's just how shitty most people are at saving money and we're supposed to imagine a savings rate of $2k/a is appropriate for someone at his income level.

Toque.

This post literally made me LOL. It's like you used MMM analysis to survive watching the movie. Ha! I am going to go out on a limb here and say that Magic Mike's talents lie in dancing, not in money management!

And FWIW, I agree with you. Get your shit together, Mike!

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 01:53:03 PM »
I totally agree. That bugged me the most when I watched the movie. Also if he's already making the furniture for the dream business why the hell isn't he doing that as his side hustle instead of working construction? Seriously $13k in 6 years is a terrible savings rate. We once put away that amount of money in 6 months.

Finances in movies often drive me crazy. Like that This is 40 movie, she and her husband both own their own businesses, neither one is doing very well and yet they live in a mansion in L.A. I live in L.A. and that is not the scenario for small business owners here.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 02:03:48 PM »
How bad at money management could he really be?  He's only one "M" short of MMM.

/hasn't seen movie

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 03:01:25 PM »
This post literally made me LOL. It's like you used MMM analysis to survive watching the movie. Ha! I am going to go out on a limb here and say that Magic Mike's talents lie in dancing, not in money management!

That is basically what I did.  I mean, sure, who *hasn't* wanted to crotch-thrust a crowd of screaming women in sync with the sound of machine gun, but really, the story was a bit weak.

And FWIW, I agree with you. Get your shit together, Mike!

Exactly!  It's tough to watch a movie, notice things like this, and not be sure if you were supposed to notice, or if the writers just blew it.

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 03:05:20 PM »
I totally agree. That bugged me the most when I watched the movie. Also if he's already making the furniture for the dream business why the hell isn't he doing that as his side hustle instead of working construction? Seriously $13k in 6 years is a terrible savings rate. We once put away that amount of money in 6 months.

And why exactly does he need a start up loan?

He clearly already owns the tools, and his raw materials are literally things that wash up on the beach.  W. T. F?

Rage

• Stubble
  • Eat the Horses
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 03:58:33 PM »
From IMDB:
Secretly he wants out in order to further a projected furniture-making business but his credit rating precludes a bank loan for this despite his considerable savings

Can I assume this "considerable savings" is the $13K you were referring to?

This sort of thing is just the curse of being an reasonable person - a lot of movies and TV shows don't make any sense to reasonable people.  In Honey I Shrunk the Kids, shouldn't they still have the same mass as they did when they were full size since the ray just decreases the space between atoms?  It doesn't make any sense.  Those huge NY apartments in Friends (though they do try to explain it away with something about someone's Grandma and rent fixing or something) - total nonsense.  Hot girl in movie can't find a decent guy?  Pretty much every single aspect of the Avengers movie?  It's all nonsense to anyone with even the slightest bit of intellect.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 05:23:43 PM »
From IMDB:
Secretly he wants out in order to further a projected furniture-making business but his credit rating precludes a bank loan for this despite his considerable savings

Can I assume this "considerable savings" is the $13K you were referring to?

This sort of thing is just the curse of being an reasonable person - a lot of movies and TV shows don't make any sense to reasonable people.  In Honey I Shrunk the Kids, shouldn't they still have the same mass as they did when they were full size since the ray just decreases the space between atoms?  It doesn't make any sense.  Those huge NY apartments in Friends (though they do try to explain it away with something about someone's Grandma and rent fixing or something) - total nonsense.  Hot girl in movie can't find a decent guy?  Pretty much every single aspect of the Avengers movie?  It's all nonsense to anyone with even the slightest bit of intellect.

Well his house/apartment/condo thing is ridiculously luxurious -- that's what blew it for me.  Like, wow you have really shitty credit and can't get a loan and have no cash but you live in a palace?  How did that happen?

And I'm pretty sure he drives a brand new expensive truck...