Author Topic: Let's watch Hamilton! For the fourth time!  (Read 50974 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Let's watch Hamilton! For the fourth time!
« Reply #150 on: December 27, 2018, 12:28:13 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7sm49fHlyI

People who are familiar with "Hamilton" as well as the "Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer" story from the 1960's will really like this.
Hamildolph - I love it!

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: February 27, 2019, 12:03:51 PM »
You know the show got cancelled in Chicago after their recent bad weather.

It was the second time brrrrr killed Hamilton.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #152 on: April 24, 2019, 01:40:19 AM »
OMG, just saw Hamilton in SF for the second time. We had fourth row seats, which at first seemed too close, but they were awesome! We did not expect to be blown away, but we were, and then some. Worth. It.

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #153 on: April 24, 2019, 07:21:22 AM »
My daughter's crazy about Hamilton. She has the soundtrack memorized, and has watched a recording of the show (somebody's shaky camera phone) a few times.

I looked into ticket prices for when it comes to Philadelphia, and it's not happening. She may move on to some other obsession by the time it gets here, so I'm not that concerned about her missing out on seeing it live.

They have a lottery to purchase tickets for $10.  I didn't win when it was in town but my wife's friend did.  The tickets were in the third row.  https://hamiltonmusical.com/lottery/  There is a separate drawing each day. 

I gave up on winning and bought tickets on the second hand market.  It was good but not OH MY GOD! THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER! as some people lead you to believe. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #154 on: November 03, 2020, 09:20:46 PM »
Reviving this thread to share this with all you Hamilton fans out there:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/hamilton-star-leslie-odom-jr-wait-for-it-election-results-193435201.html

Squeeeeeeee!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #155 on: November 04, 2020, 12:28:10 PM »
I did enjoy the ad.

Leslie Odom has been so hot lately, getting to kill both Alexander Hamilton and Jesus. Great talent.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #156 on: April 17, 2021, 10:18:32 AM »
Just popping in and reviving the thread here to mention this: "No, I still haven't seen Hamilton"

lol

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #157 on: April 19, 2021, 06:31:12 AM »
I've been revisiting the soundtrack to "Moana" lately (Pandemic doesn't permit much time in the car alone for "Hamilton"). It's quality. When that movie came out, my son was so young that my wife and I took our daughter to see it in theatre 2x in one weekend. The facepunch for me should be less severe because--right before entering theatre--I offered my daughter a good swig of a drink I had in the car if she promised that we wouldn't buy any drink in the theatre.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #158 on: April 19, 2021, 09:07:58 AM »
Just popping in and reviving the thread here to mention this: "No, I still haven't seen Hamilton"

lol

You could always sign up for Disney+ for a month and watch it there.  I'm really late to this thread and haven't read through all the postings, so maybe its already been discussed.  My wife and I signed up and watched it this past summer--- was really fantastic!  We did have to put on closed captioning (english isn't her native language) to figure out the lyrics, especially at the beginning. 

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #159 on: April 19, 2021, 09:19:02 AM »
I watched it on Disney+ the day it was released.  It might be the one thing I miss from where I gave up Disney+ (the kiddo decided he'd rather have Boomerang and I try not to have more than three streaming subscriptions at any one time).  I am trying to get tickets for the touring company's version at the Fox in Atlanta. 

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #160 on: April 19, 2021, 09:38:19 AM »
I watched it on Disney+ the day it was released.  It might be the one thing I miss from where I gave up Disney+ (the kiddo decided he'd rather have Boomerang and I try not to have more than three streaming subscriptions at any one time).  I am trying to get tickets for the touring company's version at the Fox in Atlanta.
I am not a fan of musicals so have not been compelled to watch Hamilton, but I *AM* a fan of the Fox theaters, both Atlanta’s and St. Louis’. Fabulous old things they are.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: April 19, 2021, 10:13:36 AM »
I am not a fan of musicals so have not been compelled to watch Hamilton, but I *AM* a fan of the Fox theaters, both Atlanta’s and St. Louis’. Fabulous old things they are.

I'm not a huge fan of musicals either, but Hamilton is worth watching.  Or at least listening to the soundtrack. 

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #162 on: April 19, 2021, 10:16:27 AM »
If you have Amazon Prime, you can stream the soundtrack free.  It's definitely one of the better musicals I've seen/heard.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #163 on: April 19, 2021, 11:09:17 AM »

I actually despise musicals. Hamilton is a very rare exception for me.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #164 on: April 19, 2021, 02:32:22 PM »
Just found out I can watch it the documentary of the production through our local library's Hoopla service.
Between the physical library catalog and their e-services, they have pretty much everything covered :)

Edit: Hoopla has the documentary.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 09:36:58 AM by GreenToTheCore »

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #165 on: April 19, 2021, 02:35:28 PM »

Me too.  We caught Aladdin on Broadway right before the world shut down and it wasn't bad.  Yay for the cheap ticket lottery.  But it's also Disney so I feel like that kind of doesn't count.  It was a good first Broadway experience for the kiddo too.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #166 on: April 19, 2021, 09:55:01 PM »

Me too.  We caught Aladdin on Broadway right before the world shut down and it wasn't bad.  Yay for the cheap ticket lottery.  But it's also Disney so I feel like that kind of doesn't count.  It was a good first Broadway experience for the kiddo too.

A Disney musical definitely counts as a musical and sorry, but for me,  is twice the pain of your standard American Musical performance.

I remember attending The Lion King, the stage production, because the costumes were supposed to be so fabulous. That was not a good experience for me, the music was so un-memorable.

Hamilton had better have hummable tunes if I am to see it.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: April 20, 2021, 04:00:02 AM »
Just found out I can watch it through our local library's Hoopla service.
Between the physical library catalog and their e-services, they have pretty much everything covered :)

We like Hoopla, but I don’t think they have the theatre production. I saw the audio soundtrack and a documentary of the play available there. Please tell me I’m wrong, as it would be nice to watch again.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: April 20, 2021, 04:11:36 AM »

A Disney musical definitely counts as a musical and sorry, but for me,  is twice the pain of your standard American Musical performance.

I remember attending The Lion King, the stage production, because the costumes were supposed to be so fabulous. That was not a good experience for me, the music was so un-memorable.

Hamilton had better have hummable tunes if I am to see it.

I can see that.  Aladdin was just coming out in theaters when I was in prime Disney fanhood age, so it has a hint of nostalgia for me.  I'm not entirely sure that my kid has seen the actual movie though.  We've never intentionally pushed Disney, hence his wanting the Boomerang app over Disney+.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #169 on: April 20, 2021, 06:40:57 AM »

I'm not generally a fan of musicals. Hamilton is good stuff. I haven't seen it live but was grateful for the opportunity to see the original cast on Disney+.

(I also liked Book of Mormon and Sweeney Todd. Most others are far too cloying for my taste.)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #170 on: April 20, 2021, 06:58:33 AM »
You guys are killing me! Time to go watch Hamilton again. Actually, we're about to embark on an RV trip to CO. Eighteen hours each way. Happily, the Hamilton soundtrack is on my phone...

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #171 on: April 20, 2021, 07:23:56 AM »
A part of the tragedy of COVID--alongside many others--was Disney pulling the plug on their stage version of "Frozen". They'd added a lot of new music, making IMHO the character of Elsa much deeper and multi-dimensional than in the movie. Also an excellent song about the Norwegian word "Hygge" meaning a general time of comfort and family togetherness.

I was hoping to get to see it one day, but I'll just have to settle for the youtube version for now.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #172 on: April 20, 2021, 08:28:37 AM »

I'm not generally a fan of musicals. Hamilton is good stuff. I haven't seen it live but was grateful for the opportunity to see the original cast on Disney+.

(I also liked Book of Mormon and Sweeney Todd. Most others are far too cloying for my taste.)

Musical SuperNerd here - if you liked Sweeney, I encourage you to explore the rest of Sondheim. Assassins, Pacific Overtures, and Passion are all wack but wonderful and about as far from Disney or Rogers and Hammerstein as you can get :)  Also Ragtime. Ragtime for ever. The music is so pretty it can feel saccharine a few times - but it is dark.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 08:39:57 AM by StarBright »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #173 on: April 20, 2021, 08:59:44 AM »
If you want a musical based on historical events, Come From Away has great songs and a relevant story line (planes diverted to Gander because of 9/11).

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #174 on: April 20, 2021, 09:15:28 AM »
If you want a musical based on historical events, Come From Away has great songs and a relevant story line (planes diverted to Gander because of 9/11).

I missed that one last xmas when the touring version came through town.  I read the book it was based off of and really, really wanted to see it.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #175 on: April 20, 2021, 09:35:11 AM »
Just found out I can watch it through our local library's Hoopla service.

We like Hoopla, but I don’t think they have the theatre production. I saw the audio soundtrack and a documentary of the play available there. Please tell me I’m wrong, as it would be nice to watch again.

Dang it, you are correct. It's the documentary of the play. Thanks for catching that!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #176 on: April 20, 2021, 09:38:00 AM »

I missed that one last xmas when the touring version came through town.  I read the book it was based off of and really, really wanted to see it.
Me, too. A friend of mine saw this back to back with Hamilton and said she liked them both equally. I've experienced the Maritime hospitality, and I'd really like to see Come From Away.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #177 on: April 20, 2021, 10:27:01 AM »

Yep. Basically, Hamilton and Book of Mormon are the only ones I've been able to stomach in recent years. But I love them both.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #178 on: April 20, 2021, 12:50:40 PM »

Yep. Basically, Hamilton and Book of Mormon are the only ones I've been able to stomach in recent years. But I love them both.

If you haven't seen Sweeney Todd, I think you'd enjoy it. It's funny and very dark. My husband also hates musicals but really liked that one; I made him join me to watch a friend's performance, and then he actually volunteered to see the Johnny Depp/Helena Bonham Carter/Alan Rickman movie version.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #179 on: April 20, 2021, 03:00:36 PM »

If you haven't seen Sweeney Todd, I think you'd enjoy it. It's funny and very dark. My husband also hates musicals but really liked that one; I made him join me to watch a friend's performance, and then he actually volunteered to see the Johnny Depp/Helena Bonham Carter/Alan Rickman movie version.

People have told me that. I should watch the movie. I only know the barest details about that show.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #180 on: April 22, 2021, 06:57:36 AM »

Take away Johnny Depp, and it's a "Harry Potter" death eaters reunion.

Take away Alan Rickman, and it's a "Charlie and the Chocolate factory" reunion.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #181 on: April 22, 2021, 08:52:06 AM »

Take away Johnny Depp, and it's a "Harry Potter" death eaters reunion.

Take away Alan Rickman, and it's a "Charlie and the Chocolate factory" reunion.

Take away Helena Bohnam Carter, and there's no point in watching it.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #182 on: April 23, 2021, 07:56:27 AM »
I'll cop to having been disappointed with HBC in the "Cinderella" remake that came out about four years ago.

Master of None

• Bristles
« Reply #183 on: April 23, 2021, 11:51:33 AM »
I tried to enjoy Hamilton...I really did. I'm a huge musical fan but Hamilton just doesn't do it for me. I do enjoy about 5 of the tracks. I finally watched it on Disney+ and unfortunately for my wife my opinion didn't change. I'm not a fan of Lin-Manuel Miranda's voice at all. He is a fantastic writer and musician, but his voice just doesn't do it for me. I have recently started listening to the Hadestown soundtrack and have been enjoying that. Seems like a show I would enjoy seeing. Book of Morman is wonderful and hilarious as well!

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #184 on: April 23, 2021, 12:33:55 PM »
I'll cop to having been disappointed with HBC in the "Cinderella" remake that came out about four years ago.

Even when it comes to great actors and actresses, I think you have to let one go every so often as a "I couldn't turn down the big bag of money" or "I owed someone a favor" film.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #185 on: May 16, 2021, 11:11:12 AM »
I tried to enjoy Hamilton...I really did. I'm a huge musical fan but Hamilton just doesn't do it for me. I do enjoy about 5 of the tracks. I finally watched it on Disney+ and unfortunately for my wife my opinion didn't change. I'm not a fan of Lin-Manuel Miranda's voice at all. He is a fantastic writer and musician, but his voice just doesn't do it for me. I have recently started listening to the Hadestown soundtrack and have been enjoying that. Seems like a show I would enjoy seeing. Book of Morman is wonderful and hilarious as well!
LMM freely admits to not having the best voice, which I find endearing. We just took a long road trip and listened to the full Hamilton sound track coming and going. It's true, but I don't care. I've been home a week and those songs and lyrics are still swirling in my brain. What he achieved is an incredible feat.

In between those two listening sessions, I read that for the first few months, Renee Elise Goldsberry lived in fear that she wasn't good enough and her role would be recast. Hard to imagine.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #186 on: September 16, 2021, 02:13:55 PM »
Sorry to resurrect this from the dead, but guess who just won $10 tickets to see the traveling stage production in Atlanta? 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #187 on: September 16, 2021, 06:03:05 PM »
Sorry to resurrect this from the dead, but guess who just won $10 tickets to see the traveling stage production in Atlanta?
Good for you for entering the lottery. Absolutely the best way to "gamble" ever. Watch everything you can on You Tube. If you have Disney + watch the movie with the captions on. I'd go so far as to sign up for the 30-day trial and binge watch the heck out of it. It will greatly enhance your experience. Google tells me it's at the Fox. I love that theater. What fun!

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #188 on: September 17, 2021, 03:05:41 AM »
Good for you for entering the lottery. Absolutely the best way to "gamble" ever. Watch everything you can on You Tube. If you have Disney + watch the movie with the captions on. I'd go so far as to sign up for the 30-day trial and binge watch the heck out of it. It will greatly enhance your experience. Google tells me it's at the Fox. I love that theater. What fun!

Congratulations Sugaree! A couple of years ago, I also won the $10 tickets. I just saw it 2 weeks ago at the Fox. Fantastic and beautiful theatre! Enjoy.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #189 on: September 17, 2021, 04:28:38 AM »

Congratulations Sugaree! A couple of years ago, I also won the $10 tickets. I just saw it 2 weeks ago at the Fox. Fantastic and beautiful theatre! Enjoy.

I *love* the Fox, but haven't been in years.  I think the last time might have been the time my MIL drug us all to see Celtic Thunder.

We won Aladdin tickets when we were in NYC right before the world shut down.  That was the only way I was going to risk taking my kid to a Broadway show.  I'd had to remove him from the Elf musical at intermission when it came to our local performing arts center a couple of years before and didn't want to risk it.  But he did great at Aladdin (and the Rockettes) and is right now super upset that he's not getting to go to Hamilton.  I think he's currently in negotiations with his dad over what it would take for his dad to give up his ticket.  I suspect that it's going to end up costing me tickets to both the lightwire version of Tortoise and the Hare and the Rudolph musical. 

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #190 on: September 17, 2021, 06:16:28 AM »

I had listened to the whole musical perhaps a dozen times when I saw it live in 2018 (in Charlotte). It was perhaps the greatest experience I have had, even with them using an under-study for Lafayette who had to rap the lines without a French accent in "Guns and Ships". Dude was actually a great Jefferson, tho.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #191 on: September 17, 2021, 06:20:25 AM »

I had listened to the whole musical perhaps a dozen times when I saw it live in 2018 (in Charlotte). It was perhaps the greatest experience I have had, even with them using an under-study for Lafayette who had to rap the lines without a French accent in "Guns and Ships". Dude was actually a great Jefferson, tho.

I've probably watched it through at least 6 times on Disney and listen to it pretty often in the car.  We dropped Disney in exchange for Boomerang this year (I have a policy of having no more than 3 streaming services active at once).  I can't wait to switch back.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #192 on: September 17, 2021, 06:55:10 AM »
I've watched Hamilton about 5 times on Disney+. So great. I have tickets for it when it comes through - was supposed to be pre-covid, now will be post (I hope). We bought seasons tickets in order to get Hamilton tickets at cost....and then sold the tickets to the other shows that we didn't want to see. : )

Someone mentioned Come From Away. Incredible show that I've seen live and I also watched it on Apple last weekend on Sept 11. That show breaks the record for full-on crying with tears rolling down my face while simultaneously laughing my ass off. (I'm from Newfoundland but live away)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #193 on: September 17, 2021, 08:43:24 AM »
I've watched Hamilton about 5 times on Disney+. So great. I have tickets for it when it comes through - was supposed to be pre-covid, now will be post (I hope). We bought seasons tickets in order to get Hamilton tickets at cost....and then sold the tickets to the other shows that we didn't want to see. : )

Someone mentioned Come From Away. Incredible show that I've seen live and I also watched it on Apple last weekend on Sept 11. That show breaks the record for full-on crying with tears rolling down my face while simultaneously laughing my ass off. (I'm from Newfoundland but live away)
A friend of mine saw Hamilton in SF, then Come From Away in NY the following week. She loved them both and said it was a toss-up which one was better. I didn't know CFA was available on Apple. Hmmm, our kid might have that.

Also, inspired by @Sugaree's post, I flipped on Disney+ last night. Seems the last time I was watching Hamilton, I didn't finish. I watched the last 40 minutes, beginning with "Burn". I remembered that I had been watching it with captions on (taking my own advice, lol) for the first time and been too exhausted to finish. Now I can start all over, yippee!

Disney+ was a gift from my Bonus Kid,. I've never watched anything but Hamilton on it. I generally avoid the whole Disney Machine assiduously. If there's anything else there worth watching, I'd love some suggestions. Even if I'm not paying for it directly, I hate for it to go to waste, though so far it's cost Bonus Kid less than a single (non-lottery) Hamilton ticket. I don't want to derail this thread. You can PM me or drop a mention in my journal (link below).

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #194 on: September 17, 2021, 09:48:50 AM »
Ralph Bakshi has produced a series of shorts featuring the Mickey/Donald/Goofy characters, and they are excellent. If you liked his other work, you should consider, @Dicey