Author Topic: Let's watch Hamilton! For the fourth time!  (Read 50860 times)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
Re: Let's watch Hamilton! For the fourth time!
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2017, 09:52:01 AM »
My sister is coming into town for something else, and texted me she and her husband are going to see Hamilton while they're here, would we like to join them.  So we said sure.  Tickets are expensive but not absurd; $270/ea for okay seats.  We were planning to attend a concert this summer for nearly that amount anyways, we decided to just do this instead.  Will see how it is in September. 

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2017, 10:37:14 AM »
Holy crap, tickets in the Seattle area can run $500 to nearly $1200 each!!

I saw Jersey Boys when I won tickets at an office Christmas party. It was good, but I wouldn't have paid $120 each to see it. Hamilton must be incredible. I'll be looking up that documentary to watch, for sure.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2017, 02:24:43 PM »
Reviving this thread with a question. Does anyone have a link to the PBS Hamilton Documentary?  I believe it was published somewhere on the forum and I'd love to watch it again, but I'm having no luck finding it. Thanks!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2017, 02:38:42 PM »
Reviving this thread with a question. Does anyone have a link to the PBS Hamilton Documentary?  I believe it was published somewhere on the forum and I'd love to watch it again, but I'm having no luck finding it. Thanks!
http://www.pbs.org/video/2365870668/
I think the membership is free but I'm not sure

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2017, 11:53:00 PM »
Thanks, BlueHouse. I believe someone posted the actual link previously, which is what I'm still hoping to find.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2017, 07:56:31 AM »
My daughter was asking me who Angelica married (John Barker Church).

While he does not have the accomplishment of designing the financial system of the most powerful economy in the world, he actually appears to have been interesting in his own right (if you believe his wikipedia page), including spending six years as an elected member of Parliament.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2017, 07:28:49 AM »
I haven't looked into seeing Hamilton yet near me, but I'd definitely enter that lottery that others are mentioning!  Which reminds me...

When I was in high school, the musical to see was RENT.  I was heavy into choir and whatnot so we were all obsessed.  When it came to our town, my lovely, frugal-by-necessity and then by choice single father took a morning off work to wait in line for the $20 front row seats (similar to the program someone else mentioned).  We were front row just off center, and I loved every minute of it (and my Dad, extra, for doing it for me... couldn't have been easy to sit next to 15 year old me in such a... mature... show, lol).

I also realllllly want to see the Aladdin production, but we don't have a line in YNAB for pricey musicals (yet!)

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2017, 09:01:38 AM »
Read the thread and all I can leave with is...

Why don't people make a Game of Thrones:Musical Edition

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2017, 09:35:02 AM »

Because the people with the best voices are often not the ones you'd want to see naked.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2017, 10:10:47 AM »
Just what we need: one more project to distract GRRM from finishing those damn books!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2017, 11:21:08 AM »
I haven't looked into seeing Hamilton yet near me, but I'd definitely enter that lottery that others are mentioning!  Which reminds me...

When I was in high school, the musical to see was RENT.  I was heavy into choir and whatnot so we were all obsessed.  When it came to our town, my lovely, frugal-by-necessity and then by choice single father took a morning off work to wait in line for the $20 front row seats (similar to the program someone else mentioned).  We were front row just off center, and I loved every minute of it (and my Dad, extra, for doing it for me... couldn't have been easy to sit next to 15 year old me in such a... mature... show, lol).

I also realllllly want to see the Aladdin production, but we don't have a line in YNAB for pricey musicals (yet!)

RENT is really to thank for all the low cost lotteries that exist now.  I'm not sure if anyone did it before them, but they popularized it.  I doubt we'd have the $10 "ham for ham" tickets if RENT wasn't a pioneer in that area.  (Hamilton really went beyond it though making the lottery a show on it's own, before it all went online.)

I've seen Book of Mormon twice, and I nearly cried when I had to pay $100 (for inexpensive) seats in Iowa. I saw it on Broadway for $25 in standing room only.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2017, 11:51:24 AM »

RENT is really to thank for all the low cost lotteries that exist now.  I'm not sure if anyone did it before them, but they popularized it.  I doubt we'd have the $10 "ham for ham" tickets if RENT wasn't a pioneer in that area.  (Hamilton really went beyond it though making the lottery a show on it's own, before it all went online.)

A bunch of my friends and I camped out one night on the street to get front row tickets for Rent back in, maybe it was 1997? Peeing in Port Authority at 4 am -- good times! I had my guitar and we low-key drank some wine and it was a blast.

As I recall we were all so wrecked from not sleeping that we all weepy hysterically throughout the whole show!

IllusionNW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2017, 03:11:36 PM »
DH and I love musicals.  I watched the Broadway production of Rent in high school and fell in love with it.  When we started dating in college, I introduced him to Rent and we became obsessed.

When we heard that Hamilton would be touring through our town, we totally bought season tickets for every.single.show.  As season ticket subscribers, we also got first pick for Hamilton tickets when the single seats opened.  And I can't wait.  Is it a splurge?  Absolutely.  Does it bring DH and me intense amounts of joy.  Yes.

We're technically FI, so we are comfortable spending money on things that bring us joy or buy us time.  The amount of joy that Hamilton brings us probably can't even be quantified.  So I think it's probably worth it for us.

PS.  The PBS documentary is amazing and really makes you appreciate the music that much more.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2017, 10:27:39 PM »
Loved Hamilton, loved Rent. Happy to report that Hamilton will be returning to the Bay Area next year. Hell yes, we'll be going again. Just sayin'.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2017, 08:50:37 AM »
I'm not familiar with Rent. Does the summary at the beginning of "Team America: World Police" pretty much nail it?

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2017, 09:22:43 AM »
Loved Hamilton, loved Rent. Happy to report that Hamilton will be returning to the Bay Area next year. Hell yes, we'll be going again. Just sayin'.

You have nearly 6,000 posts on this forum! Have you not read one thing on this forum!  If you spend money on something others see no value in, then you are to be publicly shamed and face punched!

:flick: :flick:

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2017, 09:45:55 PM »

You have nearly 6,000 posts on this forum! Have you not read one thing on this forum!  If you spend money on something others see no value in, then you are to be publicly shamed and face punched!

Eh, fuck 'em, we can totally afford it. Also, I believe I mentioned DH sold some stuff he inherited and wasn't using and we paid a comparatively reasonable number of Hamiltons for the tickets + free(-ish)* hotel night, courtesy of our IHG Rewards Card. Mustachianism all the way, baby!

Oh and next year? We'll still have the rest of the money from selling said shit er, stuff, and another free(-ish)* hotel night, courtesy of the IHG card. I seriously doubt we'll see Hamilton four times, but twice is a definite possibility.

*Yeah, I know the IHG card costs $49 bucks a year. We have two of them. Our combined points total upward of 700,000, so we could have used those to get a free free night, but the annual free nights expire and the points don't so we use the annual ones up first. Capiche?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2017, 08:41:18 AM »
I'm not familiar with Rent. Does the summary at the beginning of "Team America: World Police" pretty much nail it?

Oh, it's slightly more nuanced than that. It's not just AIDS- but drugs too!

(The song "I'll Cover You" from Rent  was my first dance at my wedding.  One of our groomsmen then came over and sang the song from Team America to us. So romantic.  Also, Team America was amazing. We still "signal" each other whenever we are in trouble.)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2017, 08:44:15 AM »

Jealous.  I think I've decided that it's cheaper for me to travel to NY or Chicago and buy tickets at face value than to wait for it to come to DC and buy from reseller.  Crazy!

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2017, 09:02:39 AM »
I'm a musical person. I love, love musicals. I have many memorized and play the soundtracks all the time. I've seen RENT over ten times and many others more than once.

I'm still not seeing Hamilton until prices come down. It's finally coming to my city in 2018 and I'm not sure we'll get to see it. I have to admit I'm pretty jealous when people I know who aren't even musical people have all seen it, and I haven't. But it's become about more than liking the musical. It's now some kind of status symbol--I've heard "have you seen Hamilton yet? It's AMAZING" at multiple social events with my peer group. I've known at least five couples who went to New York for a weekend JUST to see Hamilton. They then FB-brag about it while everyone posts jealous comments on their pictures. And we don't play this game.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2017, 09:04:46 AM »

(The song "I'll Cover You" from Rent  was my first dance at my wedding. 

From another RENT fan, I love this! :)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2017, 12:05:00 AM »

Eh, fuck 'em, we can totally afford it. Also, I believe I mentioned DH sold some stuff he inherited and wasn't using and we paid a comparatively reasonable number of Hamiltons for the tickets + free(-ish)* hotel night, courtesy of our IHG Rewards Card. Mustachianism all the way, baby!

Oh and next year? We'll still have the rest of the money from selling said shit er, stuff, and another free(-ish)* hotel night, courtesy of the IHG card. I seriously doubt we'll see Hamilton four times, but twice is a definite possibility.

*Yeah, I know the IHG card costs $49 bucks a year. We have two of them. Our combined points total upward of 700,000, so we could have used those to get a free free night, but the annual free nights expire and the points don't so we use the annual ones up first. Capiche?

Four times is the limit, so you should be good... :P

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2017, 03:03:07 AM »

Because the people with the best voices are often not the ones you'd want to see naked.

If you're wasting time watching Game of Thrones for the off chance you'll see boobs you're going to be blown away by what I have to tell you about this whole 'internet' thing . . .

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2017, 07:56:45 AM »

If you're wasting time watching Game of Thrones for the off chance you'll see boobs you're going to be blown away by what I have to tell you about this whole 'internet' thing . . .

I haven't gotten around to seeing even one episode. But I did read the books. There's a great deal of nudity there but you have to use your imagination.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2017, 08:00:08 AM »

Internet? Are you some kind of scientist?

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2017, 03:34:09 PM »
One of the best musicals ever! I wish I could afford to see it live once...

I absolutely detest musicals but the Hamilton sound track is an exception. I love the Soundtrack and it's made me really want to see it and I cannot re-iterate enough how much musicals annoy and bore the devils out of me. There is not one musical that hasn't irritated me. If there was one I was partial to, I fast forwarded everything and only went with the songs I like.

It's sad I am in FL, if I was still in the North East, I'd be like fuck mustachianism, I am going to hamilton. I am all about frugality and always pay my bills and save as much as I can but there are experiences I won't skimp out on.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 03:40:25 PM by Rimu05 »

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2017, 03:42:09 PM »

I haven't gotten around to seeing even one episode. But I did read the books. There's a great deal of nudity there but you have to use your imagination.

I too came from the books and the TV show surprised with the amount of nudity. I was like, was A Song of Ice and Fire this raunchy, but my interest really tamed when the show over took the books. They said the show is going a different direction but I still feel like the large events in the show will happen in the book. I mean book readers have been theorizing a lot of the stuff in the show.

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2017, 02:13:07 PM »
Hamilton has a lottery in 3 cities: Los Angeles, Chicago, and New York. Lottery winners are allowed to purchase 2 tickets for $10 each, and seats are typically in the first or second row.
Well, on Thanksgiving, I found out I won the NYC Hamilton lottery for a 2pm show the following day!
I ended up using my miles and points to get us airfare and a hotel for 2 nights to NYC on Friday to see the show!
I still had to pay fees with using the airline mileage and restaurants in NYC are very expensive, but I was as frugal as I could be.
I highly recommend the Hamilton lottery!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2017, 07:25:21 AM »
Score!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2017, 08:47:14 AM »
Hamilton has a lottery in 3 cities: Los Angeles, Chicago, and New York. Lottery winners are allowed to purchase 2 tickets for $10 each, and seats are typically in the first or second row.
Well, on Thanksgiving, I found out I won the NYC Hamilton lottery for a 2pm show the following day!
I ended up using my miles and points to get us airfare and a hotel for 2 nights to NYC on Friday to see the show!
I still had to pay fees with using the airline mileage and restaurants in NYC are very expensive, but I was as frugal as I could be.

That's amazing! 

I've never considered entering when I wasn't in the city.  (But broadway lotteries are the best way to see shows!)

(Also- I read "For the fourth time" to the melody of "one last time" every single time this thread title pops up.)

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2017, 06:45:19 PM »

That's amazing! 

I've never considered entering when I wasn't in the city.  (But broadway lotteries are the best way to see shows!)

(Also- I read "For the fourth time" to the melody of "one last time" every single time this thread title pops up.)
I love that you sing the One Last Time melody when you read the thread title!

If you decide to enter the lottery for a city you are not currently in, I recommend doing a bit of advance planning on how you would pay for the airfare and hotel on the off-chance you win. I wish I would have done that. It was pretty stressful to spend Thanksgiving day researching the optimal way to use my miles and points.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2017, 07:55:13 AM »

That's amazing! 

Iowajes's coming ho-o-ome!

(for the fourth time)

Iowajes's coming ho-o-ome!

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2017, 08:16:20 AM »
I've been playing the LA lottery for six months now without luck. Congrats on getting tickets, frozen! Can't believe you'll fly to NYC just to see Hamilton. That sounds like the kind of anti-mustachian mentality this thread was making fun of :). It's cool you can use points, at least.

We finally got tickets here in San Diego! We are pretty much at the top of the balcony, and we were signed into the website the minute they went on sale. It was "only" $220 for the pair, a win as far as Hamilton is concerned, I suppose?

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2017, 02:02:53 PM »
What a cave I live in.

Hamilton...first I heard about it is when this thread popped to the top today.

I'll file it away.  Maybe if it comes to my city someday and tickets are cheap (less than $100 per) I'll check it out.

So I probably won't ever see it...   I'm OK with that.  What are 'regular' ticket prices for plays anyway?

frozen

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2017, 08:24:46 PM »
I've been playing the LA lottery for six months now without luck. Congrats on getting tickets, frozen! Can't believe you'll fly to NYC just to see Hamilton. That sounds like the kind of anti-mustachian mentality this thread was making fun of :). It's cool you can use points, at least.

We finally got tickets here in San Diego! We are pretty much at the top of the balcony, and we were signed into the website the minute they went on sale. It was "only" $220 for the pair, a win as far as Hamilton is concerned, I suppose?
Keep playing — it took me 1.5 years of entering on a regular basis to win. It seems like you got tickets at a great price!

Yes, perhaps I belong on the wall of shame, but I have stockpiled tons of miles and points, so it was a great excuse to use them. Plus it was an awesome weekend!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 08:27:18 PM by frozen »

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2017, 08:51:59 PM »
We got Hamilton tickets for when they're on tour here.  Can't wait to go!  Prices weren't nearly as high as they were in NYC.  (Thank goodness!)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2017, 08:15:12 AM »
What a cave I live in.

Hamilton...first I heard about it is when this thread popped to the top today.

I'll file it away.  Maybe if it comes to my city someday and tickets are cheap (less than $100 per) I'll check it out.

So I probably won't ever see it...   I'm OK with that.  What are 'regular' ticket prices for plays anyway?

It will be an equity touring production for decades, I'm sure. Maybe not continuously, but there will be revivals, so you could eventually see it.  Heck, high schools will probably start doing it in the near future when the rights are released.

"Regular" prices vary, both for touring and on Broadway. Many shows never discount, others often do. There are always "premium seats" that cost a ton, and then back of the house that cost way less.  If you wanted to see Wicked next March on broadway, orchestra seats start at $89.

I've actually generally paid more for tours than Broadway, because I always use lotteries and standing room and discounters when in NYC.  You don't get that back home.  The $10 for Hamilton is without a doubt the best deal there is, but $25 for book of mormon was the best one I've gotten so far!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2017, 11:35:01 AM »
If Hamilton was coming to my town, a frugal way to see it would be to become a volunteer usher. You'd have to plan it well in advance, but you'd also get to see a lot of other free shows in the interim.

I'm willing to pay more to see something that achieves the goals of teaching, entertaining, and triggering the urge to learn more. Too many shows seek only to entertain. I believe that is what makes Hamilton such a standout, and worth the money. I've outlined my experience upthread, and I'd still throw down to see it again. Already have the hotel and air miles, so I might consider this strategy when frequent YouTube viewing stops scratching the itch.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2017, 11:31:15 AM »
I just read the book.  I guess if I was really into it I could do a self-service sing-along.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2018, 07:32:29 PM »
OMG! Just bought tickets for Hamilton in April, 2019 at face value! Who the fuck plans anything that far in advance?
Friends who subscribe didn't want to see it again, so they offered us the chance to buy tickets on their account. We paid $385 each the first time from a secondary party. This time, we "only" paid $210 each for better seats. I know this is in no way frugal, but bear with me here.

I have a huge birthday coming up. Six-Zero. Oh, my! When DH asked me what I wanted to do a couple of weeks ago*, Hamilton was all I came up with. I thought it was playing in L.A., but I was wrong, bleh. It is playing in Seattle and Denver. Tickets were available, Southwest had cheap flights, and we have buttloads of IHG points for no-cost hotel room. Still, it would easily have cost more than a dozen Hamiltons. Fuck that. Which is how I ended up with Hamilton tickets in April, 2019, at which time I will be 61+. How's that for delayed gratification?

*In case you don't know (sorry to be boring if you do), his mom has ALZ and lives with us. We live more of a day-to-day existence these days. Sometimes I have no idea how I'll live through the week. Fourteen months from now? Are you kidding me?

MissMoneyBags

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2018, 12:16:54 AM »
I absolutely love the Hamilton soundtrack. I've listened to it about 100 times. I've read the biography it was based on and lin-manuel Mirandas book about the show ( both highly recommended). I've watched the documentary, and I was so excited about seeing it in London. And it added absolutely nothing to my enjoyment of the music and the lyrics. So save your money and listen to the soundtrack instead!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2018, 12:49:36 AM »
I absolutely love the Hamilton soundtrack. I've listened to it about 100 times. I've read the biography it was based on and lin-manuel Mirandas book about the show ( both highly recommended). I've watched the documentary, and I was so excited about seeing it in London. And it added absolutely nothing to my enjoyment of the music and the lyrics. So save your money and listen to the soundtrack instead!
OMG, there's so much good stuff on YouTube, plus I have a couple of other little cast stories that are pretty cool.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2018, 07:22:23 AM »
I love the sound track. About four or five of the tracks on disk 1 are truly beautiful, and the rap battles on disk II are great!

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2018, 08:27:19 AM »
I heard this story on the way to work the other day and thought of this thread.

https://www.cpr.org/news/story/did-you-nab-a-denver-hamilton-ticket-probably-not-here-s-why

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2018, 09:00:33 AM »
Guys! Theatrical performances have "cast recordings".  Movies have soundtracks.

And Hamilton has some truly amazing songs. Some could easily be top 10 hits.

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2018, 11:58:13 AM »
Saw it recently (on a boondoggle -- wouldn't have paid myself). My 2c is skip it and see Phantom or something instead. Songs didn't really do it for me.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2018, 06:55:41 AM »
You know, I actually just saw "Phantom", and I'm not sure Raul is that great a prize. Persuades Christine to go into a dangerous situation, gets himself caught in a noose at a critical moment...it's no victory that they wind up as a couple.

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2018, 07:31:15 AM »
Almost all male heroes in stories composed before say 1990 are emotionally abusive by today's standards. Even many modern male heroes are. It's a sad thing and you can't really unsee it once you see it. The best you can do is try to engage with the art in the context of where it came from.

alanB

• Stubble
« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2018, 08:39:01 AM »
The Hamilton OCR is on Spotify https://open.spotify.com/album/1kCHru7uhxBUdzkm4gzRQc.  It is amazing and literally free.  I also read that they filmed the original cast production already and they will eventually release it.  Be more like Burr, wait for it wait for it...

For people who have never heard of it and would like to learn more, I thought the profile in the New Yorker was pretty good: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/02/09/hamiltons

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2018, 03:47:20 PM »
You know, I actually just saw "Phantom", and I'm not sure Raul is that great a prize. Persuades Christine to go into a dangerous situation, gets himself caught in a noose at a critical moment...it's no victory that they wind up as a couple.
I saw Phantom (LA) and Les Miz (NY) in the same year. Hands down, Les Miz was the better tale. That was the only time I've seen Phantom, but I have seen LM four times around the world. Now, to achieve that goal for Hamilton without going broke.

Cool Hamilton tidbit: A friend has a young man and his parents as clients. The son is a rising actor with a fine voice. He decides to take a chance and audition for Hamilton. He gets called back and called back, singing many, many roles. He begins to lose hope of being cast when he gets a phone call. You see, every person who plays the role of Hamilton must be approved by LMM himself, and they need this young actor to audition for him. You guessed it, he got the role of Alexander Hamilton. His parents are having a blast traveling to every city he is appearing in. I hope he has a long and varied career. What a way to launch a career into orbit!