Around the Internet > Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy

Libraries are unethical

(1/14) > >>

TrudgingAlong:
I recently read through a Facebook thread that started as someone trying to find a personal finance book at the library, but quickly devolved into people calling the guy cheap for not buying this supposedly life changing book (for the record, I borrowed it, too, and was super glad I didn’t buy the book because it just wasn’t useful to me where I was at in finances and investing). Then they took it a step further and started arguing how unethical it was to borrow a book and not pay the author.

The kicker? It was the ChooseFI FB group. I think it might be time for me to leave that one behind....

Gin1984:
The author gets paid more for a library copy than a regular copy.

ditheca:
Source on that Gin1984? Last I checked, my local library accepts donations...

AMandM:

--- Quote from: ditheca on April 14, 2018, 01:27:22 PM ---Source on that Gin1984? Last I checked, my local library accepts donations...

--- End quote ---

But are they for the shelves? At my library, donated books go to the used-book-sale fundraiser.

TrudgingAlong:
Yes, that argument was brought up. They didn’t seem to care. My property taxes are several hundred a year, so no way am I not going to use the library, nor do I want all these books cluttering up my house.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version