Author Topic: Literally throwing money in the trash  (Read 24182 times)

luchorpan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Literally throwing money in the trash
« on: July 10, 2017, 12:23:59 PM »
I've lurked here for amusement in the past and now I finally have a story to share in return.

A quick note: the relative in this story has moderate intellectual disabilities (IQ in the 60s), so I don't mean to ridicule him for anti-mustachianism by any means. Just thought I'd share a laugh!

So: a mid-20s relative (we'll call him Joe) works at a movie theater. Under the previous ownership, a coke for employees cost 50 cents. So Joe's leave-the-house routine was to grab wallet, phone, and two quarters for a cold drink during his break.

Well the movie theater changed owners, and Joe's had to adjust to all sorts of new routines and policies. A few weeks after the switch, Joe and Joe's mother (JM) are at the theater to see a movie. They go to concessions, and Joe gets a coke. He doesn't pay anything. The following conversation ensues:

JM: Aren't you going to pay 50 cents?

Joe: No, it's free.

JM: It's free?

Joe: Yeah, it's free now.

JM: So what have you been doing with the quarters that you take to work?

Joe: Just throwing them away.

JM: ?!? What? Why?

Joe: Because, I didn't need them. (with the "duh!" implied by his tone)

JM: Then why didn't you just keep them in your pocket and bring them home with you?

Joe: Because I didn't want them to rust. (again, as matter of fact as you can be)

So there you have it. Literally tossing half a buck into the trash can every shift for a couple of weeks. Because you don't need them for a drink, and they might rust in your pants pocket, duh. (Needless to say, Joe now checks his pockets for wallet, phone, and no quarters before leaving the house.)

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
Re: Literally throwing money in the trash
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 01:02:12 PM »
As someone who spent many years working with people with disabilities this is not amusing. If he has an IQ in the 60's this type of thing makes perfect sense to him. It is awesome that he is holding a job. Your Aunt must have taught him to be independent and had him do chores at home, etc which is the key to success.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 02:02:31 PM »
Sorry, I have to agree with above. I can think of better stories to share as a first post...

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 03:27:04 PM »
Come on, the OP is sharing a fun anecdote and not at all making fun of his relative. I'm mildly bothered by the story's placement on the Wall of Shame and Comedy but rookie posting mistake hopefully. OP, this board in particular tends to be nasty and judgy about people making money blunders.

I enjoyed the story not in a "look at that dope throwing out his quarters" kind of way, but rather as a "of course, that's totally logical" way for someone who has an alternate perspective on money to behave.

And good for your relative for having a job and getting a kick out of life. I love the concern that the quarters might rust; it's oddly touching.

Jane Dough

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 11:35:23 PM »
That was a good story,made me laugh. Thank you for sharing it. It's nice he has a job, and the new management retained him.

icbatbh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 03:48:50 AM »
I have a lifelong friend who has no intellectual disabilities, and when we were at school he used to throw his change in the bin after he had bought something from the shop.

He is now a colleague and needless to say he goes out to buy his lunch every day. If he pays with cash and only gets a small amount of change he still throws it in the nearest bin or bush - often passing people collecting for charity before he does so.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 06:08:29 AM »
My husband used to throw money away. My parents always had a change jar to collect pennies and other small coins, then when there were enough they'd count them out and take them to the bank. If I did the counting, I got to keep half.

I once saw my husband take a load of pennies out of his pocket and throw them in the bin. I went nuts. He just said, "Well what else am I supposed to do with them? It's not like I can spend them." So I explained about paying them into the bank and he was like, "You can do that?!?!" He actually though that pennies were effectively worthless because nowhere would accept them as currency in exchange for anything else.

We now have a joint change jar...

(Also +1 to those letting the OP know that this board is usually not the best place to share a gentle laugh. It can get heavy pretty quickly. Just a pro tip for the future!)

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 08:41:18 AM »
Some people need to take a step back and count to ten before posting. The OP stated that no ill will was meant by the post and some people (me included) can see the humor in this.

Kudos to Joe for his independence, enjoy that Coke!

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 09:55:46 AM »
Wow. He didn't see the quarters as money; just small pieces of metal to be exchanged for a break soda - very limited/narrow usage, period. Once that was gone, the meaning/value of the quarters was gone as well. I totally get it, but it does make you wonder about how he views money in general or if he'll ever be able to be completely independent if he's unable to make the leap if circumstances change again for him and there is no one to tell him how to adjust. But good for him for being easily adaptable once someone told him how to change his pattern.

My own experience is with vapid teen girls:

As I was going into a store, two teens came out and one of them glared at the change in her hand and then pitched it at the trash can nearby. She didn't hit it with a single coin, but ended up with a small handful all over around it. She said something about how she didn't want this garbage as she threw the coins, she and her friend laughed about it, and walked on.

I stopped and picked it all up. It was just over 85¢. 3 quarters and various other coins. Not even just a few pennies or something... 

Oh well. Guess it was good for me. But I still can't believe there are a whole group of people that literally do throw money away.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 10:06:45 AM »
I play low stakes (nickel ante, quarter is usually highest amount you can bet/raise, max 3 raises) dealer-choice poker with some elder members.  We only use nickels, dimes, and quarters.  Any time a newbie stops by to play and has a penny or two by mistake in their coin jug, inevitably one of the old timers pipes up and tell them to go pitch the pennies out in the yard. 

Always good for a laugh, but I have seen on occasion someone literally throw a penny into the trash can after a penny inevitably ended up in their own stash for the evening's poker round.

luchorpan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 11:19:27 AM »
Thanks for the amusing replies shared - I love the husband who didn't think of pennies as legal tender! :) Not so much the guy who passes charity collectors to throw his money in the trash - yikes.

Sorry to anyone whom I upset/offended by the post. I love my brother dearly, of course, and he's a full-fledged human being who can be ribbed for silly things that he does (especially when he can be rather an arrogant punk in his explanations of them.) This was a story shared with amusement and affection in my family, so I meant it for the "comedy" side of this topic rather than the "shame" - thanks to those who clarified.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 11:27:53 AM »
:)    That was a lovely story! [I'm raising a teen with a light ID and we have conversations like this, lol.]

I heard the sweetness and love in your telling.

If you want to move it from the Shame thread (because it is indeed the place people focus on mocking others, ugh), you can just ask a Mod to do so (maybe to General/Welcome or Off Topic).

I love how your brother sees things. It makes more sense to me than how society in general views money! Welcome to the forum.

lindy_zag

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 12:07:48 PM »
I did a bit of a double take at this post, since I have a mid-20s brother named Joe with an intellectual disability! His job isn't at a movie theater, though :)

He definitely comes up with some funny ideas sometimes, although he'd be more likely to hoard the quarters for YuGiOh cards than throw them away!

Aminul

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 01:16:32 PM »
Fantastic story, luchorpan.  It's funny how some habits can be so ingrained that we forget the purpose behind them.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 01:35:52 PM »
I follow the blog of someone who picks trash for a living and he's always finding small loose change. Sometimes he even finds little baggies and boxes of change. I moved into an apartment that had about $75 in small change in a couple jars. Some people seem to think it's not worth it, but it really adds up. Cute story, I think it falls under comedy and not shame but it's definitely antimustachian.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 01:44:02 PM »
I follow the blog of someone who picks trash for a living and he's always finding small loose change.

Reminds me of a small town bank owner who would go in each morning with his kids and spend an hour looking through the coins they've collected to see if there are any rare ones in them. Always loved this story.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 01:52:55 PM »
I follow the blog of someone who picks trash for a living and he's always finding small loose change.

Reminds me of a small town bank owner who would go in each morning with his kids and spend an hour looking through the coins they've collected to see if there are any rare ones in them. Always loved this story.
That's super cool, my mom works at a bank and whenever she gets interesting currency she buys it, I have a couple $2 bills and 50 cent coins and stuff like that. I love collecting currency from around the world, especially if it's no longer in circulation.
The blog is https://garbagefinds.com/ if anyone is interested.

squirrel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 02:28:16 PM »
I've watched one of my more spoiled pupils walk up to my classroom bin and discard 61p, three twenties and a penny. As this was during first period, the bin was fairly empty, cue boy and his mates being utterly disgusted (with sound effects) that I would reach in to fish them out!
I always discuss with wasteful kids the simple calculation of "picking up a penny only takes a second" so until I actually earn £36 an hour, it is still worth it for me to do that. I can only hope that idea sticks for a few of them.
As a result of my spoiled brats, most often throwing away mummy and daddy's money, I currently have a fairly healthy classroom/corridor roadkill stache that will pay for a few pens and pencils come September.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 03:25:36 PM »
That's a sweet story. And it really shows that money is worth nothing if you don't need it or want anything it will buy!

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 02:41:08 AM »

That's super cool, my mom works at a bank and whenever she gets interesting currency she buys it, I have a couple $2 bills and 50 cent coins and stuff like that. I love collecting currency from around the world, especially if it's no longer in circulation.
The blog is https://garbagefinds.com/ if anyone is interested.

Me too! I have a casual coin collection and have amassed currency from about 30 countries. Often it's a friend who's been on holiday and has brought back the equivalent of a few pennies and finds it in their purse when I'm out with them and says "What am I going to do with this? I can't change it back!" So I say "I'll have it!" and they're happy to be rid of it. I have lots of pre-Euro currency (pesetas, lire, drachmas) and a few pre-decimalisation UK coins and it never ceases to amaze me that you used to be able to exchange it in a shop for stuff and now you just...can't.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 04:49:19 AM »
I'm a penny trasher myself.  I just deal with physical money so rarely, that there's no point in keeping pennies around.  It would likely be years before I used the penny again.  Sometimes I'll put them on top of the trash can in case someone wants to collect them, but I usually feel bad for littering.

WildJager

• Bristles
    • Can't complain.
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 01:10:09 PM »
I'm a penny trasher myself.  I just deal with physical money so rarely, that there's no point in keeping pennies around.  It would likely be years before I used the penny again.  Sometimes I'll put them on top of the trash can in case someone wants to collect them, but I usually feel bad for littering.

I keep small change in a piggy bank.  When I was little I used to wrap them and bring them to a bank for cash, but with Coinstar I don't bother with that anymore.  Even though Coinstar charges a significant fee ($0.14 per dollar if I remember) it's still worthwhile to me.  I'd say this habit pays for groceries about once a year, even though I rarely use cash.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 01:20:35 PM »
Even though Coinstar charges a significant fee ($0.14 per dollar if I remember) it's still worthwhile to me.  I'd say this habit pays for groceries about once a year, even though I rarely use cash.

If you choose the giftcard option, no fee is charged. It's the best way to go if a merchant on their giftcard list is a place you'd likely shop anyway.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 01:38:06 PM »

I keep small change in a piggy bank.  When I was little I used to wrap them and bring them to a bank for cash, but with Coinstar I don't bother with that anymore.  Even though Coinstar charges a significant fee ($0.14 per dollar if I remember) it's still worthwhile to me.  I'd say this habit pays for groceries about once a year, even though I rarely use cash.

Not sure how much "groceries" is, but it sounds like you spend a couple orders of magnitude more cash than I do.  I'll leave the silver coins in my car for parking meters, but it would take me perhaps 125 years to acquire enough pennies to buy groceries.  I'm thinking a $10 grocery bill, assuming I get 4 pennies in change twice a year.  There are just better things to worry about than handling pennies.

What do you guys buy with cash these days?  Most of what I buy with cash doesn't involve small change at all - if they only take cash it's usually a round number like 5 bucks.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 01:58:41 PM »

Not sure how much "groceries" is, but it sounds like you spend a couple orders of magnitude more cash than I do.  I'll leave the silver coins in my car for parking meters, but it would take me perhaps 125 years to acquire enough pennies to buy groceries.  I'm thinking a $10 grocery bill, assuming I get 4 pennies in change twice a year.  There are just better things to worry about than handling pennies.

What do you guys buy with cash these days?  Most of what I buy with cash doesn't involve small change at all - if they only take cash it's usually a round number like 5 bucks.

Anything that is under $2-3 usually gets cash unless I'm in a rush. And our local dollar theater is cash only. And several venues we frequent are also "minimum charge X" for credit/debit transactions, so they get cash too because I'm not buying something I don't want or need to get the amount up over the minimum.

I also use a piggy bank. It is a real pig-shaped bank painted to look like Frankenstein, so of course it's name is Frankenswine. I usually empty it every year or so and end up with close to $50 in change.

Why not just look at your change when you get it, pick out the quarters if that's all you use, and leave the rest on the counter? Sort of a "take a penny/leave a penny" thing since you don't want them anyway and it happens so rarely for you... either the cashier will take it, or the someone next in line might. At least they won't be cluttering your pockets uselessly or going in the trash that way.

But by all means, please keep leaving your change somewhere others can take it if you don't want it. I also collect coins, and happily one of those times I found some change over the years, I've found some nice pre-1965 90% silver quarters and even mercury dimes and wheat pennies.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:00:31 PM by Frankies Girl »

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2017, 03:27:51 PM »
Years ago, I was finding coins at the bottom of my trash bag, every time I took out my trash to the dumpster. I thought it was strange. It kept happening. And it wasn't just pennies. It was quarters, dimes, etc. Then I realized that my boyfriend, when he came over, would throw loose change out of his pocket, into the trash. Eventually, he wound up living with me because he was broke. No surprise there.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 03:57:49 PM »

I wouldn't say leaving money out is littering. It would be picked up shortly.

Rather than actually trashing them, why not just take them.  Just don't take the change from the cashier.

I also agree that "pennies turn to pounds" relatively quickly. Even if you rarely use cash, putting all your coins in a jar will likely yield a few dollars over the year. My bank takes loose change, cornstar is at most grocery stores, or you could give the jar away to a kid at the end of the year.

Throwing money away, literally, feels SO wasteful.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2017, 05:06:49 PM »

This is a weird post for this particular forum! I get where you're coming from but it would still feel insane to me to actually throw away money. I would happily carry that penny around in my wallet for years!

Vibrissae

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2017, 06:45:42 PM »
I keep a big jar at home and a small bucket at the office and throw all my change in there. Once a year, I cash it all in at the bank and then donate the result to my temple. The amount varies, but I've had as much as $180. :D

WildJager

• Bristles
    • Can't complain.
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2017, 07:58:10 PM »

Small vendors, tolls, etc.  It depends on where you live.  I also keep some cash on hand for tips and what not.  When traveling abroad, I often end up with coins that won't be useful to me at home.  I just leave it with the last check stop or something.  Money is still money, even in trivial amounts.  If I don't want to carry change because I'm traveling light, I'll leave it with the vendor or a beggar.  Throwing coins away in the trash can just seems so wasteful in the long run towards the environment, and the potential use someone else might gain from it.  Not judging you, as apparently this is a common thing, it's just something that seems foreign to me.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2017, 09:06:47 PM »
Yes, if there is a tipping venue or a "leave a penny" tray I will use that.  If a place has a minimum purchase, I get pissy because it's technically against merchant agreement (or used to be?) and ignore it or take my business elsewhere.  I usually only carry an emergency $100 which I'm not going to break for a kit Kat bar or whatever. Actually a pretty good money saving technique.  Most small purchases are faster with cars (2 second approval) and I get at least 1% back so as you say "money is money" why not use a card and get the cash back? 

There is a "support your local business" argument, but unless they offer a cash discount that's a bad transaction- their prices inevitably reflect the assumed cost of credit card transaction.  If there is a cash discount, GREAT, but usually debit qualifies in which case I still don't get change.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2017, 08:25:35 AM »
I wouldn't throw pennies in the trash for environmental reasons, I guess.

I'd rather collect the coins and then use them at some point.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2017, 12:49:04 PM »
It could be just me, but I find something horribly arrogant about literally throwing away currency regardless of the amount. It just seems so shockingly repulsive. But financially and mathematically speaking it's not that different from being mildly wasteful by paying more for a particular product than is necessary. The latter doesn't produce the same visceral response for me. I wonder why.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2017, 06:43:44 PM »

Which environmental reasons? 

Guys, I hate to break it to you but I used to have a large collection of random leftover screws.  The collection kept growing until I finally realized that I was never going to use the screws.  Although the technology for screw recycling technically exists, no garbage company is going to accept them in the recycle bin (it breaks the machines and causes worker hazards).  So I threw them away.  Yes, someday I may need to buy a screw.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2017, 07:32:04 PM »

Guys, I hate to break it to you but I used to have a large collection of random leftover screws.  The collection kept growing until I finally realized that I was never going to use the screws.  Although the technology for screw recycling technically exists, no garbage company is going to accept them in the recycle bin (it breaks the machines and causes worker hazards).  So I threw them away.  Yes, someday I may need to buy a screw.

Sure, but pennies can easily be recycled. They can be spent.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2017, 08:33:39 PM »
At university there was ONE vending machine with a special trait. It accepted any amount of money and would let you cancel. Not special yet? It was the only machine on campus that would not return the coins you put in. It would return the same amount of change but in the highest denomination coins it could.

It was wonderful. I loved that machine. It helped me through four years whenever I needed quarters for the washing machine.

The machines for the self-checkout at my Grocery store suck. Once my basket of groceries cost 7.35$. I decide to put in 4.35$ in nickels and a few dimes. I wanted to get rid of them. After the long task of feeding the machine, I put a 5$ bill in. I expect to get a toonie out. Nope. I get forty nickels.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2017, 12:53:31 AM »

No pennies can rarely be spent without receiving more stupid hard currency in return (and I'm not gonna be the guy paying with $50 in pennies).  Better not to feed into the coin industrial complex at all

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2017, 12:56:36 AM »

No pennies can rarely be spent without receiving more stupid hard currency in return (and I'm not gonna be the guy paying with $50 in pennies).  Better not to feed into the coin industrial complex at all

In Canada, they've eliminated the penny because each of those coins cost more to produce than it was worth. Everything is rounded to the next 5 cents and none of the kids have a problem with the concept of rounding to the nearest 5.

Feivel2000

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2017, 04:37:17 AM »

What? If anything, pennies reduce the needed change. If you have to pay $1,59 and give $2,09 (using only 9 pennies), you get less change.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2017, 09:28:24 AM »
At university there was ONE vending machine with a special trait. It accepted any amount of money and would let you cancel. Not special yet? It was the only machine on campus that would not return the coins you put in. It would return the same amount of change but in the highest denomination coins it could.

It was wonderful. I loved that machine. It helped me through four years whenever I needed quarters for the washing machine.

I used the same "hack" when I was at university as well. Laundry quarters were valuable tokens!

One of the other old coin "hacks" we used to do was using bunches of pennies at toll road plazas. The automated collection baskets seemed to need an eternity to count them all. And then one day pennies were no longer accepted in those machines. :(

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2017, 05:47:47 PM »

What? If anything, pennies reduce the needed change. If you have to pay $1,59 and give $2,09 (using only 9 pennies), you get less change.

My point is that I'll still probably get change unless the total is X.01-X.04.  Unless you want me to also start walking around with other coins, too.  Like three quarters, two dimes, a nickel, and four pennies.  That's 10 coins jangling in my pocket... not worth it for the 4 cent "payoff" every 6 months.  Using the 4% rule, I'd gladly pay $2 to never have to deal with pennies again.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2017, 09:03:54 AM »
I really enjoyed that story :)  Agree with the poster that you could hear the love and sweetness in the telling.  (And also with the OP that part of truly loving/accepting someone is being able to rib and tease them)

My found coin story:  When we moved into our current rental home, I found dimes tucked in all of the baseboard - like between the floor and baseboard.  I picked all of them up and added them to the piggy bank.  It's been over 2 years since we moved in, and I'm still finding dimes when I clean the house! (some sort of house-fairy?  maybe if I cleaned more often I'd get a better return....)

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2017, 11:34:16 AM »
I very rarely use cash for anything, but I can't bring myself to throw away money, even if it is just a penny, so I had a jar of coins on my bookshelf that they would all go into.  I've probably been putting coins into it for 5 years and I thought it was mostly pennies, but I took it to the coinstar machine a few week ago and there was over $130 in it!  By choosing an amazon gift card I didn't even have to pay the fee!  It's the same idea as using ibotta or Checkout51 for grocery rebates.  Each one is only $0.10 or $0.20 but it adds up.  So far I've got over $100 between the two apps.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2017, 10:11:36 AM »
I would never pay for some large amount using pennies, but I use them to pay for coffees, donuts, etc. I'll use a few pennies to get back even change. I get the occasional cashier who doesn't have the patience to wait for me to count out a few coins. But I'd rather use cash for small purchases.  I know it's probably easier for them if I swipe a debit card, but I don't want to use that for small purchases.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2017, 11:06:29 AM »
I wasn't sure I would like it when Canada dropped pennies, but it makes life so much easier. It feels odd to use pennies when I am in the U.S.   Of course it also seems odd to have $1 bills given in change there, they make my wallet so fat when they could be space-saving loonies.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2017, 12:52:53 PM »
I wasn't sure I would like it when Canada dropped pennies, but it makes life so much easier. It feels odd to use pennies when I am in the U.S.   Of course it also seems odd to have $1 bills given in change there, they make my wallet so fat when they could be space-saving loonies.

Before the all-electronic was possible, I used to be a dollar hoarder.  I didn't want to carry those bulky ones around, but unlike the penny they were actually worth something.  So I had a "dollar box" where I threw all my dollars.  At some point I had to cash them in for something but was busy that day, so my girlfriend at the time volunteered to do it for me.  Poor naive girlfriend probably got some strange looks from the teller.

Reynold

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2017, 03:17:58 PM »

If you want to park in front of the post office in my town, the meters take only pennies and nickles. 

I did find it interesting when I was in Germany, pre Euro, that I never saw coins smaller than 1/10 of a Deutche Mark used until I went to a grocery store.  Only there were prices in units which could add up to less, the equivalent of pennies in the U.S. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2017, 04:58:53 PM »

If you want to park in front of the post office in my town, the meters take only pennies and nickles. 

I did find it interesting when I was in Germany, pre Euro, that I never saw coins smaller than 1/10 of a Deutche Mark used until I went to a grocery store.  Only there were prices in units which could add up to less, the equivalent of pennies in the U.S.

In my town, nickels have pictures of bumblebees on em.  Gimme five bees for a quarter, we say.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2017, 01:29:58 AM »
I find it funny how y'all have all these names for money! In England there might be a couple of regional nicknames but I've never heard them. We call a 10p a 10p and a pound a pound!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2017, 01:52:46 AM »
I find it funny how y'all have all these names for money! In England there might be a couple of regional nicknames but I've never heard them. We call a 10p a 10p and a pound a pound!

I still miss the farthing and groat

Yeah, good thing England never had any weird names for their money
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 01:54:28 AM by dragoncar »