Author Topic: Litter Robot  (Read 7959 times)

LPG

• Stubble
    • 1000x Faster Blog
Litter Robot
« on: December 12, 2019, 12:33:56 PM »
Litter Robot is the new, life-changing, robotic littler box. It's self-cleaning so you don't need to put in the effort of cleaning your cat's litter box every once in a while. It even starts at the bargain price of only $450 or, for those who need constant status updates on how much their cat is pooping, you can act quickly to save $30 on the WiFi enabled version for the temporary low cost of $649!

https://www.litter-robot.com/

I would make a terrible salesman for frivolous crap. I couldn't even get through those three sentences without my sarcasm shining through.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Litter Robot
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 02:13:25 PM »
I had to remember which section this was in, you nearly got reported for spam!

It makes me laugh that people want to outsource the litterbox cleaning. I have cats. I can't tell you how much information I get on the cat's health from cleaning the litterbox daily. If I didn't clean the litterbox, there are multiple times over the past decade+ where I either would not have know about health problems in the cats, or I would have found out much later, when it was much more expensive to treat.

GreenIvy66

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 02:29:13 PM »
We use the Omega Paw "Roll'N Clean" litterbox for our cat, and I find it to be the best of both worlds. I don't have to scoop and sift through litter anymore, but it also only cost me $30 instead of $450.

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 09:53:43 PM »
 Our cat stood inside the litter box, but pooped on the outside. Do you think we could get a Wi-fi update on this situation? I am glad my wife will clean it, because this isn't the first time...

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 01:31:40 AM »
We own one of these bad boys. Worth every penny.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 04:36:06 AM »
We own one of these bad boys. Worth every penny.

Same.

But I live in a small one bedroom apartment where the only spot for a litter box for two cats is the very middle of the apartment.

It's amazing for multiple cats and odour control in small spaces. 

I would have never bothered with it in my old townhouse where I could have 3 litter boxes around the basement, but in 800sqft, it's a godsend, especially with a sphynx cat.

At my old place I had Luup boxes, those are awesome, but a bit expensive.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 04:37:56 AM by Malkynn »

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 08:06:23 AM »
I have one of the older "Classic" style Litter Robot boxes and it quit working after 5 years.  I was about to pull the trigger on the new one but found that they sell the circuit board and motor so for $80 I have those on order to rebuild it.  If this doesn't work I will get a new one.  I have spent more on things that contributed less to my quality of life.

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 10:32:38 AM »
@shadowmoss The factory has a refurbishment program too. The info is on their website; if I recall right, it's not too much. Per the communication we had with them:

The standard cost to repair your Litter-Robot II base unit runs $35 to $104 plus return shipping cost of $35. State sales tax may be charged in Michigan or Wisconsin. If parts for your repair totals more than $104, we have a customer loyalty discount program for a Tune Up. This option is $139.00 with return shipping. While you may request a Tune Up at any point, our techs may also recommend it upon further evaluation.

The Tune Up includes the following benefits for your base. Our technicians will replace the motor, wiring harness, circuit board, carbon filter and seal strips. In addition to the standard replacement items, our technicians will perform a 7 point inspection and replace any other worn or damaged components.

More expensive than your DIY option, but cheaper than a new one. We did the tune-up in 2015, and our classic has worked perfectly ever since.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 10:53:55 AM »
I've known people whose cats will not use the litterbox if there's even a hint of previous waste in it. A self-cleaning box in that case is waaaay cheaper than cleaning your floors and/or walls and/or furniture.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 11:11:36 AM »
We are on our second Litter Robot....worth every freaking penny, if it died tomorrow I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.  I have one that won't use a box if it's dirty and another with urinary tract issues, the robot lets me know if he's using the box more than usual, in which case it's another trip to the vet.  Also great when you go away for a week, you can come back and the house doesn't smell like a litter box. 

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 11:52:14 AM »
We own a Litter Robot III (non-wifi). Bought for $200 "used" on craigslist, but it was new in the box, never even opened. Worth every penny for 2 stinky Sphynx cats.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 12:11:52 PM »
A few years ago, we had a similar product and a big cat. The Cat won.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 03:06:27 PM »
We own a Litter Robot III (non-wifi). Bought for $200 "used" on craigslist, but it was new in the box, never even opened. Worth every penny for 2 stinky Sphynx cats.

Just got my first Sphynx a few weeks ago. Yeah, the smell can be intense. I'm very very grateful for the odour control of the Litter Robot, especially since I'm never more than 10ft from the box no matter where I am at home.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2019, 03:40:11 PM »
Litter Robot is the new, life-changing, robotic littler box. It's self-cleaning so you don't need to put in the effort of cleaning your cat's litter box every once in a while. It even starts at the bargain price of only $450 or, for those who need constant status updates on how much their cat is pooping, you can act quickly to save $30 on the WiFi enabled version for the temporary low cost of $649!

https://www.litter-robot.com/

I would make a terrible salesman for frivolous crap. I couldn't even get through those three sentences without my sarcasm shining through.
The price you list for wifi is actually a bundle including a $130 accessory kit (a fence to reduce litter escaping, a ramp to make access easier, 100 liners, and 3 filters) and $50 extended warranty (36 months instead of 18 months). The wifi model itself only costs $499.

freya

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2019, 08:09:10 PM »
I'm amazed to see how many people on this forum paid upwards of $500 for this (admittedly) Mercedes of litter boxes.

Is daily scooping really that much of a problem?  I don't find it to be that much of a chore.  Since my litter box lives at the bottom of a closet next to the bathroom and I use flushable litter, scooping gets tagged onto bathroom trips.  Super convenient!  And there are other inexpensive litter box hacks out there.   Take a look at the Tidy Cat Breeze system for example.

I also prevent a lot of litter box issues (like odor) by feeding my cats a homemade raw diet.   I guess that probably ends up zero sum in terms of expense when compared to a litter robot with cheap clay litter and dry cat food, but I get to enjoy happy, sociable, healthy cats with silky coats and minimal shedding, and we don't have to breathe in silica dust.

firstmatedavy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2019, 09:47:29 PM »
This reminded me, my former neighbor was posting on Facebook about looking for a self-cleaning litter box. (After posting about badly needing a new mattress because of her back problems, and a general pattern of occasional posts asking for help because there's no money or food in the house.) The cat must be new - a couple months ago she didn't have pets.

I guess spending $$ on a self cleaning litter box isn't so bad if $30 ones exist, though. I'd assumed they were all expensive.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 09:52:07 PM by firstmatedavy »

nippycrisp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2019, 01:15:42 AM »
There are a lot of self-cleaning boxes, but only one brand (that I'm aware of) that works just about 100%. One must spin the turd to defeat the turd.

So... Malkynn, russianswinga, and I are nurturing a fleet of sphynxes. There's an "investment" that most people won't understand. ;)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2019, 05:39:16 AM »
I'm amazed to see how many people on this forum paid upwards of $500 for this (admittedly) Mercedes of litter boxes.

Is daily scooping really that much of a problem?  I don't find it to be that much of a chore.  Since my litter box lives at the bottom of a closet next to the bathroom and I use flushable litter, scooping gets tagged onto bathroom trips.  Super convenient!  And there are other inexpensive litter box hacks out there.   Take a look at the Tidy Cat Breeze system for example.

I also prevent a lot of litter box issues (like odor) by feeding my cats a homemade raw diet.   I guess that probably ends up zero sum in terms of expense when compared to a litter robot with cheap clay litter and dry cat food, but I get to enjoy happy, sociable, healthy cats with silky coats and minimal shedding, and we don't have to breathe in silica dust.

Well, I already gave my multiple rational reasons and already indicated that I would not own one if I didn't live in a small one bedroom apartment with a cat breed known for pooping a million times a day and producing a stench that makes your eyes water.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2019, 05:44:24 AM »
There are a lot of self-cleaning boxes, but only one brand (that I'm aware of) that works just about 100%. One must spin the turd to defeat the turd.

So... Malkynn, russianswinga, and I are nurturing a fleet of sphynxes. There's an "investment" that most people won't understand. ;)

So so true. It's like being members of a cult.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2019, 06:16:06 AM »
I have one of the older "Classic" style Litter Robot boxes and it quit working after 5 years.  I was about to pull the trigger on the new one but found that they sell the circuit board and motor so for $80 I have those on order to rebuild it.  If this doesn't work I will get a new one.  I have spent more on things that contributed less to my quality of life.

Um, you can get an entire LitterMaid autoscooping litter box for $75 @ Petco. We had one for years. Generally worked well.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/littermaid-3rd-edition-single-cat-self-cleaning-litter-box-2996112?cm_mmc=PLA-GG-_-PTC_P_SUP_PLA-GG_FY19_SBU04_Litter_Accessories-_-69736793916-_-A&kpid=go_1843231383_69736793916_346124707188_pla-750845828844_c&utm_config=tad0iunwp&utm_campaign=PTC_P_SUP_PLA-GG_FY19_SBU04_Litter_Accessories&utm_source=google&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0rfp3Ju15gIVOffjBx3-qgcaEAQYAiABEgIzp_D_BwE

freya

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2019, 09:37:35 AM »

Well, I already gave my multiple rational reasons and already indicated that I would not own one if I didn't live in a small one bedroom apartment with a cat breed known for pooping a million times a day and producing a stench that makes your eyes water.

Is it the breed, or is it the dry food?

When I give my cats commercial food (but especially dry food) the poop smell knocks my socks off.   And I do notice a much greater poop volume.  On raw, they don't poop every day and it's usually small, dry, odorless pieces.

I really think the solution to odor lies not with litter boxes, but with food.  If cats are pooping that often and smelling that bad, something they're eating is not good for them.  Maybe you can experiment a little?  One suggestion:  I've found that poop is much less smelly on canned or dehydrated foods free of gums (e.g. guar gum, carrageenan), almost as good as the raw food.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2019, 01:18:02 PM »

Is it the breed, or is it the dry food?

When I give my cats commercial food (but especially dry food) the poop smell knocks my socks off.   And I do notice a much greater poop volume.  On raw, they don't poop every day and it's usually small, dry, odorless pieces.

I really think the solution to odor lies not with litter boxes, but with food.  If cats are pooping that often and smelling that bad, something they're eating is not good for them.  Maybe you can experiment a little?  One suggestion:  I've found that poop is much less smelly on canned or dehydrated foods free of gums (e.g. guar gum, carrageenan), almost as good as the raw food.

It's the breed. They're well known for it.
Their metabolism is very different from normal cats because they run so hot. My mom owns a high end pet food store, so he's getting very very high quality food, and yes, his poop is less smelly than it was when he was eating the kibble from the breeder, but still, he produces a truly profound stench. It's just a reality sphynx owners have to deal with.  That and their propensity for stepping in their poo and tracking it around the house.

freya

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2019, 01:38:26 PM »
Wow, that is definitely not an inducement to consider becoming a sphynx owner!  My cats are Siberians.

If I were you I'd definitely consider trying some of those gum free foods, or a raw diet.  I follow a raw feeding forum and there are sphynx owners on it.  Never heard anyone mention smell, in fact everyone is always commenting on how odor-free life is on raw.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2019, 11:20:15 AM »
It almost certainly reduces your chance of infection with Toxoplasma gondii.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2019, 01:39:29 PM »
I had a rescue cat once. It would go to the litter box, and then it's crap would come out in a jet stream and get on the wall. Every single time it pooped.

And now I don't have cats.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2019, 02:13:41 PM »
Want to know what's worse than the Litter Robot?

The Surefeed cat dish. It has an RFID detector so only the cats it's programmed to feed can eat from it. When the correct cat approaches the dish, the cover opens and that cat can eat. It closes when that cat walks away.
Dogs and other cats can't pillage their food.

So...basically my house has been overtaken by luxury robots for cats.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2019, 02:56:17 PM »

The Surefeed cat dish. It has an RFID detector so only the cats it's programmed to feed can eat from it. When the correct cat approaches the dish, the cover opens and that cat can eat. It closes when that cat walks away.

As ridiculous as it is, there are situations where it is highly useful.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2019, 03:12:40 PM »

As ridiculous as it is, there are situations where it is highly useful.

Yep. My one cat is getting obese and the other cat needs to be able to eat constantly to keep his body heat up.

I still feel ridiculous.
Rightfully so.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2019, 03:13:15 PM »

When I was a kid, we needed something like that for our dogs. We had one fat Labrador that bullied the other dogs and ate all of the food. She ended up having to be fenced off by herself during feeding time.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2019, 04:56:46 PM »
We probably "need" that to manage the diet of the diabetic cat.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2019, 05:03:15 PM »
We probably "need" that to manage the diet of the diabetic cat.

Not gonna lie, it's pretty fantastic.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2019, 07:37:19 AM »
Parts arrived yesterday but on my way to Las Vegas for a few days.  Bosley is cautiously using an open litterbox but not liking it.  The robot was a pain to have to manually scoop.  I feel bad the lady watching him has litterbox duty.  I'll be watching her 2 cats next week and scooping their box.  Oh.  The horror.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2019, 11:55:22 AM »
Just chiming in to say, be careful w/TidyCats Breeze.  I was an early adopter, and the transition over was going great, until I completely removed the traditional litter box.  That's when I found out that one of my cats wasn't keen on the transition, and she let me know by marking.  Vindictive marking, she'd pee on the grout lines of the tile flooring!  Yes, she was fixed as a kitten, didn't matter.  I tried everything, and eventually just had to scrap Breeze and go back to the traditional litter box system, but it was too late.  She learned that when she was upset, marking was a good way to let me know.  I was eventually able to control her w/generic Prozac, but it was a decade plus of routine pilling, and trying to find the right routine that would not keep her high, but would stop her marking.  Towards the end, she went into our office, stood on the brand new leather chair we had recently purchased, and proceeded to mark the desk, including the electronics.  At that point, I made the difficult decision to put her down.  She was older and even the vet suspected that she was starting to have vision issues, but it still broke my heart to have to put her down b/c of the marking.

Another point - since all my cats are/were rescues, we did have a kitty whose Mama died a day after giving birth to the litter, so she and her litter-mates had not been given basic training from mama.  She was sweet, but certainly had some spoiled issues from missing that time w/her mom.  One of them is learning how to pee properly - she always stood up and hiked up her hind paws, so traditional litter boxes were too low, and she'd pee right over it and onto the walls and floor.  For us, a litter box is a huge clear storage tub, which sits in the bathtub of the 2nd bathroom in our house.  Works great, if I forget to clean it one day, there's a mountain of clean litter and free space to use, and my biggest boy, 18 lbs of muscle and over 2' long, can comfortably use it when the weather is bad outside.  He prefers to use the garden on nice days....

freya

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2019, 12:08:49 PM »
Hunny156, that is a sad story about the fallout from the Tidy Cat Breeze box.  That must have been a difficult decision indeed.

I've heard enough similar stories about attempts to toilet train cats that I've never dared to try that either.   I've also read about these sorts of problems from pretty much every other imaginative setup out there including top entry boxes, and automated litter boxes of all kinds - because they sometimes fail, can frighten the cat if it's still in or near the box when it starts up, etc.   I guess there's just no substitute for the plain old unimaginative box with clumping litter.   

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2019, 12:18:55 PM »
Hunny156, that is a sad story about the fallout from the Tidy Cat Breeze box.  That must have been a difficult decision indeed.

I've heard enough similar stories about attempts to toilet train cats that I've never dared to try that either.   I've also read about these sorts of problems from pretty much every other imaginative setup out there including top entry boxes, and automated litter boxes of all kinds - because they sometimes fail, can frighten the cat if it's still in or near the box when it starts up, etc.  I guess there's just no substitute for the plain old unimaginative box with clumping litter.

Well...there is...the Litter Robot ;)

NaN

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2019, 09:18:33 AM »
I thoroughly enjoyed this post.

@Malkynn , did I read that correctly that you have the Surefeed with an "always hungry" cat and slow eating? Did the hungry cat ever try to destroy the feeder? Did it take any time for the slow eater to adjust the awkwardness of the giant monstrosity of a feeding bowl? I have been intrigued by it for years because we have a similar situation. Can never justify the cost.
Right now, our lives involve watching them feed and then removing the bowl of the slow eater when she finishes and then giving it to her when she requests it. The funny thing is in our household, one of us works from home but travels often and the other commutes to a normal office the whole day. When the traveler is gone, she knows to eat most of her food in the morning because no one will be around in the day. When the traveler is home she'll take two bites and run off to play in the morning, sure of being fed later at her request. Being an engineer I enjoyed looking into cat face recognition, even so much as building a protoype recognizer on a Pi3. It was great to learn some machine learning fanciness for work, but as always, it was always "why build this?" and have resorted to manual, freeeee, feedings.
My cats will surely understand not purchasing them a fancy feeder for FI, right?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 09:26:36 AM by NaN »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2019, 11:20:03 AM »
I thoroughly enjoyed this post.

@Malkynn , did I read that correctly that you have the Surefeed with an "always hungry" cat and slow eating? Did the hungry cat ever try to destroy the feeder? Did it take any time for the slow eater to adjust the awkwardness of the giant monstrosity of a feeding bowl? I have been intrigued by it for years because we have a similar situation. Can never justify the cost.
Right now, our lives involve watching them feed and then removing the bowl of the slow eater when she finishes and then giving it to her when she requests it. The funny thing is in our household, one of us works from home but travels often and the other commutes to a normal office the whole day. When the traveler is gone, she knows to eat most of her food in the morning because no one will be around in the day. When the traveler is home she'll take two bites and run off to play in the morning, sure of being fed later at her request. Being an engineer I enjoyed looking into cat face recognition, even so much as building a protoype recognizer on a Pi3. It was great to learn some machine learning fanciness for work, but as always, it was always "why build this?" and have resorted to manual, freeeee, feedings.
My cats will surely understand not purchasing them a fancy feeder for FI, right?

My one cat isn't so much a slow feeder as he is a sphynx baby who can only manage to eat a little bit at a time, but needs to constantly to maintain his elevated body heat. It's quite dangerous for him to be underfed.

The other is extremely prone to obesity, so even access to a little extra food and he puffs up rapidly. We tried just for a few weeks to try and manage the food situation ourselves and the other cat is friggin fat now.

He's not a food hound though, so he doesn't really bother trying to get into the Surefeed. He would certainly never destroy it. Plus it's pretty solid, I doubt he could.

The baby was a bit freaked by the motor sounds at first, but he's so used to sounds from the Litter Robot that he adjusted within a day. He often goes back after its closed just to prove to himself that it will always open for him. He seems to really like it.

For the level of hassle and health risk it mitigates, $200 seems pretty reasonable to me now that I have it and it's working so well.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2019, 07:11:46 PM »
Success!!!  The Litter Robot is again functioning.  So, $80 and a couple of hours because I've lost a lot of my mechanical abilities vs. $450 for a new one.  I will admit that more than once I thought to myself that I could just throw money at this problem and have a new litter box.  If this fix doesn't last more  than a year I probably won't rebuild it again and will just buy a new one.  Bosley cat is a happy cat to have his privacy in the litter box again.

NaN

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2019, 12:45:23 PM »
@Malkynn , our cat would destroy the Surefeed because he is a food hound. I've read many reviews online of other cats pushing the cleared eater out of the way before the lid goes down, eating around the side while the other is eating, and destroying the lid mechanism.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2019, 01:06:42 PM »
@Malkynn , our cat would destroy the Surefeed because he is a food hound. I've read many reviews online of other cats pushing the cleared eater out of the way before the lid goes down, eating around the side while the other is eating, and destroying the lid mechanism.

Yeah, I'm lucky to have extremely gentle cats. The Surefeed is very solid though, so a cat would have to be really determined to break it, but I could see it happening.

Jadzia37000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2020, 03:43:30 AM »
I admit that I have one of these bad boys.  Primarily because I have a special snowflake of a nose that can smell the litterbox from a mile away.  I have to operate mine manually (press the button every time it needs to be cleaned) because the cat is FASCINATED by it when it is cleaning and keeps jumping inside, causing the program to pause.  So he has to be evicted from the room come cleaning time. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2020, 05:08:09 AM »
I admit that I have one of these bad boys.  Primarily because I have a special snowflake of a nose that can smell the litterbox from a mile away.  I have to operate mine manually (press the button every time it needs to be cleaned) because the cat is FASCINATED by it when it is cleaning and keeps jumping inside, causing the program to pause.  So he has to be evicted from the room come cleaning time.

The kitten is now obsessed with it too and frequently interrupts the cycle, or just hangs out in it so long that the error light goes off. Such a weirdo.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2020, 06:47:27 AM »
I had to do this at first when my cats were kittens as one of them was also totally fascinated when it started moving.  After awhile the newness wore off, luckily.  I admit I found it funny that after about 3 tries to finish the cycle (it stops when it senses a cat on or in the litterbox to keep the cat safe) the robot would just give up and flash all its lights.

With a previous cat, I kept the LitterRobot in my large bathroom and went in several minutes after the cats had used it to see it hadn't cycled yet.  I wondered why and kinda looked in and didn't see anything.  So I turned it off and on to start the cycle manually.  Then I saw my black cat (in the black interior) was in fact back in the litterbox hanging on for dear life as it started to rotate.  I quickly turned it off and luckily he never had a phobia about it after that.