Author Topic: Living worse than paycheck to paycheck  (Read 9320 times)

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
Living worse than paycheck to paycheck
« on: December 13, 2016, 06:56:06 AM »
My wife and I have small business, occasionally we will put out a few fruits and vegetables
that we grow to sell. We have an older lady that drives a newer Buick SUV and also has a small pickup truck. She buys our vegetables a few dollars at a time.
  This week she bought 2 oranges for $2 and said she would be back later to pay. (no money)
Then yesterday she came back and bought $3 worth of tangerines. Again she said she would pay later. ( waiting for a check in the mail) Now this is $5 that she can't afford to pay, but she can drive her car around to buy $2 and $3 dollars of fruit.
 This has  been going on for a few years, I'm not concerned she won't pay, it's just sad she has not figured out how to get $10 ahead. Sometimes she even drives down to pay a $3 to $6 bill.
 I would have a conversation with her but, I'm afraid that would end the relationship and my
wife enjoys selling what she grows so much, that it's not worth it.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Living worse than paycheck to paycheck
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 08:03:34 AM »
That sounds really annoying.  I have such a hard time understanding how not having a couple dollars lying around can happen.  If i need a couple dollars (or even $20 or $30), i look in my wallet, and if i didn't have my wallet i'd find that in my car, or my backpack, or drawer at home, or my work bag, or for damn sure my checking account and savings account, or my cash emergency fund in my safe.  Shit, excluding accounts and my emergency fund i've probably got $400 cash laying around between various bags, the car and (mostly in) my wallet.  I guess i have all those options because i don't drive a newer Buick SUV and a truck. 

A couple years ago I had a co worker mention how big the jackpot was on the lottery and that he was hoping he could find $4 between his home, wallet and what was in his checking account so he could buy a ticket after work.  $4 fucking dollars!?!?  And the guy was 60!  And i recall he didn't find it and got a neighbour to buy him one.  Surprise, he didn't win. 

Reynold

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 09:33:51 AM »
We had friends who whenever we got together and wanted to go out, they would have to stop by the ATM to get out $10 or $20.  They had a deliberate policy of making it hard for themselves to spend money by adding this extra step, because if they carried it around, they spent it.  I don't know if this is a good thing, because they found some kind of control mechanism, or a bad thing, because it is obviously pretty inefficient, and a reason why they could never save anything for a bigger purchase. 

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 11:17:09 AM »
We had friends who whenever we got together and wanted to go out, they would have to stop by the ATM to get out $10 or $20.  They had a deliberate policy of making it hard for themselves to spend money by adding this extra step, because if they carried it around, they spent it.  I don't know if this is a good thing, because they found some kind of control mechanism, or a bad thing, because it is obviously pretty inefficient, and a reason why they could never save anything for a bigger purchase. 

I used to have the problem that if i had cash on me it would disappear (at garage sales), but I started to track spending and that made more of a difference to my spending habits than not carrying cash.  Now i carry lots of cash and hardly ever spend it, unless i come across something i can resell for a profit or that i really need, and when i do, i'm glad i don't have to rush off to the ATM

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »
The older lady, drove her clown car down to pay her $5 bill yesterday. :-/

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 08:39:01 AM »
I had a similar problem when it came to unnecessary expenditures, things that cost like $3 or less that seemed to accumulate. It took longer than it should have, but I realized that 99% of these purchases would be worthless or discarded not long after, and that the shit added up. Even $3 is a ton of money if it is wasted, there's just so much more I can do with the small bills that I hardly ever buy anything nowadays. I'm proud that in the more than a year since I've bought my home, I haven't purchased anything excessive or unnecessary for it. I know it's common for people to fill their home, but I love having my home uncluttered by crap.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 01:42:58 PM »
The older lady, drove her clown car down to pay her $5 bill yesterday. :-/

Well, she may be terrible with money, but at least she's not a moocher

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 01:47:09 PM »
I almost never have spare cash on my person, though I do have an emergency stash in my car and in my house. Two reasons for it:

* I don't carry a wallet (just keys, license and a card in pocket)
* Cash purchases are too tedious to track

I have a weekly cash obligation (music lesson) that I pull money out from an ATM at the place where I take the lesson. Through my credit union all ATM fees are refunded so the only thing wasted is 30 seconds of ATM time.

I also stop every 2-3 days at the market to pick up fresh fruit and veggies. When I was single it was very small quantities.

Could be this lady just is like me and doesn't want to buy 400 lbs of fruit at once =P.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 01:49:38 PM by MilesTeg »

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 01:49:32 PM »
I do try to make a point to never have 1's or 5's on me. Even 10's. A 20 lasts longer in my wallet. A 100 typically stays at least 2 months, and it only leaves when I've bought something big at an estate sale.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 02:18:44 PM »
I almost never have spare cash on my person, though I do have an emergency stash in my car and in my house. Two reasons for it:

* I don't carry a wallet (just keys, license and a card in pocket)
* Cash purchases are too tedious to track

I have a weekly cash obligation (music lesson) that I pull money out from an ATM at the place where I take the lesson. Through my credit union all ATM fees are refunded so the only thing wasted is 30 seconds of ATM time.

I also stop every 2-3 days at the market to pick up fresh fruit and veggies. When I was single it was very small quantities.

Could be this lady just is like me and doesn't want to buy 400 lbs of fruit at once =P.

I'd venture to guess that you pay for the fruit you buy, though. The fact this lady doesn't is what makes her unique.

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 04:15:04 PM »
I had a similar problem when it came to unnecessary expenditures, things that cost like $3 or less that seemed to accumulate. It took longer than it should have, but I realized that 99% of these purchases would be worthless or discarded not long after, and that the shit added up. Even $3 is a ton of money if it is wasted, there's just so much more I can do with the small bills that I hardly ever buy anything nowadays. I'm proud that in the more than a year since I've bought my home, I haven't purchased anything excessive or unnecessary for it. I know it's common for people to fill their home, but I love having my home uncluttered by crap.

Yeah it is so wonderful to have an uncluttered home.  I don't know how people with piles of stuff can handle it.

When debit cards first came out there was always someone in line (especially at the dollar store) buying two or three dollars of stuff and paying for it with a debit card (which had a $1.50 fee to use!) 
Do those debit cards still have fees to use them? 

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 07:40:22 AM »

Yeah it is so wonderful to have an uncluttered home.  I don't know how people with piles of stuff can handle it.

When debit cards first came out there was always someone in line (especially at the dollar store) buying two or three dollars of stuff and paying for it with a debit card (which had a $1.50 fee to use!) 
Do those debit cards still have fees to use them?

Only places I have ever been that have a fee to use a debit card also have a fee for a credit card. The dollar store does charge to get cash back though.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 09:57:13 AM »
A couple years ago I had a co worker mention how big the jackpot was on the lottery and that he was hoping he could find $4 between his home, wallet and what was in his checking account so he could buy a ticket after work.  $4 fucking dollars!?!?  And the guy was 60!  And i recall he didn't find it and got a neighbour to buy him one.  Surprise, he didn't win.

$4! No-one who doesn't have $4 should be allowed to play the lottery. I really want to know if he paid the neighbour back or not - maybe he was planning to pay out of the jackpot?

aboatguy

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 10:17:50 AM »
My wife and I both have full time jobs/careers but we live on my military retirement and save all of our work income.  However, we are not mustachian, and it looks to me folks might be drawing the wrong conclusion in regards to the woman in the original post.

Not having cash on hand for small purchases doesn't equal living paycheck to paycheck.

My wife and I usually don't have cash.  All of our income comes in direct deposit.  We have been using the same financial institutions for decades, now the nearest branch is about 60 miles away.

We use cash back cards for shopping.  Our  grocery purchases usually go on AMEX blue cash preferred for the 6% cash back.  Fuel purchases go on a cashback card too.  My Coworkers often take collections for things and many times I'll have to catch them later.(usually the money I had stached in my wallet went to the coworkers for a previous collection)  So some of my coworkers may think I have money issues since I don't always have cash, but they know I'm not a tight ass since I always contribute my share, we have nice cars, nice house, rv, antique vehicles etc..

Now for the original post, in my scenario:
Woman in Original post is telling her friends  about needing some actual cash for a poor family, with a monetary situation is so dire that they are often forced to sell fruit they grow in their home garden instead of eating it or giving it to friends and family.

Have a great day!
Mike

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 11:43:40 AM »

Woman in Original post is telling her friends

I think that pertains to me the original poster, who happens to be male.
And by friends, do mean MMM contributors?

Woman in Original post is telling her friends about needing some actual cash for a poor family, with a monetary situation is so dire that they are often forced to sell fruit they grow in their home garden instead of eating it or giving it to friends and family.
That's confusing, you reference the buyer and seller as one.
But if your complaint is with the OP (me), what is is your problem with capitalism?
  We have a small business, and it's a perfect outlet for our lemons, oranges, tangerines,
pomelos, luffa, luffa sponges, sugarcane, starfruit, satsuma and more, that we grow.

And if you think my "monetary situation is so dire" it's not. We have twice what many mustachians are
striving after, not including my home and business assets.

Woman in Original post is telling her friends about needing some actual cash for a poor family
Did you see anywhere that I solicited funds from anyone?
 If your problem is with the lady lacking $5,
The lady drives a newer Buick SUV and has a pickup truck,
and I think she owns rentals.
Ya, she can't seem to keep cash in her handbag.
You might want to rethink your scenario.

Have a great day.

LivlongnProsper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • It's a new day, anything is possible.
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 02:23:56 PM »
I think he is just saying that may be how the woman sees the situation. She would be jumping to conclusions just like you did.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 03:05:35 PM »
It seems like the difference may be how the customer thinks of the fruit seller.

If you think of it like a store, it is not okay to take stuff from the store if you can't pay for it. Some stores have credit facilities and sometimes we judge the people who buy things that they can't afford. If we think this way then the only explanation is that the customer doesn't have access to any funds but needs the produce to eat that day.

If you think of it like buying something from a friend or family member, I don't ask for cash up front if a friend is buying something from me or we are splitting the cost of a joint purchase. They pay me when they pay me and I wouldn't expect them to make a special trip to pay me $5. If we think of it this way then it is no big deal to take the produce when it is fresh and you are around rather than waiting until the customer has cash (I'm assuming the OP doesn't take card payment or have an ATM) and then pay it back whenever you are next passing.

Of course, we see and hear plenty of tales of people who cannot afford $5 but drive brand new cars.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2016, 03:29:37 PM »
LOL, I don't think the lady feels sorry for us!
 The time she got the oranges, she wanted satsuma, she commented, got to get something for them babies.
On her way to visit the grandbabies.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2016, 03:39:31 PM »

I do that...I simply don't like carrying cash.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2016, 03:46:17 PM »

I do that...I simply don't like carrying cash.

I have colleagues like this, I leave them in the ATM queue. I've planned ahead to have cash, I'm going to the bar, I'm not spending my time waiting for you to withdraw $20 three times in one evening.

aboatguy

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2016, 09:49:50 PM »

Woman in Original post is telling her friends

I think that pertains to me the original poster, who happens to be male.
And by friends, do mean MMM contributors?

Woman in Original post is telling her friends about needing some actual cash for a poor family, with a monetary situation is so dire that they are often forced to sell fruit they grow in their home garden instead of eating it or giving it to friends and family.
That's confusing, you reference the buyer and seller as one.
But if your complaint is with the OP (me), what is is your problem with capitalism?
  We have a small business, and it's a perfect outlet for our lemons, oranges, tangerines,
pomelos, luffa, luffa sponges, sugarcane, starfruit, satsuma and more, that we grow.

And if you think my "monetary situation is so dire" it's not. We have twice what many mustachians are
striving after, not including my home and business assets.

Woman in Original post is telling her friends about needing some actual cash for a poor family
Did you see anywhere that I solicited funds from anyone?
 If your problem is with the lady lacking $5,
The lady drives a newer Buick SUV and has a pickup truck,
and I think she owns rentals.
Ya, she can't seem to keep cash in her handbag.
You might want to rethink your scenario.

Have a great day.
I reread my entire post and what I wrote and it doesn't seem confusing to me. 
The part you quoted, didn't mention original poster which would mean you,  the quote was  "woman in original post", your cashless customer.

I don't agree with your title that the woman in your post is living worse than paycheck to paycheck.  I believe she may have money but no cash.

As for the amount of money you have I can believe you have a stache, however, to the non-frugal,  you may look like your struggling and you have to sell fruit on the side.

Mike

aboatguy

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2016, 09:51:16 PM »
I think he is just saying that may be how the woman sees the situation. She would be jumping to conclusions just like you did.
Exactly

Thank you!

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2017, 10:07:49 AM »
We have had a hurricane fund stashed in our freezer for the past 6 years (about $400 cash). I have never experienced a hurricane, but if the electricity goes out, I have been told that cards don't work and only cash works.

Even though a hurricane has never happened, the cash comes in handy when we need it. Maybe we are going to the farmers market and are low on cash. Maybe borrow $20 from the fund and put it back at our convenience.

My in-laws gave us a hard time about having $400 in the freezer. However, my in-laws had us deposit $58 into their checking account two weeks ago. We ended up not being able to do it the same day. They gave us a hard time because they said they don't have any money to spend until the $58 is deposited.

Txtriathlete

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2017, 10:55:17 AM »
We sell eggs from our chickens. We don't do it as a business but rather because our girls are producing more than we consume and I'm not into stockpiling. We sell via Craig's and to friends and family at $3 a dozen.  In the short time we've been doing this I've had people not pay (I.e. Catch you later) and repeatedly try to get a discount (on a $3 purchase!). I don't really think these folks "can't pay" I think it's more the idea that they want a "deal" or are just trying to push it to see what they can get away with.  It's probably my approach to it but it may also be that they just don't think I really care if they pay or not, which I don't. I figure if someone is going to balk at a $3 egg charge that have bigger issues than me.

We usually judge ourselves by our intentions but judge others by their actions.  I would wager your fruit lady tells herself all the time, "oh, I need totake them the money for the fruit" (intention) but never seems to have the money in her purse when she comes by (action). I doubt she thinks of it as an "afford" question at all, my egg people don't.

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2017, 12:58:46 PM »
We have had a hurricane fund stashed in our freezer for the past 6 years (about $400 cash). I have never experienced a hurricane, but if the electricity goes out, I have been told that cards don't work and only cash works.

Even though a hurricane has never happened, the cash comes in handy when we need it. Maybe we are going to the farmers market and are low on cash. Maybe borrow $20 from the fund and put it back at our convenience.

My in-laws gave us a hard time about having $400 in the freezer. However, my in-laws had us deposit $58 into their checking account two weeks ago. We ended up not being able to do it the same day. They gave us a hard time because they said they don't have any money to spend until the $58 is deposited.
Just curious, but why the freezer? If my power goes out in a hurricane (or power outage emergency), the last thing I'm gonna want to do is open the freezer and let the warm air in.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2017, 01:39:50 PM »

Just curious, but why the freezer? If my power goes out in a hurricane (or power outage emergency), the last thing I'm gonna want to do is open the freezer and let the warm air in.

Yeah I'm curious as well, plus you would need to wait for the cash to melt. I have heard a trick where you put a few coins in a  glass of water and toss them in the freezer before a hurricane as a way to telling if you lost power or not (if you did, the water will be liquid).

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2017, 01:51:42 PM »

Yeah I'm curious as well, plus you would need to wait for the cash to melt. I have heard a trick where you put a few coins in a  glass of water and toss them in the freezer before a hurricane as a way to telling if you lost power or not (if you did, the water will be liquid).

This doesn't make any sense to me either--first of all, can't you tell that you lost power by no lights? Or if you're trying to figure out if the power had gone out at some point (but isn't now), wouldn't the clocks tell you?

Even with the water being liquid thing, ice in a block doesn't melt that fast. Especially in a well insulated place wiht other cold things; they'll hold their temperature for a long long time.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2017, 01:57:54 PM »
I'd put a cup of ice with coins on top. If the freezer gets up to zero and then refreezes then the coins will sink to the bottom. The pieces of ice should be small enough so that they will melt first.

It doesn't matter if the power goes out for a moment, you are trying to measure if the temperature in the freezer has gotten up to zero.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!