Author Topic: Lending Club fail  (Read 4965 times)

blackfedora

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Lending Club fail
« on: August 30, 2013, 04:02:18 PM »
I received a pre-approval for up to $35,000 from Lending club.... I currently have a lending account with them. Good job guys...

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Lending Club fail
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 04:11:10 PM »
Haha, awesome! 

You should see if you can be your own funder, just for shits and giggles.

Hugh H

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 08:02:07 PM »
Haha, awesome! 

You should see if you can be your own funder, just for shits and giggles.

Brilliant… pay interest to yourself and save more!

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 10:59:28 PM »
I received a pre-approval for up to $35,000 from Lending club.... I currently have a lending account with them. Good job guys...
So you could borrow money at 6% and lend it out at 15%? 

Yeah, that should work... especially if they'll auto-deduct the P&I payments from your lending account right after it's credited with the monthly deposit.

[/sarcasm]

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 11:03:23 PM »

Yeah, that should work... especially if they'll auto-deduct the P&I payments from your lending account right after it's credited with the monthly deposit.

[/sarcasm]

Many people tried this "arbitrage" in the early days of Prosper (this was before LC existed).  It did not work out well (for a number of reasons).

The announcement the OP got could have been worse, it could have been reversed.  I.e. "You've borrowed 20k from us.  Become a lender!"
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

beltim

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 12:01:15 PM »

[/sarcasm]

Many people tried this "arbitrage" in the early days of Prosper (this was before LC existed).  It did not work out well (for a number of reasons).

The announcement the OP got could have been worse, it could have been reversed.  I.e. "You've borrowed 20k from us.  Become a lender!"

At one point early on in Lending Club I got an offer to take out a Lending Club loan in order to invest in more higher risk loans, in exchange for which I would get a 4% discount on the interest rate.  I have to say I seriously considered it, but I'm glad I didn't participate - returns in that era were significantly below current returns (this is before they reworked the risk determination).  I definitely would have lost money on that deal.